RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (18) < ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... >   
  Topic: AFDave Wants You to Prove Evolution to Him< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
BWE

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,06:56   

Jesus Davey-dog,

What am I, chopped liver? I offerred to debate you on your stupid liguistic problem and you declare victory before your opening salvos. You present what you think is evidence but refuse to critically examine it. Like you do with your God BS.

You have got to do something about your cranial rectal impaction problem. You didn't win idiot. Not yet anyway.

--------------
Who said that ev'ry wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it
Look what it's done so far

The Daily Wingnut

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,07:05   

Quote (stevestory @ May 21 2006,11:45)
I think everyone has noticed that. :-)

Supposedly there were some tracts he no longer publishes which were more explicit about nonwhites.

Are those now 'collector's items'?  :p

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,07:13   

i'd love to see them, but I haven't found them, only an allusion to them. And they might not exist, as early as the 1970s chick hired a black guy to draw some of his tracts. Maybe his racism was subconscious. More than anything, it's the catholics Chick hates. That's what he spends about half his time on.

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,07:20   

Here it is again Dave.

http://www.instituto-camoes.pt/cvc/literatura/eng/LINGUA.HTM

http://www.orbilat.com/Languages/Portuguese/Portuguese.html

http://www.linguaportuguesa.ufrn.br/en_2.php

http://www.krysstal.com/langfams_indoeuro.html

http://www.alsintl.com/languages/portuguese.htm

--------------
A look into DAVE HAWKINS' sense of honesty:

"The truth is that ALL mutations REDUCE information"

"...mutations can add information to a genome.  And remember, I have never said that this is not possible."

Bing

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,07:26   

Quote (stevestory @ May 21 2006,11:27)
OOOOO speaking of that...

Hey Dave! Go and read this

Big Daddy?

and tell us what you think.

I like Apes, Lies and Mrs. Henn too!

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,08:20   

I can never let a Chick mention pass without pointing to this.

--------------
A look into DAVE HAWKINS' sense of honesty:

"The truth is that ALL mutations REDUCE information"

"...mutations can add information to a genome.  And remember, I have never said that this is not possible."

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,08:24   

Thanks Bing,
I especially like the line at the end:
If you believe in evolution intead of Jesus, you'll end up in he!l

1/2 Davey, it's a good thing you believe in jesus instead of evolution. That way you won't end up in hel1 ... uh oh. Dumbsh1t Dave, Am I going to hel1? Will you tell me how to avoid it without having to lie to myself? I don't believe goddy, er, daddy, er, god wants me to lie to myself and others for some pathetic throwback to a time when god was the only good explanation we had.

--------------
Who said that ev'ry wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it
Look what it's done so far

The Daily Wingnut

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,08:42   

Quote (BWE @ May 21 2006,13:24)
Thanks Bing,
I especially like the line at the end:

"Evolution instead of Jesus".

Wow.

Chick is good, I'll give him that. Goebbels could have learned from this man.

Cuz we all know the opposite of evolution is Jesus, and it's logically impossible for anyone to believe in both (or neither).

Also, has anyone noticed how Chick seems to make heavy use of randomly boldfacing inappropriate words? For example:

I mean, WHY is 'you' boldfaced TWICE there?

This seems to be a chronic issue in Chick's work. Maybe whatever's fucked up his brain has slightly scrambled his ability to write properly.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,08:54   

hahhahahahahahaha BWE.
Love the steet names where the the Temples are, surely gdo's *exclusive* houses of worship would be at more uplifting addresses e.g. cnr Gethsemane and Gardin , I picture  Gothic Revival American Church Architecture rather than this Bauhaus-style The imposing Martin Luther Memorial Church in Mariendorf but then I digress

--------------
The conservative has but little to fear from the man whose reason is the servant of his passions, but let him beware of him in whom reason has become the greatest and most terrible of the passions.These are the wreckers of outworn empires and civilisations, doubters, disintegrators, deicides.Haldane

Russell

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,09:10   

You know what I can't help wondering: in all these transformations (Galician/Latin/Spanish/Portuguese... or Germanic/Chaucerian-English/Modern-English...) what was the role of the Tower of Babel?

--------------
Must... not... scratch... mosquito bite.

Ved

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,09:25   

No new information has been added to languages since the original "language kinds" were created by G at Babel, right? Just bad mutations and loss of information.

/cough cough choke

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,09:40   

Russell Just glossing over the Tower of Babel myth I immediately thought of the fight  over and the crossed purposefulnesses of the building of the replacements for the twin towers. Different agendas, corporate power vs people power, differing visions, no agreement yet. In other words a huge project and everyone talking past each other and not understanding and perhaps not wanting to understand the other, each claiming to have a legitimate and final authority. It doesn't stretch the imagination too much to think that such a project in the ancient world claimed a kingdom or two's treasuries with competing architect priests and imported workers building a proto pyramid or ziggurat for ...ah the usual reasons....the glory of priests and kings. Not forgetting the obvious conclusion that it is a convienient way to explain away the development of various languages.

--------------
The conservative has but little to fear from the man whose reason is the servant of his passions, but let him beware of him in whom reason has become the greatest and most terrible of the passions.These are the wreckers of outworn empires and civilisations, doubters, disintegrators, deicides.Haldane

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,10:02   

Quote (Russell @ May 21 2006,14:10)
You know what I can't help wondering: in all these transformations (Galician/Latin/Spanish/Portuguese... or Germanic/Chaucerian-English/Modern-English...) what was the role of the Tower of Babel?

Well, I assume that AFDave is completely convinced that the Tower of Babel 'incident' happened, about 5,000 years ago I'd guess. Since that would predate the breakup of Latin into the Romance languages (it would predate the breakup of most of Indo-European), he'd probably testily reply that it has no relevance to his present forays into Romance linguistics.

No new information has been added to languages since the original "language kinds" were created by G at Babel, right? Just bad mutations and loss of information.

Maybe Dave concedes linguistic microevolution but not linguistic macroevolution?  :p

--------------

sir_toejam

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,10:40   

I recently heard that viruses represent the majority of biomass in oceans.

Really?  I always thought it was nematodes.

Can you dig up the reference for that, Jean?

sounds like yet another bit of my knowledge may have become outdated.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,10:42   

That's cause you're a nematard. You been here four hour. You go now. -dt

sir_toejam

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,10:44   

one of these days, Steve, you should just make a post over on the UD thread that simply consists of all the made up DT "ban lines".

some funny stuff there.

jeannot

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,10:54   

Quote (sir_toejam @ May 21 2006,15:40)
I recently heard that viruses represent the majority of biomass in oceans.

Can you dig up the reference for that, Jean?

sounds like yet another bit of my knowledge may have become outdated.

Science 12 May 2006:
Vol. 312. no. 5775, pp. 870 - 872
DOI: 10.1126/science.312.5775.870

Did DNA Come From Viruses?
Carl Zimmer

A growing number of scientists hope to get rid of that question mark. They recognize that a full account of the evolution of life must include viruses. Not only are they unimaginably abundant--most of the biomass in the ocean is made up of viruses--but they are also extraordinarily diverse genetically, in part because they can acquire genes from their hosts.

I don't have the original article where they estimated the total biomass of 'oceanic' viruses.

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,14:41   

Quote (afdave @ May 21 2006,05:14)
Eric ... don't make yourself look ridiculous like Rilke did ... you're one of the guys here whose intellect I respect ...

shake it off, my friend ...

It's not that bad ... you just lost a stupid little side argument that doesn't even matter in the big scheme of things ...

Dave, I've already said I know jack about Portuguese history, and not much more about linguistics. But so far, based on what people who do seem to know what they're talking about are saying, I'm going to make a judgment call and say you don't know what you're talking about.

Working for a law firm, I've read a lot of witness testimony in my time. A lot of it was by expert witnesses. Doubtless, all those experts knew more, in their particular area of expertise, than I do. But you read enough of these guys, and you develop a sense of who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't. Based on my experience in separating out the bullshit from the real learnin,' I'm saying you don't actually know what you're talking about, and so far the evidence you've cited in support of your position doesn't actually support it. When someone cites historical evidence in support of what is actually a linguistic argument, but no linguistic evidence, it's pretty clear that they're kind of losing the argument.

Now, it may be that you're actually right that French + Spanish = Portuguese. But you're not even close to having established any such thing.  I haven't lost any bets, because I haven't made any bets. But anyone who pays you anything under the impression that you've "won" is a sucker. As far as I can tell, you haven't "won" anything.

--------------
2006 MVD award for most dogged defense of scientific sanity

"Atheism is a religion the same way NOT collecting stamps is a hobby." —Scott Adams

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,14:51   

STJ there are a couple of new names here for you
Hugo Now
Gene Theives

Hugo Steelgenes walks into a futuristic brain bar and orders a beer and a young ....

this could could be fun.

--------------

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,14:53   

Quote (k.e @ May 21 2006,19:51)
STJ there are a couple of new names here for you
Hugo Now
Gene Theives

Hugo Steelgenes walks into a futuristic brain bar and orders a beer and a young ....

this could could be fun.

Um, I think you posted this on the wrong thread...

--------------

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,15:01   

Metachatter-Yeah Arden I was going to do that but the inpiration came from posts directed to STJ on this thread.

--------------

sir_toejam

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,15:39   

I don't have the original article where they estimated the total biomass of 'oceanic' viruses.

thanks jean, it's a start.

You probably wouldn't be surprised how often the biomass question arises in discussions with students.

It does surprise me tho, that this factoid is not referenced in the paper you quote from.  It should have been.

KE - I'll get back to that later, if you don't mind.

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,15:53   

continuing....a young not unattractive female of the opposite sexual pesausion sitting at the otherwise emty seaside bar on that cold spring morning is deeply engrossed in a hardcover book. Hugo looks over and smiles"interesting book?" she frowns and holds it up so he can read the cover. "The Selfish Gene" he reads as she stares directly into his eyes. He raises his eybrows and introduces himself "I'm Hugo, I'm an ithycologist" this momentarily disarms her frown, but before she can say anything the door bursts open, "Is there an ithycologist here?" a distraught call comes from someone who seems to have just run up from the beach........

--------------

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,15:57   

bah cut and paste no work
thats ichthyologist

--------------

Paul Flocken

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,17:01   

Quote (stevestory @ May 21 2006,08:15)

So presumably, a million years from now, there might be only bacteria ... no mammals, right?

My question is ... why didn't the bacteria win before mammals appeared?  Weren't they evolving just as rapidly early in earth history as they are now?
Dave, the comic book you learned evolution from--was it even in English?

[snark]That comic probably had Chick somewhere in the title.  Doh![/snark]

--------------
"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie--deliberate, contrived, and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.  Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."-John F. Kennedy

Paul Flocken

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,17:05   

Quote (Bing @ May 21 2006,11:21)
Quote (stevestory @ May 21 2006,08:15)
Dave, the comic book you learned evolution from--was it even in English?

Chick tracts are written in English, so the answer is presumably 'yes'.

D@mn, I really must learn to read all the way to the end of a thread before posting.

--------------
"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie--deliberate, contrived, and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.  Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."-John F. Kennedy

sir_toejam

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,17:13   

a distraught call comes from someone who seems to have just run up from the beach........

after bursting through the door and regaining his composure, the man, who just happened to be named Victor, quickly informed Hugo that he just saw a giant tentacle come from the ocean, grab several beachgoers, and then disappear beneath the waves.

"Great Scott!  That sounds like an Architeuthis attack!  I've never heard of one this close to land before.  But then, I'm just an ichthyologist, I don't normally study cephalopod behavior.  Perhaps we should try to locate someone more familiar with squids before we begin our investigation?"

...and so, having completely forgotten the attractive woman who had been eyeing him previously (biologists can be like that whenever an interesting fish tale arises), Hugo and Victor set off to examine the scene of the apparent giant-squid attack, and see if there were any cephalopod experts hanging about on the beach....

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: May 21 2006,18:12   

An old codger no one noticed before sitting in the corner smoking a pipe and drinkning neat schapps, struggled to his foot, his other was a wooden leg. "Arrrgh.." he calls "shes back...to give me my other leg"
Hugo and Victor look at each other in astonishment, "you mean that giant squid was here before?" they both said at once.
The old man looked at them wide eyed, "What the #### are you talking about? Katy my nurse, shes at the bar with me new leg".....

--------------

Rilke's Granddaughter

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2006,03:49   

Been studying.  Let's see if Dave came up with anything.
Let me deal with Steve's little deal first.  I won't bet you on that because you are correct that Henry was dead long before 1143.  I composed my sentence ambiguously ... it should have read "Spanish and Portuguese were essentially the same language until 1143 AD when Portugal broke away from Spanish control.  The break away was begun by a French nobleman by the name of Henry of Burgundy" --  little more specific.
Sorry, Dave, you lied, pure and simple.  This isn't ambiguous:
Spanish and Portuguese were essentially the same language until 1143 AD when Portugal broke away from Spanish control under a French nobleman by the name of Henry of Burgundy.
This is factually wrong.  It is incorrect.  It is a statement written by a moron so that morons will have something to read in the morning.

In fact, you just admitted that you were wrong!  But your ego (typical fundie) won't let you admit that, so you attempt to claim 'ambiguity'.

Since I predicted that you would be unable to acknowledge that you made a stupid statement, I win.

Dave, we realize that you're a fool; we realize that you're ignorant of history, linguistics, philosophy, theology, science, etc.  We understand that, and we pity you - really we do.  It must be #### to be so illiterate that you can't even write a simple statement about history without botching it completely.

But don't you think you could show a little Christian integrity?  By not lying?  By admitting error?  By not making yourself look any stupider than you already have?

Again, what we are doing here, though is answering a claim by Rilke that I am an idiot for thinking Portuguese is a mix of Spanish and French.
And indeed, you are an idiot for claiming that 'Portuguese (which of course is Spanish and French mixed)'  There are no other possibilities here: you are wrong.

There will be several lessons learned here.
Are you planning to learn from any of them?  I doubt it, since that would require you to actually both and understand one of our posts.  Your track record isn't very good so far, I'm afraid.

One will be that I have met many people like Rilke on these threads who are very arrogant about their supposed intellectual superiority and at the same time are quite vehement about attacking the supposed lack of intelligence they see in YECs like me.
Aha!  Once again we see that the problem here is poor Dave's ego.  Wound his vanity by pointing out that he's an idiot and he reacts like a cat that's had it's tail stepped on.

Dave, such vanity is blatantly unChristian.  You should not let your ego get in the way of actual knowledge.  That would be stupid.

This from Rilke's source of choice (Wikipedia): Although the vocabularies of Spanish and Portuguese are quite similar, phonetically Portuguese is somewhat closer to Catalan or to French. It is often claimed that the complex phonology of Portuguese compared to Spanish explains why it is generally not intelligible to Spanish speakers despite the strong lexical similarity between the two languages.Portuguese and French
Interesting.  Nothing in there about Portuguese being a 'mixture of French and Spanish.'

Dave, when you cite something in your support, you really should cite that something that actually supports you.  Otherwise you simply come across as illiterate and illogical.  Do try harder next time, won't you?  I forgive you this time, since you're clearly young and inexperienced with discussion and argument, but if you want to debate with adults you're going to need to practice.

Of course if you get a good Medieval History Encyclopedia, you can get all kinds of details about this period in history when Portuguese and Spanish diverged.
Of course.  That's what history books are for, Dave.  Perhaps you should try reading one?
What you will see is massive Burgundian influence beginning with the influx of thousands of Burgundian knights in response to Alfonso VI who had a Burgundian wife, then the Burgundian Henry, grandson of Robert I of Burgundy then to Afonso Henriques, son of Henry.  [Oh ... by the way ... I guess I'd better fill you in that Burgundy is in France ... small detail].
Ok, so far we've established that Burgundians helped dear old Alfonso VI.  What, precisely, does this have to do with 'Portuguese (which of course is Spanish and French mixed)'?

Anyway, Afonso Henriques captures Lisbon and sets up his capital.  Then if you do some further reading, you find out that standard Portuguese is based on the dialect of Lisbon, according to Rilke's other favorite source, Encyclopedia Brittanica.  Can you guess that Lisbon probably had greater French influence than anywhere else in Portugal?  I hope I'm not moving too fast for anyone.
Well, for snails, perhaps.  The rest of us have gotten bored waiting for you to make a point.  Unfortunately, nothing you have regurgitated so far establishes 'Portuguese (which of course is Spanish and French mixed)'.

Hmmm ... let's think now ... a whole bunch of French knights come into western Spain to help out the king who has a French wife.  Another French guy comes into Spain and marries a Spanish wife.  They take over Lisbon and set up the Kingdom of Portugal.  Do you see what's happening?  This is not rocket science folks.   This is kind of like 1+2=3.  See?  Spanish + French = Portuguese.
Dave, I wouldn't suggest math as a career choice.  I'll hope you're not an engineer, because only a moron would make such a claim.

You have stated that 'Burgundians were involved during a formative period of Portuguese politics.'  This does NOT establish that 'Portuguese (which of course is Spanish and French mixed)'.

In order to establish that fact, you'd have to deal with linguistic history.

Now if you have all three of these languages in your own family (my mother speaks fluent Portuguese and Spanish and my cousin speaks fluent French), you tend to have a little better overview of these languages than the average Joe (or Rilke).
Which does not give you any understanding of the linguistics or linguistic history of these tongues.  After all, any moron can be taught language.  But it takes some actual intelligence to understand it.
I can tell you that if you have heard all three languages like I have, the mix is quite obvious.

Ah, so you have now tried two different arguments:

1) there were Burgundians in Portugal during a formative period.

2) I, Dave, personally think these languages sound mixed.  That, of course, is based on the fact that you're not the one who speaks all three - you just listen to them.

Neither of these arguments establishes that 'Portuguese (which of course is Spanish and French mixed)'?

And if you think and are honest (I'm finding this to be a slightly scarce combo here),
You do have a problem with lying and blatant dishonesty of the intellectual kind, it's true.
instead of just shoot your mouth off about how all YECs are stupid idiots,
I haven't.  I have pointed out that you, Dave, are

1) ignorant of history
2) ignorant of science
3) ignorant of theology
4) ignorant of logic
5) ignorant of debate
6) ignorant of manners

and

7) not terribly bright.

That hardly applies to all YECs.  Just you.  Otherwise I'd be generalizeing.

you can see how Wikipedia would make a statement like ...

phonetically Portuguese is somewhat closer to Catalan or to French. (by the way, Catalan the language of Andorra -- just below France on the map)[/quote] So?  In what fashion does that establish that 'Portuguese (which of course is Spanish and French mixed)'?

Answer: it doesn't, of course.  Can you demonstrate that Portuguese possesses a mixture of French and Spanish grammar?  A mixture of French and Spanish vocabulary?  A mixture of French and Spanish pronunciation?

Apparently not.

Either choice you make, I'm going to take this thread back to it's intended content and expand it a bit.  I will pretty much abandon the Ape Thread now as it has served its purpose.  I have successfully shown that there is nothing more than flimsy evidence which could be construed as positive support for Common Descent of Apes and Humans, although there is excellent evidence for common ancestry within the Apes as well as within all the other originally created kinds.
I see.  Choosing to run away?  How Christian.  How brave.

(Rilke--you probably knew about this little detail in Wikipedia, but just withheld it, right?  Very honest of you)
Not at all.  I presumed you might have the intelligence to read it yourself... and understand it.  Apparently, I was wrong.

Let's sum up, shall we?

Dave claimed, 'Portuguese (which of course is Spanish and French mixed)'?

Dave has tried to support this by stating that:

1) Burgundians were involved in early Portugese history.

2) Portuguese has phonetic similarities to Catalan and French.

3) Dave thinks that Portuguese sounds like Spanish and French mixed.

What are we to make of this?  

1) Having Burgundians present doesn't mean that 'Portuguese (which of course is Spanish and French mixed)' - especially since neither of these two languages existed in anything like their present form at the time.  More importantly, the historical fact of the presence of Burgundians doesn't demonstrate anything about the linguistic history of the language.

2) Catalan.  Well, the amusing part here is that Catalan is not French.  From our ever reliable source, Wikipedia (I use it primarily because Dave seems to trust it):
Ethnologue, its specific classification is a member of the East Iberian branch of the Ibero-Romance branch of the Gallo-Iberian branch of the Western sub complex of the Italo-Western complex of the Romance group of the Italic branch of the Indo-European language family. It shares many features with both Spanish and French, and is the language nearest to Occitan, and is often thought of as a sort of "transitory" language between the Iberian and Gallic languages when comparing the modern descendants of Latin.

So claiming, as Dave did, that the Wikipedia quote concerning the Catalan pronunciation was meaningless.

More importantly, the statement that Portuguese is phoenetically similar to French does nothing to establish the truth of 'Portuguese (which of course is Spanish and French mixed)' unless Dave also demonstrates that Portuguese is ALSO PHOENETICALLY SIMILAR TO SPANISH.'

Which he has, of course, not done.

Finally, (3) - Dave's personal opinion that the language sounds that way.  Not actual evidence, Dave - just your personal opinion.

And your personal opinion, as established by your unfortunate ignorance noted above, has been determined to be worthless.

Finally summary:

1) Dave made a blatantly incorrect statement.

2) When called on it, rather than demonstrate any intellectual integrity by admitting his mistake, he stated something quite different (ignoring his original error).

3) When called on the fact that his [i]different
statement was also wrong, he denied it and offered money to salve his ego.

4) Finally brought to bay, he offered various clippings and his personal opinion to try to establish that his second statement was still correct.

5) But his clippings do not establish the truth of his original statement; and his personal opinion is valueless.

Dave, it is unChristian to lie; and disappointing to see you show so little intellectual integrity.

You are, I'm sorry to say, a moron.

But I appreciate that you're not very good at this 'debate' thing, and we'd like to help you learn more.

The first thing to learn is to admit your mistakes and errors, and not commit sins in covering them up.

Christ would like that.  I understand he's your hero; you could do worse than try to emulate him.

If there is anything else we can do to help, you just let us know.

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: May 22 2006,04:28   

Rilke--  You crashed and burned, and even your friends cannot defend you on this one.  What better expert do you need than your friend, Arden Chatfield who has a PhD in linguistics?  Here is what he said ...
Another point: the only way Portuguese could be a mixture of Spanish and French would be if French had the opportunity to influence Portuguese in a big way.

And I responded with ...

Uh ... er ... a big influence, huh ... like maybe thousands of French knights coming over to help Alfonso VI, maybe?  Did you even read my post?  Here's the part you might have missed ...

Of course if you get a good Medieval History Encyclopedia, you can get all kinds of details about this period in history when Portuguese and Spanish diverged.  What you will see is massive Burgundian influence beginning with the influx of thousands of Burgundian knights in response to Alfonso VI who had a Burgundian wife, then the Burgundian Henry, grandson of Robert I of Burgundy then to Afonso Henriques, son of Henry.  [Oh ... by the way ... I guess I'd better fill you in that Burgundy is in France ... small detail].  Anyway, Afonso Henriques captures Lisbon and sets up his capital.  Then if you do some further reading, you find out that standard Portuguese is based on the dialect of Lisbon, according to Rilke's other favorite source, Encyclopedia Brittanica.  Can you guess that Lisbon probably had greater French influence than anywhere else in Portugal?  I hope I'm not moving too fast for anyone.

Hmmm ... let's think now ... a whole bunch of French knights come into western Spain to help out the king who has a French wife.  Another French guy comes into Spain and marries a Spanish wife.  They take over Lisbon and set up the Kingdom of Portugal.  Do you see what's happening?  This is not rocket science folks.   This is kind of like 1+2=3.  See?  Spanish + French = Portuguese.

Now if you have all three of these languages in your own family (my mother speaks fluent Portuguese and Spanish and my cousin speaks fluent French), you tend to have a little better overview of these languages than the average Joe (or Rilke).  I can tell you that if you have heard all three languages like I have, the mix is quite obvious.

It doesn't take a PhD in linguistics to see this, Arden.  

If you want to argue something new, go start a new thread on Martin Luther, or the Catholic church, or Hitler or something else fun.

So Rilke ... Arden (the Linguistics PhD) says "Another point: the only way Portuguese could be a mixture of Spanish and French would be if French had the opportunity to influence Portuguese in a big way.

And the "opportunity to influence Portuguese in a big way" is so obvious from history that only a liar would miss it.

Face it, Rilke, you called me an idiot for a statement I made and now you look so ridiculous that even your friends are changing the subject.

But keep on flailing if you want to.  I'm going back to more productive arguments.

It's OK.  It's not like I disproved the ToE or something.  This was only a stupid little side issue anyway.

--------------
A DILEMMA FOR THE COMMITTED NATURALIST
A Hi-tech alien spaceship lands on earth ... DESIGNED.
A Hi-tech alien rotary motor found in a cell ... NOT DESIGNED.
http://afdave.wordpress.com/....ess.com

517 replies since April 17 2006,14:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (18) < ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]