RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 >   
  Topic: Heddle's Half-Dissent, with special guest Salvador Cordova< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 20 2006,16:31   

Quote (heddle @ Oct. 20 2006,21:05)
Well...

I am indebted to Lenny. I was starting to spend too much time here. The discussions started out fine, but he reminded me that, utimately, they are not elevated beyond the level of the PT comments. It took a while to break that addiction, but I've been "sober" for  couple months. No point trading one bad habit for another--especially one no different from the first. Have fun y'all.

Well, Heddle, since you are leaving, it seems everyone else is indebted to me now, too.

Bye.  (waving as you ride off on your white horse)

--------------
Editor, Red and Black Publishers
www.RedandBlackPublishers.com

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 20 2006,16:43   

Quote (stevestory @ Oct. 20 2006,20:11)
Lenny, I usually find your anger annoying

Come onnnnnnnnnnnnn --- you like the entertainment value.  You *know* you do.

:)

Anyway, I'm no longer angry at creationist/IDers.  Back when they were a serious political threat, I was.  But now that they're all but a corpse, I just laugh at their pain and piss in their wounds.  

No one deserves it more than they.

--------------

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 20 2006,16:59   

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 29 2006,11:06   

Hey Heddle, given your assertion that if cosmological constants were different, we wouldn't be here, and given the fact that we, um, are here, what's so surprising about the fact that circumstances allowed us to be here?  If green jelly beans exist, would it surprise you to learn that conditions are such as would allow green jelly beans to exist?  

I think the problem is that Heddle is arguing the jelly bean equivalent; that is, jelly beans having been designed, we were, too; which makes us spiritual treats for God, I guess...

Not a very appetizing thought right before Halloween.

The problem with Heddle is, metaphorically speaking, he has obviously never crashed a party without it turning out that those hosting the party wanted him to stay. Therefore, Heddle cannot conceive of finding himself at the party called Life without an express invitation, as it were.

Where'd he run off to? Probably sitting by the phone, waiting for someone-anyone to call. There was a Halloween party last night Heddle, and you missed it. If you continue this way, Heddle, there are going to be fewer and fewer parties to which you are "privileged" to go...

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 29 2006,12:35   

Quote (Kristine @ Oct. 29 2006,18:06)
Hey Heddle, given your assertion that if cosmological constants were different, we wouldn't be here, and given the fact that we, um, are here, what's so surprising about the fact that circumstances allowed us to be here?  If green jelly beans exist, would it surprise you to learn that conditions are such as would allow green jelly beans to exist?  

I think the problem is that Heddle is arguing the jelly bean equivalent; that is, jelly beans having been designed, we were, too; which makes us spiritual treats for God, I guess...

Not a very appetizing thought right before Halloween.

The problem with Heddle is, metaphorically speaking, he has obviously never crashed a party without it turning out that those hosting the party wanted him to stay. Therefore, Heddle cannot conceive of finding himself at the party called Life without an express invitation, as it were.

Where'd he run off to? Probably sitting by the phone, waiting for someone-anyone to call. There was a Halloween party last night Heddle, and you missed it. If you continue this way, Heddle, there are going to be fewer and fewer parties to which you are "privileged" to go...

He went back to his own blog, which you might like, if you enjoy terribly boring discussions of the details of christianity.

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 29 2006,17:34   

He went back to his own blog, which you might like, if you enjoy terribly boring discussions of the details of christianity.

Meh, nothing like Christian "tut-tut"-erware parties--a whole post devoted to refuting "pointlessness." I'm hip. :D

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 30 2006,04:54   

UD on Harvard's "Origin of Life" Iniatiative

Longtime readers might recall that I have, on several occasions, written favorably about abiogensis research. As it turns out, this means that, once again, I don't see eye-to-eye with Mr. Dembski.

I noticed on Uncommon Descent that Dembski posted on Harvard's "Origin of Life" initiative. As is his style, he simply makes a wry comment and then pastes an excerpt from some an article.

Dembski's comment:
How much play do you think ID is going to get in Harvard's new origin of life initiative[?]
Of course, the question is rhetorical: Dembski knows the answer: the answer is none.

His manner of asking it, however, is meant to imply that the answer is "none" because of some vast scientific conspiracy.

In fact, Dembski is correct: the answer is none, because nothing is owed a "play" in scientific research, which self-organizes along a pecking order based on "put up or shut up." Dembski is preaching to his choir, one that tends to believe that research scientists view theists and theism as the enemy. This is false, as Dembski would know if he spent any length of time in an actual research environment. At least I hope that's his excuse--I hope he doesn't sing that "they hate us, the really hate us" tune knowing that it's a lie. At any rate, one of his great disservices to Christianity is that he is helping to make Science vs. Christianity a self fulfilling prophecy. He is doing his darndest to drive a wedge between the two--and many Christians, I fear, are taking the bait. Demonizing scientists is just another way that Dembski is very much like Ken Ham of AiG.

Perhaps, Mr. Dembski, if you care to make a testable prediction regarding Harvard's initiative they will give you some "play." In fact, I am willing to bet that if you can make a testable prediction from your theories and apply for research funding under this initiative that your proposal would be reviewed favorably. By all means, submit a proposal that states: My ID theory states that if you do this experiment: [fill in the blank] the result will be this: [fill in this blank too].

As it is, or at least as far as I know, ID makes no prediction beyond that of the theologian: Harvard's effort will fail to explain the origin of life. Though of interest, that's not a scientific prediction. Neither is its corollary: research into the origins question will only further demonstrate the implausibility of life starting by itself.

Though such predictions don't constitute scientific research, they are precisely why Christians (and IDers) should embrace and participate in the origins initiative. It's the same reason we should encourage cosmology studies or archeological research in Palestine. If you are worried that scientific research can undermine your faith, then I suggest you work on strengthening your faith instead of attacking the researchers. Attacking the researchers is Dembski's and Ham's approach, and it is bad scientifically and, more troubling, it is bad theologically.

Christians should be saying, in effect, "bring it on!" Dembski, for reasons that I cannot fathom, does not go beyond predicting that he won't be invited to Harvard's potluck, while conveniently ignoring the fact that, scientifically, he has nothing to contribute.

Comment (1) | Trackback (0)
posted by David     Permalink

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 30 2006,05:34   

A shame. Intelligent fundies like Heddle refuse to stay, while brainless ones like Dave Hawkins cling like barnacles.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 30 2006,06:48   

Crikey Demski's really ticked David "the answer is 42" Heddle off.

So that ratbag Demski gets the credit after all our hard word.

Dang.

In further hot news I've had the transcript of Demski's phone call to Harvard for a place on the team secretly sent to me.

It seems he was put on speaker phone when Summers took the call.
Summers: ....Ah Bill.... I'll get each team member to introduce themselves they already know it is you calling.

Op 1: Hi Bill it's Ivana Bukdeal here, Post Doc Toroidal Nano Biology we study the logical tautness of biological machines, we call it nano tautology ....we're REALLY interested in CSI.
snicker.....sh sh  sh

Bill: Fantastic.. Complex Specified (whatever)

Ivana: No ...Crime Scene Investigation

Bill: oh

Op2: Hi Bill it's Valter Mitzzy 'ere, 'ow do you do.

Bill: Valter?

Valter: yez Valter. I am ze head of fitting zee fruit fly heads on ze ants. Ve 'ave a saying here Time flys like an arrow, friut flys like a banana, I like bananas.

Summers: ..ah Bill ..sorry about that, that's Walter he cleans the test tubes, I'll pass you over to Steve Fuller

Bill:...THE Steve Fuller?

Steve: Yup.
Bill: I thought you were in England.
Steve: Was
Bill: ...Are you on the team?
Steve: No ...I'm writing a new book..A New Paradigm for Creation. Recontextualizing the epistemology for abiogenesis.
Bill: Hey I thought you were on our side.
Steve: All's fair in love and war Bill, that how postmodernism got started you know.... Hows your new book going?
Bill: You can buy it when it comes out.
Steve: What.... no invitation for a promo, no back cover blurb?
Bill: From you...no way...you traitor.
click

--------------
The conservative has but little to fear from the man whose reason is the servant of his passions, but let him beware of him in whom reason has become the greatest and most terrible of the passions.These are the wreckers of outworn empires and civilisations, doubters, disintegrators, deicides.Haldane

Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2006,04:48   

The latest Heddle money shot:

Perhaps, Mr. Dembski, if you care to make a testable prediction regarding Harvard's initiative they will give you some "play." In fact, I am willing to bet that if you can make a testable prediction from your theories and apply for research funding under this initiative that your proposal would be reviewed favorably. By all means, submit a proposal that states: My ID theory states that if you do this experiment: [fill in the blank] the result will be this: [fill in this blank too].

As it is, or at least as far as I know, ID makes no prediction beyond that of the theologian...

Say what you will about Heddle's personal beliefs, but he's on the money when it comes to the Dembski cult.

--------------
Uncommon Descent is a moral cesspool, a festering intellectual ghetto that intoxicates and degrades its inhabitants - Stephen Matheson

Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 04 2006,09:45   

Quote (Mr_Christopher @ Oct. 31 2006,10:48)
Say what you will about Heddle's personal beliefs, but he's on the money when it comes to the Dembski cult.

I completely agree. In a way, by being an ID suporter, Hedle's arguments will probably have more effect.

I am glad that he has realised what a charlatan bunch UD has.

Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2006,09:20   

Looks like Heddle has been booted from yet another ID forum.  This time for criticizing Moonie cultist J. Wells.  Well he criticized Wells and also pointed out ID is not science and got the boot.  

http://helives.blogspot.com/

--------------
Uncommon Descent is a moral cesspool, a festering intellectual ghetto that intoxicates and degrades its inhabitants - Stephen Matheson

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2006,09:39   

But note that he's diplomatic and doesn't actually say what group he got booted from.

Anyway, the essay is in fact quite interesting:

I am down to one (or maybe zero, I'm not sure) ID friendly lists. This time I was unceremoniously booted after I criticized a Jonathan Wells post. The thread was related to the recent brouhaha over peer review. Wells expressed boilerplate ID-leadership whining, and then bizarrely claimed that ID is relying on peer review, by which he meant the proofreading of one's writings by other competent IDers. That's actually called rubber-stamping.

I responded with my own boilerplate, that if ID is science then it's high-time time that IDers you-know-what or get off the pot.

Jonathan Wells is an enigma. To be blunt, I see no redeeming quality in Jonathan Wells. Everything he has touched has backfired. He does no science. And of course I don't even see him as a Christian brother, since the Unification Church to which he belongs is an apostate cult. (Contrary to popular misconception, the bible teaches that Christians are most definitely supposed to judge.)

If ID were science, then I could work side-by-side with Jonathan Wells on ID in spite of his false religion. And if ID were science, Jonathan Wells and his colleagues would not consider scientific questions regarding the age of the earth to be off the table.

Based on some discussions I had over the weekend, I have come to realize something that I have missed, something rather obvious. That is, I never really appreciated the importance of the culture-war aspect of the ID-movement. I viewed ID-proper in simplistic terms: it is creationism that is being disguised as science and through deception and political maneuvering the attempt is being made (while simultaneously being denied) to get it into the classroom. (Where, ironically, it could once be found before pressure arose to make it an official part of the curriculum.) However, I didn't realize the extent to which this is viewed internally as a culture war.

That makes me even less of an orthodox IDer, because I don't support the culture wars. That's a broad statement that I'll have to blog about later, but for the most part I disavow Christian political activity. Oh, I'll vote along the usual Christian lines, but I simply don't see how (a) a Christian can avoid compromise and still hope to be [re]elected and, more importantly (b) I see no biblical mandate.

John F. Kennedy is a perfect example. Assuming he was a truly a devout Roman Catholic, he professed the ultimate compromise: when asked whether he would choose between the good of the country and the authority of Rome, he chose the former. Utter and total capitulation. A solid Catholic should have said—sorry, if it comes down to that choice, and I hope it doesn't, I’d have to side with the Church. Of course he wouldn't have gotten elected, which is precisely my point.

Christian (and ID) culture wars (and those pesky theonomists) get the biblical message bass-ackwards. The bible teaches that we should preach the gospel (in words and deeds) and, as the church gains purchase, the culture will follow along. The culture war proponents argue, in effect, that if we force the culture (through legislation) to reflect our world view then, then—I don't know what—then converts will follow? The Second Coming? In any case the strategy is found nowhere in the teachings of Christ or the apostles.

But whether ID is a culture war (I don't see it that way) or about theism (I do see it that way) I have no more interest in standing side by side with Jonathan Wells than I would, for example, seek to align forces with Bishop Spong or Ralph Reed.

Put differently, if ID were science, then my criticism of Well's faith would be an unforgivable ad hominem. Since ID is actually apologetic in nature, it is not. His religion is relevant. For me, ID is powerful because it shows how creation speaks of God's glory. The Unification Church teaches of Sun Myung Moon’s glory. There can be no compromise.

I should clarify my position on peer review. I have no doubt that the playing field is not level—as I have written about many times. In cosmology, one is free to speculate about any manner of untestable theory, but one is not (generally) free to speculate about a divine explanation for fine-tuning. However, that is not the central issue here. And personally I would rather avoid an argument based on pointing out an equally bad counter example. The real point, as I have belabored to establish, is that an actual proposal to perform an experiment that would test an ID theory would, in my opinion, be reviewed favorably even while the reviewers fully expected it to fail. Reviewers would be delighted to set ID up for an anticpated spectacular fall.

I asked my ID colleagues for an example of a proposal that was submitted to a funding agency, one that asked for money and equipment to do an ID-testing experiment. In spite of the claim of vast forces arrayed against them that have systematically derailed such proposals, no examples were provided. (Some argued that there is no point in submitting research proposals because they would surely be rejected.)

Note that I am talking about science and scientific research, not science education. In science education, I think there is a strong claim to be made that IDers are treated unfairly, and I'm thinking specifically of the Ohio State case. But we should not conflate the separate questions of fairness in science and science education.

As far as I can tell, the real complaint, boiled down to its essence, is that ID speculation and ruminations of ID motivations should be permitted in journal articles. Nonsense. If you can test ID, then by all means you would have to spell out the ID theory in question. You could belabor the details to your heart's desire. If you just want to elaborate (in a peer reviewed science journal) on how ID motivated your experiment, even though it doesn't test ID, then you have no basis for a complaint—even though some other speculation (multiple universes) is permitted when it shouldn't be. It's the old two-wrongs thing.

I can truthfully say that, at some level, ID motivated everything I ever did in science after becoming a believer. I never felt, however, that I should be entitled to a paragraph in Physical Review C explaining how this result affirms my belief in God. There are other places for such discussions including, until the ID movement did its little Keystone Kops number, the occasional rabbit-trail classroom discussion.

(I've boldfaced some interesting bits.)

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2006,11:18   

Wow! Good for Heddle! While his religious weirdness will never make sense to me, I have to conclude that he actually has learned something in his months and years in this discussion.

--------------
Must... not... scratch... mosquito bite.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2006,15:20   

Quote (Russell @ Nov. 21 2006,11:18)
Wow! Good for Heddle! While his religious weirdness will never make sense to me, I have to conclude that he actually has learned something in his months and years in this discussion.

I couldn't have put it better myself. While I personally have no use at all for the kind of religion that is obviously so important to Heddle, his analyses of the dishonesty of the ID crowd and why they aren't doing science are deadly accurate. No wonder they all ban him.

And it is interesting how this seems to be an ongoing process:

I have come to realize something that I have missed, something rather obvious. That is, I never really appreciated the importance of the culture-war aspect of the ID-movement.

I would politely point out that many of us 'secularists' have been saying ID was all about the 'Culture Wars' for years (that's why DaveTard's doing it), but hey, better late than never.

--------------

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 21 2006,19:36   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Nov. 21 2006,10:39)
Note that I am talking about science and scientific research, not science education. In science education, I think there is a strong claim to be made that IDers are treated unfairly, and I'm thinking specifically of the Ohio State case. But we should not conflate the separate questions of fairness in science and science education.

Heddle has an unfortunate tendency to look the other way to give certain side branches of ID a free pass. Like "Oh, Dembski is a fraud and a cheat and a liar, but Sternberg was unfairly treated." ""Oh, Cordova is a fraud and a cheat and a liar, but there may be something to Behe." "Oh, Wells is a fraud and a cheat and a liar, but Brian Leonard might have been discriminated against." Before he read Dembski, he even did this about Dembski. "Oh, Dembski himself may be a fraud and a cheat and a liar, but I can't say, I haven't read his stuff specifically."

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 22 2006,11:06   

DaveScot's latest clowning is being discussed far and wide today:

As for bizarre posts, if you haven't already, checkout DaveScot's (for those who don’t know, DaveScot is one word, like Fabian) UD post on the scientific possibility of a virgin birth. Now whether or not a virgin birth is a scientific possibility is an interesting question. However, it is irrelevant in terms of Mary’s virgin birth, in which she was conceived by the Holy Spirit. A virgin (or any woman) conceiving by the Holy Spirit is a miracle and hence inexplicable via science. It can be denied, but its lack of a scientific explanation is a feature, not a bug.

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 22 2006,11:18   

From the middle paragraph:

Ed's writing will often remind you that there was a time when atheists did science, and believers did science, and atheistic scientists and believing scientists had pleasurable philosophical discussions in the cafeteria without demanding that their view be given a free-pass. After lunch they did experiments and wrote papers together. And then someone came up with the idea of stickers in textbooks and lawsuits and wedge strategies and “Vice” strategies and guidebooks for getting nonscience into the science curriculum and that religion was child abuse and now Moran's contrubution that students should pass an evolution litmus test or be expelled.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 22 2006,11:22   

A virgin (or any woman) conceiving by the Holy Spirit is a miracle and hence inexplicable via science. It can be denied, but its lack of a scientific explanation is a feature, not a bug.

That boy did not grow up on a farm.

If Heddle ever sees this ......read my lips.

A virgin (or any woman) conceiving by the Holy Spirit is a NOT a miracle IT'S AN URBAN LEGEND aka Myth.

Feature or bug? Yes of course it could be considered to be either if it wasn't just vapourware and only ran on Powerpulpit with a man in a dress moving the mouse....virtual reality aka magical thinking.

Now that the IDist's have shown that each time they boot their stupid OS the blue screen of death comes up quicker and quicker, soon the whole mess will end up in a dumpster.

Maybe that's where Heddle got his OS from.

--------------
The conservative has but little to fear from the man whose reason is the servant of his passions, but let him beware of him in whom reason has become the greatest and most terrible of the passions.These are the wreckers of outworn empires and civilisations, doubters, disintegrators, deicides.Haldane

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 29 2006,21:15   

I'm afraid Heddle is back to saying really stoopid things:

Au contraire -- it is precisely information that atheists demand before they switch sides. Information, in the form of empirical evidence, is the basis for belief for an atheist. The very fact that the available information has not convinced us atheists of the existence of Thomas' god should tell him something about the quality of the information.

Or, it should tell you something about the nature/process of regeneration which is not
1) I hear the gospel or read the bible
2) I accept it as reasonable
3) I eventually believe
4) I am regenerated (born again) as a reward for my belief
If that's the case, then you are correct in your assessment of Cal Thomas on this point. However, if the actual process of conversion (then one I believe is supported by the bible) is:
1) I, like everyone else in their natural state, find the gospel and the bible to be utter foolishness
2) Nevertheless at some point I am regenerated (not because of anything I've done)
3) I now respond to the bible and the gospel, and no longer find them foolish
then he is right (on this point.) In other words, like all atheists, especially the smarter ones, you assume that you are an atheist because you weigh and easily reject the evidence. The reverse is actually true. You have the process bass-ackwards. You are stuck, from all indications and hopefully just for the moment, on step 1 of the second flow chart.
Posted by: David Heddle | December 29, 2006 05:11 PM

--------------

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 30 2006,05:10   

"John is molested to be decent" - VMartin

(chuckles)

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 30 2006,07:51   

LMFAO!

I've heard this schtick from people before in a variety of guises. Different "levels", access to different "revelations", different "information" etc. It's  the ultimate get out clause.

Heddle is claiming that he has been regenerated (hurriedly followed by no claim of deeds of virtue on his part, ain't he yummy? Sparing our lil' atheist feelin's 'n' all that) and thus can understand the bible in a way we heathens cannot. He has been raised to a different "level", has access to different "information". Excellent.

So this process of levelling, this different information, where do we get it?  By suspending our rational minds and just accepting it whole cloth?  By shifting the goalposts of evidence so that they are meaningless? By {gasp} pretending our desperate bias and wish for these things to be true somehow constitutes evidence? Nope? Yup? Neither? This is the appeal to mystery yet a-fucking-gain. Colour me rigidly unimpressed. Again.Will these god botherers never come up wiith anything new?

Add to this the strawman of the "foolishness of the gospel" etc. I'm perfectly  happy for the gospel to contain things that aren't foolish, in fact I'm pretty certain bits of it aren't foolish at all. How do I know that some of it isn't foolish? Guess how! And it isn't by revelation, access to priviledged information, spooky language, appeals to mystery, being really really sure it is, or any form of faith. Oh ok I'll give you a clue. Anyone can do it, it doesn't require my a priori agreement with any faith based position, it's accessible and checkable by anyone of any faith or none and it relies on observation. Yes, you guessed it, reason, rational thought and observation of the real world outside my head as it is an not how I wish it to be. Woohoo!

Louis

--------------
Bye.

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 30 2006,18:17   

Quote (Louis @ Dec. 30 2006,07:51)
Heddle is claiming that he has been regenerated (hurriedly followed by no claim of deeds of virtue on his part, ain't he yummy? Sparing our lil' atheist feelin's 'n' all that) and thus can understand the bible in a way we heathens cannot. He has been raised to a different "level", has access to different "information". Excellent.

I.e., he's holier than  the rest of us and his opinions are correct because he understands God better than we mere mortals do.

Alas, despite Heddle's delusions of sainthood, he is no holier than anyone else alive, he doesn't know any more about God than anyone else alive does, and his religious opinions aren't any more authoritative than mine, yours, or the kid who delivers my pizzas. (shrug)

No WONDER everyone thinks fundies like Heddle are self-righteous pride-filled arrogant holier-than-thou (literally) pricks.

--------------

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 30 2006,18:50   

Lenny,

Alas, despite Heddle's delusions of sainthood, he is no holier than anyone else alive, he doesn't know any more about God than anyone else alive does, and his religious opinions aren't any more authoritative than mine, yours, or the kid who delivers my pizzas. (shrug)

Well actually I've changed my mind about this.

I was sat at home after a fairly hefty session on the loopy juice this evening and lo unto me came a host of angels. As fortune would have it they were female angels and, having been disturbed performing acts of an extremely lewd nature upon my person by my beloved and irate wife armed with a broom, they vouched safe unto me the secret and the mystery.

As it happens my religious opinions are more authoritative than, well, anyone's really. Came as a bit of a shock to me I might add. Especially as I have met my hot cheesy comestible delivery person, and her religious opinions were fucking astounding.

Now I don't want anyone to get all sloppy and sentimental about this, but allegedly I am sort of, well, god. It's all a bit embarrassing really. After all I am British and we don't hold much truck with this sort of stuff doncherknow. Religion's ok for you yanks and some foreigners, but it simply isn't cricket. Frankly it gets in the way of a good drink if I am forced to be honest. Apparently, I erm, sort of created the universe too. Terrible bugger, can't remember a bloody thing about it. I guess I shouldn't have invented marijuana shortly afterwards.

There are a few things I'd like to clear up. This "intercessory prayer" lark and "revelation of god speaking to you", both total bollocks. I only found out this evening and I was really drunk. I'm pretty me-darned certain I've never answered a prayer or done any offical speaking duties in all my puff. You're talking to yourselves you silly sods. Behave!

Allegedly I have to knock out a few commandments. Frankly, the booze is wearing off, my bottle of calvados is nearly at an end, and I can't be bothered with anything too profound. So here goes for my first go at divine commandments, it may change later on so pay attention:

1) Be excellent to each other.

2) Party on dudes!

{buuurp}

{fart}*

{snore}

Louis

* conclusively proves I am the intelligent designer.

P.S. Platypus. BWWWWWWWWWWWAHAHAHAHAHA figure that one out.

--------------
Bye.

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 30 2006,21:58   

Quote (Louis @ Dec. 30 2006,18:50)
Now I don't want anyone to get all sloppy and sentimental about this, but allegedly I am sort of, well, god.

Cool.  Could I get an internal anatomy that was actually designed for a biped instead of a quadruped, please?    I'm not getting any younger, ya know . . . .       ;)

--------------

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 30 2006,23:02   

Sleaze-ador Cordova on Dawkins' repudiation of the petition he signed:
So, my speculation is that Dawkins is making this withdrawal under duress. I accept his sincere "regret" (cough).

Being accused of insincerity by Salvador Cordova is like being accused of anti-Semitism by Mel Gibson.

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 30 2006,23:20   

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ Dec. 30 2006,18:17)

No WONDER everyone thinks fundies like Heddle are self-righteous pride-filled arrogant holier-than-thou (literally) pricks.

Lenny,

In fairness to Heddle, he is a Calvinist, which means he doesn't take credit for his own "regeneration".  He just happened to be one of the lucky ones that God picked to regenerate.  As a result of this undeserved regeneration, he now understands the Bible in a way that is inaccessible to us, the unchosen.

On the other hand, it remains a mystery why Heddle thinks a God who arbitrarily saves some and damns others is worthy of worship.

Also, it raises the question of why the same logic and reason that we unbelievers use successfully in all aspects of our lives suddenly fail (according to Heddle) when applied to the Bible, but the same thing does not happen to him and the other chosen ones.  Presumably God sits there and short-circuits our unchosen brains every time we ponder the Bible or any other religious topic.

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 31 2006,01:50   

Quote (keiths @ Dec. 30 2006,23:20)
He just happened to be one of the lucky ones that God picked to regenerate.

Then, uh, what's the point to his preaching . . .?  If it's all already decided, then, um, what difference does his preaching make . . .?

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 31 2006,01:56   

Quote (keiths @ Dec. 30 2006,23:20)
As a result of this undeserved regeneration, he now understands the Bible in a way that is inaccessible to us, the unchosen.

How the #### does Heddle know that he's one of the Chosen Ones, anyway?  Did God mail him an advance prepaid ticket to Heaven, or something?

Or is Heddle just arrogant, self-righteous, pride-filled and holier-than-thou (literally) enough to simply assume that he MUST be one of the Chosen Ones, since he is so, ya know, holy and all . . . .?

--------------

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 31 2006,03:41   

Lenny,

Internal organs of a biped eh? No worries.

{waves hands, does a little dance, mutters some spooky words}

There ya go. Um sorry about that vagina, THAT shouldn't be THERE!

{waves hands, does a little more dance, mutters some different spooky words}

Ok you're good to go.

On the Heddle topic, I can confirm that despite his protestations he is not one of the chosen. I can assure you the criterion for being chosen are very simple. They all seem to fall into a narrow category of female and naked. Blonde is apparently optional. Who knew? I was just scratching my head thinking about it and these stone tablets appeared. Some lad called Hefner ran off with them and has started some sort of selection process. I can't pretend I understand it all to be honest. Anyway, at least this way more people get into heaven. I'm also working on heaven mark 2 for the guys. Don't worry there'll be beer.

So as you can see I am a venal and shallow deity. My choice of who to have in heaven beside me is not based on some footling Bronze Age witterings or adherence to worldy virtues, it's all about breast size. Hurrah!

Louis

P.S. Cordova thinks there are people/things that can compel Richard Dawkins to retract potentially unpopular views? (as opposed to changing his mind on the basis of evidence, which we know Sal thinks is a bad thing anyway) Wow, Sal sure has his head buried in his unfortunately quadrupedal digestive tract. Did we know that already?

--------------
Bye.

209 replies since Sep. 19 2006,13:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]