RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 189 190 191 192 193 [194] 195 196 197 198 199 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2006,11:22   

Oh yeah, he really is that dumb. He's got that same 1000-yard stare that convinced me AFDave was the genuine article. 40-50 years from now he'll go to his grave believing Intelligent Design to be a scientific revolution which just hasn't yet gotten around to producing any results in 60 years. Musta been suppressed by the Darwinists.

Robert O'Brien

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2006,13:01   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Aug. 21 2006,12:26)
(BTW, there's a pretty good Davison/Springer Tardfight right here)

LOL! That should have followed the Shatner Roast on Comedy Central.

--------------
Caeli enarrant gloriam Dei

Robert O'Brien

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2006,13:05   

My run in with DaveScot. (Fortunately, he didn't stick around.)

--------------

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2006,13:13   

fair warning:

Obrien is the master of the inept one-liner.

watching him argue with Davetard should be amusing if you keep that in mind.

I find neither one of them amusing myself, but that's just me.

--------------
"And the sea will grant each man new hope..."

-CC

jujuquisp

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2006,13:47   

Ichthyic has no sense of humor.  He'll think something is funny when monkeys fly out of my butt.  What a hoser.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2006,14:16   

Quote (jujuquisp @ Aug. 21 2006,18:47)
Ichthyic has no sense of humor.  He'll think something is funny when monkeys fly out of my butt.  

But... uh... that would be funny! Have you, like, scheduled that, or something?

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2006,15:16   

Ichthyic has no sense of humor.  

my sense of humor is fine, i just have no sense of patience.

I get bored with lackluster blowhards like davetard and Obrien quickly.

I still have yet to see Obrien say anything interesting, either here or over on pharyngula (and I'm not the only one), and davetard's exposes got boring after the first couple of weeks, when he was still allowed to post on PT (before he violated no less than 3 posting rules, and threatened the site repeatedly).

oh yeah, these folks are assuredly amusing as trolls go, I just don't find trolls that overly amusing to begin with.

*shrug*

Now Stevestory, BWE, Louis, Arden... those guys are funny.

--------------

-CC

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2006,15:30   

Hey, I am 100% serious! Are you laughing at me or with me?

Oh whatever. I guess I'll take it where I can get it.

--------------
Who said that ev'ry wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it
Look what it's done so far

The Daily Wingnut

Robert O'Brien

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2006,15:44   

Quote (Ichthyic @ Aug. 21 2006,18:13)
fair warning:

Obrien is the master of the inept one-liner.

watching him argue with Davetard should be amusing if you keep that in mind.

I find neither one of them amusing myself, but that's just me.

I was amused to see that not only was my imposter disemvoweled by PZ but so were you for replying to him. Please continue to do so; I prefer your comments that way.

--------------

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 21 2006,18:21   

yeah, i guess you mised the part where right after i posted the first response, the second was to note that it was obviously an imposter i was posting to, as the post was almost humorous.

Yours never are witty nor informative, that's how i figured out it was a spoof.

Will you EVER commit anything intelligent to a blog, Robert?

Just asking the same question all the others that are ready to see you banned over at pharyngula are asking.

That's right, RO, you have officially been deemed a troll.

PZ Myers said:
I'm going to have to start disemvoweling the stuff from Bres Mac Elatha/Robert O'Brien and Jason

why don't you try to argue your case over there?

or are you afraid of immediate disemvowelment?

Hey, most of the trolls we have here on ATBC at least have something of substance to say once in a while.

Even Jason over at Pharyngula has more interesting things (and ridiculous) to say than you do.

here's a challenge for you:

start a thread here on ATBC about anything at all, but you actually have to present some kind of case for it.

see if your thread goes into hundreds of pages like our resident moron's does.

I simply don't think you have much to say, Robert.

--------------

-CC

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2006,01:39   

Icthyic,

Funny how? Like, like a clown funny? You think I'm funny? I'll give you something to laugh at you fuck!

{sound of baseball bat emerging}

No one likes a joke more than me. Except perhaps my wife. And some of her friends. Ok so everyone likes a joke more than me.

Ok so I'm not original, sue me!

Louis

P.S. Are you a one line cdesignproponentist?  Like the advert: "Take two points into the forum? Not me, I just like to troll and go"?

--------------
Bye.

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2006,03:23   

According to AirHead, *I* am the resident litigious git and I'll SUE EVERYONE (in Singapore, no less) if you don't stop this terrible, terrible feuding. Won't SOMEBODY please think of the children?!?

--------------
AtBC Award for Thoroughness in the Face of Creationism

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2006,03:45   

Dembski demonstrates several characteristics of his thinking in the following posts:

(Headline for Dembski's thread):
If the evidence for Darwinian theory were so great, why keep slamming ID? Just present it!

(From Sophophile): Bill, there are thousands of books, textbooks, journal articles and websites presenting the evidence for evolution with natural selection as a driving force. Over 99% of practicing biologists accept evolution, if I recall correctly (I can’t find the survey right now). What evidence for evolution do you think is being withheld?

Why keep slamming ID? Because we critics genuinely believe that ID is incorrect. What could be more natural than arguing against a view you believe is wrong, and arguing for one you believe is right?  I can easily turn the question around and ask, “If the evidence for ID is so great, why keep slamming Darwinian theory? Just present it!”

(From Dembski): ......  Sophophile: Two points before you are booted: (1) the burden of proof is on the chance worshippers to show that natural selection has the creative power attributed to it in building, say, molecular machines — we already know that intelligence can build machines, including nanomachines; (2) the issue is not the number of articles or books cited, but their quality and detail in demonstrating that Darwinian paths exist to such systems.

Good bye.

His most obvious characteristic, intolerance of disagreement, is well displayed in the last comment.

Another key component is that the man is used to thinking in false dichotomies.  The whole "if not the ToE, then ID" dynamic is repeated at small scale in his headline, which views evolutionary biologists as either slamming ID or spending their time supporting their view.  As Sophophile points out so clearly, biologists as a whole (and in some cases as individuals) do both.

Wrapped up with the false dichotomy mindset is massive projection.  Again, Sophophile pointed that out very clearly: the people most guilty of imbalance in spending all their time attacking their opponents and not supporting their own views are the IDists.  It's been a decade and Dembski still hasn't applied his mathematical treatment to real biological examples in any realistic way.

Lastly, again as Sophophile points out, a massive quantity of literature appears every year suporting various aspects of evolutionary biology.  New fossils are found constantly: despite a Dembski claim of "no new fossils today", this year has seen Tiktaalik, Janjucetus, progress in identifying the Doushantuo embryos, and others).  Genetics, biochemistry, and evo-devo are making strides that were unthinkable a decade ago, producing what Dembski described as a "pathetic level of detail" that leaves me awestruck at what those fields can accomplish.  Thus we see in Dembski massive denial, facile dismissal pretty much on par with Behe's demonstration at Dover.  

Closed-mindedness, overly simplistic thinking, false dichotomies, classic projection, and massive denial.  None of that should be news to anyone, but it's certainly an impressively concise example of those failings.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2006,04:31   

Davetard opines:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/index.php/archives/1485

Dave has proven beyond a doubt that intelligent agents can construct useful trial and error algorithms

For soemone who claims technoliteracy, calling GA's "trail and error" shows a massive shortfall in understanding.

Is it 3? No
Is it 6? No
Is it 2? No
Did I say 3?...

GAs could (and do) help technical minds understand the power of evolution. Either Dave's worldview clouds his thinking, his thinking is somewhat lacking for a super genuis polytard, or both.

UD - keeping the web SCIENCE FREE

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Chris Hyland

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2006,05:09   

Thus we see in Dembski massive denial, facile dismissal pretty much on par with Behe's demonstration at Dover.

Basically ID's claim seems to come down to 'if you cant provide Behes crazy level of detail for complex systems' then you cant infer that evolution isnt goal directed. Once you strip away all the jargon and maths that is all it is.

Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2006,05:20   

UD is nothing but a textbook example of the cult of conformity in vivo.  In fact if ID were to ever die Dembski will have no problem starting a new religious movement with himself as the grand poobah.

--------------
Uncommon Descent is a moral cesspool, a festering intellectual ghetto that intoxicates and degrades its inhabitants - Stephen Matheson

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2006,05:33   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Aug. 22 2006,09:31)
Davetard opines:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/index.php/archives/1485

Dave has proven beyond a doubt that intelligent agents can construct useful trial and error algorithms

For soemone who claims technoliteracy, calling GA's "trail and error" shows a massive shortfall in understanding.

Is it 3? No
Is it 6? No
Is it 2? No
Did I say 3?...

GAs could (and do) help technical minds understand the power of evolution. Either Dave's worldview clouds his thinking, his thinking is somewhat lacking for a super genuis polytard, or both.

UD - keeping the web SCIENCE FREE

UD is also keep the web (or at least their corner of it) dissent free for the most part.  Well, at least the threads that DaveTard has control over.  He's deleted scores of messages already, with no comment or anything.  He probably came back just for that reason.  Not being the banninator probably left him feeling empty inside.  Poor, poor DaveTard.

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2006,05:34   

(From Dembski): ......  Sophophile: Two points before you are booted: (1) the burden of proof is on the chance worshippersto show that natural selection has the creative power attributed to it in building, say, molecular machines — we already know that intelligence can build machines, including nanomachines; (2) the issue is not the number of articles or books cited, but their quality and detail in demonstrating that Darwinian paths exist to such systems.

Good bye.

BWAhahahahahahahahahahaha

Holy WTF ......Willy?  .......are you there?

So your 'superior intelligent creator' ..giggle..snort.... is you?

BWAhahahahahahahahahahaha

(can I suggest you check your projector before hitting return)

Crikey if little Willy's 'intelligence' can only build machines WHERE does he get the 'souls' from?

oh...right...... that box over there marked 'heels'.

nihilistic deux ex machina  ......the very thing they accuse us of.

Next week Bill visits the Museum for Old Gods (MOG) and fascinates over Baal v0.9 an interesting model of bronze age god that long before the invention of clockwork was animated by a clever system of water wheels connected by ropes and pulleys to a set of gold eyelids that would wink to the gathered masses.

The gold eyelids were long gone, however, revealing masterful craftsmanship that must have seemed very convincing 2500 years ago, much like a 747 does to the masses today.....They don't care how it works, they just pay their money and climb the ladder.

Interesting handle sophophile.

In "The creation of Adam" (Rome, Vatican, Sistine Chapel) by Michelangelo....yes the past icon of "Industrial Deception"...now replaced by nano-smoke stacks of the god machine makers.

Some say the female figure within God’s left arm is Sophia or "Divine Wisdom" and that Michelangelo’s source was the Bible, specifically Proverbs 8:22-31.

Sadly Dembski lacks both intelligence AND wisdom.

But hey ....what a Divine Comedian in the mold (not mould) of one of Dante's characters.

--------------
The conservative has but little to fear from the man whose reason is the servant of his passions, but let him beware of him in whom reason has become the greatest and most terrible of the passions.These are the wreckers of outworn empires and civilisations, doubters, disintegrators, deicides.Haldane

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2006,09:00   

Wow, DaveTard in his rise back to stardom remembers us, the little guys.  It almost brings a tear to my eye.

http://www.uncommondescent.com/index.php/archives/1485#comment-55181

29.  It has been fairly pointed out at the Panda forum After The Bar Closes that Dave Thomas’ technique is not pure trial and error.

This is true. Each trial is not necessarily a totally random guess. After the first trial the child’s game of “warmer/colder” is employed to evaluate the trial results and solutions that are warmer are preferred over those that are colder as the starting point for the next trial.

Sorry guys, but GAs are still child’s play. Real programmers don’t give hoity-toity names like “Genetic Algorithm” to ways of finding answers that just about every child invents on his own recognizance without being taught. That’s just a really lame attempt by greenhorns to appear smart and innovative. I’m trying really hard to avoid being mocking and contemptuous in my reincarnation here but you church burnin’ ebola boys fellows at ATBC are making it difficult. I can only bite my tongue so much before it gets bit clean through, if you get my drift, and I think you do.

Comment by DaveScot — August 22, 2006 @ 1:18 pm
[note:  the italicized portion is actually struck through in the original...I just don't know how to do that here.]

Of course, it's the same old dimwit.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2006,09:14   

Sorry guys, but GAs are still child’s play. Real programmers don’t give hoity-toity names like “Genetic Algorithm” to ways of finding answers that just about every child invents on his own recognizance without being taught. That’s just a really lame attempt by greenhorns to appear smart and innovative. I’m trying really hard to avoid being mocking and contemptuous in my reincarnation here but you church burnin’ ebola boys fellows at ATBC are making it difficult. I can only bite my tongue so much before it gets bit clean through, if you get my drift, and I think you do.

(Translation: I am trying really hard to pretend to be a real scientist, and I have these fundies at UD convinced, but you bastards keep fucking it up! ! )

Don't be all repressed, Dave. Don't bite your tongue! Just let the invective fly! Your loyal fans demand it, in fact!
:p

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2006,09:21   

Real programmers don’t give hoity-toity names like “Genetic Algorithm” to ways of finding answers that just about every child invents on his own recognizance without being taught. That’s just a really lame attempt by greenhorns to appear smart and innovative.

"real programmers" design cheesy kiddy games years and years and years ago that have long faded into oblivion and yet allow DaveScot to claim "expertise." Uh-huh. Oh, and they do patent searches and approvals.

--------------

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2006,09:25   

And, some tardity from Sal's latest thread on the GA topic...

http://www.uncommondescent.com/index.php/archives/1481#comment-55167

The problem with the CSI angle as I see it is that you still cannot detect design vs accident by mathematics alone if one’s philosophy is wrongheaded. The concept of information originator and information receiver is irrelevant when one accepts the idea that an *infinite* variety of combinations are possible within the universe, or multiverse. The problem with the MET-only crowd is not their science, even though it is limited, and doesn’t explain what they think it does. The problem with them is their philosophy, which is ridiculous. They embrace a methodological meterialism a priori (which usually turns out to be a philosophical materialism in disguise), and then skip along with the notion that matter *can* combine in just the right way to get the self-replicating process going, and then *can* reproduce and develop along the lines MET suggests. Talk about calling the blue sky a different color. They deny the sky is even possible, let alone blue. There’s no use trying to convince someone that the sky is blue if they don’t believe a sky is possible.

[emphasis mine]
No comment necessary I think.

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2006,09:34   

FAAAARK DT does invective AND stupidity in one post....oh.....waitaminute.

So a GA that designs a new  antenna, has the solution (not the method) before it starts....yeah ok.

Sort of like Creationists saying we are here with arms that don't reach the ground because g...er the ant farmer in the sky, knew the perfect length for arms before there WERE arms....right.

DT wouldn't know a GA if one bit him on the arse.

--------------
The conservative has but little to fear from the man whose reason is the servant of his passions, but let him beware of him in whom reason has become the greatest and most terrible of the passions.These are the wreckers of outworn empires and civilisations, doubters, disintegrators, deicides.Haldane

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2006,09:34   

This is cute, too:
Has anyone ever observed unintelligent, blind/ undirected (non-goal oriented) process produce an algorithm? No.
Comment by Joseph — August 22, 2006 @ 11:20 am

#### those snowflakes! #### those seashells with their mutinous fibonacci notions!!!

--------------

2ndclass

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2006,09:36   

Quote (N.Wells @ Aug. 22 2006,08:45)
Closed-mindedness, overly simplistic thinking, false dichotomies, classic projection, and massive denial.  None of that should be news to anyone, but it's certainly an impressively concise example of those failings.

Well said, N. Wells.  You're too nice to mention Dembski's sociopathy.  He's a schoolteacher who asks a question, gets a well-reasoned response from Sophophile, then duct tapes the Sophophile's mouth to keep him from defending himself while the other kids rip on him.  

It's no wonder that he makes enemies wherever he goes.  Cambridge Press red-flagged him after publishing his first book, Baylor exiled him and eventually showed him the door, and the Thomas More Law Center fired him and didn't pay for his useless work until he threatened to sue.  Those are groups that were supposedly on his side -- imagine how his opponents feel about him.

--------------
"I wasn't aware that classical physics had established a position on whether intelligent agents exercising free were constrained by 2LOT into increasing entropy." -DaveScot

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2006,09:40   

Quote (deadman_932 @ Aug. 22 2006,14:21)
Real programmers don’t give hoity-toity names like “Genetic Algorithm” to ways of finding answers that just about every child invents on his own recognizance without being taught. That’s just a really lame attempt by greenhorns to appear smart and innovative.

"real programmers" design cheesy kiddy games years and years and years ago that have long faded into oblivion and yet allow DaveScot to claim "expertise." Uh-huh. Oh, and they do patent searches and approvals.

Do real programmers grow mold in their basements?

--------------

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2006,09:50   

Slatavor Dorkova a nearly famous person,
once wrote on a blog that will be long forgotten in another few minutes, in  his inimitable style of bass ackwords projection. But then he does think the sun shines out of his creationist blind spot.

They deny the sky Evolution is even possible, let alone bluetrue. There’s no use trying to convince someone that the sky is blue Evolution is true if they don’t believe a sky Evolution is possible.

While Darwin will be remembered (famous) at least as long as Socrates.

--------------

Chris Hyland

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2006,09:57   

Here’s what recruiting the right people means to an ad campaign (which is what Darwinism has become)

Some might say ironic considering the Discovery Institue employs a PR firm.

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2006,10:06   

Ok, I've been quietly trying to figure out what happened to DaveTard for a couple of weeks. (I haven't done more than try to read back in this thread) but I can't find it. What happened?

Sorry. ???

--------------
Who said that ev'ry wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it
Look what it's done so far

The Daily Wingnut

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 22 2006,10:15   

Quote (BWE @ Aug. 22 2006,15:06)
Ok, I've been quietly trying to figure out what happened to DaveTard for a couple of weeks. (I haven't done more than try to read back in this thread) but I can't find it. What happened?

Sorry. ???

You mean the last couple weeks before now? Mostly just hanging out at UDOJ and getting into hilarious insult-fests with Davison. He seems to have been sort of at loose ends.

Thank Bog he's back at UD now and he can once again let his freak flag fly.

:p

--------------

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 189 190 191 192 193 [194] 195 196 197 198 199 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]