RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 11 2006,09:27   

You find Davison amusing? I find his comments empty and pompous. I stopped reading them ages ago, when he was still allowed on PT. Watching the IDers pretend to be neither creationists, nor religiously motivated, watching them delete large threads because they've mucked things up irredeemably, watching engineers talk about how they're revolutionizing biology while botching introductory concepts like the shape of DNA in a plasmid, those things are the hilarious parts of Uncommon Pissant, in my opinion.

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 11 2006,11:50   

I think John is a one trick pony but looking at his mention of phishyphred on UD I suspect phred is a sock puppet. I think he may have had some help from "psycho" Springer but who knows?

phishyphred

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 11 2006,12:09   

russell you must have reading problem...skell asked 70 eminent researchers if darwin theory guided them...70 said no...my choice not pissant russell who? vs. phil skell in scientist it phil skell and 70 eminent researchers against pissant who?...skell go on to say his colleague will not rock darwin boat in public so we can not trust "official" NAS position...so save the drama for your mama...now i ask earlier if phil skell a liar...do you say he a liar?...please give me quote to spread around from russell who? is phil skell a liar?

phishyphred

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 11 2006,12:18   

stevestory i google davescot and get 16200 hit...not all right davescot but most are...it look like he say million words on evolution and you only got one mistake to crow about?...i say that pretty good showing for davescot...you ever hear word "perspective"?...better study it more...him one man travelling circus act whipping darwin clown butt...hahaha...circus/clown get it?...i still try to beat gergonomic joke comparing pim to skell

phishyphred

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 11 2006,12:24   

"So, Phishy, are you JAD or not?"

not...and if drunk stevestory (that explain a lot) left any bottle unopened i take the fifth on further questions of this nature

sir_toejam

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 11 2006,15:31   

dude, speed kills!

stop smokin' crack, eh?

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 11 2006,16:09   

stevestory i google davescot and get 16200 hit...not all right davescot but most are...it look like he say million words on evolution and you only got one mistake to crow about?
Why do you incorrectly assume I have only one mistake to point to?

DaveScot has deleted dozens of his own comments. Several of the people at Uncommon Pissant have deleted their own comments, and entire threads, when they got embarrassed.

Here's discussion about one of my favorites:

Dave Springer and the Case of the Missing Post 744

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 11 2006,16:13   

Pound for pound, Uncommon Pissant might be the funniest website on the internet. Or maybe Answers in Genesis. Hard to say.

avocationist

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 11 2006,16:54   

Greg,

A reasonably intelligent and interested layperson - even a ninth grader - can quite easily understand,

Well, now, that could be the problem right there. I only completed the 8th grade. Never set foot in high school. I just couldn't take it anymore. The main, but not the only reason I hated school was that they prevented me from reading.

Unfortunately and I'm ashamed to admit it, but purely for economic reasons I ruined my pristine state of nonschooling in my 30's and got an AA degree. It even included a few basic courses in cell biology, microbiology and what was probably high school level chemistry. I got straight A's course. If I had had any idea that school could ever become more exciting than solitary confinement, I'd have done what my niece just did - raised literally in a barn without electricity by her hippie parents, she has a totally free ride to Amherst. (Where she will no doubt become a Darwinist.)

and even accept (if they haven't already acquired a mental block which prevents them from doing so), the fundamentals of the Theory of Evolution, as I hope you'll discover when you read Mayr.

But you only assume I have a mental block. Sigh...so few people really know what it means to worship the goddess of truth. One must be willing to chop off one's very limbs and cast them into the flames. At Darwinism I wouldn't even flinch if I thought it were true. And maybe you'll convince me yet!

The point I was trying to make with that comment was that it is invariably non-biologists (like you) who are trying to tell us biologists what is and isn't an accepted theory in biology. The Theory of Evolution is accepted by biologists, whether you like it or not (clearly you don't).
If I implied that I don't think it is accepted by biologists, then I apologize. I believe I loved cell biology best of all; nerve conduction is sublime.

I sincerely hope you get something out of Mayr's book. But given that you've already made up your mind that mutations aren't necessary or sufficient to explain evolution, before you've bothered to learn what mutations even are, I suspect my hope is in vain.
I have to admit that random mutations seem very unlikely to be responsible for much good, but I certainly want to learn more about it. Perhaps if I learn more, I'll understand your mistakes!  :)

Russell,

Are you intentionally being obtuse? Do you really think our understanding of biology, our ability to use it and predict it, is independent of our understanding of how organisms evolve?
I promise I'm not. I know that you are studying single-celled organisms, and that they do mutate a bit. But in what way is your research affected by descent with modification? Do you know what previous species of bacteria your bacteria evolved from? How would that matter as compared to how your bacteria behave right now?
Your predictions may be based on learning more about how organisms mutate, but I don't see how your research is affected by the grand scheme of evoluton.

You just finished suggesting that the mechanisms by which organisms came to be what they are, are irrelevant to how we understand biology. We "Darwinists" (read: actual working scientists) think that mutation and selection are central to those mechanisms.  IDers seem to think mutation and selection are secondary at best. I'm telling you mutation and selection are all we have to understand how and why influenza changes.
 I know that you consider mutations the driving force of evolution, and that I don't. As for being all you have, I really think that if it is bacteria you are studying, and their effects upon us, then mutation and selection are all you need.

If you're interested in biology or science, why oh why are you  reading what some lawyer has to say about it? There really is no shortage of biology books written by actual biologists.
Oh, but that isn't to learn about biology. His book is kind of an eye-opener. It just gives a window into the thoughts and problems as expressed by category by the many experts in their fields. Really, the book is pretty dry.
And don't think I have forgotten Denton. I'm quite interested in what you said. I'll get back to it on the other thread.
I'm also interested in where you said some vaccines just make it worse. Are those vaccines the public never hears about?

Wesley,

Why, then, is it that they also take out any mention of a need to test ideas against the empirical evidence?
Who says that? The conclusion I'm coming to today, while reading The Flagellum Unspun, is that everyone ought to stop pretending that we have a clue. But mostly the Darwinists of course.
Talk about biting off more than one can chew! Talk about a pandora's box! Talk about making a molehill out of a mountain! Oh, Charles, what have you wrought?

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you

Happy Birthday dear Darwin
Happy Birthday to You

sir_toejam

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 11 2006,18:50   

avo, you sound a lot like GOP on one of his crankier days.

and i mean cranky as in whacky, not angry.

you're almost funny.

a clarification for you:

I know that you consider mutations the driving force of evolution, and that I don't

not correct.  evolutionary biologists consider mutation one of the primary sources that generate variability, in a population.

It is natural selection (including sexual selection) that is considered to be the primary mechanism that acts on those changes to produce overall change in a phenotype in the population.

I won't even bother to go into the more esoteric arguments involved past that, unless you can even grasp the essentials of the primary arguments first.

since you seem unable or unwilling to, I doubt there will be any need to go further.

btw, don't you have your own thread to expound your nonsense in?

avocationist

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 11 2006,21:03   

Now sexual  selection I have some respect for.

Yes, I'm aware of the role of natural selction.

sir_toejam

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 12 2006,01:23   

then act like it, doofus.

all you have shown so far is a complete misunderstanding and misrepresentation of the evidence and theory presented to you.

give me one good reason why any of us should bother conversing with you.

phishyphred

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 12 2006,02:23   

stevestory...maybe you not know what ? mean...when i say "you only have one mistake to crow about?" it end in ? and that mean it a question...i only see you mention one mistake and mention several time so i ask question you only got one mistake?...the link you give me is no davescot error of fact...so you only got one davescot error of fact to crow about?...please note question mark means it a question...thank you...feel free to justify your answer with link to davescot error of fact...if you feel this a challenge to your credibility you #### skippy it is

phishyphred

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 12 2006,02:34   

avocationist...mabye russell worry that bacteria mutate into metazoan parasite next week so he have to constantly keep in mind the modern synthesis explanation of how random mutation plus natural selection turn bacteria into baboon...i didn't know people interested in how bacteria acquire drug immunity worry about them acquiring bodies and minds too...me learn something new every day!...hahaha...good joke yes?...i still compete with gergonomic for better joke than compare pim van meurs to phillip skell

phishyphred

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 12 2006,02:45   

toejam is foul smelling sludge generated by parasitic fungus living between toes...sir_toejam is aptly named...he/she/shim parasitizes commentary with foul smelling writing living between toes of people who write headlines...hahaha...good one yes?

Chris Hyland

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 12 2006,03:30   

Most of the biochemists and molecular biologists i work with, would probably agree that darwinian evolution is of little importance to their work, and that they could get on fine without it. They are just happy to clone their genes, assay their proteins, run their gels, and all the other things that they do that I dont entirely understand but am very glad I dont have to do myself.

As i bioinformatician, what I  do is give them the sequences and location of their genes, predicted structures and functions of their proteins, and all the other genomic information that they need to do their experments. The analysis of high-throughout data, be it genome sequncing and gene/protein prediction, or gene expression analysis etc, underpins much of modern biology. This also extends to medical research and drug discovery, one of my jobs is to locate drug targets in mircoorganisms using systems biology, and other people in my lab use molecular modelling to design drug candiates bases on the structures of these targets.

The point of me saying all this is that all of what I do along with most of the rest of the people in my field, does depend on 'how' these things evolved. Ive seen a lot of people on a lot of different threads saying that this doesnt matter, but unless the work of a designer is purposefully created to mimic a non designed system, it really does, designed systems have very different properties from non-designed systems. When we 'borrow' algorithms from computer science and electronic engineering to use on biological data, we have to adapt them to assume the formation of the system, be that a DNA sequence, a protein structure, or a molecular network, was the result of non-guided evolution, otherwise they dont work. I admit that many scientists do not even consider evolution when doing their work, but I have heard many people say that if we assumed it didnt happen, or we assume that organisms are designed, it wouldnt make a difference. Without evolution, modern biological and medical research would slow to a crawl.

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 12 2006,05:00   

#

Hey folks there is some guy called fishyred or something like that that is raising #### over at “After the Bar Closes.” I think he may be Russian. Its a hoot.

Comment by John Davison — February 11, 2006 @ 3:51 am
#

fishyred? What thread topic over there, Dr. Davison?

Comment by Scott — February 11, 2006 @ 9:03 am
#

The one with far and away the most posts and viewers, the one that deals with this forum of course. There were 561 posts the last I looked. What a compliment!

Comment by John Davison — February 11, 2006 @ 9:25 am

The above plus phishpaste's instant dislike of Sir_T confirms for me that he is John Davison.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 12 2006,05:46   

if you feel this a challenge to your credibility
If you're challenging my credibility, while defending a guy who has posted under someone else's name, (Scott Page), erases his mistakes, and in the words of one ID supporter "is ruining Dembski's weblog", then go right ahead, no one cares, which is why nobody visits your weblog, JAD.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 12 2006,06:02   

LOL. the top thread at Uncommon Pissant, "Jack Krebs Asking About Common Descent", has just been updated by DaveScot. At the bottom he added
Notice: Stay on topic. This thread isn’t about whether or not common descent is true but whether or not Intelligent Design Theory takes a position on common descent and about how the association fallacy is being used to conflate IDT with denial of common descent.
Any time he mentions common descent, all the little creationists start yelling about how they ain't come from no monkey, and DaveScot gets all pissed off.

It's so great to watch.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 12 2006,11:11   

now dave's putting up limited-lifetime comments:

#

DaveScot

Is there a particular reason my comments no longer appear here, but remain awaiting moderation seemingly indefinitely?

Of course there is a reason. Any comment I don’t consider constructive, if I see it, gets flushed. This is triply true for articles I write. For some reason that I’m sure I no longer recall you have a red flag by your name so that I see all your comments. I don’t keep a diary of this stuff. If there’s a long enough period of time where I don’t flush any of your comments I remove the red flag to save myself the trouble. Read this quickly because it’s off topic and won’t stick around long. -ds

Comment by Xavier — February 12, 2006 @ 11:52 am

Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 12 2006,13:17   

Quote (stevestory @ Feb. 12 2006,17:11)
now dave's putting up limited-lifetime comments:

#

DaveScot

Is there a particular reason my comments no longer appear here, but remain awaiting moderation seemingly indefinitely?

Of course there is a reason. Any comment I don’t consider constructive, if I see it, gets flushed. This is triply true for articles I write. For some reason that I’m sure I no longer recall you have a red flag by your name so that I see all your comments. I don’t keep a diary of this stuff. If there’s a long enough period of time where I don’t flush any of your comments I remove the red flag to save myself the trouble. Read this quickly because it’s off topic and won’t stick around long. -ds

Comment by Xavier — February 12, 2006 @ 11:52 am

LOL. And which is the side that whinges about free speach? The whole thing beggars belief.

I live in the UK, when I tell people about what is going on here, my main problem is getting them to believe it.

Even when some folks view, they think it is a parody. I am having problems convincing folks in  England that this is not just a Monty Python/Benny Hill style mockery.

A few people know. But for most Brits, they think it is a joke. Hopefully parents will realise soon.

phishyphred

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 12 2006,13:40   

stephen elliot you tell me benny hill is not reality tv like judge judy?...next you tell me brits don't really have bad teeth and skin...i not believe...anyhow you better not mock americans as you overdue for germany to beat you into...how you say...whinging?...to america to stop the mean germans from killing you...maybe they not want to bail you out again...you know like three strikes you out

drunk stevestory...i not defending davescot...i making an a$$ of you...not that it much of a challenge...now you link of 2nd davescot mistake or is one all you got?...note question mark still mean it a question dummy

phishyphred

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 12 2006,13:44   

by the way...how long you girls let john davidson talk sh!t about you before you hitch up you panties and do something about it?...just curious

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 12 2006,14:07   

Actually I'm Sober Steve Story right now, having had only two Yuenglings so far. But their ten buddies in the fridge are fearing for their lives, as well they should be. You're making an a55 out of me, huh? If you say so, JAD.

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 12 2006,14:40   

Hey Phishy! I've started a whole separate topic just for you, so you can have the spotlight all to yourself, and people that - for whatever bizarre reason - don't want to have every discussion diverted by your, um, valuable contributions don't have to.

--------------
Must... not... scratch... mosquito bite.

sir_toejam

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 12 2006,17:37   

The above plus phishpaste's instant dislike of Sir_T confirms for me that he is John Davison.

hmmm. that works.  the last time he posted on PT, seems i made him blow a gasket.

I really feel sorry for the guy.  He obviously was a decent scientist at one point in his career, now is simply a cranked-out attention seeker.

some sort of mental schism happened to him in the early 80's, and he's never been the same since.

I once tried to contact UoV to see what his status was with the University.

their response was:

"John who?"

seems they had forgotten all about him years ago.

just as a reminder for those who haven't seen it, JAD's PEH (evolutionary "manifesto") earned him the title of Crankiest in the evolution section over on Crank.net last year:

http://www.crank.net/evolution.html

I'd like to think the folks at PT helped him get nominated.   ;)

Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 12 2006,22:14   

Quote (phishyphred @ Feb. 12 2006,19:40)
stephen elliot you tell me benny hill is not reality tv like judge judy?...next you tell me brits don't really have bad teeth and skin...i not believe...anyhow you better not mock americans as you overdue for germany to beat you into...how you say...whinging?...to america to stop the mean germans from killing you...maybe they not want to bail you out again...you know like three strikes you out

:D

LOL. Of course I have bad teeth and skin. I am a man, I don't spend time and money trying to be pretty.

Any Americans I am mocking, is not because they are American, but because they are ignorant and want to stay that way.

I see your knowledge of WW2 is as patchy as any other area. Hey-ho, never mind. Next time try harder.

Your commenting style looks to me like a hybrid of DS and JAD. You poor soul.

phishyphred

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 12 2006,23:46   

ah so...what up with this?

http://www.pandasthumb.org/archive....t-79349

pim van meurs who do not even say his whole name anymore and go only by initial pvm...who have no entry in panda thumb contributor list...yet who make more headline article on panda thumb than all other put together...doesn't even stack up against russell who? and drunk stevestory...except pim have long long long history of flaming and lying on usenet before he drop off radar screen ten year past

look like whoever got him good scandal material...pim van meur is designated attack dog for all "reputable" scientist who need maintain veneer of propriety since they unlike pim have reputation to protect...all except paul meyer of course he a real loose cannon with big flappy lips...must make handlers at university cringe

phishyphred

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 12 2006,23:55   

steppy "bad teeth" elliot...how my wwii knowledge spotty?...my dad tailgunner in U.S. B-26 Marauder medium bomber flying out of england in 1944...he fly 25 missions over germany and get lucky he not in 33% of american bomber crew killed keeping the nazis out of your crappy little island...ever see real norton bombsight photos of bomb blowing crap out of germany?...i got stacks of them...plus hundreds pictures of american forces in wwii britain...formation flying over germany...bomb in midair...sky filled with flak...you say america not save you?...i say eat turd and die ungrateful beeatch

guthrie

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 13 2006,01:08   

Ummm and?  My grandfather was on the beaches on D -Day.  He didnt talk about it.  

Perhaps you dont realise that your own canabilisation of someone elses experience makes you look like a small child.  Or someone who has no conception of friendship, morality, and anything else that helps you get by in the world.

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]