RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (121) < ... 99 100 101 102 103 [104] 105 106 107 108 109 ... >   
  Topic: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed., Sternberg, Gonzalez, Crocker - A film< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
kevinmillerxi

(Permalink) Posted: July 20 2009,15:30   

Long time no heckle, guys. Just wanted to alert you to the next film you should be concerned about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UjVYnhhnm0

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: July 20 2009,15:34   

Quote (kevinmillerxi @ July 20 2009,15:30)
Long time no heckle, guys. Just wanted to alert you to the next film you should be concerned about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UjVYnhhnm0

Can you kick me out of it at the cinema? Cheers.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: July 20 2009,16:26   

Did detect a "Written By"?

I quit listening to NPR news decades ago, not because I disagreed with their politics, but because they put a crying kid or angry crowd soundtrack behind every news report.

I'm not going to watch any documentary  that backed by portentous music. Can't hit the off button fast enough.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

Peter Henderson

(Permalink) Posted: July 20 2009,17:21   

Was expelled really the turkey everyone on the Panda's Thumb has made it out to be ? Not according to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expelled:_No_Intelligence_Allowed

Expelled opened in 1,052 theaters, more than any other documentary before it, and grossed over $2,900,000 in its first weekend, the third biggest opening for a documentary. As of May 13, 2008 it had earned over $7 million, making it the twelfth-highest-grossing documentary film in the United States in nominal dollars, from 1982 to that date. In July, the movie was re-released allowing groups of 300 to book private screenings in theaters.

That doesn't look like an absolute bumber to me. Guess I can't use that argument any more on the YEC discussion forums. Who gets the profits ? Is it the Discovery Institute ?

Tracy P. Hamilton

(Permalink) Posted: July 20 2009,18:13   

Quote (Peter Henderson @ July 20 2009,17:21)
Was expelled really the turkey everyone on the Panda's Thumb has made it out to be ? Not according to Wikipedia:

Expelled opened in 1,052 theaters, more than any other documentary before it, and grossed over $2,900,000 in its first weekend, the third biggest opening for a documentary. As of May 13, 2008 it had earned over $7 million, making it the twelfth-highest-grossing documentary film in the United States in nominal dollars, from 1982 to that date. In July, the movie was re-released allowing groups of 300 to book private screenings in theaters.

That doesn't look like an absolute bumber to me. Guess I can't use that argument any more on the YEC discussion forums. Who gets the profits ? Is it the Discovery Institute ?

Cost to make this movie and advertise it?  Not much information specified.  IMDB estimates 3.5 million just for production.

Domestic Total Gross: $7,720,487 from box office mojo.

Compare to Religulous $13,011,160 gross, estimated 2.5 million to make.

--------------
"Following what I just wrote about fitness, you’re taking refuge in what we see in the world."  PaV

"The simple equation F = MA leads to the concept of four-dimensional space." GilDodgen

"We have no brain, I don't, for thinking." Robert Byers

dvunkannon

(Permalink) Posted: July 20 2009,18:44   

Quote (Peter Henderson @ July 20 2009,18:21)

Just to print a thousand copies of the film is serious money. I'd be suprised if they made any money at all on the first run in theaters. Probably started to be profitable with DVD sales. The church basement bookings are peanuts.

--------------
I’m referring to evolution, not changes in allele frequencies. - Cornelius Hunter
I’m not an evolutionist, I’m a change in allele frequentist! - Nakashima

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 08 2009,09:28   

The New York Times expels Ben Stein

Over economics, not "intelligent design" creationism.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 08 2009,09:38   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ Aug. 08 2009,09:28)
The New York Times expels Ben Stein

Over economics, not "intelligent design" creationism.

Ben has exhibited consistency.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 13 2009,14:27   

It looks like we will have Kevin Miller to kick around some more. He's scriptwriting a film trying to make heroic the life of exceptional loon and religious antievolutionist Kent Hovind.

Resurrection Pictures was founded in 2006 as the first—and possibly the only—501©(3) non-profit, tax-exempt ministry with a mission to produce and distribute Christian-themed entertainment for movie theaters worldwide.  This Christian film ministry is shaping the future of the faith-based film industry by investing in the work of others who share a vision to create high-quality, culturally relevant entertainment options that share the Gospel message.  In September 2009, Resurrection Pictures is partnering in the release of "The Secrets of Jonathan Sperry"—a heartwarming coming-of-age story about three 12-year-old boys who are shown how to apply Scripture to daily struggles—and is a 2009 Silver Sponsor of the 168 Hour Film Project & Festival.  Creation, Resurrection Pictures’ first original film project— a humorous and tearful story of a high school biology teacher’s struggle to expose the lie of evolution, based on the life of creation evangelist Dr. Kent Hovind and written by Kevin Miller the writer of "Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed" is scheduled for production in 2010.

Uh, Kevin, it hasn't been produced yet, so you could actually work to correct the errors we know you've written in so far. After all, we know your idea of "research". We'll give you a hand, I'm sure. Just post excerpts and after we get done laughing, we'll explain why going with your draft would continue your reputation as a laughingstock.

First hint: Calling Kent Hovind "Dr." isn't doing yourself any favors. Have you read Hovind's "dissertation" as distributed by Patriot University? I have.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

dheddle

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 13 2009,16:18   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ Aug. 13 2009,14:27)
It looks like we will have Kevin Miller to kick around some more. He's scriptwriting a film trying to make heroic the life of exceptional loon and religious antievolutionist Kent Hovind.

Resurrection Pictures was founded in 2006 as the first—and possibly the only—501©(3) non-profit, tax-exempt ministry with a mission to produce and distribute Christian-themed entertainment for movie theaters worldwide.  This Christian film ministry is shaping the future of the faith-based film industry by investing in the work of others who share a vision to create high-quality, culturally relevant entertainment options that share the Gospel message.  In September 2009, Resurrection Pictures is partnering in the release of "The Secrets of Jonathan Sperry"—a heartwarming coming-of-age story about three 12-year-old boys who are shown how to apply Scripture to daily struggles—and is a 2009 Silver Sponsor of the 168 Hour Film Project & Festival.  Creation, Resurrection Pictures’ first original film project— a humorous and tearful story of a high school biology teacher’s struggle to expose the lie of evolution, based on the life of creation evangelist Dr. Kent Hovind and written by Kevin Miller the writer of "Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed" is scheduled for production in 2010.

Uh, Kevin, it hasn't been produced yet, so you could actually work to correct the errors we know you've written in so far. After all, we know your idea of "research". We'll give you a hand, I'm sure. Just post excerpts and after we get done laughing, we'll explain why going with your draft would continue your reputation as a laughingstock.

First hint: Calling Kent Hovind "Dr." isn't doing yourself any favors. Have you read Hovind's "dissertation" as distributed by Patriot University? I have.

I nominate Richard Hughes to play Dr. Hovind--Rich has that certain je ne sais quoi.

--------------
Mysticism is a rational enterprise. Religion is not. The mystic has recognized something about the nature of consciousness prior to thought, and this recognition is susceptible to rational discussion. The mystic has reason for what he believes, and these reasons are empirical. --Sam Harris

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 13 2009,16:30   

Quote (dheddle @ Aug. 13 2009,16:18)
quote]
I nominate Richard Hughes to play Dr. Hovind--Rich has that certain je ne sais quoi.

Who gets to play the Lovely Mrs. Lying "Dr." Hovind?

a.) FTK
b.) Angelina Jolie
c.) Arden Chatfield

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 13 2009,16:31   

Quote (J-Dog @ Aug. 13 2009,16:30)
quote]

Who gets to play the Lovely Mrs. Lying "Dr." Hovind?

a.) FTK
b.) Angelina Jolie
c.) Arden Chatfield

d) Sal

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

Lowell

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 13 2009,16:32   

My god that sounds awful. And boring. I wonder if that's what he's trying to drum up capital for here on his blog.

--------------
The resurrection of Jesus Christ is one of the most well documented events of antiquity. Barry Arrington, Jan 17, 2012.

MichaelJ

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 13 2009,16:44   

Forgive my fearfully bad memory but didn't Kevin come here indicating that he accepted evolution but we must allow for some alternative explanations.
Its a huge drop from there to supporting Dr Dino or is Kevin just another troll lying for Jesus.

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 13 2009,16:46   

Pitch package and full script available upon request.

Now that I'd like to see! "Full script" eh? I think it would be helpful if that was to be double, nay, triple checked. I'm sure some hardy soul here would be happy to fact check it. Again. As I'm sure Kevin has already made sure that happened. As long as he did not use the same fact checkers as last time he'll be OK.

Several name actors are attached.

Hey the actors have "name"! Wow! Do they also have eyes? Teeth? Why isn't Kevin crowing over how good his actors dentistry is, as well as the face they are named?

Or is that the way you say it and I'm showing my cultural intolerance?  :p

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Chayanov

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 13 2009,16:55   

It's not a very long read, either. It even has some correctly spelled words and everything.

--------------
Help! Marxist literary critics are following me!

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 13 2009,17:08   

My noble brow will not pass for antipodean criminal stock.

harrumph!

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

SoonerintheBluegrass

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 13 2009,17:32   

Several name actors are attached.

I'll bet a bottle of single malt scotch that "name actors"= Kirk "Banana Boy" Cameron.

--------------
"And heaven will smell like the airport
But I may not get there to prove it
So let's not waste our time thinking how that ain't fair."

Neko Case

MichaelJ

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 13 2009,17:52   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Aug. 13 2009,17:08)

My noble brow will not pass for antipodean criminal stock.

harrumph!

I thought than Ham was the Aussie, Don't tell me that there are two from my shores.

Tony M Nyphot

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 13 2009,17:59   

Quote (dheddle @ Aug. 13 2009,15:18)

About RichardTHughes...you may not know what, but I do. One word:

Homo.

Besides, RTH is too funny. I think a "name" actor like Crispin Glover from his Rubin and Ed days could convey the whacked-out je ne sais QTF kookiness more accurately.

--------------
"I, OTOH, am an underachiever...I either pee my pants or faint dead away..." FTK

"You could always wrap fresh fish in the paper you publish it on, though, and sell that." - Field Man on how to find value in Gary Gaulin's real-science "theory"

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 13 2009,18:20   

Quote (MichaelJ @ Aug. 13 2009,17:52)
I thought than Ham was the Aussie, Don't tell me that there are two from my shores.

Crap. I confused them.

MIA KULPER

--------------

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 14 2009,07:35   

Quote (kevinmillerxi @ July 20 2009,15:30)

More here.

It's gratifying to see some consciousness-raising among vehemently pro-Zionist evangelicals but this is hardly an unknown issue.

There are Palestinian Christians? Yes, Virginia!

The Israeli army reportedly has the highest suicide rate in the world.

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 14 2009,08:12   

By the way, the film isn't going to compare the wall being constructed in Israel to the Aktion T4 Nazi plan or the Berlin Wall, is it?

We can partially thank Expelled for what's going on in health care town meetings. Nazis, Nazis, Nazis! Thanks, I'm the one who has to live with the consequences.

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 14 2009,08:51   

Quote (Lowell @ Aug. 13 2009,16:32)
First hint: Calling Kent Hovind "Dr." isn't doing yourself any favors. Have you read Hovind's "dissertation" as distributed by Patriot University? I have.[/quote]
My god that sounds awful. And boring. I wonder if that's what he's trying to drum up capital for here on his blog.

He's Ixnayed that posts, along with the comment I out there.

--------------

Lowell

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 14 2009,11:05   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Aug. 14 2009,08:51)
First hint: Calling

Ha Ha! Maybe whoever's producing the Dr. Dino drama didn't like Kev's marketing technique. Or maybe Kev's just a doofus.

--------------
The resurrection of Jesus Christ is one of the most well documented events of antiquity. Barry Arrington, Jan 17, 2012.

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 14 2009,12:37   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Aug. 13 2009,17:20)

Crap. I confused them.

MIA KULPER

I thought being confused was their normal state? :p

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 14 2009,12:50   

Quote (Lowell @ Aug. 14 2009,11:05)
Quote (Richardthughes @ Aug. 14 2009,08:51)

First hint: Calling

Ha Ha! Maybe whoever's producing the Dr. Dino drama didn't like Kev's marketing technique. Or maybe Kev's just a doofus.

Uhh, Dude?  We expelled Kevin Eleven from his own blog because, otherwise, if the Kent Hovind movie gets made, the whole edifice of evolutionary hegemony will crumble down onto it's rotten foundation.

Maybe you should have been paying attention at last week's Evil Darwinist Conspiracy meeting rather than trying to sneak a peak up Arden's skirt.  The expelling was discussed right after the communal prayer to Richard Dawkins and before we passed around the decorating committee sign-up sheet for next month's Ebola Ball.

Edited by Lou FCD on Aug. 15 2009,05:50

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

MichaelJ

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 14 2009,19:55   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Aug. 13 2009,18:20)

Crap. I confused them.

MIA KULPER

phew!

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 14 2009,19:59   

MichaelJ, are you related to Henry J?

--------------

MichaelJ

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 14 2009,20:12   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Aug. 14 2009,19:59)
MichaelJ, are you related to Henry J?

yes, but we don't like to talk about THAT side of the family, especially after the incident with the goat and Sister Virtue J

3612 replies since Aug. 12 2007,07:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (121) < ... 99 100 101 102 103 [104] 105 106 107 108 109 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]