RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 831 832 833 834 835 [836] 837 838 839 840 841 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Hermagoras

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,10:49   

Quote (Occam's Toothbrush @ Feb. 06 2008,04:15)

larrynormanfan
Davison is no crank in his area of expertise. Not even close.

In defense of larrynormanfan, it was he who called Davison a crank.  The line defending him is DaveScot's response.

--------------
"I am not currently proving that objective morality is true. I did that a long time ago and you missed it." -- StephenB

http://paralepsis.blogspot.com/....pot.com

Occam's Toothbrush

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,11:06   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Feb. 06 2008,11:33)

larrynormanfan

No, not if you recognize that his "area of expertise" is creating blogs that consist of a single post by him, followed by 800 comments.  By him.  In that area, he's outstanding in the field.

NICE AVATAR!

Thank you for the compliment, but don't even think of putting it to your own use, as I will aggressively protect my copyright to it.

--------------
"Molecular stuff seems to me not to be biology as much as it is a more atomic element of life" --Creo nut Robert Byers
------
"You need your arrogant ass kicked, and I would LOVE to be the guy who does it. Where do you live?" --Anger Management Problem Concern Troll "Kris"

Occam's Toothbrush

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,11:14   

Quote (Occam's Toothbrush @ Feb. 06 2008,12:06)

Quote (Richardthughes @ Feb. 06 2008,11:33)

larrynormanfan

No, not if you recognize that his "area of expertise" is creating blogs that consist of a single post by him, followed by 800 comments.  By him.  In that area, he's outstanding in the field.

NICE AVATAR!

Thank you for the compliment, but don't even think of putting it to your own use, as I will aggressively protect my copyright to it.

I'm sorry, scratch my last threat.  I've just been informed by my lawyer, Casey Luskin, that there is an obscure provision in copyright law specifically exempting 117 x 87 pixel graphics from protection of any kind, so steal away.

--------------
"Molecular stuff seems to me not to be biology as much as it is a more atomic element of life" --Creo nut Robert Byers
------
"You need your arrogant ass kicked, and I would LOVE to be the guy who does it. Where do you live?" --Anger Management Problem Concern Troll "Kris"

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,11:26   

DaveScot

02/06/2008

9:05 am

Clarence

The Discovery Institute doesn’t have a biology lab. They don’t have enough funding to even begin assembling one.

From Wikipedia:  
The Biologic Institute is a tax-exempt organization with offices in Redmond, Washington and laboratories in the Fremont neighborhood of Seattle, Washington. It is funded by the Discovery Institute with the stated purpose of doing biological research.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,11:40   

And here is the official Biological Institute's website which has tons of information about all the research they've been doing at this lab.  I had no idea their IDC research program was so robust.  The list of IDC related scientific accomplishments is staggering.  

It's quite impressive.  Well worth taking the time to visit and read their entire web site.

All I ask is that you atheist darwinistas look at the Biological Institute's web site with an open mind.

Chris!

--------------
Uncommon Descent is a moral cesspool, a festering intellectual ghetto that intoxicates and degrades its inhabitants - Stephen Matheson

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,12:09   

Brilliant! Their "Wellcome" is coming soon!

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

slpage

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,12:23   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ Feb. 01 2008,16:00)
Somehow the Coulter ref put me in mind of this video.

How about this one...

Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,12:25   

There's more on this ground breaking IDC lab!

Biologic Institute
Mailing Address:
16310 NE 80th Street
REDMOND WA 98052 Street Address:
16310 Ne 80th Street
REDMOND WA 98052
Registration #24118  

Status Active
Also Known As Name(s) Biologic

Phone (425)296-4400
Fax (425)296-4401
Email info@biologiinstitute.org
Web Site www.biologicinstitute.org

Purpose Categories Educational Institutions & Related Activities
Science

Federal EIN 84-1670187
Federal Tax Status Exempt 501C3

The following financial information has been provided to the Office of the Secretary of State by the above-named organization. Figures are for the organization's fiscal year ending Sep 30, 2006.

Beginning Assets $ According to the financial information shown at left, this organization devoted 87% of its total expenses to program services during the year reported.

Revenue $261,698
Program Services $217,823
Total Expenses $250,464
Ending Assets $16,950
Some Charitable Organizations are not required to submit financial information. If the financial report displayed contains zeros or outdated information, it is possible that the organization is "exempt" from registration or is newly registered. Please contact the Charities Program for more specific information.

Commercial Fundraisers or Co-Venturers Utilized (past & present)
None reported.  

I dare you to call the number and ask to speak to Jeebus!

EDIT - I just called and got their voice mail.  I guess they're all way to busy performing experiments to answer the phone.

EDIT II - sorry I should have put this in the other thread...

--------------
Uncommon Descent is a moral cesspool, a festering intellectual ghetto that intoxicates and degrades its inhabitants - Stephen Matheson

REC

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,12:31   

I love the website....

As for the physical plant.....its in lovely Class B office space:
Biologic inst.

(Probably not exactly zoned for research labs)

Oh, and what nice neighbors:

Addiction Treatment Center

I'm sure they'll be rocking out top-tier publications in no time

slpage

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,12:40   

Quote (REC @ Feb. 06 2008,10:29)

DaveScot

02/06/2008

9:05 am

Clarence

The Discovery Institute doesn’t have a biology lab. They don’t have enough funding to even begin assembling one.

Link

Hmm....kinda answers all my questions on what the content of all the 'peer reviewed' literature DI is generating will be

<link fixed - Lou>

Really?

We just refurbished a storage room and turned it into a functional but small modern molecular biology research lab for just over $100,000.
Surely the DI can cut its PR budget enough to cough up that....

olegt

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,12:41   

jerry sez:
I have been posting for a couple years now and have yet to see anyone banned because they asked an “awkward question.” You can prove me wrong by listing some awkward questions that do not get answered. I am not aware of any.

The most common reasons one gets banned are ad hominem attacks and constant irrelevant criticisms or maybe just plain thickness in their arguments.

Why don’t you assemble some of the awkward questions and we can discuss whether they are valid or not.

Here is my bannination thread, in case anyone wishes to provide an example.

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,12:47   

Precious.
There are a number of ID critics here who pass two criteria - thoughtful, informed criticism and civility. It’s not my fault that the chance worshippers have so few among their number who can pass both tests.

;)
Preshuuuus!

I have been posting for a couple years now and have yet to see anyone banned because they asked an “awkward question.” You can prove me wrong by listing some awkward questions that do not get answered. I am not aware of any.

The most common reasons one gets banned are ad hominem attacks and constant irrelevant criticisms or maybe just plain thickness in their arguments.

Why don’t you assemble some of the awkward questions and we can discuss whether they are valid or not.

Gee, I can't seem to find any pencil marks that have been erased, either! Show me a pencil mark that's been erased, people! You can't do it, can ya? "Erased" pencil marks, what next...

"...already intact fish with fins and scales, birds with feathers, beaks, and wings, etc."

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

Annyday

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,12:55   

If I recall correctly, the DI pulls in over a million a year in donations. It's interesting to imagine that there's not enough money to finance experiments in there.

--------------
"ALL eight of the "nature" miracles of Jesus could have been accomplished via the electroweak quantum tunneling mechanism. For example, walking on water could be accomplished by directing a neutrino beam created just below Jesus' feet downward." - Frank Tipler, ISCID fellow

J. O'Donnell

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,13:05   

Quote (Annyday @ Feb. 06 2008,12:55)
If I recall correctly, the DI pulls in over a million a year in donations. It's interesting to imagine that there's not enough money to finance experiments in there.

Someone from the DI commented (a while back) during some debate or something that they had barely enough money to keep on the lights.

I still find it amazing that creationists can draw so much money yet do nothing with it. Imagine if we could bolster things like cancer research with a million extra dollars a year, or research into HIV, tuberculosis and such. Things that mattered...

--------------
My blog: Animacules

ReligionProf

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,13:36   

I just posted a response to the good ol' "argument from incredulity" about butterfly evolution that has appeared yet again at Uncommon Dishonesty. If anyone with greater expertise in the biological sciences has any suggestions for improvements or additional links, please do let me know.

http://exploringourmatrix.blogspot.com/2008....ty.html

--------------
http://www.patheos.com/communi....rmatrix

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,14:05   

*grin*

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-169913

Jack Krebs

02/06/2008

2:45 pm
In #48, Jerry writes,

The problem I see is that because so many comments are deleted there is no record of what awkward questions may have been asked, or what the actual consequences of asking them has been.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,14:11   

Wooo-weeeee!

THIS IS AWESUM. IT HAS EVERYTHING YOU WANT IN A SCIENCE TYPE DRAWING SKEMATIC.

IT HAS ACHRONIMS, MULYDIMENSIONALITIES AND ETCH-A-SKETCH, ALL HAPPENING AT ONCE. TAKE THAT, DARWIMPS!

from here:

http://icon-rids.blogspot.com/2007....am.html

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,14:19   

Tard is a double edged spork:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-169922

Robbie

02/06/2008

3:09 pm
Hey DaveScot,

FYI, thought I’d point out that Prof Davison is also calling you out re: Anthropogenic Global Warming over at his blog -

http://john.a.davison.free.fr/?p=11

Surely this will evoke a response from DaveScot/David Springer, the most vocal denier of anthropogenic global warming and the biggest bully in all of cyberdumb. Let us hear from Dave, the world’s expert on just about everything. Speak or hold your piece! To use your favorite expression -
“Got that? Write that down.”
Says JAD.

Looks like he’s a callin’ you yeller.

*poke*

--------------

J. O'Donnell

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,14:47   

Quote (ReligionProf @ Feb. 06 2008,13:36)
I just posted a response to the good ol' "argument from incredulity" about butterfly evolution that has appeared yet again at Uncommon Dishonesty. If anyone with greater expertise in the biological sciences has any suggestions for improvements or additional links, please do let me know.

http://exploringourmatrix.blogspot.com/2008....ty.html

As you guys love funny anecdotes, I'll point out that once a Christian group on my campus came up to me and asked if I wondered at the marvel of creation that was the caterpillar turning into a butterfly. He challenged me to name him how such a process could evolve and what intermediates were possible. I simply responded if he'd like to start the discussion with ametabolism, hemimetabolism or holometabolism first.

He just happened to be unlucky enough to encounter me after I had written an essay for zoology on the evolution of insects. He quickly took the first opportunity to flee.

--------------
My blog: Animacules

ReligionProf

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,14:50   

LOL.  Nothing like actual knowledge about a subject to bring the "objections" some people have learned by rote but don't actually know much about screeching to a halt!

--------------
http://www.patheos.com/communi....rmatrix

Tracy P. Hamilton

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,15:02   

Quote (REC @ Feb. 06 2008,12:31)
I love the website....

As for the physical plant.....its in lovely Class B office space:
Biologic inst.

(Probably not exactly zoned for research labs)

Oh, and what nice neighbors:

Addiction Treatment Center

I'm sure they'll be rocking out top-tier publications in no time

Does the Treatment Center treat Tard Addiction?  If so, it seems conveniently placed, should anybody decide to plan an intervention for Douglas Axe.

--------------
"Following what I just wrote about fitness, you’re taking refuge in what we see in the world."  PaV

"The simple equation F = MA leads to the concept of four-dimensional space." GilDodgen

"We have no brain, I don't, for thinking." Robert Byers

cogzoid

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,15:06   

Quote (J. O'Donnell @ Feb. 06 2008,14:47)
As you guys love funny anecdotes, I'll point out that once a Christian group on my campus came up to me and asked if I wondered at the marvel of creation that was the caterpillar turning into a butterfly. He challenged me to name him how such a process could evolve and what intermediates were possible. I simply responded if he'd like to start the discussion with ametabolism, hemimetabolism or holometabolism first.

He just happened to be unlucky enough to encounter me after I had written an essay for zoology on the evolution of insects. He quickly took the first opportunity to flee.

Not being a biologist, I wikipediaed ametabolism, hemimetabolism, and holometabolism to see what all the fuss was about.  In the process I found the name for the damn bugs that I perpetually find in my house (Shield Bugs).  That's why I love this forum.

REC

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,15:21   

Gerry Rzeppa
.....We can wrestle with pigs in the mud, but we’ll lose - and the pigs will like it.

Insert Bestiality Joke Here

Maybe the 'biologics' division is doing some research after all.  

Wikipedia Image: Copyright South Park

Annyday

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,15:34   

I don't care what you say, Berlinski is hilarious. For instance, criticizing Dennett, a philosopher, as a "regnant priest" of a science is hysterical. Asserting that biology hasn't done anything since the 1800s with regard to evolution? Also hysterical!

--------------
"ALL eight of the "nature" miracles of Jesus could have been accomplished via the electroweak quantum tunneling mechanism. For example, walking on water could be accomplished by directing a neutrino beam created just below Jesus' feet downward." - Frank Tipler, ISCID fellow

Venus Mousetrap

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,15:44   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Feb. 06 2008,14:11)
Wooo-weeeee!

IT HAS ACHRONIMS, MULYDIMENSIONALITIES AND ETCH-A-SKETCH, ALL HAPPENING AT ONCE. TAKE THAT, DARWIMPS!

from here:

You have to see the description next to that diagram to get the full tard. These guys have got to be cargo cultists.

In this schematic diagram "structure" and the "information" that codes for it, are represented as vertical (Z-axis) amplitude. Positive Z-axis motion (upward) requires intelligent design. Both "natural selection and "random mutation" being context insensitive are subsequently incapable of producing new structure/information.

This sounds like crap that I'd invent, except I actually attempt some logic at least. I mean, if you translate it to English it says:

'Only intelligent design can increase information, therefore natural selection and random mutation cannot increase information.'

Seriously, I want ID to spread this research as far and wide as possible. It has rather a spreadable texture.

Venus Mousetrap

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,15:47   

Quote (Venus Mousetrap @ Feb. 06 2008,15:44)

Occam's Toothbrush

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,15:51   

Quote (Venus Mousetrap @ Feb. 06 2008,16:44)

Quote (Richardthughes @ Feb. 06 2008,14:11)
Wooo-weeeee!

from here:

You have to see the description next to that diagram to get the full tard. These guys have got to be cargo cultists.

In this schematic diagram "structure" and the "information" that codes for it, are represented as vertical (Z-axis) amplitude. Positive Z-axis motion (upward) requires intelligent design. Both "natural selection and "random mutation" being context insensitive are subsequently incapable of producing new structure/information.

This sounds like crap that I'd invent, except I actually attempt some logic at least. I mean, if you translate it to English it says:

'Only intelligent design can increase information, therefore natural selection and random mutation cannot increase information.'

Seriously, I want ID to spread this research as far and wide as possible. It has rather a spreadable texture.

Kind of like the way a rich creamy dog turd tends to spread once you get it stuck to your shoe.

--------------
------

Hermagoras

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,18:46   

Anybody need a sig line?  Ask and bFast shall provide:
I would like to see a few knowledgable [sic] scientists allowed to post on this site.

Yup.

--------------
"I am not currently proving that objective morality is true. I did that a long time ago and you missed it." -- StephenB

http://paralepsis.blogspot.com/....pot.com

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,20:48   

Jack Krebs:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-170013

Jack, don't forget the many many points that never see the light of day because of 'moderation'. If you're new, you're screened.

--------------

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 06 2008,20:53   

Quote (Hermagoras @ Feb. 06 2008,18:46)
Anybody need a sig line?  Ask and bFast shall provide:    
I would like to see a few knowledgable [sic] scientists allowed to post on this site.

Yup.

They have, very briefly, per each.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 831 832 833 834 835 [836] 837 838 839 840 841 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]