RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (666) < ... 568 569 570 571 572 [573] 574 575 576 577 578 ... >   
  Topic: The Bathroom Wall, A PT tradition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
noncarborundum

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 08 2012,16:53   

Quote (OgreMkV @ Feb. 08 2012,10:38)
GAAAHHH!!!  I hate performance appraisals.  The only bit that's really important is the bit that has nothing to do with the actual performance.

Sample comments from my boss:

{Ogre} is so knowledgeable about science that he can construct fusion powerplants and convert raw carbon into diamonds.

{Ogre's} collaboration and communication skills are such that the Israel/Palestine conflict might never had happened if he had been involved.

{Ogre's} technical skills and knowledge are so great that he successfully created an alternative world-wide internet using only paper cups and string.

{Ogre's} industry and organizational knowledge is so important that our company would be little more than a lemonade stand on a street corner without him.

Performance Ratings:
Outstanding
Satisfactory
Needs Improvement

[Ogre's] rating: Satisfactory

sigh...

and I didn't even blow anything up... this year.

Around here the ratings are "unsatisfactory", "needs improvement", "meets expectations", "exceeds expectations", and "far exceeds expectations".  Which means that if they expect you to walk on water, you can do no better than "meets expectations".

--------------
"The . . . um . . . okay, I was genetically selected for blue eyes.  I know there are brown eyes, because I've observed them, but I can't do it.  Okay?  So . . . um . . . coz that's real genetic selection, not the nonsense Giberson and the others are talking about." - DO'L

Tom A

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 08 2012,17:03   

Quote (noncarborundum @ Feb. 08 2012,16:53)
[quote=OgreMkV,Feb. 08 2012,10:38]Around here the ratings are "unsatisfactory", "needs improvement", "meets expectations", "exceeds expectations", and "far exceeds expectations".  Which means that if they expect you to walk on water, you can do no better than "meets expectations".

That's why it's important to have a major fuck up every three of four years--not enough to get fired, but enough to lower expectations for a while.

noncarborundum

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 08 2012,17:19   

Quote (Tom A @ Feb. 08 2012,17:03)

Quote (noncarborundum @ Feb. 08 2012,16:53)
Around here the ratings are "unsatisfactory", "needs improvement", "meets expectations", "exceeds expectations", and "far exceeds expectations".  Which means that if they expect you to walk on water, you can do no better than "meets expectations".

That's why it's important to have a major fuck up every three of four years--not enough to get fired, but enough to lower expectations for a while.

I'll keep that in mind.

--------------
"The . . . um . . . okay, I was genetically selected for blue eyes.  I know there are brown eyes, because I've observed them, but I can't do it.  Okay?  So . . . um . . . coz that's real genetic selection, not the nonsense Giberson and the others are talking about." - DO'L

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 08 2012,22:19   

Quote (Tom A @ Feb. 08 2012,16:03)

Would that be an application of the Peter Principle?

Henry

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 09 2012,02:17   

Quote (Henry J @ Feb. 08 2012,20:19)
Quote (Tom A @ Feb. 08 2012,16:03)

Would that be an application of the Peter Principle?

Henry

Yeah. That's why the Brits call it a "Cock-up".

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

Soapy Sam

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 09 2012,06:22   

GAAAHHH!!!  I hate performance appraisals.  The only bit that's really important is the bit that has nothing to do with the actual performance.

{Ogre} is so knowledgeable about science that he can construct fusion powerplants and convert raw carbon into diamonds.

{Ogre's} collaboration and communication skills are such that the Israel/Palestine conflict might never had happened if he had been involved.

{Ogre's} technical skills and knowledge are so great that he successfully created an alternative world-wide internet using only paper cups and string.

{Ogre's} industry and organizational knowledge is so important that our company would be little more than a lemonade stand on a street corner without him.

Performance Ratings:
Outstanding
Satisfactory
Needs Improvement

sigh...

I feel your pain. I used to be freelance. I got a tidy sum and never-ending contract extensions. They kept offering me a permanent position, and I resisted. Then ... the UK government, tax legislation, family to feed blahdeblah.. I took it.

Next up I am invited to participate in the performance system. "We know we have been paying you twice as much as a freelancer and been pleased enough with your work to offer you a job, but I'm afraid ... this year you are 'partially successful'". No pay rise, no bonus, thanks for being brilliant at your job but you're shit at gathering evidence of it.

We're supposed to take an active role in 'evidencing' our performance and (puke) our "behaviours". I can't be bothered, having spent 10 years with them not doing so, so every year it's the same. "Partially successful". "I'll fuck off then, shall I? "No, no, no .... ". Every year I win. I've handed my notice in twice, they ask me to reconsider, I suggest they reconsider the grade.

We have now been told that Performance meetings will go from 6 a year (5 too many) to ... 12! I presently work 2 days a week, so that's one every 8 working days ...

:angry:

--------------
SoapySam is a pathetic asswiper. Joe G

BTW, when you make little jabs like “I thought basic logic was one thing UDers could handle,” you come off looking especially silly when you turn out to be wrong. - Barry Arrington

OgreMkV

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 09 2012,07:37   

Quote (Soapy Sam @ Feb. 09 2012,06:22)

Performance Ratings:
Outstanding
Satisfactory
Needs Improvement

sigh...

I feel your pain. I used to be freelance. I got a tidy sum and never-ending contract extensions. They kept offering me a permanent position, and I resisted. Then ... the UK government, tax legislation, family to feed blahdeblah.. I took it.

Next up I am invited to participate in the performance system. "We know we have been paying you twice as much as a freelancer and been pleased enough with your work to offer you a job, but I'm afraid ... this year you are 'partially successful'". No pay rise, no bonus, thanks for being brilliant at your job but you're shit at gathering evidence of it.

We're supposed to take an active role in 'evidencing' our performance and (puke) our "behaviours". I can't be bothered, having spent 10 years with them not doing so, so every year it's the same. "Partially successful". "I'll fuck off then, shall I? "No, no, no .... ". Every year I win. I've handed my notice in twice, they ask me to reconsider, I suggest they reconsider the grade.

We have now been told that Performance meetings will go from 6 a year (5 too many) to ... 12! I presently work 2 days a week, so that's one every 8 working days ...

:angry:

Ouch, yeah that sucks.  Fortunately, my customers and bosses are pretty good about sending 'well done' e-mails and the like.  So, I just save all those.  Of course, it helps to actually measurable goals... x items produced, on time, under budget, with at least a 95% acceptance rate.

I've been told that I'm on the short list for promotion next year, of course, I've been told that for two years now.  Apparently, my present manager was too lazy to fill out promotion forms and now there's a backlog of people to promote... sigh.

--------------
Ignored by those who can't provide evidence for their claims.

http://skepticink.com/smilodo....retreat

Soapy Sam

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 09 2012,08:50   

Quote (OgreMkV @ Feb. 09 2012,07:37)
Fortunately, my customers and bosses are pretty good about sending 'well done' e-mails and the like.

Yep, I get plenty positive feedback - one of the reasons I can afford to be a member of the awkward squad. Unfortunately there is a MOUNTAIN of stuff you are supposed to fill in as evidence, and I ain't got the time or energy, not for 1-2%. Too busy workin'! The evidence is about as reliable as Biblical evidence - just make stuff up. But I won't take a poor grade from anyone, even if it's only a word on a piece of paper. They don't think I'm good, I'll find somewhere that does. 'Cos I am!  ;)

--------------

BTW, when you make little jabs like “I thought basic logic was one thing UDers could handle,” you come off looking especially silly when you turn out to be wrong. - Barry Arrington

OgreMkV

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 11 2012,11:21   

I have further realized the similarity between arguing with creationists and my father.

It's wasted effort.  There is no point in continuing the dialogue when one side steadfastly refuses to even acknowledge reality.  If one side cannot think critically or be bother to even take a moment to self-reflect, then the other side is wasted effort.

Actually arguing with creationists is slightly more useful, because there may be someone else involved that learns something.

I have written a lengthy response to a recent note by my wicked step-mother and I will probably refrain from sending it.  The letter serves no useful purpose and it's part of my self-growth to not react vindictively and in a way that will negatively affect the future... even if it is all true.

There is no reason for this post other than to codify this in my mind and congratulate myself on being a sentient adult.

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 11 2012,11:55   

congratulations! LOL

i have talked people out of believing creationist bullshit.  so, it's not a lost cause.  but if they are posting bullshit about it on the internet it's probably a lost cause.  most creationists don't really know WTF it is they think they believe its just part of their identity politic

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Woodbine

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 11 2012,22:15   

RIP Whitney.

Can't say I liked your songs but those swimsuit covers were an integral part of my puberty.

:)

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 12 2012,10:06   

Free Books in .pdf form from the National Academy of Sciences today, in celebration of Darwin Day. Among others, Science, Evolution, and Creationism from a few years ago.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2012,21:56   

phhhhht is k.i.l.l.i.n.g. me on the BW at PT

floydlee is still babbling away over there same as ever, and has apparently not been flanked hard enough yet.  still thinks well shit you know fuck it i aint going into it you'll see

Flawd the Damnd said:

Odd that you didn’t respond to what I noted after “Leaving that aside…”

Of course not. There’s no need to.

Honestly, what you said is so foreign to even the mainliners and snorters and even inhalers and comicals (let alone conservatives and traditionalists), so alien to either standard Comicism or standard Superheroism textbooks, that it pretty much eliminates you from serious rational consideration outside this forum.

(Shoot, even my comix professor never went that far when he taught us his skeptical stuff about Robin and Issue 1. You REALLY need to get out more!)

Also there’s no need to debate about the “Batmobile” term. The word is there in Plain English (Issue 3, online), Kane clearly wrote it there, and we know exactly where it derived from.

It’s a compound word, Schmidt says it’s a compound word, Gagnon says it’s a compound word, and it actually looks like a compound word when you check it out yourself (bat + mobile = batmobile).

The only thing left to point out is what the word means, of course. According to the Alfred Pennyworth Lexicon (3rd edition), the bat word effectively means: “guy who dresses up in a bat costume.” So batmobile means “guy who dresses up in a bat costume with a cell [i.e. mobile] phone.”

But it’s not about trashing people. Issue 11 says, in effect, that the Batman flew AND cleaned up and freed the Gothamites from ALL their moving violations, which included sexual behavior. Straight or gay, Batman cleaned up after all of them. Nothing’s too hard or soft for Him.

But meanwhile, I think the comical data speaks for itself. You simply reject Batman, Robin, and the Batmobile, that’s all. (Plus you got some weird hermeneutical baggage too.)

FD

that shit is hilarious. and robin old buddy you have guts of steel and titanium canines because floyd is a robowhackamole if i ever seen one

--------------

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2012,22:34   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Feb. 12 2012,08:06)
Free Books in .pdf form from the National Academy of Sciences today, in celebration of Darwin Day. Among others, Science, Evolution, and Creationism from a few years ago.

I downloaded one. Thanks for the head-up.

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 14 2012,03:23   

Quote (Dr.GH @ Feb. 13 2012,22:34)

Missed it. tears

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 16 2012,06:47   

Quote (Dr.GH @ Feb. 13 2012,23:34)

No prob. Glad you found something that interested you.

ETA:
Quote (Quack @ Feb. 14 2012,04:23)

Missed it. tears

bummer. :-(

Edited by Lou FCD on Feb. 16 2012,07:49

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 17 2012,11:14   

booby byers on PT

my point here was not about us bringing evidence against evolution. I guess you mean evidence against your evidence. My point was a logical deduction that evolution, not being true, couldn’t possibly have biological evidence behind it. Therefore it couldn’t be the product of biological investigation with (or even without) using the scientific method. This because I’m confident and esteem the ability of modern biologists to indeed investigate biology with methodology. therefore evolutionary biology must be from non biological investigation. I find this to be true. It is largely about geological sequences and casts(or rocks) within these sequences that accounts for conclusions about evolutionary biology. In fact you make my case by your other lines of investigation. They ain’t biology. Not the actual processes of biology but only atomic things or results from biological life.

In retrospect the error of evolution and its persistence will be seen as the result of missing that one can not research biological process and relationships by looking at rocks. They are mere pictures. Conclusions can be drawn but not biological ones if methodology is following standard rules. Thats where they went wrong!

--------------

OgreMkV

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 17 2012,11:53   

Quote (Erasmus, FCD @ Feb. 17 2012,11:14)
booby byers on PT

my point here was not about us bringing evidence against evolution. I guess you mean evidence against your evidence. My point was a logical deduction that evolution, not being true, couldn’t possibly have biological evidence behind it. Therefore it couldn’t be the product of biological investigation with (or even without) using the scientific method. This because I’m confident and esteem the ability of modern biologists to indeed investigate biology with methodology. therefore evolutionary biology must be from non biological investigation. I find this to be true. It is largely about geological sequences and casts(or rocks) within these sequences that accounts for conclusions about evolutionary biology. In fact you make my case by your other lines of investigation. They ain’t biology. Not the actual processes of biology but only atomic things or results from biological life.

In retrospect the error of evolution and its persistence will be seen as the result of missing that one can not research biological process and relationships by looking at rocks. They are mere pictures. Conclusions can be drawn but not biological ones if methodology is following standard rules. Thats where they went wrong!

So because researchers were using Fibonacci sequences to analyze radio transmissions from black holes, then we can't use that analysis system in Wi-Fi networks?

Bob is seriously clueless.  

It's truly amazing that they cannot connect the dots.

--------------

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 17 2012,12:13   

it's even dumber than that

"since evilution is wrong, then it has no evidence.  therefore the evidence is either not of evilution but of something else or is not evidence"

--------------

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 17 2012,13:20   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Feb. 17 2012,09:14)
booby byers on PT

Dave Luckett wins the internet:
Byers astonishes the world by saying:

My point was a logical deduction that evolution, not being true, couldn’t possibly have biological evidence behind it. Therefore it couldn’t be the product of biological investigation with (or even without) using the scientific method.

This is so pristine-perfect a piece of total inversion of rationality that it should be transcribed on to acid-free paper, plasticised and placed in a vault. It could be brought out every hundred years or so and displayed to a wondering populace. Yes, junior, it really is possible that there were people who could read and write and yet be so utterly lost to reason.

I shall leave the utter demolition of it to those who wish to do it. For me, I shall only contemplate its insouciant emnity to reality with a sort of baffled awe.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

Freddie

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 18 2012,04:54   

I see UD has yet another post up with Dr Dr's view on Baylor and the evolutionary informatics lab ... this prompted my memory for something I saw a while back:

Wanted - IMDB - Trivia

Screenwriters Michael Brandt and Derek Haas named several of the movie's characters after people from their college alma mater, Baylor University. Robert Darden, the name of Wesley's first target for assassination, is the writing professor in whose class they first met. (They have used the name Darden for the first victim in several other films, as well: 3:10 to Yuma and 2 Fast 2 Furious). Sloan, the character played by Morgan Freeman, is taken from the university's previous president, who was forced to step down under pressure from faculty and alumni.

There's also a cafeteria scene in the movie, set in the assassin's HQ.  More parallels?

--------------
Joe: Most criticisims of ID stem from ignorance and jealousy.
Joe: As for the authors of the books in the Bible, well the OT was authored by Moses and the NT was authored by various people.
Byers: The eskimo would not need hairy hair growth as hair, I say, is for keeping people dry. Not warm.

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 18 2012,05:56   

Quote (The whole truth @ Feb. 02 2012,03:29)
"Dembski is a world-renowned philosopher, mathematician, and theologian, whose path-breaking book, The Design Inference (Cambridge UP, 1998), is one of the foundational texts in the intelligent-design critique of the neo-Darwinian interpretation of evolution."

From here

World renowned? LMAO! I think it's safe to say that 99.999999999999999999999% of the world's population has never hear of that dumbass.

Path breaking? Yeah, a path to a cesspool of tard.

Thanks for the link. I found Dembski's perception of events quite fascinating and even found myself having some sympathy for him. He's just let down by the unfortunate fact that ID is vacuous.

Soapy Sam

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 18 2012,06:27   

error

Edited by Soapy Sam on Feb. 18 2012,06:31

--------------

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 18 2012,06:30   

Never mind.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2012,23:06   

more booby.  
I have concluded evolution is wrong for many reasons but my point is therefore it couldn’t possibly be based on biological investigation by biologists. Those who do evolutionary biology are biologists and therefore I logically conclude biological investigation was not done but thought too have been done. I then strive to show why.

--------------

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 20 2012,05:26   

Thanks for the link. I found Dembski's perception of events quite fascinating and even found myself having some sympathy for him. He's just let down by the unfortunate fact that ID is vacuous.

It is difficult to think about forgiveness for what he has done, but presumable being a relatively normal human being, how can he tackle all the criticism? However, unless he knows and understand what he is doing, waking up to reality might be the worst thing that could happen to him.

If he only could be left to himself; if he only would stop messing with imortant matters. Why don't he set himself up as a pastor with his own church, one more in America wouldn't make much of a difference? We'd all be happier.

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 20 2012,07:15   

Quote (Quack @ Feb. 20 2012,00:26)

It is difficult to think about forgiveness for what he has done, but presumable being a relatively normal human being, how can he tackle all the criticism? However, unless he knows and understand what he is doing, waking up to reality might be the worst thing that could happen to him.

If he only could be left to himself; if he only would stop messing with imortant matters. Why don't he set himself up as a pastor with his own church, one more in America wouldn't make much of a difference? We'd all be happier.

I'm not sure how much real impact (if any) Dembski has had in the mainstream so I don't regard him as unforgivable to the extent that I would suggest (for example) Saddam Hussein's legacy is. The fundamentalist creationist movement has made some use of him but he seems to have become a disappointment to them now. From the remark I quote from the interview:

There’s a mentality I see emerging in conservative Christian circles that one can never be quite conservative enough. This has really got me thinking about fundamentalism and the bane it is. It’s one thing to hold views passionately. It’s another to hold one particular view so dogmatically that all others may not even be discussed, or their logical consequences considered. This worries me about the future of evangelicalism.

it appears he may regret the closeness of the association, too. (Though the irony of the complaint about dogma obviating free discussion is not lost on me.)

But what do I know, insulated as I am from Bible belt fundamentalism by the Atlantic!

OgreMkV

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 20 2012,09:25   

When chemists do a bake sale

Periodic bake Sale

--------------

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 20 2012,11:36   

DaveScot sighting! DaveScot squashing! Davie doesn't fare so well when he doesn't have the ban hammer.

David Springer | February 18, 2012 at 11:50 am |
“SST is a ways off”

You bet it is. There’s no anthropogenic warming in the ocean. That’s because where there’s an infinite supply of water to evaporate back radiation doesn’t slow down heat loss. Restricting the ability to lose energy via radiation just increases the amount lost by evaporation. Over land where there is no infinite supply of water the response to increased radiative restriction is a higher surface temperature. So-called global warming is really land warming. Over land we can expect 1.1C per doubling of CO2. Over water we can expect little to no rise at all. Given that there’s twice as much water as land then the average global surface temperature is only going to rise a half degree C per doubling. This agrees with observations. There is no missing heat. The missing heat is evenly distributed in a sphere with a radius of 100 light years with the earth at its center.

kim | February 18, 2012 at 11:54 am |
I have Kevin Trenberth heself for a reference @ NPR that the ‘missing heat’ may have already been radiated off into space. Now, there’s a scientist.

Somewhere there under that velvet growth of policy.
===================

Steven Mosher | February 18, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
Dave you seem a bit overconfident. have you looked at icoads? when you finish building a dataset from the ground up please share it
until that work is done I think its best to be open minded. sceptical

From here:
http://judithcurry.com/2012....ata-set

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
I’m not an evolutionist, I’m a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 20 2012,12:40   

Quote (dvunkannon @ Feb. 20 2012,12:36)
DaveScot sighting! DaveScot squashing! Davie doesn't fare so well when he doesn't have the ban hammer.

David Springer | February 18, 2012 at 11:50 am |
“SST is a ways off”

You bet it is. There’s no anthropogenic warming in the ocean. That’s because where there’s an infinite supply of water to evaporate back radiation doesn’t slow down heat loss. Restricting the ability to lose energy via radiation just increases the amount lost by evaporation. Over land where there is no infinite supply of water the response to increased radiative restriction is a higher surface temperature. So-called global warming is really land warming. Over land we can expect 1.1C per doubling of CO2. Over water we can expect little to no rise at all. Given that there’s twice as much water as land then the average global surface temperature is only going to rise a half degree C per doubling. This agrees with observations. There is no missing heat. The missing heat is evenly distributed in a sphere with a radius of 100 light years with the earth at its center.

kim | February 18, 2012 at 11:54 am |
I have Kevin Trenberth heself for a reference @ NPR that the ‘missing heat’ may have already been radiated off into space. Now, there’s a scientist.

Somewhere there under that velvet growth of policy.
===================

Steven Mosher | February 18, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
Dave you seem a bit overconfident. have you looked at icoads? when you finish building a dataset from the ground up please share it
until that work is done I think its best to be open minded. sceptical

From here:
http://judithcurry.com/2012.......ata-set

that is unquestionably him.  so, giving up on creationism davtard is now a full fledged AGW denialist crank.  at least he he has retained his flair

loltwot

score:  some winners:1
alarmists: 0

and so forth.  i suppose he must have the floating command center about finished, mushroom tolerance threshold near 1, now trolling interboobz again.  retirement must be boring eh DT?

--------------

19967 replies since Jan. 17 2006,08:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (666) < ... 568 569 570 571 572 [573] 574 575 576 577 578 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]