RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (666) < ... 312 313 314 315 316 [317] 318 319 320 321 322 ... >   
  Topic: The Bathroom Wall, A PT tradition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Daniel Smith

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 23 2008,18:02   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Nov. 22 2008,13:10)

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 22 2008,14:59)

I believe you snip the parts you have no good answer for.

Then you should press me on those points, and see if that is the case.

I figure you'd answer the points if you could.  Why is it up to me to keep the pressure on you to answer a point I've already made?

So you're admitting that a scientific philosophy based solely on naturalism could not predict the construction of something as complex as life?  After all, if it is a highly contingent series of events, it would not be predicted to happen, (except of course under the "everything's possible" catch-all category).

Contingent events don't necessarily happen. They occur only if certain other other facts are also the case (that's the definition of "contingent.")

Please.  Stop with the condescension.  My point was contingent upon the definition of 'contingent' (see I even used it in a sentence!).  

My point (reiterated) was that a theory dependent upon natural mechanisms would have no basis for predicting such a contingent event.

The emergence of life on earth was contingent upon the prior formation of heavier elements in supernovas. It was contingent upon existence of water in liquid form, which in turn required that the earth and its star stand in particular relation to one another. Among myriad other facts. I believe that might easily have not occurred. But it did.

I also happen to believe, BTW, that the emergence of life SOMEWHERE in the universe, and probably in many places, was/is inevitable (because the universe is so vast, the likelihood of the required contingent events arising together in many locations is very high).

But these are my personal beliefs. I don't claim that they are "scientific" assertions, nor am I representing myself as a spokesman for all of science.

The only reason you're predicting that it would happen elsewhere is because life already exists on this planet.  It's not something you would predict if you knew nothing of life.

BTW, you still don't seem to grasp the problem entailed in "predicting" events that have already occurred.

I don't?  Ha! Now that's funny!

Now, I'm not smart enough to make a specific prediction about anything and then tell you how it could be empirically verified.

THANK YOU. But the problem isn't your IQ. The problem is that it simply isn't possible to generate tractable empirical predictions of power and specificity sufficient to guide empirical research from the framework you are advocating. Regardless of IQ.
I think you're wrong.  If I knew more about biology, my predictions would be more specific.

Then I invite you to search the ID literature high and low and find an example. You're the one making the claim that empirical predictions of sufficient power to test and falsify your hypothesis are possible. The burden is on you to demonstrate that.   

But what if God (or some other being) actually did create life?

My argument is that life is so intricately organized - it requires God as its source.

However, within the God-centered empirical framework, we'd predict that a rational, creative God would create spectacular, incredibly marvelous things.

I'd expect God's creations to be the same - only orders of magnitude more advanced.

1) God organized the first cell(s) from the raw materials available here on earth.

2) God fitted these cells with 'universal' genomes which contained information for their differentiation...

First, God is not a man - he is not bound to our physical limitations. He's also all powerful. Essentially he could just will the atoms into place.

God made the first cell(s) in the same way man makes a car.  He put the parts together.

When have I appealed to "supernatural" mechanisms?

Oy.

I guess you automatically hear "supernatural" when someone says "God".  The only statement you listed that would qualify as an appeal to supernatural mechanism would be this one (which was just a way of saying "I don't know" for me):                    
First, God is not a man - he is not bound to our physical limitations. He's also all powerful. Essentially he could just will the atoms into place.

The rest are not appeals to supernatural mechanisms - they are appeals to an intelligent basis for nature, (and my label for that intelligence just happens to be "God").

Listen carefully Bill:  Pointing out that intricate organization which is so far beyond the capabilities of nature that it requires intelligent agency is not an appeal to "supernatural" mechanisms - since it can be said about a car.

The reason I use the term "God" to describe this required agent is because the organization at the heart of life is orders of magnitude beyond any organizations man is capable of.  From this observation it follows that the level of intelligence required would also be orders of magnitude higher.  This is consistent with the commonly accepted characteristics of what we have come to describe as "God".  I'm not appealing to "magic" or "superstition".

why would one expect the universe to be based on "lawful regularity" from a naturalist POV - except for the fact that it already is observed to be?

Actually, "it is already observed to be" is good enough. "We don't know" is also an option.

Hmm... I don't know who said this, but it seems somehow apropos:                  
BTW, you still don't seem to grasp the problem entailed in "predicting" events that have already occurred.

Bill, you once said this:              
Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Nov. 17 2008,16:50)

You're too clever for your own good, Daniel, and you've been bilked by your own argument.

To see this, describe to us the empirical predictions and resulting research that arise uniquely from your position, motivating empirical investigation that would otherwise not have been pursued.

(Long silence.)

That's right. There are none. No unique empirical predictions arise from your position. "The one thing that would falsify my argument would be if the major systems present within life can be shown to have a plausible natural origin" describes research efforts already ongoing from the perspective of methodological naturalism. Your model contributes nothing - can contribute nothing - to that empirical work.

Ergo, your postulate is scientifically empty.

(Not to mention that "end of history" thing vis your "empirical test.")

Let me try to use an analogy that will (perhaps) better illustrate my argument:

Say we found, on Mars, a group of rocks organized in a similar fashion to Stonehenge.  There are two possible explanations.  
This organization was a result of:
1) natural forces.
2) intelligent agency.

So let's say scientists are divided into two camps with each camp embracing one of the two theories.
How would the empirical research be different in pursuit of these two theories?  The 'natural forces' people would be looking for positive evidence for natural forces and negative evidence for intelligence, while the 'intelligent agency' people would be looking for negative evidence of natural forces and positive evidence of intelligence.  But, (and here's the key Bill), their empirical research would be the same - only their predictions would be different.

To illustrate; which camp would be looking for chisel marks?  The answer is that it could be either camp - one would be expecting to find them, the other would not expect to find any.  

Which camp would spend most of their effort looking at natural mechanisms?  The answer again would be "both".  Since it is already understood that intelligent agency could form such a structure, most of the research by the 'intelligent agency' camp would be focused on disproving the 'natural forces' argument.  Again, their empirical research would be the same - only their predictions would be different.

So, this argument of yours is another in a growing list of strawmen Bill.  Any theories about life will be looking at the same evidence and testing it in similar fashion - only the predictions will be different.

--------------
"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted as true is really true, there would be little hope of advance."  Orville Wright

"The presence or absence of a creative super-intelligence is unequivocally a scientific question."  Richard Dawkins

Daniel Smith

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 23 2008,18:08   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Nov. 22 2008,13:49)

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 22 2008,13:59)

Second, I am not making predictions of order, organization and complexity based on what I see in nature (this is what your side does).  I am making those predictions based on what I see rational human beings doing.  From a Christian perspective - where man is made "in the image of God" - I'd expect man to be something like God.  Man's creations are often complex, orderly, organized and beautiful, therefore I'd expect God's creations to be the same - only orders of magnitude more advanced.

This is obviously a religious, not a scientific, assertion. As I think I said once before, I appreciate that you are up front about it, in contrast with the dishonest indirection employed by the (now utterly defunct) ID movement.

It is based on religion yes - but it can be empirically falsified.  So it's a scientific prediction based on religious beliefs.

I thought I should join the scrum.

I'm with RB; that's a religious assertion. It presupposes the existence of God, and so far, you've been unable to provide any objective evidence for that presupposition, which is necessary for your assertion. On the contrary, there is plenty of evidence for chance, necessity, and contingency.

As Laplace said to Napoleon, re God - "I have no need for that hypothesis".  And you have no evidence for it.

Carry on.

I'm asserting that life is the result of intelligent agency.  We do have evidence of intelligent agency.  We also have evidence that life is so constructed as to preclude chance, necessity, and contingency as mechanisms - just as are cars, computers, and paintings.  

The evidence (in both cases) is as plain as the nose on your face.

--------------
"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted as true is really true, there would be little hope of advance."  Orville Wright

"The presence or absence of a creative super-intelligence is unequivocally a scientific question."  Richard Dawkins

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 23 2008,18:17   

So, this argument of yours is another in a growing list of strawmen Bill.  Any theories about life will be looking at the same evidence and testing it in similar fashion - only the predictions will be different.

What are they then, these predictions, and when will we know the results? I.E When will what is predicted come to pass/be tested?

At the end of time? Restaurant at the end of the universe?

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 23 2008,18:18   

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 23 2008,18:08)
We also have evidence that life is so constructed as to preclude chance, necessity, and contingency as mechanisms - just as are cars, computers, and paintings

Do we? You have actual positive evidence of this? Please do show it.....

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 23 2008,18:45   

The only reason you're predicting that it would happen elsewhere is because life already exists on this planet.  It's not something you would predict if you knew nothing of life.

You do realize this statement makes no sense at all?

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

That's so fucking stupid it merits a wing in the museum of stupid. -midwifetoad

Frequency is just the plural of wavelength...
-JoeG

Wolfhound

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 23 2008,19:16   

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 23 2008,18:02)
I guess you automatically hear "supernatural" when someone says "God".                    

LOL!!!!!

--------------
I've found my personality to be an effective form of birth control.

Daniel Smith

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 23 2008,19:16   

Quote (Henry J @ Nov. 22 2008,19:23)

Life is sometimes messy, yes. Matching heirarchies are expected when inter-species DNA transfer is not significant. If life was engineered they wouldn't be expected at all.

If life was engineered to evolve from a universal genome, such would indeed be expected.

Variations are caused by mutation, DNA swapping, recombination, plus some other processes, plus differential success of some variations over others, when these processes are repeated over huge numbers of generations, can cause adaptations that sometimes develop into new traits.

Can you name one trait for which you can say that science has a good handle on how evolution formed it?

It's a case of scientists trying to understand what is there; of course they're not going to predict the existence of the thing that they're studying; if it wasn't there already they wouldn't be studying it in the first place. Sheesh.

If such wasn't already known, it's formation might not be predictable. How is that supposed to reduce confidence in any of the conclusions that scientists have reached?

I'm asking how a natural mechanism build complex organization.  Your answer seems to be "I don't know - but it could".

That would depend on how much detail one insists on being given; those who dislike the conclusions can always fall back on demanding an unrealistic level of detail.

Define "an unrealistic level of detail" please.  When does detail become too much to ask?

Besides which, the alleged "alternatives" haven't provided a detailed explanation for anything - "designed" isn't an explanation; it's a claim that some agency was responsible. That by itself doesn't even contradict current theory until at least some detail is provided about either the designer(s), his/her/its/their motives, the engineer(s) that implemented it, the methods used, the limitations of those methods, the materials used, the timetable, the goal, or preferably some combination of those.

None of that is required to deduce that something is designed.  All that is required is a level of organization that is beyond the capabilities of nature.  We could go to another planet and - knowing nothing of "the designer(s), his/her/its/their motives, the engineer(s) that implemented it, the methods used, the limitations of those methods, the materials used, the timetable, the goal, or preferably some combination of those", could deduce design from an artifact if it was organized beyond the capabilities of nature.  Strawman.

Well, then go find a significant proto-organ that preceeded a later functional organ, without ever having been of any use. Preferably (for your model, that is) one that isn't visibly related to something else.
 Schindewolf showed that horses began developing toes more fit for the plains before their environment changed.  Berg showed that some transplanted cattle adopted the size, shape and coloring of local cattle - quickly.  There is research showing that transplanted finches changed beak shapes within 25 years.  There are other examples.  None of these show a proto-organ which was of no use, but they show that rapid evolutionary change from one state to another does not require mutations and long time frames.  IOW, adaptations are "waiting in the wings".

That's more contingent than accident. For predators that hunt in packs, some shapes work better for that than other shapes, so variations closer to those shapes are likely to accumulate. At this point, evolution would predict convergence of outward shape of separate species engaging in very similar lifestyles (i.e., in equavalent niches). Ergo, current theory explains (it can't predict something that's already known) that some marsupials developed shapes similar to those of some placentals. (Cetacians and fish are another analogous example of the same principle.)

I'm not convinced.

Your conclusion doesn't follow. Migrations can happen without need of being planned, indeed a world with no migrations would be even more in need of explanation than one with them. Also, establishing that something was planned requires details about agency, motive, method, timetable, etc.

Who said anything about migrations?

What the heck does "types were advantageous" mean? Per current theory, species proliferate as niches (lifestyles) become available. If a whole bunch of dominant species die out, those niches are then available to whatever is still around that's able to use them. So again, establishing any "planning" behind that requires some details that are actually explained by the premise that the thing was planned.

Do you realize how easily all multicellular life could have been wiped out by either rapid environmental changes or imbalance in nature?  Why hasn't one type of organisms taken over the world?  Why haven't we ended up back at square one - ever?  The fact that life always seem to have just the right combination to flourish and maintain balance on this planet is evidence of planning.

Yes. A feature that is necessary for survival had to have evolved from something that didn't used to be essential; that follows from the current theory.

"Had to have"?  Are you admitting that an essential feature cannot evolve?

Please read the entire sentence to which you are responding.

I did.  You said "A feature that is necessary for survival had to have evolved from something that didn't used to be essential", implying that once a feature is "necessary" it will not evolve any more.  "Had to have" is the key.  Necessary features "had to have" evolved from unnecessary ones.  Necessary features then, are a dead end for evolution - hence they cannot evolve anymore.

you: * Mathematical patterns useful for information integrity and transmission will be found in the genetic code.

me: Could be, but without something more specific than that, I don't think it can be distinguished from current theory.

you: Why would the current theory predict any of this - other than that it's already known to exist?

Your "answer" does not address what was said.

Why would the current theory predict that mathematical patterns useful for information integrity and transmission would be found?

Overlooking that "repeating patterns of evlution" is by itself too vague to mean anything, current theory is not based on "accidental mechanisms". Mutations and recombinations (among other things) continuously increase variety; selection processes remove the less successful of those varieties. Mutations are individually random, but there's a huge number of them every generation in any large population, so aside from genetic drift the result is contingent, which is neither random nor accidental. (Besides, "accident" usually means an unplanned result of a planned action, which doesn't apply to events that weren't planned to start with.)

The problem is that - unless each mutation in itself is useful and selected - you're having to wait for the correct combination of mutations to occur.  It's still random until you've got something advantageous to select.
It used to be thought that was easy.  It's not.

Efficiency - saves space.  Integrity - multiple uses of the same section of coding insures retention of that code.  Ability - most human designers would do this but probably can't figure out how - it is extremely difficult - God doesn't have that trouble.  Now explain again, why would natural forces be predicted to come up with this?

One can't predict what has already been observed. Although, if saving space was the criteria, seems like our genome could be a lot smaller. Multiple use - if it works adequately, natural selection would retain it. Multiple uses of a section would seem to discourage furthur evolution of that section even if changing one of the uses would be advantageous due to some environmental change; seems like that could be either advantageous or detrimental depending on circumstance.  
If it's truly preparatory, it would be retained, if it's a leftover, it could mutate into anything.  The truth is we have no idea which explanation applies to which sequence.

No, if there's a mechanism present to preserve it, it would be retained. The only mechanism presently known to preserve over geologic time scales is natural selection, and that only works on sequences that are expressed and which make a difference to reproductive success of the species.

Which is why it is incapable of accounting for most evolution.  Show me a pathway for the evolution of any feature where every intermediate step is advantageous for reproduction.

you: * Frame shifting will be found to be a more common mechanism for sudden evolutionary change than previously thought.

Me: Why? How does that follow logically from the premise that the DNA was deliberately engineered?

You: It follows from A) embedded coding and B) preparatory coding.

No, that doesn't logically follow. Something doing preparatory coding might use that method, although an explicit on/off switch would probably be safer. Course, all of this "preparatory" stuff depends on having something in there to preserve DNA that isn't as yet expressed. If a mechanism of that sort were present in cells, seems to me it should have been found already, while scientists were studying the mechanisms that they have found.

Prescribed evolution posits that genome reshuffling is the basis of evolution (see Dr. John Davison's papers).  From that it follows that genomes will be a lot like shuffled decks of cards which then modified themselves for new features.  Saltational evolution.

Reshuffling? Such as genes getting moved around on a chromosome, or from one chromosome to another, or chromosomes getting split or fused together? Events of those sorts are types of mutations. That doesn't imply what I guess you mean by "saltational". As for "modified themselves for new features", that looks to me like a poetic way of saying "repeated cycles of variation plus selection producing adaptations". As for seeing Dr. John Davison's papers, no thank you. I've looked at his "manifesto" before; lots of assumptions, little support for them.

My argument is based on God's intelligence - NOT his supernatural powers.

I'm not sure how one can separate those two. Intelligence by itself can't do anything; some method of manipulation is necessary as well. But that aside, the premise that an intelligent God is responsible for the universe doesn't in itself say that evolution (or abiogenesis for that matter) didn't proceed via natural processes. You're throwing in an ad-hoc assumption that God wouldn't do things the way science is concluding that they happened. (By ad-hoc, I mean it doesn't follow from the primary assumption.) Ergo, your argument is not based on God's anything; it's based on your assumption that evolution science is somehow wrong in some basic way.

In addition, if "preparatory coding" doesn't involve supernatural something, then it requires so far undetected natural mechanism for the preservation of the coding, which is itself also so far undetected. A mechanism that could do that should have left traces that should have been noticed already, if it existed.

Not to mention (although I have probably mentioned it above) that the front loading hypothesis does not explain the prevalence of matching nested heirarchies. In the simplest interpretation of front loading, species would grab whichever unexpressed feature would best suit their current situation. So to reconcile that with the observed hierarchies, it would also be necessary to posit some rather complex mechanism to prevent species from going outside thier "intended" phylogenic group when activating one of those stored sections of code.

Scientists do have an aversion to positing a bunch of thus far unobserved mechanisms in the absence of a problem that would be solved by that positing, or a prediction from other theories that those mechanisms should be there (a.k.a. Occam's razor).

Henry

The truth is the current theory is powerless when it comes to explaining how any feature evolved - except in the most general sense.  It's like the face on Mars only in reverse: organisms look as if they evolved via accidents and selection from a distance, but get closer and the appearance of accidental evolution fades away.  So, even though science is not really searching for other mechanisms involved in evolution, the evidence is forcing them to consider such things.  Darwin's theory has already been falsified - since it relied on minute variations - and now we are learning that much larger, dare I say "saltational" mechanisms are in play.  It's only a matter of time before science finds how it all ties together (and it won't be random).

--------------

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 23 2008,19:33   

I'm not convinced.

I guess that settles it.

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

-JoeG

Reed

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 23 2008,19:39   

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 23 2008,17:16)

Quote (Henry J @ Nov. 22 2008,19:23)

Life is sometimes messy, yes. Matching heirarchies are expected when inter-species DNA transfer is not significant. If life was engineered they wouldn't be expected at all.

If life was engineered to evolve from a universal genome, such would indeed be expected.

So your claim is basically that there was one genome at the start, which was programmed to become all the diverse life we see ?

Do you claim that the mechanism by which this happens is subject to rational inquiry ? That is, if we examined the original, would we be able to see the complete plan for every past and present animal, or does it rely on God zapping various creatures gametes with apparently random phenomena like cosmic rays ?

Can you name one trait for which you can say that science has a good handle on how evolution formed it?

If you are going to claim an entire science is wrong, you should make some tiny effort to educate yourself. There are literally thousands of papers on this very subject.

edit:
typos!

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 23 2008,19:49   

what a dumbass.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 23 2008,20:45   

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 23 2008,18:08)

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Nov. 22 2008,13:49)

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 22 2008,13:59)

Second, I am not making predictions of order, organization and complexity based on what I see in nature (this is what your side does).  I am making those predictions based on what I see rational human beings doing.  From a Christian perspective - where man is made "in the image of God" - I'd expect man to be something like God.  Man's creations are often complex, orderly, organized and beautiful, therefore I'd expect God's creations to be the same - only orders of magnitude more advanced.

This is obviously a religious, not a scientific, assertion. As I think I said once before, I appreciate that you are up front about it, in contrast with the dishonest indirection employed by the (now utterly defunct) ID movement.

It is based on religion yes - but it can be empirically falsified.  So it's a scientific prediction based on religious beliefs.

I thought I should join the scrum.

I'm with RB; that's a religious assertion. It presupposes the existence of God, and so far, you've been unable to provide any objective evidence for that presupposition, which is necessary for your assertion. On the contrary, there is plenty of evidence for chance, necessity, and contingency.

As Laplace said to Napoleon, re God - "I have no need for that hypothesis".  And you have no evidence for it.

Carry on.

I'm asserting that life is the result of intelligent agency.  We do have evidence of intelligent agency.  We also have evidence that life is so constructed as to preclude chance, necessity, and contingency as mechanisms - just as are cars, computers, and paintings.  

And I'm asserting that you have a circular argument, with no evidence for intelligent agency that can produce the diversity of life on earth. You are essentially saying that design  (observation) requires a designer. This hypothesis is not supported by any experiments, but only by the repeated assertion that design requires a designer. That's not an argument; it is an analogy from your human perspective. In other words, I am asserting that you are not made in the image of your god, but that you have made your god in your image. And you have no objective evidence to the contrary.
The evidence (in both cases) is as plain as the nose on your face.

Yet you cannot point to any objective evidence for that assertion. Without evidence, and in the face of overwhelming evidence that chance, necessity and contingency do occur and can generate plausible explanations for the diversity of life on earth, you have no argument; you only have faith in your idiosyncratic notion of a deity.

Think about this quote from David Hume, which destroyed your argument before your great grandparents were even born.  
While we argue from the course of nature and infer a particular intelligent cause, which first bestowed, and still preserves order in the universe, we embrace a principle which is both uncertain and useless. It is uncertain because the subject lies entirely beyond the reach of human experience. It is useless, because our knowledge of this cause being entirely derived from the course of nature, we can never, according to the rules of just reasoning, return back from the cause with any new inference, or making addition to the common and experienced course of nature, establish any new principles of conduct and behavior.

Uncertain and useless. As plain as the nose on your face.

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 23 2008,20:46   

Define "an unrealistic level of detail" please.  When does detail become too much to ask?

It's unrealistic to claim that validity of a theory depends on knowing an exact sequence of events, not when there are distinct patterns expected if the theory is correct but not expected otherwise.

None of that is required to deduce that something is designed.  All that is required is a level of organization that is beyond the capabilities of nature.

People do not know a priori what the capabilities of nature are. The relevant mechanisms have to be discovered and understood before that can be determined.

IOW, adaptations are "waiting in the wings".

But is that the case more often than would be expected from chance?

Schindewolf showed that horses began developing toes more fit for the plains before their environment changed.

Is that referring to reduction in the number of distinct toes? That's not convincing evidence that something engineered it for the sake of the horses.

I'm not convinced.

Now, that I'll agree with.

Who said anything about migrations?

Oh. You referred to conditions changing around them while they stayed in the same area, rather than migrating to an area with different conditions.

Why hasn't one type of organisms taken over the world?

I don't see the point. For one thing, the world consists of huge number of different environments - one type would not be adapted to more than a little of it. For another, the majority of types depend on other types for some of their needs, especially food.

The fact that life always seem to have just the right combination to flourish and maintain balance on this planet is evidence of planning.

Just the right combination? Seems more likely that life has survived as long as it has mostly because it exists in a huge variety. That's not evidence that it was engineered.

I did.  You said "A feature that is necessary for survival had to have evolved from something that didn't used to be essential", implying that once a feature is "necessary" it will not evolve any more.  "Had to have" is the key.  Necessary features "had to have" evolved from unnecessary ones.  Necessary features then, are a dead end for evolution - hence they cannot evolve anymore.

What I said did not imply that the necessary feature would cease evolving. The point was that the now essential feature evolved from something that was previously not essential. Or in some cases a nonessential might become so simply because the species loses the ability to do without it.

Why would the current theory predict that mathematical patterns useful for information integrity and transmission would be found?

I'm not entirely sure what that means; if I'm following it correctly, it don't think the current theory would necessitate that such a strategy would be used, but probably wouldn't rule it out. Otoh, I don't think that "life was engineered" answers that question, either - an engineer might or might not employ that sort of strategy.

The problem is that - unless each mutation in itself is useful and selected - you're having to wait for the correct combination of mutations to occur.  It's still random until you've got something advantageous to select.

If there were only one combination of mutations that would save the species, it probably wouldn't occur. Evolution doesn't wait for a particular "correct combination", it operates on all the combinations that have been produced by mutations or recombinations.

Which is why it is incapable of accounting for most evolution.  Show me a pathway for the evolution of any feature where every intermediate step is advantageous for reproduction.

Start with light sensitive cells on skin, which can tell day from night.
Form depression in skin where the cells are located; that provides some directionality.
Deepend the depression; that improves the directionality.
Make the depression into a cavity with a hole; that improves it still more.
Make the cavity spherical; direction to other objects can be accessed more accurately.
Put the whole thing on a movable stalk; direction of scan can be changed easily.
Add a lens; image becomes sharper.
Have two of these structures; estimates of distance become more accurate.
Make the size of the opening variable; changes in light level become easier to handle.

Some of those could occur in different orders.

The truth is the current theory is powerless when it comes to explaining how any feature evolved - except in the most general sense.

Scientists can sometimes figure out the relative order of changes from a previous system to a later one (of course, they can do it in more detail than I did above). That establishes that the change is consistent with known processes.

I'm not sure how you can complain about "explaining in only the most general sense" when the alleged alternative doesn't explain anything. The reason the theory is held to by scientists is for the patterns that it explains directly (prevalence of nested hierarchies, geographic distribution of species, fossil series, ring species, etc.). Those patterns are the evidence for the theory, so serious attempts at refutation have to address those, not the lack of mutation by mutation account of how a particular lineage got where it is now.

Henry

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 23 2008,21:01   

Not trying to short circuit a provocative discussion, but the observed fact of extinction -- millions of times over -- pretty much rules out the notion that genomes contain everything necessary for adaptation to future needs.

What we have here is preformationism wrapped in modern jargon.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 23 2008,21:03   

Quote (midwifetoad @ Nov. 23 2008,22:01)
Not trying to short circuit a provocative discussion, but the observed fact of extinction -- millions of times over -- pretty much rules out the notion that genomes contain everything necessary for adaptation to future needs.

AKA: Serious Tard

--------------

-JoeG

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 23 2008,21:43   

Quote (midwifetoad @ Nov. 23 2008,21:01)

Maybe Daniel's god didn't want those species around anymore because they were naughty?

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 23 2008,21:49   

From the BBC (where it's tomorrow already):

On This Day

1859: Charles Darwin's 'On the Origin of Species' is published, creating a sensation across the academic world.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 23 2008,22:15   

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 23 2008,19:02)

Hahahaha!

Jesus fucking Christ, Daniel. I guess I have to retract admiration of your honesty vis God as designer. You appear to be slipping into the same state of dishonest corruption that has characterized the ID movement for years.

At any rate, I don't have the stomach for untangling your nonsense this evening. Another time.
...this argument of yours is another in a growing list of strawmen Bill.

I AM very interested in this list of Strawmen Bills. How many are there? Are they all really named Bill? Who's keeping a list?

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Reed

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 23 2008,22:24   

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 23 2008,17:16)
Do you realize how easily all multicellular life could have been wiped out by either rapid environmental changes or imbalance in nature?

Life is adaptable. This is a well observed fact. To wipe out everything, you have to change every environment on the planet, beyond the range that ALL of it's inhabitants can reproduce in, more rapidly than they can adapt to. There are relatively few phenomena that can do that to something the size of an entire planet, but we've come pretty close a number of times.

Wow. That's astonishingly dumb, even for you.

Please stop and think about that for a second. You should be able to see why it is utterly, mindbogglingly clueless. Here are some hints:
- Is the global environment uniform ?
- Is it static ?
- Are the species that make up certain ecosystems isolated from other similar ecosystems ?
- How frequently are mutations observed to occur ?
- Does the fitness of an organism in an ecosystem depend on the other organisms present ?
- Is an adaptation that is beneficial in one environment potentially disadvantageous in others ?

Why haven't we ended up back at square one - ever?  The fact that life always seem to have just the right combination to flourish and maintain balance on this planet is evidence of planning.

More than 99% of species that ever existed are extinct. How is that "just the right combination" ? How about 60+% of living species dying off in a single event ? That's flourishing and maintaining balance ?

How about radical changes in the chemistry of the envronment ? How is that maintaining balance ?

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 23 2008,22:53   

Quote (khan @ Nov. 23 2008,21:03)
Quote (midwifetoad @ Nov. 23 2008,22:01)

AKA: Serious Tard

I don't think so.  

He's not serious at all.

He is an old troll with old arguments and a new name.  The great thing about rejecting empiricism is that you can make any fucking claim you can make up.  

Just like an avatar.  

paging John Bean...

you ain't half the man you claim to be

--------------

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 23 2008,22:57   

and if he is serious then at least he is eloquent in the explication of just how ignorant he is.  it is apparent to all that if this charade is in earnest, it is a living breathing testimony to the cruel narrow bindings of Daniel's epistemological blinkers.  

These rose colored glasses
that I'm looking through
Show only the good things
cause they hide... all the truth

--------------

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 24 2008,00:52   

Wow. That's astonishingly dumb, even for you.

I actually couldn't find this at the Index to Creationist Claims.

Either I'm not searching correctly or this is an argument so dumb and ignorant that even creationists tend to avoid it.

Edited by stevestory on Nov. 24 2008,01:54

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 24 2008,03:10   

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 23 2008,19:16)

The truth is the current theory is powerless when it comes to explaining how any feature evolved - except in the most general sense.

From PT:

Organelles such as the chloroplast and mitochondria arose by endosymbiotic events. What we see with xD amoeba are the early stages of another such event. The xD strain is dependent on the endosymbiont, much as plant cells depend on chloroplasts, and eukaryotic cells on mitochondria. Moreover, as is the case with more recognizable organelles, gene expression and cellular physiology in the xD strain have become interdependent, such that endosymbiont and nucleus communicate and control expression and metabolism. This system is arguably the beginnings of the evolution of a new organelle, something that would be tantamount to the origination of a new kingdom.* By any reasonable measure, what Jeon and his coworkers have been studying is an example of macroevolution. His system stands out as a refutation (NOT the only one, but merely one interesting example of what are likely many) of this oft-repeated (and erroneous) ID claim, that macroevolution has not been, and cannot be, observed or studied.

http://pandasthumb.org/archives/2008/11/is-macroevoluti.html#more
Is observed macroevolution any good Daniel?  :D

--------------
FTK

Gordon Mullings

Wolfhound

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 24 2008,05:48   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Nov. 23 2008,22:15)
Quote (Daniel Smith @ Nov. 23 2008,19:02)

Hahahaha!

Jesus fucking Christ, Daniel. I guess I have to retract admiration of your honesty vis God as designer. You appear to be slipping into the same state of dishonest corruption that has characterized the ID movement for years.

Yeah, I hear "grey cartoon rabbit" when someone says "Bugs Bunny".  Weird, huh?   :D

--------------
I've found my personality to be an effective form of birth control.

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 24 2008,06:14   

Daniel sez,
I guess you automatically hear "supernatural" when someone says "God".  The only statement you listed that would qualify as an appeal to supernatural mechanism would be this one (which was just a way of saying "I don't know" for me):  

The rest are not appeals to supernatural mechanisms - they are appeals to an intelligent basis for nature, (and my label for that intelligence just happens to be "God").

Listen carefully Bill:  Pointing out that intricate organization which is so far beyond the capabilities of nature that it requires intelligent agency is not an appeal to "supernatural" mechanisms - since it can be said about a car.

The reason I use the term "God" to describe this required agent is because the organization at the heart of life is orders of magnitude beyond any organizations man is capable of.  From this observation it follows that the level of intelligence required would also be orders of magnitude higher.  This is consistent with the commonly accepted characteristics of what we have come to describe as "God".  I'm not appealing to "magic" or "superstition".

Say we found, on Mars, a group of rocks organized in a similar fashion to Stonehenge.

Let's take the bull by the horns. I only have about 15 minutes, so this will have to be a sketch.

In these passages you repeat the very, very tired analogy to human intelligence and agency as though human intelligence emerges out of thin air, from a non-natural and non-physical netherworld. This is, of course, is O'leary and Beauregard's explicit assertion regarding neuroscience. The actions of the designer, you then assert, are analogous to human intelligence and agency, and life analogous to the products of human intelligence, agency, and design prowess (Stonehenge, cars, computers, paintings, watches, etc.)

What this misses is that human intelligence, agency and design activities have long and complex histories with which we are very familiar, and are dependent upon cultural and biological features that are, indeed, as plain as the brain on your brainpan. Human intelligence doesn't emerge out of thin air; it emerges from human brains, individual human development, the long history of human cultural evolution (through the emergence of what Tomasello calls "the ratchet effect"), and ultimately human biological evolution. The explosion of human design and cultural activity authored by homo sapiens was founded upon, and was a product of, a long evolutionary history, extending back through 1.8 million years of homo erectus and even longer stretches of australopithecine activity, and the associated cultural tool kits they left behind. Human culture, intelligence and agency themselves have long histories, and in significant measure evolutionary histories, that reflect the fact that human intelligence and agency are themselves a natural and cultural hybrid.

Of course, we are each utterly immersed in and intimately familiar with the results of that history, and recognize the products of that activity quite easily. If we were to truly find something like Stonehenge on Mars then we would immediately recognize its artifactual nature and recognize it as something analogous to a product of human agency and design. What would that trigger? It would trigger a search for something similar to human agency: agency and intelligence with a grounding in the reality of organisms and brains, the invention of culture, and ultimately a long history of biological evolution analogous to that of human beings. It would trigger a search for agents like ourselves, who have histories grounded in the natural world. It would NOT trigger a search for agency and intelligence emerging out of thin air. This would be an astounding discovery, but it would also be a discovery of another instance of a natural/cultural phenomenon analogous to one with which we are intimately familiar, and which we understand to emerge from non-supernatural historical processes.

On casualty of this discovery would likely be predictions such as the following:
Because the earth, and the solar system were specifically designed for life, no life or signs of previous life will be found on any other planets within our field of exploration.

In short, to assert that "super intelligence and agency" (so superduper that we may as well call it God) emerges from the thin air (or into thin atmosphere of Mars), without a basis in such a natural history, is to assert something no less supernatural, and activities no less "miraculous," then to assert the emergence of "mechanisms" and the manipulation of matter and energy from the same nowhere.

Time's up. More anon.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 24 2008,08:21   

As Reed wrote:        
Life is adaptable. This is a well observed fact.

Right. Looking at how we find life everywhere we look on this planet ought to be evidence enough. When we consider how climate, temperatures and everything else on this planet have been undergoing constant changes as well as catastrophic events all through billions of years, without such adaptability it should not have been like that.

"That is the truth" is a very strong statement. That is the truth. It is the truth that it is bad form that reflects unfavorably on someone who uses that expression instead of just saying it like it is, like "I believe that..." which would be much closer to the truth.

In my opinion, it is true that the current theory is very powerful when it comes to explaining how features evolved, even if it does not spell out each and every step involved. We know a great deal about how nature works and do not subscribe to the distrust of nature to the level of reductionism that the writer seems to adhere to.

It is however true and a fact that from believing that everything in the world was the works of gods, observation and scientific thinking have gradually replaced faith in gods with the understanding that both the universe as well as this planet and everything on it seems to be explainable as the result of the forces of nature. We may call them 'god', but they nevertheless are what they are: miracles of nature.

We have learned the real causes of thunder and lightning, rainbows, the sun's diurnal journey across the skies, the real nature of, and the movements of planets and stars. The heavens used to be seven perfect spheres and any thought of the Earth not being at the center of the world was a deadly sin.

The simple mechanistic view of nature that lies at the bottom of the creationist view that nature somehow is dead, soulless matter that just “is”, simply is untrue. The fact is that even if we know a great deal and understand a lot, there are still all kinds of mysteries all around us. Nature is far more 'alive' and capable than creationists are able to fathom.

I believe Daniel needs to reposition himself and realize that incredulity is not grounds enough to replace the theory of evolution with 'goddidit'. It also looks as if he makes little distinction between abiogenesis and evolution. To me it seems reasonable to keep the two subjects apart. We know how evolution works and have enough evidence. We think we understand how abiogenesis is possible and how it may have worked even if we have no direct evidence.

I also am of the opinion that it would be better if religion and preaching would be kept separate from the discussion of scientific issues, even when the platform is one of incredulity.

I also hold that even if I am only a fly in Daniel's ointment, he will have to suffer my presence here. I understand science much better than he does, and when it comes to religion I don't think he ever will reach my level.  

I have quoted Professor  Robert B. Laughlin before, and I think perhaps it might do Daniel good to read “A Different Universe":        
The idea that the struggle to understand the natural world has come to an end is not only wrong, it is ludicrously wrong. We are surrounded by mysterious physical miracles, and the continuing, unfinished task of science is to unravel them... In passing into the age of emergence we learn to accept common sense, leave behind the practice of trivializing the organizational wonders of  nature, and accept that organization is important in and of itself – in some cases even the most important thing.

Will we find, when unraveling more of the yet to be unraveled physical miracles that they are caused by God, or will we learn more about the wonders of nature?

Allright, I can't tell Daniel anything about the Krebs cycle and things like that but even so I think maybe words of wisdom is more like what he really need even if he doesn't understand that.

I do not see myself as part of the discussion between Daniel and science; I am an outsider looking at what I perceive as an absurd debate. It migh be better if Daniel would stop telling science how he thinks it is; there lies 150 years of science behind the current theory and it is rather unlikely that he should know better. All he can ask and hope for is that science eventually may help him to a better understanding.

He won't get an answer to his problem with God's place in the picture from science. The question of God is a question about spirit and not about the physical world. That is the lesson history has taught us.

The problem with monotheism is that it has equated the spirit in our soul we have named 'God' with whatever caused the origins of the universe and the physical world as we know it.

Do I detect a condescending tone?        
Listen carefully Bill:  Pointing out that intricate organization which is so far beyond the capabilities of nature that it requires intelligent agency

So you say – but I believe I already have addressed just that unfounded assertion.

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 24 2008,08:35   

oh quack you are far too charitable and reasonable.

of course if daniel is sincere, then perhaps you are correct.

but i don't see any reason to believe that he is so.  this after observing his behavior and exchanges over a year or so.  

he is just making shit up now.  badly.

--------------

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 24 2008,13:05   

Quote (Erasmus, FCD @ Nov. 24 2008,07:35)
of course if daniel is sincere, then perhaps you are correct.

but i don't see any reason to believe that he is so.

You think he might only be pretending to think that 100,000 scientists have spent decades clinging to unsupported conclusions, while somehow making it look to employers, students, colleagues, peers, etc. as if their conclusions were valid?

Henry

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 24 2008,14:19   

no henry i am quite sure that he is a science denier in full drag.

i am not sure that he is sincere about supporting his arguments or even giving a flying damn about facts.  in short, he is just trolling here like he always has here and elsewhere, except now he is "Daniel Smith".

--------------

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 24 2008,14:20   

Work: I has it.

Have I missed anything good?

Louis

--------------
Bye.

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 24 2008,14:32   

Quote (Louis @ Nov. 24 2008,12:20)
Work: I has it.

Have I missed anything good?

Louis

Just the usual.  Horseboy is off boinking your mother, and Arden is watching.

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

19967 replies since Jan. 17 2006,08:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (666) < ... 312 313 314 315 316 [317] 318 319 320 321 322 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]