RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 855 856 857 858 859 [860] 861 862 863 864 865 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2008,13:52   

Looks like the whole Expelled release/Darwin's death day thread has been 404-ed.
To sad. I had suggested to use May 25th instead because it's kind of another Lincoln day.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2008,13:54   

Quote (Ptaylor @ Feb. 25 2008,13:31)
Quote (CeilingCat @ Feb. 23 2008,20:56)
More Good Taste from UD:            
23 February 2008
Expelled change of release date centers on the dates of Darwin’s birth and death
salamanca
Ben Stein’s Expelled (www.expelledthemovie.com) was originally scheduled to be released on February 12th of this year — Darwin’s (and Abraham Lincoln’s) birthday. The official release date now is the weekend of April 18th. Saturday, April 19th, is the day that Darwin died. Perhaps this shift of dates is not coincidental.

If you’re going to see Expelled opening weekend, think about seeing it on the 19th to celebrate Darwinism’s passing.

There's a very slim chance this isn't a case of juvenile bad taste.  Many Catholic Saint's Days celebrate the day the saint became a martyr.  Maybe he's trying to say Darwin is a saint and martyr.  But I think that the odds of Salamanca not being a juvie prick are way over the Universal Probability Boundary.

Looks like the whole Expelled release/Darwin's death day thread has been 404-ed.

Catch it in the google cache.
http://209.85.207.104/search?....tp

For now...

Got a SS from the cached version

Many comments get wiped?

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2008,14:02   

Quote (sparc @ Feb. 25 2008,13:52)
To sad. I had suggested to use May 25th instead because it's kind of another Lincoln day.

I thought it was a rather nice use of irony (look the date up, folks!).  I'm not sure any of the UDites understood it, though.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2008,14:04   

Quote (Ptaylor @ Feb. 25 2008,13:31)

Well, sure...

The self-professed geniuses at UD just didn't want to give away their secret plans for their Master Plan victorious strategy for Baiting us Darwinistas into making a fatal mistake.  After all, we know damn well that UD is composed entirely of Master Baiters.

edited

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2008,14:08   

Bwhahaha

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2008,14:10   

Bill, should we have a 404 to the floor thread?

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2008,14:15   

And "Water Lou" has been banned from UD :-)

--------------
Uncommon Descent is a moral cesspool, a festering intellectual ghetto that intoxicates and degrades its inhabitants - Stephen Matheson

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2008,14:16   

wonder if that has anything to do with ceiling cat's design inference?

sal, oh sal, you are being watched.  by cats.  from the ceiling.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2008,14:38   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Feb. 25 2008,14:10)

Yeah.... Excellent.  

But do we have enough bandwidth to carry all that information?

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Annyday

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2008,15:01   

Who was Dembskian, and are you banned yet? :D

--------------
"ALL eight of the "nature" miracles of Jesus could have been accomplished via the electroweak quantum tunneling mechanism. For example, walking on water could be accomplished by directing a neutrino beam created just below Jesus' feet downward." - Frank Tipler, ISCID fellow

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2008,15:25   

BarryA delivers the tard  
How could there have been death before Adam and Eve fell? The answer is, I don’t know. But all I know is, didn’t animals eat bugs? Didn’t bugs eat plants?

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2008,16:19   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Feb. 25 2008,15:25)
BarryA delivers the tard  
How could there have been death before Adam and Eve fell? The answer is, I don’t know. But all I know is, didn’t animals eat bugs? Didn’t bugs eat plants?

What did the plants eat BarryA?

--------------
FTK

Gordon Mullings

Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2008,16:22   

If evolution is true, how come we still have plant eating bugs?

--------------
Uncommon Descent is a moral cesspool, a festering intellectual ghetto that intoxicates and degrades its inhabitants - Stephen Matheson

J. O'Donnell

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2008,17:34   

Quote (Hermagoras @ Feb. 25 2008,08:46)
jerry explains why moms think he's creepy. Only he doesn't.      
When I was in New Zealand with the US Navy, I was assigned duty in Wellington for a meeting of high level politicians. I was outside the parliament building behind a 3 foot high barricade to fence off spectators. I was in civilian clothes and a little girl with her mother said I was a secret service man. She was very cute and after a few minutes she got a little fresh but still cute. I told her if she didn’t be have [sic] I would spank her on her “fanny.” In the US this an affectionate term for one’s bottom and used to be a common women’s name. But in New Zealand and a lot of ex British countries it means quite the opposite anatomically. The little girl, the mother and a lot of others got hostile. So watch out.

Um, jerry . . . I don't know quite how to explain this but . . . Using the term fanny is only part of the problem.  Consider: what if you had told a little girl you didn't know that you were going to spank her on her "bottom"?  

That's not OK either.  See?  Either way, someone's going to pull out the mace.

It's actually illegal to hit a child at all here in New Zealand, thanks to wide ranging sweeping reforms due to the anti-smacking legislation (which of course, predictably did nothing to prevent the hideous abuse of a toddler recently who was thrown into a washing machine, among other things).

But Jerry just establishes that he's a moron, because you firstly don't threaten other peoples children in public and secondly it's best to realise that words mean different things in different countries. He's probably lucky he didn't say it to some little Samoan or Maori girl, otherwise he would have had a stint in a New Zealand hospital.

If evolution is true, how come we still have plant eating bugs?

Does this mean that plants that eat bugs are the result of sin? I'm wondering what came first (because most creationists I've spoken to insist that insects obviously don't get included in the whole all animals were vegetarian thing), bugs that ate plants or plants that ate bugs due to mans sin. QUICK, TO THE SCIENCE LAB TO FIND OUT. We'll need a woman (Kristine?), a man, a talking snake and an apple. Maybe some plants and a few beetles. Let's see which eats the other first, plants or the beetles due to man eating an apple (at the direction of a woman who is herself, taking orders from a talking snake).

--------------
My blog: Animacules

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2008,18:44   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Feb. 25 2008,15:10)

This seems to fit comfortably within the formal definition of Hidden Obliviation. So my move is to transport the obliviated material to the Nixplanatory archives.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2008,19:40   

As I read this thread (and sometimes venture to UD) an image comes to mind:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2bm7aj

Tard flowing from UD like lava flowing from Vesuvius.

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

That's so fucking stupid it merits a wing in the museum of stupid. -midwifetoad

Frequency is just the plural of wavelength...
-JoeG

ERV

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2008,21:07   

WHY DID I HAVE TO HEAR ABOUT THIS FROM JONATHAN SARFATI??

WHY DID NONE OF YOU WARN ME OF THE GENIUS OF LYCHEE RESEARCHERS???

**runs away to her Ivory Tower, sobbing**

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2008,21:26   

Quote (ERV @ Feb. 25 2008,19:07)

Sorry. I didn't know.

It will be alright when you have ripped them into little pieces. You'll feel much better.

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 25 2008,21:38   

Quote (ERV @ Feb. 25 2008,21:07)

IS THIS A TARDOLOGUE? TEH SPELING IS A BIT TWO GUD. I'D GIVE IT A 7, BUT I'D GIVE YOU 1.

FANR FNAR.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 26 2008,00:33   

Quote (Mr_Christopher @ Feb. 21 2008,15:29)
davetard posts the new requirements at UD that educated people must show us your papers...or else...

if you make any claims of having relevant credentials while remaining totally anonymous you’re out the door (you will have to substantiate your claim, retract it along with having it edited out of your comment, or say good-bye). The choice on that is yours. If you earned a degree I’m willing to let you fall back on it if you feel the merits of your arguments can’t support themselves but you at least have to prove you earned that shingle.

This is tremendously unfair! If someone wanders into UD and says "I THINK DARWIN IS STUPED I DIDNT EVOLVE FROM NO MONKY AND I KNOW THIS BECASUE IM AN ENGINEER I FIX TELEVISOIN SETS", why doesn't Dave demand a full set of credentials from them? :angry:

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 26 2008,00:53   

Quote (khan @ Feb. 25 2008,19:40)
As I read this thread (and sometimes venture to UD) an image comes to mind:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2bm7aj

Tard flowing from UD like lava flowing from Vesuvius.

It's The Earth weeping because she can't get away from this stuff.  All those exploding ironymeters are like ants crawling over her skin.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 26 2008,02:58   

Quote (Bob O'H @ Feb. 25 2008,14:02)

I thought it was a rather nice use of irony (look the date up, folks!).  I'm not sure any of the UDites understood it, though.

I'z tryin to figure it out.  But there are so many May 25s!  There's practically one every year!

(From Wikipedia)
1521 - The Diet of Worms ends when Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, issues the Edict of Worms, declaring Martin Luther an outlaw.

1738 - A treaty between Pennsylvania and Maryland ends the Conojocular War with settlement of a boundary dispute and exchange of prisoners.  Settling any Conojocular War is good.  Especially between two American states.

1895 - Playwright, poet and novelist Oscar Wilde is convicted of "committing acts of gross indecency with other male persons" and sentenced to serve two years in prison.  Arden?  Any thoughts?

1925 - Scopes Trial: John T. Scopes is indicted for teaching Darwin's theory of evolution.  Quote the CeilingCat: "Ah haas!"

1953 - Nuclear testing: At the Nevada Test Site, the United States conducts its first and only nuclear artillery test.  This could be it.  Like ID, Nuclear Artillery was Very Bad Idea.

1966 - The first prominent DaZiBao during the Cultural Revolution in China was posted at Peking University.
Ah haas again!  Lookup DaZiBao and you find this: "A key trigger in the Cultural Revolution was the publication of a dazibao on May 25, 1966 by Nie Yuanzi (???) and others at Peking University, claiming that the university was controlled by bourgeois anti-revolutionaries."  That's Dembski, all right.  He's the one who really called the world's Universities on their Christ-denying Corruption™.  And look at what happened next:  "The poster came to the attention of Mao Zedong, who had it broadcast nationally and published in the People's Daily. Big-character posters were soon ubiquitous, used for everything from sophisticated debate to satirical entertainment to rabid denunciation; being attacked in a big-character poster was enough to end one's career."  Yes sir, that's ID in a nutshell.  Paste up a few DaZiBaos, drop a dime to Homeland Security and watch your opponants fall!  That's got to be the May 25 reference.  It's the story of ID.

1887 - Pio of Pietrelcina, Catholic saint born. (d. 1968) Hmm, but Pope John-Paul-George&Ringo was a big fan of Padre Pio and Dembski used to be a Catholic...

1918 - Claude Akins born, American actor (d. 1994) Snif!

1921 - Jack Steinberger born, German-born physicist, Nobel Prize laureate This has got to be it.  Steinberger is just like Sternberger except he accomplished something.

2006 - Desmond Dekker died, Jamaican ska musician (b. 1941) Oh Nos!  CeilingCat very sad, must go mourn.  (Dekker sang "The Israelite", early Reggae hit.)

Edited to spell the Pope's name catrectly.

philbert

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 26 2008,05:45   

Quote (J. O'Donnell @ Feb. 25 2008,17:34)
Quote (Hermagoras @ Feb. 25 2008,08:46)
jerry explains why moms think he's creepy. Only he doesn't.        
When I was in New Zealand with the US Navy, I was assigned duty in Wellington for a meeting of high level politicians. I was outside the parliament building behind a 3 foot high barricade to fence off spectators. I was in civilian clothes and a little girl with her mother said I was a secret service man. She was very cute and after a few minutes she got a little fresh but still cute. I told her if she didn’t be have [sic] I would spank her on her “fanny.” In the US this an affectionate term for one’s bottom and used to be a common women’s name. But in New Zealand and a lot of ex British countries it means quite the opposite anatomically. The little girl, the mother and a lot of others got hostile. So watch out.

Um, jerry . . . I don't know quite how to explain this but . . . Using the term fanny is only part of the problem.  Consider: what if you had told a little girl you didn't know that you were going to spank her on her "bottom"?  

That's not OK either.  See?  Either way, someone's going to pull out the mace.

It's actually illegal to hit a child at all here in New Zealand, thanks to wide ranging sweeping reforms due to the anti-smacking legislation (which of course, predictably did nothing to prevent the hideous abuse of a toddler recently who was thrown into a washing machine, among other things).

Long time lurker, first time poster. The usual introductory story.

I just wanted to chime in with a little local colour on this fanny/bottom story from jerry. The Parliament buildings are just a hundred metres down the road from me, it's worth noting that the "3 foot high barricades" are only put up when there's a demonstration on, to stop protesters blocking the steps up to the building. So when he says "spectators" -- rather than, you know, "tourists" -- he could well be revealing that he was there at just such a time.

And, as J. O'Donnell points out (though, to quibble, the reforms were hardly "sweeping", and the law isn't how J. characterises it), there was recent legislative change just on the question of smacking children. You have to wonder, then, if jerry managed to make his spectacularly stupid comments in a crowd of anti-smacking protesters.

Sure, it just compounds the dumbness. But these people manage that with staggering regularity, don't they?

Amadan

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 26 2008,06:11   

Is it relevant somehow that Salamanca is where Franco was proclaimed Generalissimo? Are we on the verge of a power struggle within Creationism? Is Dr Dr D. no longer to be The Wizard of ID?

Apropos nothing in particular, the names of the Chancellors of the University of Salamanca are painted in large red letters on the walls of the cathedral there. They fade over time, but that of the dear Caudillo is kept in mint condition.

¡ Cara al Sol!

--------------
"People are always looking for natural selection to generate random mutations" - Densye  4-4-2011
JoeG BTW dumbass- some variations help ensure reproductive fitness so they cannot be random wrt it.

J. O'Donnell

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 26 2008,06:14   

Quote (philbert @ Feb. 26 2008,05:45)

though, to quibble, the reforms were hardly "sweeping", and the law isn't how J. characterises it

Well, it's certainly stupid and doesn't actually do anything about what it was put up to try to do. Thankfully, when National [hopefully] cleans out Labour in the next election it will hopefully get repealed.

Hopefully.

--------------
My blog: Animacules

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 26 2008,06:14   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Feb. 26 2008,02:58)

I'z tryin to figure it out.  But there are so many May 25s!  There's practically one every year!

----snip---

1953 - Nuclear testing: At the Nevada Test Site, the United States conducts its first and only nuclear artillery test.  This could be it.  Like ID, Nuclear Artillery was Very Bad Idea.

Yeah, I'm a bit perplexed by all the possibilities for May 25th irony as well. But I'm drawn to the suggestion of nuclear artillery. One of the few surviving 280 mm Atomic Cannons is a prominent roadside attraction near here, perched on a hill above Ft. Riley. It takes guts (or something) to build such a monument to stupidity; perhaps someday there will be a similar display in Seattle, featuring photos of praying Marines...

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 26 2008,06:35   

Of course, the all time greatest ID invention was Dr. Dr. Salvador O'Dempski's Nuclear Hand Grenade.  Which would have worked well, if his arm had just been a little bit stronger...

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 26 2008,06:38   

Jeeze, I just read your reference and they mention the nuclear hand grenade!  So it's definitely not a myth!

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 26 2008,06:39   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Feb. 26 2008,02:58)

I think 1805 may be year that you are searching for. Observe.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 26 2008,06:47   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Feb. 26 2008,06:14)
Yeah, I'm a bit perplexed by all the possibilities for May 25th irony as well. But I'm drawn to the suggestion of nuclear artillery. One of the few surviving 280 mm Atomic Cannons is a prominent roadside attraction near here, perched on a hill above Ft. Riley. It takes guts (or something) to build such a monument to stupidity; perhaps someday there will be a similar display in Seattle, featuring photos of praying Marines...

There is another one of those atomic cannons on display on the Cannon Walk at Fort Sill, down near Lawton, OK.  It is the  capstone of a sizeable display of artillery that spans numerous countries and wars (at least back to WWI).  Of course, Fort Sill is the "headquarters" of field artillery for the US Army, so Atomic Annie is more topical there.

EDIT: For any history buffs, Fort Sill is a great place to visit and is situated next to the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Reserve.  Beautiful country.  And you can have a longhorn burger at the Meers Store.  Cyclists note that there is a organized ride each year that starts and ends in Meers with distances up to 100K.  It goes through the Wildlife Reserve and surrounding ranchland.  Much fun!

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 855 856 857 858 859 [860] 861 862 863 864 865 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]