RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (121) < ... 96 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105 106 ... >   
  Topic: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed., Sternberg, Gonzalez, Crocker - A film< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 07 2009,14:05   

Quote (Ideaforager @ Feb. 07 2009,13:00)

Kristine: Ben has a cause, but he doesn't really know what it is. But this is why it is important for people like Fogel to at least pay attention to Expelled. Fanatics often have their finger on a pulse - it's their analysis that off. But really, the question of a return to student-centered higher education is a crucial one! At their founding, universities used to be student guilds. In our modern, Web 2.0 era, we need to rethink higher education to make it more responsive to students.
How?

Good question. Right now I'm reading Scholarship Reconsidered by Ernest Boyer, past President of Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. It seems that many professors also feel "expelled," compelled to publish when they were attracted to teaching in the first place. (Massimo Pigliucci also claims this in his book Denying Evolution.) Faculty are still largely rewarded for research. There seems to be, on the part of both students and faculty, a real desire for the reintegration of research and teaching, and more interdisciplinary collaboration, rather than sitting on committees and performing departmental chores (for faculty), and defining a specialty (for students).

Boyer says:            
Research per se was not the problem. The problem was that the research mission, which was appropriate for some institutions, created a shadow over the entire higher learning enterprise--and the model ot a "Berkeley" or an "Amherst" became the yardstick by which all institutions would be measured... Ironically, at the very time America's higher education institutions were becoming more open and inclusive, the culture of the professoriate was becoming more hierarchival and restrictive.

That's as far as I've gotten. (I must have this all read by Tuesday.) But in my mind there's the fledgling idea that students (undergrads, not just grads) could in some basic ways participate in the research that faculty do, and that all faculty in an institution should read the papers of other faculty, even far outside their specialty, to build a sense of support and collegiality within, and not just without, the institution. (I do not have a biology degree, but have been able to glean insights from peer-reviewed lit in biology; likewise for computer science, and anthropology. THEN, faculty would also become aware that librarians and archivists also do research and publish peer-reviewed papers, which is part of my evil plot, bwa ha ha!;)

All this is brewing in my mind along with the issue of information literacy, which is close to the academic librarian's heart. From the point of view of the librarian, students shuffle in, often having procrastinated a research paper assignment, and beg the librarian to show them a few sources for them to cite, so that they can complete the paper in time. The whole point was for them to understand how to find sources for themselves. Also, the literature suggests that many faculty, in assigning research paper assignments to students, are trying to teach and reinforce search strategies that are outdated. Students are using Google these days. Being able to identify authoritative information on the internet is very important.

The U of M utilized student blogs in a way that was groundbreaking. One of my professors fought for it. I don't know much about that, yet. Frankly, I don't have answers about how exactly the new technology of Web 2.0 will redefine higher education, but I think it will - and we need to jump on it. (Of course, we have, here and in blogs and discussion groups, and in the promise of open access publishing and archiving.) The words of the anthropologist  Clifford Geertz (Princeton) seem prescient to me:            
What we are seeing is not joy another redrawing of the cultural map...but an alternation of the principles of mapping. Something is happening to the way we think about the way we think.

I think Ben and the IDists are trying to manipulate the real frustrations of students into a crusade about "Darwinism" that has nothing to do with the reality of student life. If anything, students want more guidance from their professors, more teaching, more interaction, not to be cast to the winds of so-called "academic freedom" and left to their own devices to measure science against fringe and pseudoscience. They don't want the Michael Crichton "lone inventor" model of discovery. The irony is, Ben and his friends are advocating no real pedagological change in the academy - just an "add creationism and stir" tactic. But collaborative learning, seminars, and students taking on limited teaching roles in class is a growing idea. (Shit, every other class I have now means I have to give a presentation!;)

I'd like to see the creationists handle that. They don't like collaborative learning and their homeschooling techniques consist of top-down, lecture-based, close-ended questions that have only one answer. (Remember Jesus Camp? "Scientists say we have global warming. What's the answer?" "Well, scientists are just wrong, because the earth's temperature has only risen blah-de-blah percent." "Good boy.") These are the heirs to irrelevance.

I may have posted this paper elsewhere in this forum, but here's a great example: The Natural Selection: Identifying & Correcting Non-Science Student Preconceptions Through an Inquiry-Based, Critical Approach to Evolution by Jennifer R. Robbins and Pamela Roy. (Of course this is at the high school level, but I love the model.)

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 09 2009,08:48   

For continuity, I'm moving the OT discussion begun by RFJE to The Bathroom Wall.

Bathroom wall, by adactio

ETA: Start here to read the moved conversation.

Edited by Lou FCD on Feb. 09 2009,09:59

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 09 2009,09:27   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Feb. 09 2009,08:48)
For continuity, I'm moving the OT discussion begun by RFJE to The Bathroom Wall.

Maybe we need a new, improved thread - Now with more creationists! - called "Expectorated" - For IDers and Creos That Just Got To Spew -

What do you think?

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 09 2009,10:02   

I'd say hang on to this thread through Dawkins' tour next month. :)

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 09 2009,10:27   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Feb. 09 2009,14:48)

[Cornish accent]

"My friend Denzel works in one of those old fashioned underground public lavatories in Launceston. He said to me 'Jethro, we've got perverts coming in here fiddling with their dicky doodlers, other perverts coming in here fiddling with each other's dicky doodlers, yet other perverts coming in here drilling holes in the walls and stuffing each other, people injecting drugs and snorting drugs and what have you. I tell you if someone comes down here for a good honest shit, it's a breath of fresh air!'"

[/Cornish accent]

I hope you don't mind but I've created a thread for our new chum, linked the replies (hopefully accurately) and I now hope that whatever action happens happens there. Our toilet is overflowing with the wrong sort of turds.... ;)

Louis (Chairman of the Keep Our Toilet Dirty And Rehabilitate Richard Hughes Committee)

--------------
Bye.

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 09 2009,14:25   

Quote (J-Dog @ Feb. 09 2009,08:27)
For IDers and Creos That Just Got To Spew -

What do you think?

Isn't that pretty much all (or at least most) of them? ;)

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 10 2009,11:06   

The Nutshell Story of Expelled.

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 18 2009,15:54   

Casey Luskin

The NCSE's approach is otherwise known as 'blaming the victim.'"

Although the NCSE's website spends much energy attempting (poorly) to debunk and deny claims that ID proponents experience persecution, the attitude found at “Expelled Exposed” wouldn’t be any different even if its authors admitted that the attacks experienced by pro-ID scientists had actually occurred. In essence, “Expelled Exposed” effectively says, 'There’s no persecution of ID-proponents in the academy. But even if there was, so what? They deserve it.'

"Expelled Exposed" occasionally pays lip-service to freedom of speech, but the site itself should be exposed for what it really is: an attempt to subtly—and sometimes not so subtly—convince readers that the pro-ID viewpoint does not deserve the full protections of academic freedom. By unashamedly encouraging would-be persecutors, “Expelled Exposed” unwittingly justifies the central thesis of the Expelled documentary, namely that ID proponents lack academic freedom and experience unjust persecution and blacklisting within the academy.

More "unwitting" ID victories. Lots of unwitting ID scientific research going on too, apparently.

I happened to read that piece by Casey directly after this:How to respond to requests to debate creationists
I wonder what Casey will say to that. And what will Ben say?

-- David Klinghoffer - Discovery Institute.
Ben Stein may not be the best person to single-handedly represent the ID side. As you're aware, he's known mainly as an entertainer.

Indeed....

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Schroedinger's Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 18 2009,16:22   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Feb. 18 2009,22:54)
I happened to read that piece by Casey directly after this:How to respond to requests to debate creationists

That. Is. Brilliant!

--------------
"Hail is made out of water? Are you really that stupid?" Joe G

"I have a better suggestion, Kris. How about a game of hide and go fuck yourself instead." Louis

"The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit" Richard Pryor

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 18 2009,16:28   

And here I thought that an entertainer was somebody who, well, entertains...? ;)

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 18 2009,16:50   

Debating the existence of god

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

That's so fucking stupid it merits a wing in the museum of stupid. -midwifetoad

Frequency is just the plural of wavelength...
-JoeG

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 18 2009,16:54   

I have been musing on something for a few days now, since the idea occurred to me. I'm not sure where to go with it so I offer it for dissection/destruction/deification as appropriate:

Geert Wilders was prevented from entering the UK last week to go to the House of Lords to show his film Fitna. He was invited by a member of the HoL and is a Dutch MP himself.

His film Fitna intersperses surahs from the qu'ran with various atrocities committed in the name of islam.

Now Wilders and the UKIP party that invited him are the "tolerable front" of some rather nasty policies. They are racist ideologues one step away from "we don't like nasty black people". They often use criticism of religion to hide their bigotry behind.

However Fitna did, and does, no more than Expelled does. The fact that it is used by bigots to justify their drivel and as a cover for it is identical in both cases. It is a propaganda piece that seeks to condemn a people because of a minority. Like Expelled, it is a film that preaches to the converted.

What is concerning me is that Fitna differs from Expelled in one important respect: it is at least accurate. There REALLY are people who believe the things, and do the things, outlined in Fitna. Expelled is a work of fiction. Of course not all muslims, the majority in fact, would recognise their own faith in Fitna. It's an expose of the extremists (not that they need more exposing). Just like not all christians would recognise their faith as being represented by Kent Hovind or Ted Haggard.

The problem for me is that really unpleasant people like UKIP and Wilders etc have usurped secularist arguments, arguments that are perfectly valid btw, to shield their racism. They dishonestly couch their bigotry behind valid critiques of extremist religion. It unfortunately breeds unholy (literally) alliances and makes me bitterly uncomfortable as a secularist and a liberal (European variety).

Since I'm musing away I wondered what other people think. My first tongue in cheek thought was that with Wilders being refused entry due to the unpleasantness of Fitna (and other of his works) Ben Stein should not plan a UK vacation any time soon...

Louis

--------------
Bye.

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 18 2009,17:01   

Quote (Louis @ Feb. 18 2009,16:54)
Since I'm musing away I wondered what other people think. My first tongue [...] was [...] Ben Stein ....

Here is what I think.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 18 2009,17:07   

Quote (carlsonjok @ Feb. 18 2009,23:01)
Since I'm musing away I wondered what other people think. My first tongue [...] was [...] Ben Stein ....

Here is what I think.

Crikey! How long have you been waiting to use THAT LOLcat. Bravo! I'll let you have that one for free.*

Louis

*Which is what your mum said....DAMN! I knew I couldn't keep it up**

**Which is what you said....DAMN!

--------------
Bye.

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 18 2009,17:11   

My only close contact with Muslims has been keeping a couple of Egyptian pre-teens in my home for a week as part of a summer camp exchange program. I found it rather remarkable that the parents would allow infidels to house and feed their children. (We bullied the local Dominoes  into making pizza with tuna instead of sausage.)

The following year the parents dropped by for a quick visit. they were quite pleasant apart from being dentists.

When the were gone, however, my wife said she was horrified at how submissive the wife was. (She was also a dentist and therefore professionally equal.)

Of course it's only been 90 years since women in our enlightened country got the vote.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

Schroedinger's Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 18 2009,17:14   

Quote (Louis @ Feb. 19 2009,00:07)
Quote (carlsonjok @ Feb. 18 2009,23:01)

Here is what I think.

Crikey! How long have you been waiting to use THAT LOLcat. Bravo! I'll let you have that one for free.*

Louis

*Which is what your mum said....DAMN! I knew I couldn't keep it up**

**Which is what you said....DAMN!

Sorry, I have to say it, but Louis, you gave me my best internet sincere laugh in WEEKS!

It is always nice, while depressingly roaming through IDiocity, to have such pearls of wit.

Thank you for what you're doing.*

*Including, but not limited to, Carlson's mom

--------------
"Hail is made out of water? Are you really that stupid?" Joe G

"I have a better suggestion, Kris. How about a game of hide and go fuck yourself instead." Louis

"The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit" Richard Pryor

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 18 2009,17:51   

Quote (Schroedinger's Dog @ Feb. 18 2009,17:14)
Thank you for what you're doing.*

*Including, but not limited to, Carlson's mom

Okay, Frenchie, let me put this in terms you can understand.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 18 2009,18:33   

Since I'm musing away I wondered what other people think. My first tongue in cheek thought was that with Wilders being refused entry due to the unpleasantness of Fitna (and other of his works) Ben Stein should not plan a UK vacation any time soon...

Louis[/quote]
Louis,

Sorry, got no LOL kittyz, but I do have a couple of thoughts.

1.) I think the guy should be allowed into GB to give his little talk - He was invited, he's not fomenting anarchy or violence - not directly anyway.  If the GB Muslems have a problem, they are invited to protest - non-violently.  Threats of violence- No.  Sorry.  You're religion is crazy, and so is The Phrophet.  Deal with it in another way.

2.) Latent or overt racism = racism.  Ignorant, dumb and can only be fought through education - maybe re-education (Clockwork Orange anyone?).  If your visitor is a closet hater, then all you can do is maintain the separation of ideas.  One good, one bad, deal with each.
Got to protect the freedom to utter stupidities!

3.) I can't believe there are no LOLKittz vs. Racists or LOL Kittyz vs sharia law!  And we call this a World Wide Web!

4.) eddited - had to leave in a hurry earlier to take kid to basketball game...

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2009,09:13   

Bam:p (PS - I'm getting sick of Expelled. Finally.)

*edit - hopefully fix't linky glitch

Ahhh! Okay, now?

Edited by Kristine on Feb. 19 2009,10:49

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

JonF

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2009,10:15   

Dead link.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2009,10:49   

Quote (midwifetoad @ Feb. 18 2009,23:11)
My only close contact with Muslims has been keeping a couple of Egyptian pre-teens in my home for a week as part of a summer camp exchange program. I found it rather remarkable that the parents would allow infidels to house and feed their children. (We bullied the local Dominoes  into making pizza with tuna instead of sausage.)

The following year the parents dropped by for a quick visit. they were quite pleasant apart from being dentists.

When the were gone, however, my wife said she was horrified at how submissive the wife was. (She was also a dentist and therefore professionally equal.)

Of course it's only been 90 years since women in our enlightened country got the vote.

Oh I've got no problem with "muslims" per se, any more than I have with "christians" or "theists". These are groups too diverse and big for me to have any "policy" or "problem" regarding them. I've had lots of lovely experiences with muslim people (and christian people and ....) precisely because of the common denominator in all those descriptors: i.e. "people". People are fine! I am one myself dontcherknow. ;) Anyway, I can only comment that behind closed doors the situation you mention might have been very different....

The thing with Wilders' film and Expelled is interesting to me because both are propaganda films whose expressed purpose is to disguise some idea known to be dodgy by presenting it as a (supposedly) less dodgy idea. In the case of Fitna, Wilders is trying to appropriate valid secular critiques about the religious justification of atrocities to disguise his racist political agenda. In the case of Expelled, Kevvo and chums are trying to disguise a religiously motivated political agenda behind faux pleas about persecution, error strewn defamation by association, and demonstrable false pseudoscience. The only difference is that some of the critiques in Fitna might be good ones, none of the ones in Expelled are. Both films are being used for nefarious purposes.

There are ideas bubbling in my head that I'm not really sure what to do with. I probably need to go away, learn some more about the relevant issues, and have a good old think.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2009,10:49   

It's gone. :(

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2009,11:58   

Quote (Kristine @ Feb. 19 2009,11:49)
It's gone. :(

It's still there. The link is weird.

Let's try this one. ETA: This will get you there now.

as a response to these two comments:

Wayne Hollyoak: Once again, the scientific establishment has bamboosled the public into blackballing on of its disidents. "Heil Dawkins!" Everyone click your heels and salute!
February 19, 9:18 AM

Wayne Hollyoak: Once again, the scientific establishment has bamboosled the public into blackballing on of its disidents. "Heil Dawkins!" Everyone click your heels and salute!
February 19, 9:51 AM

I presume this is the relevant comment:

Kristine: Oh, get over yourself, Wayne. (Repeat yourself much?) For one thing, Stein withdrew after Fogel asked him what the speech was to be about; Stein could have answered, if he believes in freedom of speech and academic freedom. Likewise, if Stein thinks he's fighting "Nazis" he should have shown more, er, backbone - but he only made Expelled for the money. Which didn't come. So now Ben Stein's distancing himself from the film (notice that all the PR about his upcoming commencement address at UVM didn't even mention Expelled once!) Some "dissident." I guess the post-production snake-handler tour, on which he claimed, "Science leads you to killing people," wasn't quite the ponzi scheme that he expected it to be. Enjoy being hoodwinked, do you?
February 19, 10:07 AM

Edited by Lou FCD on Feb. 19 2009,12:59

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 13 2009,09:55   

The Expelled folks need to head to Turkey to document this. Darwin was expelled from the front cover of a government-sponsored science mag.

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 13 2009,13:10   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Mar. 13 2009,09:55)
The Expelled folks need to head to Turkey to document this. Darwin was expelled from the front cover of a government-sponsored science mag.

Maybe we should just call Turkey "chicken" from now on.

Ooooh, Ben Stein is "notorious" as an ID advocate now! Maybe now he'll finally get the, er, chicks. :p

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 13 2009,16:42   

Kevin's blog:

http://kevinwrites.typepad.com/

*.................@..................# [/tumbleweed]

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 13 2009,19:44   

Bwahaha, the guy does have his moments.
But my sagging stock portfolio isn't the real bad news. No, that comes from screenwriter John August. In a recent post, he noted that "studio development slates are being cut in half." That means half of the $400 million steaming apple pie that all of us screenwriters are scrambling to cram our faces into just fell on the floor and is now full of cat hair. And no, you wouldn't want to eat it anyway, even if you could, because they just swept it up, threw it in the garbage and then hauled it away in a truck to discourage dumpster diving.

I liked that. But now I want some apple pie.  :(  (Hobo pie?)

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

Badger3k

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 13 2009,19:59   

Quote (Kristine @ Mar. 13 2009,19:44)
Bwahaha, the guy does have his moments.

But my sagging stock portfolio isn't the real bad news. No, that comes from screenwriter John August. In a recent post, he noted that "studio development slates are being cut in half." That means half of the $400 million steaming apple pie that all of us screenwriters are scrambling to cram our faces into just fell on the floor and is now full of cat hair. And no, you wouldn't want to eat it anyway, even if you could, because they just swept it up, threw it in the garbage and then hauled it away in a truck to discourage dumpster diving.

I liked that. But now I want some apple pie.  :(  (Hobo pie?)

Why does he need money?  Didn't he rake in on the millions of dollars that Expelled made, being the oscar-winning mega-blockbuster that it was?

:D

--------------
"Just think if every species had a different genetic code We would have to eat other humans to survive.." : Joe G

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 13 2009,23:55   

Maybe he needs some of that Clear Eyes stuff?

Henry

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 17 2009,16:42   

Ben Stein: How blacks see him.
I was watching the periphrastic pundit, actor and neo-economist Ben Stein on CBS Sunday morning pontificating.
He said that if President Obama offered more happy talk, more conviction that times would get better, then they would.
I was watching him just a few minutes after I had a conversation with a sister who lost her job the same week her husband did. They were confident that they could make it through three months, thanks to savings, but didn’t know what would happen to them after that. Stein wants happy talk, sister wants a job.

--------------

AtBC Poet Laureate

3612 replies since Aug. 12 2007,07:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (121) < ... 96 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105 106 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]