RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 163 164 165 166 167 [168] 169 170 171 172 173 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
k.e

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,06:03   

I second that Mr C.

I for one am going to find the missing Frisson not nearly as entertaining, its just going to be god this and god that and god up the wazzy.

What the D needs is a good Devil to run score.

Hey, whatabout Janiehell? Snicker…at least then, someone with balls would be on the site……. oh wait…

--------------
The conservative has but little to fear from the man whose reason is the servant of his passions, but let him beware of him in whom reason has become the greatest and most terrible of the passions.These are the wreckers of outworn empires and civilisations, doubters, disintegrators, deicides.Haldane

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,06:47   

http://www.uncommondescent.com/index.php/archives/1338#comment-48863

ftrp11

You write, “You are trying to portray those evolutionists as not believing that the fossil record provides sound proof for evolution.”

Absolutely untrue. Look at my comment again. You will see that I offered the quotations with absolutely no commentary of any kind or nature whatsoever. I am not trying to “portray” anything other than what the evolutionists said. I let them speak for themselves. You can believe the evolutionists believe something other than what they wrote or that they believe something about topics on which they were not writing, but that has nothing to do with what I wrote.

Comment by BarryA — July 21, 2006 @ 11:14 am

BarryA has been in the quote mines again, and when called on it, he comes back with that he isn't making any commentary, so putting up quotes out of context is fair game.  Let the reader make the inference that he wants by not putting up the whole entire passage.

So, either he is making no argument, in which case why even post at all, or he is making a specious argument using quote mining.  Good job BarryA, way to hold to that intellectual honesty that you were chirping about the Creationists having when quoting those darned evilutionists.

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,06:50   

Quote (Mr_Christopher @ July 21 2006,10:49)
I have said this a thousand times and I'll say it again, I am astonished when I read the idiotic things Dembski writes.  More perplexing is the fact that his followers fall for it.  They don't fall for it, they eat it up.

And, of course Tactiturnus is falling all over himself trying to explain it all away.  'See, talking about a design being good or not has nothing to do with purpose.'  Yeah, right.

2ndclass

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,07:03   

GilDodgen:  
On the other hand, I would argue that proponents of intelligent design theory have met the above-mentioned standard of scientific integrity. They simply assert: “Based on the evidence, we believe that an inference to design is scientifically justified, but we can draw no conclusions from that evidence as to how, why, where, or when design was implemented. The design inference is open to refutation through the demonstration of detailed materialistic mechanisms that can account for it.”

So IDers have no burden to show "how, why, where, or when design was implemented," but evolutionists are required to demonstrate "detailed materialistic mechanisms."  And Gil says this with a straight face in a post about integrity.

--------------
"I wasn't aware that classical physics had established a position on whether intelligent agents exercising free were constrained by 2LOT into increasing entropy." -DaveScot

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,07:07   

Quote (2ndclass @ July 21 2006,12:03)
GilDodgen:    
On the other hand, I would argue that proponents of intelligent design theory have met the above-mentioned standard of scientific integrity. They simply assert: “Based on the evidence, we believe that an inference to design is scientifically justified, but we can draw no conclusions from that evidence as to how, why, where, or when design was implemented. The design inference is open to refutation through the demonstration of detailed materialistic mechanisms that can account for it.”

So IDers have no burden to show "how, why, where, or when design was implemented," but evolutionists are required to demonstrate "detailed materialistic mechanisms."  And Gil says this with a straight face in a post about integrity.

It's not ID's job to match evolution's pathetic level of detail...or something like that.  WAD said so.

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,07:10   

http://www.uncommondescent.com/index.php/archives/1341#comment-48876

“So are you saying Darwinists have less integrity and are more dishonest than IDers? Does that violate Denyse’s Rule 2: Here we critique the argument, not the person. Therefore, we don’t do personal abuse or cussing.”

They aren’t critiquing the person, but rather their *methods*. Attacking a person would be something like, “you’re an idiot”, or “you’re a jew”, or “you’re a communist.” Attacking the methology (such as a person ignoring evidence or absense thereof and positing imaginings instead, etc) is not attacking a person, but their method, and of course, is fair game.

Comment by mike1962 — July 21, 2006 @ 11:50 am

The new theory of ID: if you can say it with a straight face, then it's true.

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,07:14   

Taciturnus is defending Dembski's idiotic remark about redesign, so let's see how he is doing...

http://www.uncommondescent.com/index.php/archives/1340#comment-48875

mr xplct my lst: qstns f qlty r nt bynd D, bt qstns f prps r. “Ws t dsgnd wll?” cn b nswrd mprclly. “Why dd h dsgn t tht wy?” cn’t b nswrd mprclly. Y nd t sk th dsgnr.

Dmbsk dd nt ddrss th prpss f th dsgnr, bt nly th qlty f dsgn n nswrng th qstn bt vltnry chng.

Ths qstn: “why wrn’t thy dsgnd wll ngh n th frst plc?” s nt smthng D ddrsss.

Chrs,
DT

Comment by taciturnus — July 21, 2006 @ 11:48 am

Oh, not so good.  The first visible victim!

Oh, and note that his initials are DT.  Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,07:16   

http://www.uncommondescent.com/index.php/archives/1340#comment-48839

Looks like one of the UD mods has already 'disemvoweled' post #16 by taciturnus.  WTF?  Anyone know why that was done?

--------------
"CO2 can't re-emit any trapped heat unless all the molecules point the right way"
"All the evidence supports Creation baraminology"
"If it required a mind, planning and design, it isn't materialistic."
"Jews and Christians are Muslims."

- Joke "Sharon" Gallien, world's dumbest YEC.

argystokes

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,07:20   

Oh, and note that his initials are DT.  Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

What's more, he normally signs his posts Dave T.

--------------
"Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?" -Calvin

dhogaza

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,07:42   

BarryA's at the quote-mine game again.
Let me get this straight. Stephen Jay Gould wrote, “All paleontologists know that the fossil record contains precious little in the way of intermediate forms; transitions between major groups are characteristically abrupt,” in the article cited above.

Is it your position that when he wrote this Gould meant something OTHER THAN that paleontologists know the fossil record contains little in the way of intermediate forms and that transitions between major groups are abrupt? Do you further believe that, in context, Gould’s real position that is in stark contrast to the quoted language will be revealed?

To which I responded that the five words written by Gould that follow the quote are:
Although I reject this argument ...

Which, of course, reveals that in context Gould's real position is, indeed, in stark contrast to the quoted language.

Needless to say, my comment has not been approved and is invisible.

When accused of quote-mining by another poster, he dishonestly says
(another poster) writes, “You are trying to portray those evolutionists as not believing that the fossil record provides sound proof for evolution.”

Absolutely untrue. Look at my comment again. You will see that I offered the quotations with absolutely no commentary of any kind or nature whatsoever. I am not trying to “portray” anything other than what the evolutionists said. I let them speak for themselves. You can believe the evolutionists believe something other than what they wrote or that they believe something about topics on which they were not writing, but that has nothing to do with what I wrote.

Lawyers lyin' lovingly for the lord.  Gotta love it.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,07:47   

Now they're disemvowelled Ofro. Boy, it didn't take them long to get back to sucking balls, did it?

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,07:48   

Two more posts at UD just got 'disemvoweled', these by Ofro.

So much for the new look 'kinder and gentler' UD where honest discussion is encouraged. ;)

ETA  What I don't understand is - why go to all the trouble to 'disemvowel' a post?  Why not just delete the whole message to begin with?  Is it so they can claim that all dissenting posters can still post?  Or is it just a middle finger to the dissenters?

--------------
"CO2 can't re-emit any trapped heat unless all the molecules point the right way"

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,07:50   

Quote (dhogaza @ July 21 2006,12:42)
Lawyers lyin' lovingly for the lord.

Wow, try saying that 10 times fast.

Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,07:53   

Quote (stevestory @ July 21 2006,12:47)
Now they're disemvowelled Ofro. Boy, it didn't take them long to get back to sucking balls, did it?

Who exactly is removing the vowels?

--------------
Uncommon Descent is a moral cesspool, a festering intellectual ghetto that intoxicates and degrades its inhabitants - Stephen Matheson

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,07:58   

I wonder if DaveTard left himself a 'backdoor' to Dembski's site so he could still do a bit of creative editing?

--------------

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,08:02   

Okay, now I've been disemvowelled, but they did so in a completely irrational way.

July 21, 2006
Honesty and Integrity in Science

In his post about the fossil record, Barry raised an important point concerning honesty and integrity in science. Proponents of a scientific theory should consider all the evidence and weigh its overall implications, not choose evidence selectively to support a conclusion that has already been reached. This is a basic axiom in the scientific enterprise. There are mountains of evidence supporting long periods of stasis and sudden emergence in the fossil record, especially where the record is most complete. This is usually ignored. Instead, emphasis is placed on putative, rare (especially in comparison to the entire known record) “transitionals,” with no means of establishing ancestor/descendent relationships except through the use of imagination.

David Berlinski refers to the fossil record as “completely mystifying.” The same could be said of the existence of life’s complexity, functional integration and information content, at least in the absence of design.

An honest approach by proponents of Darwinian evolutionary theory would be to simply say: “The Darwinian mechanism is the best naturalistic, materialistic explanation we have been able to come up with. Overall, the fossil record remains mystifying in Darwinian terms, and it must be admitted that there is no conclusive evidence that random mutation and natural selection have the creative power to account for all of the characteristics of living systems. However, until a better naturalistic explanation comes along, we have chosen to stick with the current Darwinian paradigm.” Instead, we are consistently assured that the matter is settled, that only the details remain to be filled in, and that all objections are motivated by religious conviction.

Filed under: Intelligent Design — GilDodgen @ 10:36 am

10 Comments »

So are you saying Darwinists have less integrity and are more dishonest than IDers? Does that violate Denyse’s Rule 2:

2. Here we critique the argument, not the person. Therefore, we don’t do personal abuse or cussing.

Are Darwinists allowed to argue that IDers have less integrity and are more dishonest than Darwinists, or is this a one-way street?

Comment by stevie steve — July 21, 2006 @ 11:01 am

Hear him! Hear him! Particularly annoying is the Darwinist propensity to talk about the “fact” of evolution. Futuyma goes so far as to compare that “fact” to the fact that the earth orbits the sun.

At the risk of overusing this phrase, let me get this straight Professor Futuyma. Are you saying that certain inferences you have drawn about the history of life, which inferences are based upon certain assumptions you have made about the nature of life, are epistemologically equivalent to conclusions we draw by present observations of the physical universe? Isn’t that just plain silly?

Comment by BarryA — July 21, 2006 @ 11:05 am

“So are you saying Darwinists have less integrity and are more dishonest than IDers? Does that violate Denyse’s Rule 2: Here we critique the argument, not the person. Therefore, we don’t do personal abuse or cussing.”

They aren’t critiquing the person, but rather their *methods*. Attacking a person would be something like, “you’re an idiot”, or “you’re a jew”, or “you’re a communist.” Attacking the methology (such as a person ignoring evidence or absense thereof and positing imaginings instead, etc) is not attacking a person, but their method, and of course, is fair game.

Comment by mike1962 — July 21, 2006 @ 11:50 am

So Darwinists are free here to argue that IDers are dishonest and lack integrity?

Comment by stevie steve — July 21, 2006 @ 12:06 pm

My comments represent an observation about the current state of affairs within the Darwinian establishment, not an ad hominem attack. The point I made is one of the major themes of Phillip Johnson’s seminal work, Darwin On Trial.

Comment by GilDodgen — July 21, 2006 @ 12:24 pm

Does that mean Darwinists are free here to argue that IDers are dishonest and lack integrity?

Comment by stevie steve — July 21, 2006 @ 12:42 pm

stevie steve:

It means that Darwinists are free to argue that ID methodology is unsound, flawed etc… with data to support the argument.

Keep posting the same question here ad nauseam and you’ll quickly be shown the door.

Comment by Scott — July 21, 2006 @ 12:47 pm

Look, I come here, I see that Darwinists are being called dishonest and of low integrity. All I’m asking is, do Darwinists get to argue the same thing about IDers. And nobody’s yet said yes or no. All I want is an answer.

Comment by stevie steve — July 21, 2006 @ 12:49 pm

Sure as long as you avoid ad hominem attacks on individuals and back up your claims with sound data.

Comment by Scott — July 21, 2006 @ 1:02 pm

Tht’s ll wntd.

Comment by stevie steve — July 21, 2006 @ 1:02 pm

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,08:08   

And, the disemvoweled posts are mysteriously gone.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,08:10   

gonna go ahead and archive this here too, god knows what'll happen to it

July 21, 2006
Iders: Start by asking different questions

Recently, National Review’s John Derbyshire took on George Gilder’s case against Darwinism and for ID.

To Gilder’s “Darwinian Theory has Become an All-Purpose Obstacle to Thought Rather than an Enabler of Scientific Advance” (his subtitle, actually), Derbyshire ripostes against ID,

After being around for many years, it has not produced any science. George’s own Discovery Institute was established in 1990; the offshoot Center for Science and Culture (at first called the Center for the Renewal of Science and Culture) in 1992. That is an aggregate 30 years. Where is the science?

(Now, combining the figures in this way to get “thirty” is a bit dodgy.

I mean, in the same way, you could combine my age with my two daughters’ ages, and come up with a single human who is nearly 120 years old, but …)

It seems to me that ID is so different from Darwinism that if IDers want to make their case, they should probably not focus primarily on trying to get papers published in a hostile atmosphere, useful as that may be, but rather by asking different questions of nature.

As we journalists know well, people who ask different questions often discover different things.

Here’s one question that intrigues me: Why do some life forms not evolve, or so little that it hardly matters? The coelacanth and the cockroach come to mind, but there are others, including common ferns and cycads. Surely these life forms experience genetic mutations and changes in their environment.

If some life forms are especially well adapted over long periods of time, can general principles that are not mere tautologies (= they survived because they were fit and we know they were fit because they survived) be derived? If not, why not?

It strikes me that if IDers can make useful contributions by thinking about a problem differently from Darwinists, it is irrelevant whether a Darwinist allegedly “could have” made the same finding.

In the context, “could have” is a grammatical tense parallel to real time, not intersecting with it.
Filed under: Intelligent Design — O'Leary @ 8:35 am

20 Comments »

The question of evolutionary stasis is an interesting one (though I think evolutionists would say the cockroches have continued to ‘evolve’).

The question I have wondered about recently has to do with the biological ‘explosions’ we see in the fossil record, like the Cambrian explosion. If indeed the 30+ phyla that appeared in the Cambrian were the product of mutation and NS acting on the simpler life forms that preceded them, and mutation and NS has continued to act on those same simple life forms for the last 500 million years, why has no such explosion occurred again? After all, if that is how evolution acted on those life forms, and those life forms continued to exist, why would they do so without producing another explosion of new phyla, body plans, and tissues?

Comment by jhudson — July 21, 2006 @ 8:59 am

What a weak column…I would say that the whack a mole is exactly what the evolutionary establishment is guilty of. If you have not read Gilder’s column, I strongly recommend reading through it.

Dan

Comment by Dan — July 21, 2006 @ 9:02 am

“Here’s one question that intrigues me: Why do some life forms not evolve, or so little that it hardly matters? The coelacanth and the cockroach come to mind, but there are others, including common ferns and cycads. Surely these life forms experience genetic mutations and changes in their environment.”

Come to think of it: What is ID’s explanation for this apparent lack of evolutionary change?

Comment by ofro — July 21, 2006 @ 9:48 am

Question: “What is ID’s explanation for this apparent lack of evolutionary change?”

Answer: Redesign (technological evolution) itself requires design, and lots of things are designed so well in the first place that they don’t need to be redesigned.

Comment by William Dembski — July 21, 2006 @ 10:02 am

Come to think of it: What is ID’s explanation for this apparent lack of evolutionary change?

One of the main contentions of ID was that there was no ‘evolutionary change’ in the larger sense because the organisms that exist are the product of intentional design; as such, the theory itself is the explanation.

Comment by jhudson — July 21, 2006 @ 10:07 am

I’m intrigued by these ‘different questions’. What would you say is the best ID research which has been done so far this year?

Comment by stevie steve — July 21, 2006 @ 10:24 am

“Come to think of it: What is ID’s explanation for this apparent lack of evolutionary change?”

ID’s explanation for the apparent lack of evolutionary change is the same as Einstein’s explanation for the apparent lack of ether. It’s apparently missing because it actually IS missing, like the apparent lack of unicorns. The only sort of change we have evidence for is minor changes within kind, like finch beaks getting larger or smaller.

Cheers,
     Dave T.

Comment by taciturnus — July 21, 2006 @ 10:29 am

“Answer: Redesign (technological evolution) itself requires design, and lots of things are designed so well in the first place that they don’t need to be redesigned.”

That’s fair. But your answer seems to imply that, at least occasionally, things get redesigned in Nature. And if so, why weren’t they designed well enough in the first place?

Comment by ofro — July 21, 2006 @ 10:43 am

Ofro,

That is also a fair question, but it is irrelevant to the question of the existence of design. That would be the “bad design means no design” fallacy. It is also a question that moves beyond ID as a scientific enterprise and into the realm of philosophy. No problem with going there, as long as we recognize the question is no longer one of ID but of philosophy.

Cheers,
     Dave T.

Comment by taciturnus — July 21, 2006 @ 11:05 am

Ofro,

That is also a fair question, but it is irrelevant to the question of the existence of design. That would be the “bad design means no design” fallacy.

Ofro did not say bad design means no design. You might have encountered that argument before, but Ofro didn’t make it. And if you take a look, Mr. Dembski said that “Redesign (technological evolution) itself requires design, and lots of things are designed so well in the first place that they don’t need to be redesigned.” was ID’s explanation, he did not say it was an explanation beyond ID.

Comment by stevie steve — July 21, 2006 @ 11:15 am

“No problem with going there, as long as we recognize the question is no longer one of ID but of philosophy.”

Then permit me a related question: The fossil record tells us that there are a lot of species/designs that disappeared after a certain period. Is an explanation for this disappearance also restricted to the realm of philosophy, or can ID account for that?

Comment by ofro — July 21, 2006 @ 11:20 am

Ofro’s question is why something was not well-designed in the first place. It is not a question of redesign, but initial design. At least that is what I think he meant by “in the first place.” And Dembski’s comment makes no assertions one way or the other about the reasons for an initial design’s perfection or lack of it.

I stand by my point. Speculation into why an initial design was done one way rather than another is not part of ID proper as a science. That would require, at least, knowledge of the designer and his/her/its purposes, which ID explicitly does not require. ID, at least for now, is about detecting design, not ferreting out the reasons for design.

Cheers,
     Dave T.

Comment by taciturnus — July 21, 2006 @ 11:31 am

Dembski said that ID’s explanation involves “designed so well”. Taciturnus says those kinds of statements are beyond ID. Sorry, I have to go with Dembski over Taciturnus, as he’s the expert in ID.

Comment by stevie steve — July 21, 2006 @ 11:34 am

Ofro,

Natural selection as a *destructive* force is well-established empirically. We observe it happening all the time. It is reasonable to conclude, therefore, that species in the past went out of existence for the same reasons they do now: They can no longer survive in their environment. On this, ID and Darwinism agrees.

Cheers,
     Dave T.

Comment by taciturnus — July 21, 2006 @ 11:39 am

Steve,

“designed so well” says nothing about purpose. The original question was about WHY things are well or not-so-well designed, not WHETHER they are well or not-so-well designed.

DT

Comment by taciturnus — July 21, 2006 @ 11:42 am

Denyse, in response to your comment:

“Why do some life forms not evolve, or so little that it hardly matters? The coelacanth and the cockroach come to mind, but there are others, including common ferns and cycads. Surely these life forms experience genetic mutations and changes in their environment.”

Sometimes, what appears to be primitive and unchanged is not that way at all. Consider the Platypus for example. It has many reptilian features, including a cloaca (a single exit for anus, urethra and reproductive tract), it lays eggs, and it does not have nipples (although it does produce milk). In these respects and others it is a very primitive mammal that might not seemed to have changed very much over the past 200 million years. On the other hand it has that magnificent duck-bill which is a very sophisticated piece of navigation-equipment, that functions in a manner that is analogous to our detection of vision, a dog’s detection of smell, or a bat’s detection of sound. In the case of the platypus bill it is used to provide tactile (touch) sensory information…and it is very sophisticated indeed. So parts of its body have continued to serve it’s needs very well, primitive as they may seem, other parts have continued to change to allow it to capitalize maximally within a particular ecological niche.

Other organisms, have changed relatively little in all aspects of their body’s anatomy and physiology…as you indicate. This is no surprise at all to biologists. The sparseness of anatomical and physiological change relates to the stability of the particular ecological niche to which they are adapted. Not all niches change…if the organism continues to be well-adapted to its environment it can be in stasis and can exist that way as long as the niche for which it is adapted doesn’t change.

I don’t see that there is any tautology involved in this. We can point to examples in our own society in which certain aspects about our environment have changed dramatically over the years whereas others have stayed the same. A pastor for example is still a pastor…that niche of being a leader of a church still exists and has for a long time. On the other hand, a computer programmer is a new niche that never existed when I was growing up. It is not surprising that the same sort of thing is true of ecological niches in nature.

Comment by darrel falk — July 21, 2006 @ 11:52 am

If ID can, as Dembski says, make statements about how good a design is, why can’t it hypothesize about the designer’s capabilities and motives, Taciturnus? Why are the putative space aliens off-limits to the kind of inferences we generate about human designers?

Comment by stevie steve — July 21, 2006 @ 12:21 pm

For the record,

The modifications of my comments (dropping all vowels) was not my doing

Comment by ofro — July 21, 2006 @ 12:41 pm

What in the world rule are taciturnus and ofro violating, that their posts are being disemvowelled?

Comment by stevie steve — July 21, 2006 @ 12:44 pm

I have to admit that I thought taciturnus’ first “edited” comment was a clever way by him to underscore the point he wanted to make about the degradation of information. Doing the same to my comments is no longer funny.

Comment by ofro — July 21, 2006 @ 12:50 pm

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,08:11   

Quote (Occam's Aftershave @ July 21 2006,12:48)
Two more posts at UD just got 'disemvoweled', these by Ofro.

So much for the new look 'kinder and gentler' UD where honest discussion is encouraged. ;)

ETA  What I don't understand is - why go to all the trouble to 'disemvowel' a post?  Why not just delete the whole message to begin with?  Is it so they can claim that all dissenting posters can still post?  Or is it just a middle finger to the dissenters?

I've always thought disemvowelment was something blogs do when they want to Make An Example of you. Merely deleting a comment is subtle and potentially ambiguous. Disemvowelling them makes a statement. Like putting a head on a barbed-wire fence.

UD hasn't disemvowelled anyone in AGES, is this entirely the Church Lady's idea?

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,08:13   

The plot thickens:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/index.php/archives/1340#comment-48892

From moderator Denyse: For Ofro and anyone else wondering, all the vowel-free comments have been deleted.

Anyone who fancies that sort of thing can sell the skills gained to publishers of game books.

People who prefer private or idiosyncratic languages can start their own blog for free at Blogger.

This blog is for posters in conventional English.

Comment by O'Leary — July 21, 2006 @ 1:08 pm

The Church Lady is clueless.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,08:15   

Not sure what’s going on with the vowel issue. We’ll look into it.

Comment by Scott — July 21, 2006 @ 1:11 pm

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,08:17   

ID’s explanation for the apparent lack of evolutionary change is the same as Einstein’s explanation for the apparent lack of ether. It’s apparently missing because it actually IS missing, like the apparent lack of unicorns. The only sort of change we have evidence for is minor changes within kind, like finch beaks getting larger or smaller.

Oooh, check out that word 'kind', that's a dead giveaway to where Dave T's sympathies lie...

From moderator Denyse: For Ofro and anyone else wondering, all the vowel-free comments have been deleted.

Anyone who fancies that sort of thing can sell the skills gained to publishers of game books.

WTF? If Church Lady didn't disemvowel them, who the fuck *did*?

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,08:19   

LOL. So some UD moderater is disemvowelling random posts, and then Denyse comes along and says "You ne'er do wells aren't going to talk in that funny little language on my blog." and she deletes them.

Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread just grinned and put his feet up on the desk.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,08:24   

Quote (Occam's Aftershave @ July 21 2006,12:58)

I wonder if DaveTard left himself a 'backdoor' to Dembski's site so he could still do a bit of creative editing?

That would be hilariously funny, if so! And very in character for Dave. His ultimate "fire ME will you?" screw you. :p

I think we can add computers to the list of things Denyse doesn't know a lot about...

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,08:30   

Sorry, just had to comment on this:

Then permit me a related question: The fossil record tells us that there are a lot of species/designs that disappeared after a certain period. Is an explanation for this disappearance also restricted to the realm of philosophy, or can ID account for that?

Shit, I cannot believe the hermetically-sealed little bubble IDers exist in. Like the vast literature on biology and natural history never existed.

--------------

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,08:30   

#

’m nt tht clvr… ’m s pzzld s y bt th vwls. ’v bn pstr hr fr lng tm nd t’s th frst tm t’s hppnd.

stv,

Spcltn bt th dsgnr’s mtvs s nt ff-lmts, t’s jst tht sch qstns r nt rslvbl wthn th frmwrk f D. t s n thng t mprclly dntfy dsgn thrgh th xplntry fltr, cmplx-spcfd nfrmtn, nd th lk. Sch prcss s ndpndnt f th ntr f th dsgnr r vn hs/ts cntnng xstnc.

t s qt nthr qstn t frrt t smn’s mtvtns. Tht’s qstn fr psychlgy, phlsphy r myb prsnl ntrvw.

My mjr pnt s tht D s nt rqrd t nswr th mtvtn qstns, r vn ddrss thm, n rdr t dntfy dsgn. W ftn sld ff nt phlsphy nd rlgn hr, whch s fn, bt w shld nt mstk flr t rslv phlsphcl qstns fr flr f D s scnc.

Chrs,
Dv T.

Comment by taciturnus — July 21, 2006 @ 1:14 pm
#

Uh, denyse, somebody on your end is doing that. We’re just typing in regular comments, and they’re being disemvowelled.

Comment by stevie steve — July 21, 2006 @ 1:15 pm
#

Oh the good old days of Dembski as sole moderator ….

Comment by ofro — July 21, 2006 @ 1:15 pm
#

From moderator Denyse: That sounds remarkable to me, given that only some of the comments have the vowels removed. Not likely happening at this end. But I will make an enquiry.

Comment by O'Leary — July 21, 2006 @ 1:27 pm

dhogaza

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,08:41   

From moderator Denyse: That sounds remarkable to me, given that only some of the comments have the vowels removed. Not likely happening at this end. But I will make an enquiry.

And this woman's going to help Dumbski topple all of modern biology?

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,08:41   

#

From moderator Denyse: Frankly, I don’t know, butf or now I am simply going to close the box and ask for advice.

Comment by O'Leary — July 21, 2006 @ 1:37 pm
#

Denyse,
It’s OK if you remove the disemvoweled messages because they are a pain to decipher. But I hope they have been saved in their original, submitted form so that you can repost them. And please find this apparently unauthorized editor. Thanks,

Comment by ofro — July 21, 2006 @ 1:38 pm

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,08:43   

Quote (stevestory @ July 21 2006,13:30)
#

’m nt tht clvr… ’m s pzzld s y bt th vwls. ’v bn pstr hr fr lng tm nd t’s th frst tm t’s hppnd.

stv,

Spcltn bt th dsgnr’s mtvs s nt ff-lmts, t’s jst tht sch qstns r nt rslvbl wthn th frmwrk f D. t s n thng t mprclly dntfy dsgn thrgh th xplntry fltr, cmplx-spcfd nfrmtn, nd th lk. Sch prcss s ndpndnt f th ntr f th dsgnr r vn hs/ts cntnng xstnc.

t s qt nthr qstn t frrt t smn’s mtvtns. Tht’s qstn fr psychlgy, phlsphy r myb prsnl ntrvw.

My mjr pnt s tht D s nt rqrd t nswr th mtvtn qstns, r vn ddrss thm, n rdr t dntfy dsgn. W ftn sld ff nt phlsphy nd rlgn hr, whch s fn, bt w shld nt mstk flr t rslv phlsphcl qstns fr flr f D s scnc.

Chrs,
Dv T.

Comment by taciturnus — July 21, 2006 @ 1:14 pm
#

Uh, denyse, somebody on your end is doing that. We’re just typing in regular comments, and they’re being disemvowelled.

Comment by stevie steve — July 21, 2006 @ 1:15 pm
#

Oh the good old days of Dembski as sole moderator ….

Comment by ofro — July 21, 2006 @ 1:15 pm
#

Comment by O'Leary — July 21, 2006 @ 1:27 pm

No scientific skills
No grasp of technology.

Top choice for a 'science' blog.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

C.J.O'Brien

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2006,08:44   

"Incontheiveable!"

--------------
The is the beauty of being me- anything that any man does I can understand.
--Joe G

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 163 164 165 166 167 [168] 169 170 171 172 173 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]