RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (12) < ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 >   
  Topic: GoP defends his claim about muslim intergration, Rebuttal as appropriate< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2006,15:34   

OK, it's late, I've been working pretty hard, and I haven't had anything to eat. So let me take this a little at a time. I hope that Louis & the lurkers will actually make the effort to re-read the last few pages of this thread, so I don't have to redocument every blessed thing. If Louis doubts anything, I will be more than happy to supply the proof.

Louis:

GoP,

As I said, an honest quoting of the stats from the UK govt website will show you that you claim is false. Since I am now back at the PC with the doc on it, and since I can spare a few minutes here we go:

Already we're off to an interesting start. Louis is asserting that my quotations are dishonest, which implies that he's going to reveal stats I didn't quote, or that I hid. Let's see how he supports this.

Prison Population

Pages 121 onwards are relevant. Note for example (one of many) that the "south asian" category has increased at roughly the same rate as the "white" category. Or that in violent and sexual crimes the "south asian category" is the smallest. Or that the "south asian" category is less (or in some cases equally at worst) represented than the "black" category in prison pop.

But I thought we were discussing the Muslim category. Why are you using ethnic proxies, especially ones that spread the Muslim population into several categories, while grouping Muslims with non-Muslims in others ("South Asians", for example)? The relevant pie-chart (figure 7.2, page 129) shows that Muslims are 8% of the prison population, just like I claimed. And before you argue that this is tremendously inflated by immigration violations and such, please note that the Muslim criminal conviction rate is still over 7% (Table 7.6, p.137) and that they are overrepresented in the "serious sentences" category (7.4% of lifers, 13.8% of between 10 years and less than life). In other words, when the relevant categories are considered, my point still stands.

But this is your document, not mine. It's up to you to wade through it.

Or page 127 onwards might grab your eye. Muslims make up only 8% of the total prison population yet are the largest single religious group after christians in the general populace. Or that buddhists, even though a tiny minority, have tripled in the prison population as have people with no religion where muslims have merely doubled.

Umm, Louis, Muslims don't make up 8% of the general population -- around 2.7%, as a matter of fact. I believe I already quoted this figure to you. So who cares if they're the "the largest single religious group after christians in the general populace"? Their prison proportion are about 2.5 times their general proportion, even if we use the conservative 7% figure. I believe I cited this figure as well.

Enough of that.

Yes, a good man knows when to cut his losses and move on.  :D

More later.

--------------
Dey can't 'andle my riddim.

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2006,17:33   

And there are an estimated 15,000 *white* converts to Islam alone in GB. And an unknown number of non-whites. So...how many actual immigrant Muslims comprise that 8% of the prison population? And why is it that you're still using the standard GoP attempts to antagonize? Oh, yeah, as I noted in your LUCA thread, it's not an act, it's your tender little ego needing validation.
I'll bet you were the one posting up the photos of wrestlers and such...do you bodybuild, too, and admire yourself in the mirror?

--------------
AtBC Award for Thoroughness in the Face of Creationism

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 16 2006,22:33   

Gippy,

I think I made the point that although muslims make up more of the prison population than their representation in the general public would acount for, other groups do so to a greater extent.

Nice dishonest quoting of ME let alone the stats.

The point about you dishonestly quoting the stats is very simple. You have picked things which you think support your case and omitted things that don't. Since I have no case (as I stated right at the outset of this thread) it doesn't matter to me one way or the other, I am free to quote everything. As I said at the start it might turn out that muslims are worse than all other immigrant groups, but that I seriously doubt it.

My major point is (and has always been) nothing more controversial than your blanket treatment of muslims (or any group) is erroneous, which let's be honest it blatantly is from even a cursory reading of the above stats. I don't need to deny problems with immigrant populations because I know they are there, the agenda is YOURS (i.e. muslim=unintegrable) not mine. Your agenda relies on media scare stories and hyperbole and ignores the vast majority of people immigrant or otherwise.

My minor point is that you can only ever support such a view by distorting the facts, selective reporting and hyperbolic rhetorical nonsense. Posting articles about how debates rage over veils, or how in Windsor nasty things happen doesn't butter any parsnips. Yes there are problems it's ridiculous to deny there are problems, but these are problems from a wide variety of sources and any remote understanding of history (very recent in some cases) shows that immigrant populations before  muslims had similar if not exactly the same problems. The point is that you have done nothing to support your original claim which was that muslims are worse than other groups. The stats show that by and large they are not worse than other groups. This is not the same thing as there being no conflicts at all.

With the prison population thing you are deliberately and dishonestly ignoring the point I am making very clearly which is simply that if we go by proportion of general population vs proportion of general population south asians (of which the majority of British muslims are a subset, look at the other stats) are better off that Afro-Carribeans (for example). If we go by religious leanings then muslims are better off than people with no religion. However, the minute you correlate those data with poverty, education etc you find that the correlation between these factors is more significant that religion. Look at that big old document that frightens you so much, you'll find social groupings in there too.

Nice try, pity you failed.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2006,07:05   

I think I made the point that although muslims make up more of the prison population than their representation in the general public would acount for, other groups do so to a greater extent.

And.....? That would like an American open-borders advocate saying, "Ok, Hispanic illegals commit a lot of crime, but you shouldn't mind because African Americans commit even more!" Sorry, but I expect more from my immigrants. Besides, comparing one hard-to-assimilate group with another isn't the best way to make your case.

The point about you dishonestly quoting the stats is very simple. You have picked things which you think support your case and omitted things that don't.

No, I have selected the most relevant data. If the British Government didn't have religious breakdowns, then yes, we'd have to make do with geographical/ethnic proxies. The point, however, is that they do have this information, and at least according to one source, they get the religious affiliation prior to "jailhouse" conversions. So why not go with that? Yes, I'm aware that Pakistanis/Bangladeshis make up the plurality of Muslims, but apparently other Muslim ethnicities are more than making up the difference crime-wise. Here's a nice source that shows the demographic breakdown. Notice that 43% of Muslims are neither white nor South Asian.

Notice that Louis doesn't challenge a single statistic in my rebuttal.

Since I have no case (as I stated right at the outset of this thread) it doesn't matter to me one way or the other, I am free to quote everything. As I said at the start it might turn out that muslims are worse than all other immigrant groups, but that I seriously doubt it.

Maybe. I strongly suspect you're of Turkish background, which would imply a pro-Muslim bias. In any case, all I care about is your argument. You're the one who can't resist ad homs.

Notice that Louis doesn't refute any of my statistics.

My minor point is that you can only ever support such a view by distorting the facts, selective reporting and hyperbolic rhetorical nonsense. Posting articles about how debates rage over veils, or how in Windsor nasty things happen doesn't butter any parsnips. Yes there are problems it's ridiculous to deny there are problems, but these are problems from a wide variety of sources and any remote understanding of history (very recent in some cases) shows that immigrant populations before  muslims had similar if not exactly the same problems. The point is that you have done nothing to support your original claim which was that muslims are worse than other groups. The stats show that by and large they are not worse than other groups. This is not the same thing as there being no conflicts at all.

I'll let the lurkers decide this for themselves, but I notice that nobody could put a dent in my critique of the religion itself, or the history of Muslim - Christian/Hindu conflict. Nobody challenged Stephen's survey. This says something, I think.

With the prison population thing you are deliberately and dishonestly ignoring the point I am making very clearly which is simply that if we go by proportion of general population vs proportion of general population south asians (of which the majority of British muslims are a subset, look at the other stats) are better off that Afro-Carribeans (for example).

I've addressed this above, but I can't understand why you're comparing hard-to-assimilate groups. Why not compare Muslims to the average? That seems more reasonable to me.

If we go by religious leanings then muslims are better off than people with no religion. However, the minute you correlate those data with poverty, education etc you find that the correlation between these factors is more significant that religion. Look at that big old document that frightens you so much, you'll find social groupings in there too.

First, you should be comparing the Muslim prison proportion with their population proportion, not their prison proportion with other prison proportions. How do we know that the nonreligious are overrepresented to begin with? Perhaps they're underrepresented, in which case your (irrelevant) comparison is actively misleading. Second, I'm not through with the "wah, wah, they're poor so they aren't as accountable for their actions" charge. I'll deal with that later.

Nice try, pity you failed.

I'll let the reader decide.

--------------

Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2006,08:40   

Quote (BWE @ Oct. 16 2006,11:31)
Stephen Elliot:

I believe that GoP has a point here. Only talking about Britain but Muslims are not integrating.

Let me be clear, I am talking about a % of them, but it is a large % I think.

Doesn't GoP(s) also talk about blacks not integrating in the US? I think it takes a while for dis-similar cultures to assimilate. Assimilation changes both cultures. No? Radicalism/ ization at the fringes doesn't surprise me much. If you've got a good thing going, you wouldn't want to change. I wonder if there is any example of two cultures assimilating without one having large grievances of the other. It's only been in the last 50 years that anybody cared what the underdog thought at all. We used to just jail them or kill them. The world around.

So the doctrine in question is maybe "Might makes Right"??

Is that what you are lamenting GoP(s)? Do you long for the good old days of decency and sophistication where we could just lock up or lynch the rabble rousers of the poorer culture?

I have only just read this. Missed it first time around.

No, I don't believe that might makes right. Far from it. On the whole,  the only people who I would want jailed are 1)folks who offer violence to others when not defending either themselves or a victim of violence and 2)habitual criminals.

I have no desire to kill anyone, unless not doing so would likely result in the death of an innocent.

Maybe you have the impression I am some rabid anti-Islamic fanatic. I don't think I am.

What I am concerned about is that in the UK recently there seems to be mounting tension between Muslims and the rest of society. Both sides seem to feel under threat by the other, (admitedly generalising here).

It did concern me on Sept 11th 2003 when walking to work, posters had appeared all-over town celebrating the atacks on the USA 9/11 2001. I am talking about lots of posters here, almost every lamp-post railing sign-post etc had 1 or more. That must have taken a bit of organisation and manpower to do. It was worrying to think that I was living among people who could find something to celebrate in all those deaths.

Again I will stress that I believe it is only a minority of Muslims who feel that way. But that evidence indicated to me that it was still a large group.

Obviously the London suicide bombings is something that troubles me. All British born, and all hating Britain so much they where willing to die.

Then the protests in London. The fact that so many people where marching through London calling for indiscriminate death upon people over cartoons.

Surely something is wrong over here. I am not sure what. The idea that 40% of Muslims in Britain want sharia law worries me too.

The stats Louis provided OTOH are encouraging to a degree.

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2006,10:36   

Well, I have a little free time after all, so let me add that if Louis wants to start defending the South Asian subset of Muslims, then he has to explain why this group struggles academically relative to Hindus. You can't just select prison data while ignoring everything else.

Is that what you are lamenting GoP(s)? Do you long for the good old days of decency and sophistication where we could just lock up or lynch the rabble rousers of the poorer culture?

BWE, if we're going to have a real discussion, you're gonna have to pack those love beads away. We're the "niggers" now. We're the ones who face legal discrimination, we're the ones who are targeted for robbery, assault, and murder; we're the ones who are constantly stereotyped and ridiculed. The fact that we can compete anyway doesn't change that reality. After all, Jews and Asians had to overcome discrimination too.

--------------

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2006,10:44   

HAHAHA
BWE, if we're going to have a real discussion, you're gonna have to pack those love beads away. We're the "niggers" now. We're the ones who face legal discrimination, we're the ones who are targeted for robbery, assault, and murder; we're the ones who are constantly stereotyped and ridiculed. The fact that we can compete anyway doesn't change that reality. After all, Jews and Asians had to overcome discrimination too.

Oh, yeah, you're "discriminated " against. I think your love of muscley-men and the WWW atrophied your brain. Lay off the steroids or whatever you're using to try to become a man.

--------------
AtBC Award for Thoroughness in the Face of Creationism

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2006,10:48   

Oh, yeah, you're "discriminated " against. I think your love of muscley-men and the WWW atrophied your brain. Lay off the steroids or whatever you're using to try to become a man.

What is it about those pictures that upsets so many people? I'm really confused about this; apparently, I've encountered a mental blind spot. Could someone fill in the picture? (heh)

--------------

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 19 2006,03:17   

GoP,

I am making no case other than your original claim is erroneous. Stop trying to dodge.

Your claim was "muslims worse than everyone" I didn't buy it, and have shown that it's false. Your claim has been summarily refuted. Quod erat demonstratum.

If you wish to debate about the benefits and problems of immigration then that's fine, but it's a different topic. You made a specific claim, that specific claim has been comprehensively shown to be false. Is it beyond you to admit that?

Hmmm

Louis

P.S. Does anyone want to independantly adjudicate this issue? GoP made a specific claim. I assert that that that specific claim has been shown to be false and erroneous, no more no less. Any takers?

--------------
Bye.

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 19 2006,04:47   

GoP,

I am making no case other than your original claim is erroneous. Stop trying to dodge.

I'm dodging nothing. You told me to stick to "Muslims", so that's what I'm doing. You're the one who's equivocating. By the way, if you want to investigate whether or not some subsets of Muslims integrate better than others, then that's OK. But don't tell me to stick to "Muslims" and then call me dishonest when I take your advice.

Your claim was "muslims worse than everyone" I didn't buy it, and have shown that it's false. Your claim has been summarily refuted. Quod erat demonstratum.

No, my claim was that Muslims don't assimilate. I never said that you can't find groups that do even worse. Look at my stated criteria again.

If you wish to debate about the benefits and problems of immigration then that's fine, but it's a different topic. You made a specific claim, that specific claim has been comprehensively shown to be false. Is it beyond you to admit that?

You have got to be kidding. Your statistics show that Muslims are overrepresented among prisoners. Doesn't get any clearer than that.

--------------

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 19 2006,07:32   

GoP,

Oh Deary Me! Why am I lumbered explaining reasoning to someone with the IQ of room temperature yoghurt?

1) Here is the original claim YOU made:

For example, I claim that Muslims, as a group, do not assimilate as well as other groups, and in fact their culture often damages civil liberties. Is this bigotry or simply stating an unpleasant truth? You obviously think the former, but if you're right you should point to evidence (not isolated examples) that Muslims do in fact assimilate, or that we are more free to speak our minds than previously.

Bolding mine.

2) Here is where it came from:

Link to the Movie thread

A salient quote therein

Then prove it. Show me a single political claim I've made that runs contrary to the facts, and I'll happily revise it. Until then, I'll assume you're bluffing

Re-reading the section of the thread, we've been here before.

So basically, here's the challenge. Point to the political belief you think is silly and refute it, or show exactly where it's incoherent. If you do anything other than this, then I will interpret it as an inability to refute my position. No excuses accepted.

Or you can just admit you can't do it. Cause I know you can't, Panda's Thumbers know you can't, and many of the lurkers know you can't. Why not just be honest?

So there's Gippy's challenge. After some to and fro we got some definition of what Gippy was claiming:

I will focus on the Sunnis and Shi'ites (hereafter Shiites) because these two sects comprise 95 - 96% of the world's Muslim population.

and this on "integration":

By "integration", I mean:

1) No more likely to commit violent crimes as a group than the population as a whole (15 % pts above national violent crime rates at maximum) ;

2) No cries for "affirmative action";

3) Roughly proportionate representation in the intellectual occupations (doctors, lawyers, and/or scientists) without relying on 2). Yes, this implies good scores on standardised scholastic tests;

4) A culture that tolerates Western norms.

Groups that satisfy all the above conditions:

Jews, N.E. Asians, S.E. Asians (I think), Indians.

Notice that it's OK if an immigrant group beats the native population in these areas -- I'm not afraid of hypercompetitive groups. Please notice the word "tolerates" in point 4).

3) Reading the stats from my previous post we see that muslims are more represented in the prison population than in the general population. As I explained before this isn't a problem for me bevause I'm not claiming differently. However it is a problem for Gippy IF another group is even more represented in the prison population than muslims when it relates back to the presence in the general population. Non religious people are more represented by far in the prison population than are muslims, and vastly more than present in the general population. So if Gippy wishes to claim that muslims are "worse" than everyone then why aren't they "worse" than non-religious people on this criterion?

If Gippy wishes to switch tracks and claim that these stats will be hidden in studies on ethnic composition then the fact that Afro Carribean people are vastly more over-represented in the prison population compared to Asians, which is the ethnic background of most British muslims (see other links in that post).

The point is not that "muslims= great" but that Gippy's claim of "muslims = worse than every other group" is false. Get it Gippy?

As for violent crime, look at how under-represented asians/muslims are in violent crimes, much less than the white/christian majority even taking into account proportion of general population.

Do I really have to keep spelling this out for you Gippy?  You made a very specific claim. I asked you if it was a claim you would wish to defend. You said yes. I asked you to define the terms of the claim. You did. I bent over backwards to let you present the "evidence" and all I got, bar two meagre quote mined attempts at stats, was anecdotal crap and news articles about meany muslims.

But still I let you continue. I went to the UK govt stats site, after freely confessing that I knew little to nothing about this topic several times, and found the stats I posted. They by no means show a perfect picture of muslims in the UK, but then the bits that aren't perfect in almost all cases correlate more strongly with social deprivation, age, migrational history, poverty and other factors rather than religion.

The point is Gippy you made a big claim which you had every chance to redefine, take back, or modify and yet you ploughed ahead regardless. You have been hoist by your own bigotry, so eager are you to promote your pre-existing racist fantasies. This is why I keep telling you Gippy, you're fucking transparent sonny. Not only is the claim AS STATED AND DEFINED BY YOU false, but you are now resorting to equivocation to back away from it. I said right at the outset this was not a thread about the benefits/flaws of immigration,it was merely a thread about you demonstrating your claim to be true. You have not done that with all your news stories, bigotry and obfuscation because one simple set of stats show that you claim is false.

Keep whining dumbass. As I have said many many times, you fool no one. What a laughable, contemptable little clown you are.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 19 2006,10:46   

1) Here is the original claim YOU made:

For example, I claim that Muslims, as a group, do not assimilate as well as other groups, and in fact their culture often damages civil liberties. Is this bigotry or simply stating an unpleasant truth? You obviously think the former, but if you're right you should point to evidence (not isolated examples) that Muslims do in fact assimilate, or that we are more free to speak our minds than previously.

Bolding mine.

You know Louis, I'm reading that statement over and over, and yet I don't see where "other groups" translates into "all other groups". Since I've never claimed that Muslims are the only group that doesn't assimilate (quite the contrary), then why would I make an unnecessarily strong claim? In fact, the fuller definition you just gave shows that the "groups" I was referring to were Jews, N.E. Asians, and Indians. Here, let's look again:

By "integration", I mean:

1) No more likely to commit violent crimes as a group than the population as a whole (15 % pts above national violent crime rates at maximum) ;

2) No cries for "affirmative action";

3) Roughly proportionate representation in the intellectual occupations (doctors, lawyers, and/or scientists) without relying on 2). Yes, this implies good scores on standardised scholastic tests;

4) A culture that tolerates Western norms.

Groups that satisfy all the above conditions:

Jews, N.E. Asians, S.E. Asians (I think), Indians.

Notice that it's OK if an immigrant group beats the native population in these areas -- I'm not afraid of hypercompetitive groups. Please notice the word "tolerates" in point 4).

Also notice 1) which explicitly compares Muslims "as a group" to "the population as a whole". This was an attempt to give you a break, so you wouldn't have to compare the three hypercompetitive groups against Muslims -- only with the general population. And the Muslims fail even that test, because they are overrepresented in the criminal prison population, which means that the rest of the population is underrepresented!!! So your very nitpicking works agin you.

3) Reading the stats from my previous post we see that muslims are more represented in the prison population than in the general population. As I explained before this isn't a problem for me bevause I'm not claiming differently. However it is a problem for Gippy IF another group is even more represented in the prison population than muslims when it relates back to the presence in the general population. Non religious people are more represented by far in the prison population than are muslims, and vastly more than present in the general population.

As I've noted, not only is this claim false, it doesn't even make sense, as I've always argued that several different groups don't assimilate well. By the way, you never proved that the nonreligious are overrepresented in prison, so your other point fails as well.

As for violent crime, look at how under-represented asians/muslims are in violent crimes, much less than the white/christian majority even taking into account proportion of general population.

Like I said, Louis, if you want to shift the claim to, "Asian Muslims assimilate well", that's OK. I was told to focus on religion, not race, so why are you bitching because I followed directions? Geez, make up your mind, dude: I can't be a racist and race-blind at the same time.

The point is Gippy you made a big claim which you had every chance to redefine, take back, or modify and yet you ploughed ahead regardless. You have been hoist by your own bigotry, so eager are you to promote your pre-existing racist fantasies.

OK, earlier you were complaining that I was ignoring racial subcategories (a terrible thing, apparently), now you're claiming I was promoting my "pre-existing racist fantasies" during the debate. This makes no sense.

This is why I keep telling you Gippy, you're fucking transparent sonny. Not only is the claim AS STATED AND DEFINED BY YOU false, but you are now resorting to equivocation to back away from it. I said right at the outset this was not a thread about the benefits/flaws of immigration,it was merely a thread about you demonstrating your claim to be true. You have not done that with all your news stories, bigotry and obfuscation because one simple set of stats show that you claim is false.

Keep whining dumbass. As I have said many many times, you fool no one. What a laughable, contemptable little clown you are.

Louis

Wow, Louis, you must be kicking my tail, because you're behaving in such a calm, rational, self-confident manner. Too bad you can't be such a tuffy when it really counts.

--------------

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 19 2006,12:55   

Hey Louis. Do you like apples?

The Government withdrew its support from Britain’s largest Muslim organisation yesterday after accusing it of failing to lead the fight against religious extremism.
Ruth Kelly, the Communities Secretary, attacked the Muslim Council of Britain (MCB) for boycotting Holocaust Memorial Day, criticising police anti-terrorist operations and “sitting on the sidelines” in the campaign against extremists.

Muhammad Abdul Bari, the secretary-general of the MCB, was invited to hear Ms Kelly’s speech, which was delivered to a Muslim audience, but refused to attend.

Ms Kelly said that she was embarking on “a fundamental rebalancing” of the Government’s relationship with Muslim organisations.

Until now ministers have viewed the MCB, which represents 400 organisations and hundreds of mosques around the country, as the most important voice among Britain’s two million Muslims.

But Ms Kelly said that in future she would engage with and give funding to organisations that represented young Muslims and Muslim women and which were taking a “proactive leadership role in tackling extremism and defending our shared values”.

The Communities Secretary has £11 million remaining from a fund established last year to combat extremism.

Ms Kelly highlighted the MCB’s repeated refusal to participate in Holocaust Memorial Day as a serious failing which set a poor example.

She said: “There are some people who don’t feel it right to join in the commemorations of Holocaust Memorial Day even though it has helped raise awareness not just of the Jewish Holocaust, but also more contemporary atrocities like the Rwanda genocide.

“I can’t help wondering why those in leadership positions who say they want to achieve religious tolerance and a cohesive society would choose to boycott an event which marks, above all, our common human- ity and respect for each other.”

Ms Kelly also attacked groups which criticised British foreign policy as anti-Muslim and denigrated the police.

Dr Bari and the MCB have been critical of the bungled anti-terrorist raid in Forest Gate, East London, this year and have argued strongly that British policy in Iraq, Lebanon and Afghanistan has undermined security.

Ms Kelly said: “The police and security services have disrupted a number of further attacks. And we know that followers of al-Qaeda are planning others. The scale of the threat means great urgency. And this can produce mistakes.

“But these mistakes have sometimes been seized on by some to falsely suggest that the police are the enemy rather than the terrorists. They aren’t — they deserve all of our support. A serious and tough security response is inevitable for all of our safety.”

Dr Bari responded angrily to Ms Kelly’s remarks. He said the minister was making “a veiled threat” about who would qualify for funding in future.

Dr Bari added: “Every organisation has the right to apply for government funding — but agreeing with government policy should not be a criteria for receiving that money.
“For sometime now, mainstream Muslim organisations have not been consulted. We have been talked to, we have not been talked with.”

Inayat Bunglawala, assistant general of the MCB, said: “We have the sense that the Government only wants to speak to organisations that mirror its own views. It is untenable to continue to deny that Iraq and Afghanistan have not undermined our security.”

The debate about the role of British Muslims in society was further intensified by Harriet Harman in the row over the wearing of the veil. Ms Harman, a minister in the Department for Constitutional Affairs, said that the veil was “an obstacle to women’s participation, on equal terms, in society”.

She told the New Statesman: “I want women to be fully included. If you want equality, you have to be in society, not hidden away from it.”

How do you like dem apples?

--------------

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 19 2006,22:07   

Lord love a duck Gippy! I'M not making any claim. YOU are making the claim. You claimed muslims don't integrate as well as other groups. It would appear that they do. Your claim is false. End of story. The argument about the bigger picture is not the issue, as I have said.

The abuse is because I am frustrated by dealing with a goal post moving dishonest git like you Gippy. Get it yet?

Louis

--------------
Bye.

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 20 2006,09:48   

Louis:

The abuse is because I am frustrated by dealing with a goal post moving dishonest git like you Gippy. Get it yet?

That might be, but given the evidence of your posts I suspect that your frustration arises because you're an incompetent debater who has realised the facts don't support his side of the argument. I mean, Geez dude, after all the trash talking about how your document was gonna blow a hole in my stats, and this is all you've got? Well, now we know why you favoured my banishment: if you can't beat 'em, cheat 'em. Too bad Wes wouldn't go along with your plan, and Shirley's idea of a Shunning didn't take hold. Oh well, you can now go back to your chemistry lab, confident that your transparent attempt to change the terms of the debate constitute a Blow for Truth and Justice. Meanwhile, reality will remain unimpressed, and people will continue to suffer.

--------------

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 20 2006,10:15   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ Oct. 17 2006,15:36)

And the analogous word to nigger is? The legal discrimination, is it affirmative action? How bout Sexual harrassment? The targeted bit: Wouldn't it make sense to target the ones with the money? And the stereotype is?

I think that maybe you are rolling Affirmative action into one big ball and calling it those other things.

Fundementalism which does not allow for change is always hard to integrate. Is there some new idea here? Education normally fixes religion problems. I see your point as running around telling us the volcano is blowing rather than telling us where the lava might go.

--------------
Who said that ev'ry wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it
Look what it's done so far

The Daily Wingnut

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 20 2006,10:36   

BWE:

And the analogous word to nigger is?

Whitey, cracka, honkie, whiteboy, gringo, haole....as in, "You picked the wrong hood to be in, whiteboy." By the way, notice that white men are routinely referred to as "boys" by Blacks. I've even been referred to that a couple of times myself. Never twice by the same individual, at least in face-to-face meetings (I don't tolerate it, nor should anyone).

Look, I don't want to turn this into a whinefest. And I certainly don't think that A.A. is remotely as evil as Jim Crow. But the truth is that the situation today is completely different from the past, and that's my main point.

Fundementalism which does not allow for change is always hard to integrate. Is there some new idea here? Education normally fixes religion problems. I see your point as running around telling us the volcano is blowing rather than telling us where the lava might go.

I don't deny that Muslims are individuals, and even that some subsets of Muslims integrate much better than other subsets. Perhaps the US model will prove to be an effective way to assimilate Muslim immigrants. The point remains, however, that one must recognise a problem before fixing it. I think immigration from muslim countries should be scaled back or even eliminated. That's one obvious solution. Another would be to import more NE Asians, Jews, and Indians. What is your take?

--------------

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 20 2006,10:38   

An massive increase in funding for public education.

--------------

The Daily Wingnut

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 20 2006,13:48   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ Oct. 19 2006,17:55)
[Hey Louis. Do you like apples?]

I love them so.

--------------
Editor, Red and Black Publishers
www.RedandBlackPublishers.com

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 21 2006,04:29   

Keep deluding yourself GoP, it's all you have.

Anyone else agree with Gippy's assessment?

Louis

--------------
Bye.

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 21 2006,04:39   

Quote (Louis @ Oct. 21 2006,09:29)
Keep deluding yourself GoP, it's all you have.

Anyone else agree with Gippy's assessment?

Louis

Dude, nobody else is even *listening* to the nutter.  (shrug)

--------------

Ogee

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 21 2006,05:11   

As a white man, I feel terribly underpriveleged and discriminated against.  There's no question that in our society minorities (especially blacks and Muslims) have unfair advantages, as proven by their economic dominance of us poor white folk and their disproportionate representation in government.  Of course, some of them are poor, but that's just because of their inferior culture or incapacity to assimilate.  The idea that there is real systemic discrimination against non-whites is just a dirty gay/liberal/intellectual lie.

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 21 2006,05:56   

Quote (Ogee @ Oct. 21 2006,10:11)
As a white man, I feel terribly underpriveleged and discriminated against.  There's no question that in our society minorities (especially blacks and Muslims) have unfair advantages, as proven by their economic dominance of us poor white folk and their disproportionate representation in government.  Of course, some of them are poor, but that's just because of their inferior culture or incapacity to assimilate.  The idea that there is real systemic discrimination against non-whites is just a dirty gay/liberal/intellectual lie.

And commie, too.  Don't forget the commies.

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 21 2006,06:07   

As the population of the US recently passes 300 million, it occurs to me that, in the US, good white aryans like Paley will very soon be . . . well . .  a minority.

One wonders how well Paley himself will then integrate into the, um, majority culture.

Or will Paley then advocate his own good white aryan version of "ethnic cleansing" . . . . ?

How about it, Paley?  Would you want your daughter to marry one of "those people" . . . . . . ?

--------------

BWE

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 21 2006,09:13   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ Oct. 20 2006,15:36)
BWE:

And the analogous word to nigger is?

Whitey, cracka, honkie, whiteboy, gringo, haole....as in, "You picked the wrong hood to be in, whiteboy." By the way, notice that white men are routinely referred to as "boys" by Blacks. I've even been referred to that a couple of times myself. Never twice by the same individual, at least in face-to-face meetings (I don't tolerate it, nor should anyone).

Have you ever heard Big Bill Broonzy's song, "When Do I Get To Be Called A Man?"

How about "Strange fruit?"

You GoP(s) turned out to be just about the same as your pretend alter ego. What sort of work do you do?

--------------

The Daily Wingnut

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 21 2006,09:56   

BWE:

Have you ever heard Big Bill Broonzy's song, "When Do I Get To Be Called A Man?"

Never heard it, but if it's about what I think it is, then it's ironic that many blacks would proceed to do the same #### thing. It's OK for them, though, correct?

How about "Strange fruit?"

One of my favorite songs. I prefer the younger Holliday myself, but the older edition has more character. So? I don't deny that lynching occured in the past. Trouble is, most of the interracial violence I see is black on white. As a wise man once said, "You could look it up."

You GoP(s) turned out to be just about the same as your pretend alter ego. What sort of work do you do?

You know, I once read a good line by a character in Stephen King's novel Thinner: "The definition of an ####### is someone who doesn't believe what's in front of his eyes", or something to that effect. I don't deny the injustice in the past, but I also won't cover my eyes to the injustices of the present. You ever read John McWhorter or Thomas Sowell? You should, because both of these black men agree that substantial discrimination for blacks is a thing of the past. They, along with a growing number of other blacks, argue that some aspects of Black culture are far more responsible for the remaining inequities than the actions of whites. But these intelligent, well-traveled black men are delusional Klansmen, right? .......Right?

Lenny:

As the population of the US recently passes 300 million, it occurs to me that, in the US, good white aryans like Paley will very soon be . . . well . .  a minority.

One wonders how well Paley himself will then integrate into the, um, majority culture.

This fact distresses more whites than you think. As for me, I don't care so long as the minority-majority culture doesn't find Western values evil white abstractions. If so, you'll be swinging next to me. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Or will Paley then advocate his own good white aryan version of "ethnic cleansing" . . . . ?

If ethnic cleansing ever happens (doubtful), it will be based on Mugabe's, not Hitler's, model. What's more likely is a heightened level of strife, with SWAT teams being a fixture in many high schools, not just California's. Hope it doesn't come to pass, but the preliminary evidence doesn't look so hot (heh).

How about it, Paley?  Would you want your daughter to marry one of "those people" . . . . . . ?

Since my future daughter will be mixed, she'll probably marry another mixed individual. But whomever she marries, (s)he has my support so long as (s)he's not someone like you. You know, an angry person who writes deceptive, poorly researched essays. If that ever happens, then you bet I'll be pissed.

--------------

Ogee

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 21 2006,10:01   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ Oct. 21 2006,14:56)
You know, an angry person who writes deceptive, poorly researched essays.

You are no stranger to irony, I see.

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 21 2006,10:50   

You are no stranger to irony, I see.

Well, maybe my 'tude is recessive. ;)

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 21 2006,11:57   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ Oct. 21 2006,14:56)

[ This fact distresses more whites than you think.]

I live in Florida, Paley.  I'm quite aware how "distressed" "whites" are by it.

And I laugh at them and their "distress".

[As for me, I don't care so long as the minority-majority culture]

Wow, you can't even bring yourself to SAY it, can you, Paley . . . even when they are "the majority", you will STILL continue to view them (and speak of them) as "minorities", and will STILL see yourself as their superiors. . . .

They will be "the majority", Paley.  YOU will be the "minority".  Get used to it, and pray they will be more merciful towards you than your ilk have been towards them.  Me, I think turnabout is fair play.  And you might even learn a lesson or two from it.

I think you and your fellow aryans are in for some awfully rough times in the next few decades, Paley. . . . .

[doesn't find Western values evil white abstractions.]

I see, so it's OK for YOU to think THEIR values are evil, but it's *not* OK if THEY think YOUR values are evil.  They have to integrate into YOUR culture, but YOU don't have to integrate into THEIRS.  I guess you're too good for that or something, huh.

And, uh, what again did you and your fellow aryans plan on doing if the majority DO decide to make you integrate into their majority culture (ya know, Paley -- like the way you want the Muslims to integrate into yours, and then bitch and complain when they don't do it to your satisfaction . . .?)

I do not think you are going to enjoy the next few decades, Paley. . . .

[If so, you'll be swinging next to me.]

No, Paley --- I'll be helping them string you up. I don't like aryan supremacists very much. And I take great pleasure in their "distress".

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 21 2006,12:01   

Hey Paley, why don't you go ahead and tell us how the US was founded as a white Christian nation . . . . . . . . . . .

--------------

341 replies since Aug. 23 2006,11:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (12) < ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]