RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (16) < ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 >   
  Topic: For the love of Avocationist, A whole thread for some ID evidence< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Fractatious

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 03 2007,05:28   

If you don't actually have a scientific argument for ID, then do us all a favour and just say so.  I'll promise never to bring the subject up again.
If you like I'll provide you with some escape phrases.

I'll directly cite off GodandScience Website:

Characteristics of a Successful ID Model

1. The intelligent Designer is identified
2. The model is detailed
3. The model can be refined
4. The model is testable and falsifiable
5. The model can make predictions

How does the biblical ID model score on the above characteristics? The intelligent Designer is identified as the Creator God of the Bible. The biblical model of creation is detailed in that the major creation events are listed in a temporal sequence. Dozens of creation passages make specific claims about the nature of the world. The model can be refined by putting together all the biblical creation passages into a coherent, detailed model. Many skeptics claim that ID models cannot be tested, but then go on to state that the biblical descriptions of nature are incorrect. You can't have it both ways! A biblically-based ID model is eminently testable and falsifiable. Contrary to the claims of opponents, the biblical model does make predictions. For example, it claims that all men are descended from one man, Noah, whereas women come from up to 4 different blood lines (see Genesis 6). One would predict from this claim that males would have lower genetic variability on their y-chromosomes, compared to the mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA), which is passed on exclusively through women. Published scientific studies confirm this biblical prediction, since the last common ancestor dates for the y-chromosome tend to be less than that for mtDNA

Full Transcript Here.

Mike PSS

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 03 2007,12:59   

Quote (argystokes @ Feb. 03 2007,01:58)
Mike,

I would say that the mutation rate is increased (not sure how without reading the referenced papers that claim this) when the bug finds itself in a starvation condition.

Chris Hyland posted this image on another thread back in August; it might be helpful for discussion on hypermutation events.

Thank you argy.
Y-u-u-u-u-p-y-u-u-p-y-u-pyupyupupupupup (food for your avatar)

This explains (a little) the point Avo was making about genes selected for mutation too.  I guess we were talking along parallel tracks but each had different information.

Mike PSS

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 03 2007,13:05   

Quote (Fractatious @ Feb. 03 2007,06:17)
Quote (Fractatious @ Feb. 04 2007,00:13)

Quote (demallien @ Feb. 04 2007,00:04)

Quote (Fractatious @ Feb. 03 2007,04:49)
Mon cherie,

Vous etes une telle reine de drame. Je ris a vous hahaha.

Je vous adore ;)

Mon chéri... à moins qu'il soit moins homme qu'on a cru ;-)

Peut etre je demanderai pardon en avance pour ce commentaire hahaha. Votre conflit n'est pas la mine mais si vous voulez etre plus d'un homme qu'il est, alors etre mon invite  :p

Votre correction de cher a ete note, a ete catalogue.

Naku noa, Deadman,

Kei pakeha korero tutai tenei.

Poi marie, taku tane hoa.

Jo

Need I say more?

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 03 2007,13:41   

Lissen up: you people should learn American and use it like normal human beings: if it was good enough for the Jesus and the Bible, it's good enough for me.
Damm furriners. - dt

--------------
AtBC Award for Thoroughness in the Face of Creationism

Fractatious

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 03 2007,15:42   

Quote (Mike PSS @ Feb. 04 2007,08:05)
Need I say more?

Je crache dans votre visage!!!!

Fractatious

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 03 2007,15:44   

Quote (deadman_932 @ Feb. 04 2007,08:41)
Lissen up: you people should learn American and use it like normal human beings: if it was good enough for the Jesus and the Bible, it's good enough for me.
Damm furriners. - dt

Je dis ceci avec l'amour - me mordre  :)

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 03 2007,16:57   

Re "since the last common ancestor dates for the y-chromosome tend to be less than that for mtDNA"

Yep. 100,000 years is certainly less than 200,000 years. Wonder why the quoted material omitted the actual dates being compared? ;)

Henry

jeannot

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 03 2007,17:19   

Quote (Fractatious @ Feb. 03 2007,15:42)
Quote (Mike PSS @ Feb. 04 2007,08:05)
Need I say more?

Je crache dans votre visage!!!!

We would say "je vous crache à la gueule", which is not very kind, to say the least.

Nice frog, BTW.

jeannot

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 03 2007,17:52   

Quote (Henry J @ Feb. 03 2007,16:57)
Re "since the last common ancestor dates for the y-chromosome tend to be less than that for mtDNA"

Yep. 100,000 years is certainly less than 200,000 years. Wonder why the quoted material omitted the actual dates being compared? ;)

Henry

Not mentioning that the coalescent is much more ancient for autosomal regions.

avocationist

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 03 2007,18:46   

Hello Steve's Sibling Mike,

Things are quite confusing so I'll have to try to clarify a bit. You say that "the experimenters created an environment where a bug that produced the first product of nylon digestion would thrive (they called this bug PAO5501) whereas the PAO1 bug would starve."
So this means that it was done in such a way that there was an artifically created survival island. What conditions could that have been? What did the bugs eat ? Then, "The experimenters then took this PAO5501 bug and placed it into an environment that only a bug that produced the second product of nylon digestion would thrive."  Hmmm...but Spetner is talking about the probability of whichever bug that survives on nylon that he was aware of. If there is a newer set - I do not know how much it does or does not relate to his older set.

Yes, I know 5501 had the first enzyme mutation. What I am wondering is what did that allow it to do so that  it to survived and generated the next level of mutation?

It sounds like they knew what they were going for in advance? And perhaps that is because they were trying to recreate earlier nylon eating bugs? So if they created them stepwise, then it is already a bit intelligently designed, no?

I explained clearly in the last post WHY it was a bit disingenuous because of the detailed analysis of comparitive experiments whose results speak directly to this experiment. THIS is why you can't just say "Their guessing so it's no good".  You have to show WHY the guess is no good by investigating the past precedence evidence and find flaws in reasoning or judgement to "break" the links of the present experimental conclusions with any supporting evidence.  This is not meant to be onerous to the challanger but a necessary step to have any factual or logical basis to challange the experimental conclusions.
But what did they guess? What I saw in the article was that they stated they didn't really know how it happened, except that it was the result of stress, with which I agree. And I never said their guess was no good, I simply said we don't understand the mechanisms by which bugs seem to come up with just what they need when they need it.
Spetner never referenced (so I suspect was not aware) this experiment.  If Spetner saw the experimental results then what he claimed (his calculation of a small probability of two alterations) would require a bit of rework in the mathematical assumptions.  Because the process happened from scratch (pure PAO1 bug) in three months.  I know I wouldn't carry on with my improbability claims if someone showed me what I was claiming had actually occurred in three months.
So it appears that Spetner was talking about an earlier experiment, not this one. But your emphasis that it happened in a very short time only decreases the probabilities. Spetner isn't doubting that it happens, what he is doubting is that it is a process with no direction. He thinks random processes would not just happen to come up with such focused mutations at the right time.
I had told you that there are TWO different bugs already identified before this experiment.
Now I thought you said they had to create the first one.  
As I stated above, the experiment laid out a supporting basis of findings to support the stated conclusions.  Spetner doesn't deal with the supporting evidence at all.
 What conclusions does Spetner disagree with?

And it also seems that Spetner is being a bit hypocritical by "ignoring" enzyme1 development (while then calling it improbable) while at the same time criticising an experiment because "50 tests were not enough so they ignored some other capability.

This is the bit which confused me before. Spetner's point about the two separate mutations is that it is even more unlikely to have two lucky chances occur than one. What's the 50 experiments comment about?

I would say that the mutation rate is increased  when the bug finds itself in a starvation condition.

Yes, but other conditions cause it, too, or we wouldn't have antibiotic resistance.

Yes, I should look for some reference on this, although I generally have a hard time finding what I'm looking for. I guess I have lousy googling skills as well.

Ichthyic,

do you know what projection means?

Yes, I do, and I find it a particularly useful concept. Projection is what k.e. did in his shocking post, and that is why I said we had gotten a picture of his inner world.

Or, maybe he is right and I am an insane theofascist who must be stopped.

Serendipity,

You do love to talk over my head. I never said that science would accept other dimensions without proof, or at least clues to their existence. I merely mentioned other dimensions for reasons I have long since forgotten, and got a response from somebody, as though it were a silly or magical idea. And my point was that IF there are other dimensions, they will be just as real and just as much part of our reality as the three or four we currently approve of. And they came back with the problem that we can't see them. So then my point was, don't let that be such a barrier, in light of what we have already discovered that was unseen or dreamt of a mere 2 or 3 or so hundred years ago.

As to whether there is anything smaller than quanta, I am not sure. A quanta is the smallest unit of energy? If it is the smallest unit, then by definition there is nothing smaller. Where do the proposed strings fit into this picture? By the way, the book I mentioned reading is called Beyond The Big Bang.

At any rate, I'm perpelxed by your last post (in English, that is). I didn't know about a Biblical ID model. I guess there could be one. But why did you post it? If I would look for ancient wisdom as regards cosmology or human history,  I'd probably look at Hindu sources.

I find the Biblical Genesis creation mythos rather nice, and reasonably compatible with science, and open to many different possible interpretations.

OK, Cedric, I'll give your question a try. But I don't even know how a scientific model is properly presented, so I'll go to wiki or something. As to whether ID has one, I don't know. As to whether ID is a theory or just an inference, I don't know. Probably I should know, since I am sure I've seen it discussed. But I don't find that question all that important.

Demallion,

You ask how I can explain why the process listed above isn't sufficient. First off, there is no process listed above, except that that author of that quote (and I have stressed this twice now that it wasn't me) believes that further mutations could accomplish an IC system. An unspecified IC system. So somebody says that he sees no reason why more mutations couldn't accomplish an IC system.

So what you are asking is why don't I think the mechanism of NDE, which is really random mutation, isn't sufficient. I hope you realize it's a pretty big question.

Of course, finding it insufficient, I then have to wonder - so what the heck did happen? Wouldn't we all like to know.

Let me point out that the scepticism over NDE isn't that small adjustments like that don't happen, but that they can lead to new body plans, or IC systems.

Henry,
Yep. 100,000 years is certainly less than 200,000 years. Wonder why the quoted material omitted the actual dates being compared?

So do the evolutionists have a theory to account for this oddity? And please don't let this comment be mistaken for my subscribing to a Noah's ark history of the human race. I'm just wonderin'.

avocationist

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 03 2007,18:57   

Oh, wait, I missed this.

Characteristics of a Successful ID Model

1. The intelligent Designer is identified
2. The model is detailed
3. The model can be refined
4. The model is testable and falsifiable
5. The model can make predictions

Is this what I should use?

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 03 2007,19:00   

don't you know?

as a suggestion, perhaps rather than examining things you don't have a clue about, like how a theory is constructed, or how a testable model is produced, it seems to me your real issue is incredulity over how evolution could have produced structures deemed "irreducibly complex" by the ID crowd.

semantics aside (the term IC is patently vacuous to begin with), have you looked at any specific proposed "IC" system to see what the current research is on its evolution?

have you looked at research on eye evolution, for example?

the eye was the classic example used to start the whole "IC" phenomenon.

would you like links to the history of research showing how far we have come in elucidating the evolution of the eye in both vertebrates and invertebrates?

perhaps you would like to examine the thinking of Darwin himself on the issue, long before any of the research was ever done?

If it were me, and I didn't have any background in science, that's where I would at least start; then I would ask questions about the specific research papers to fill in the gaps in my own knowledge, rather than apply my own gut instincts.

...or have we already been there, done that?  I don't find the effort warranted to scan back and see.

but hey, you struggle with it however you like, and feel free to keep on projecting your own incredulity on to the rest of us.

--------------
"And the sea will grant each man new hope..."

-CC

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 03 2007,19:34   

Re Henry "Yep. 100,000 years is certainly less than 200,000 years. Wonder why the quoted material omitted the actual dates being compared?"

Re acocationist "So do the evolutionists have a theory to account for this oddity? And please don't let this comment be mistaken for my subscribing to a Noah's ark history of the human race. I'm just wonderin'. "

I don't see an oddity there. Afaik there's no particular reason why the last dad-only parental line last common ancestor, and the last mom-only parental line last common ancestor, should have similar time spans.

Henry

Mike PSS

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 03 2007,22:55   

Avo,
I'll answer the questions quickly but start to direct the discussion away from Spetner and the experimenters conclusions but continue to use this as a factual reference.  We can carry on a long time about what someone meant or how they felt when they wrote, but we can spend a much shorter time just looking at the facts of the experiment (and the lack of any in Spetner's diatribe).
Quote (avocationist @ Feb. 03 2007,19:46)
So this means that it was done in such a way that there was an artifically created survival island. What conditions could that have been? What did the bugs eat ?

The conditions are outlined in the paper.  A bit technical but clearly laid out.

What I am wondering is what did that allow it to do so that  it to survived and generated the next level of mutation?

The agar plates where the PAO5501 bug was found were spiked with a food that only an enzyme1 modified bug would thrive.

It sounds like they knew what they were going for in advance?

Yes, most experiments tend to have a conclusion in mind.  So why carry out the experiment in the first place?  Hmmmm.....
(An obvious stick appears and hits me over the head)
Because the results may NOT be what the experimenters assume.  And THIS is what leads to discovery.

And perhaps that is because they were trying to recreate earlier nylon eating bugs?

No, the experiment abstract states they are trying to create a similar functionality from a new bug strain.  Therefore a new bug.

So if they created them stepwise, then it is already a bit intelligently designed, no?

HAHAHAHAHAHA*****(choke)*****(cough)*****(ahem)*****
Refer to my redirection of the discussion below.

But what did they guess? What I saw in the article was that they stated they didn't really know how it happened, except that it was the result of stress, with which I agree. And I never said their guess was no good, I simply said we don't understand the mechanisms by which bugs seem to come up with just what they need when they need it.

And I agree that we don't know the mechanism for the mutations.  And the bottom of my last post outlines this.  There is a doctoral level thesis in this type of study I'm sure.

So it appears that Spetner was talking about an earlier experiment, not this one. But your emphasis that it happened in a very short time only decreases the probabilities.

How?  Show me the math.  Otherwise your handwaving here.

Spetner isn't doubting that it happens, what he is doubting is that it is a process with no direction. He thinks random processes would not just happen to come up with such focused mutations at the right time.

The original nylon bugs were found in the nylon factory IIRC.  In fact, they were found in the factory effluent where there were reactants, intermediaries, and products all mixed up nicely in a soup of solvents and reagents.  Spetner is correct in saying that a nylon eating bug that eats nylon strands in your car needs both mutations to survive BUT HE IS INCORRECT IN RELATING THAT POINT BACK TO THE SOUP WHERE THE BUGS WERE ORIGINALLY FOUND.  He has no clue about how the first mutation for enzyme1 interacted with all the messy intermediaries in the chemical ooze.  I think you can infer a lot more information when you start to find out the facts of the origination of this organism.

Now I thought you said they had to create the first one.

Read the paper.  The two original bugs are referenced.  They started with a bug called PAO1 that had no nylon eating characteristics at all.

What conclusions does Spetner disagree with?

See below again.

This is the bit which confused me before. Spetner's point about the two separate mutations is that it is even more unlikely to have two lucky chances occur than one.

Luck plays no part in THIS game.  And what do his calculated probablilities REALLY mean?  What part of the whole bug creation process, in light of the PAO5502 experiment is Spetner speaking too?  See below again.

What's the 50 experiments comment about?

A bit of Spetner Sputum when he read Kimura and pooh-poohed some testing regime in the Kimura paper.  Read the Spetner article.

Yes, but other conditions cause it, too, or we wouldn't have antibiotic resistance.

But the expermenters didn't consider the mechanism your referring to as relevant.  So either they ignored it because it;
a) Didn't fit the model of the bug alteration/adaptation
b) They weren't aware of it
c) If they included it in their write-up it would introduce a contradictory result in their conclusions so they had to hide any type of linkage with "antibiotic resistance mechanisms"

I choose a) but who knows.  c) has a certain allure, and who can "trust" the Japanese after WWII anyway.

Anyway, on to my redirection statement.
I'm through with Spetner as a viable counter-pointer.  His ideas were shown to be incomplete when faced with the factual evidence of the nylon bug.  He may raise some philisophical questions but his science, to say the least, sucks.

Your statement on "intelligent designed" experiment is revealing.  Here's some questions based upon the experiment.  The questions should be answered with your (admittedly) limited understanding of some of the subjects.  Feelings or vague explanations are fine.  Ignore the experimenters conclusions but look at the facts.  The experimental set-up, the process of feeding the bugs, the measuring and identification methods, and the measured results.

1)  What part of the experimental results (NOTE: not the expermenters conclusions) were the result of intelligence/intelligent design/purposeful direction/etc...?

2)  What is the estimated probability (rough WAG) of this experimental result being repeated by another lab?

3)  Could another experiment use a totally different starting bug and still end up with a nylon eating bug at the end?

Looking at the facts can be revealing at times.

Mike PSS

Fractatious

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 04 2007,00:04   

Hello, Avocationist.

Below is the chronology of our discussion (if it can be called that):

Found here is: "Other dimensions are not supernatural. They are very much part of your reality. I personally think the subquantum, sub-planck-length may be a divide into another, smaller dimension. That you can't perceive it means little. Can you hear a dog whistle? Can you see xrays?"

My response here is: "Anyway, heading towards a more reductionist view (it seems) how would Planck and Classical Quantum (Gauge Field) be divided into smaller microstats?"

Followed here with your: "could you clarify your question?"

Followed with my: "I honestly have forgotten what it specifically related too except some vague memory of "beyond quantum". That being said (and my being rather lazy at the moment to go back through the thread to recheck) - is there anything smaller than quanta?"

Which has eventually lead us to this:

You do love to talk over my head. I never said that science would accept other dimensions without proof, or at least clues to their existence. I merely mentioned other dimensions for reasons I have long since forgotten, and got a response from somebody, as though it were a silly or magical idea. And my point was that IF there are other dimensions, they will be just as real and just as much part of our reality as the three or four we currently approve of. And they came back with the problem that we can't see them. So then my point was, don't let that be such a barrier, in light of what we have already discovered that was unseen or dreamt of a mere 2 or 3 or so hundred years ago.

As to whether there is anything smaller than quanta, I am not sure. A quanta is the smallest unit of energy? If it is the smallest unit, then by definition there is nothing smaller. Where do the proposed strings fit into this picture? By the way, the book I mentioned reading is called Beyond The Big Bang.

At any rate, I'm perpelxed by your last post (in English, that is). I didn't know about a Biblical ID model. I guess there could be one. But why did you post it? If I would look for ancient wisdom as regards cosmology or human history,  I'd probably look at Hindu sources.

I find the Biblical Genesis creation mythos rather nice, and reasonably compatible with science, and open to many different possible interpretations.

You are obviously confusing discussions. I answered a post made about Superstrings - but it was not in this direct dialogue (view above). You mentioned sub-quanta and sub-Planck So I suppose we should look at what "sub" means in this context:

sub-
pref.

Below; under; beneath: subcutaneous.
Subordinate; secondary: subinfection.
Subdivision: subkingdom.
Less than completely or normally; nearly; almost: subfertility.

sub. (n.d.). The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary. Retrieved February 03, 2007, from Dictionary.com website: [URL=http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sub

What is below or beneath quanta and planck?

That would be the easiest way of of addressing that.

Fractatious

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 04 2007,00:07   

At any rate, I'm perpelxed by your last post (in English, that is). I didn't know about a Biblical ID model. I guess there could be one. But why did you post it?

I was responding to someone else, However its not so much the biblical content of it - its that it tries to employ scientific methodology.

demallien

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 04 2007,00:30   

Quote (avocationist @ Feb. 03 2007,18:46)
Demallion,

You ask how I can explain why the process listed above isn't sufficient. First off, there is no process listed above, except that that author of that quote (and I have stressed this twice now that it wasn't me) believes that further mutations could accomplish an IC system. An unspecified IC system. So somebody says that he sees no reason why more mutations couldn't accomplish an IC system.

So what you are asking is why don't I think the mechanism of NDE, which is really random mutation, isn't sufficient. I hope you realize it's a pretty big question.

Of course, finding it insufficient, I then have to wonder - so what the heck did happen? Wouldn't we all like to know.

Let me point out that the scepticism over NDE isn't that small adjustments like that don't happen, but that they can lead to new body plans, or IC systems.

Avocationist,

OK, so your two objections are speciation and irreducible complexity?  I ask, because this statement was made in the passive voice in your last comment.

Anyway, assuming that these are in fact your objections (why raise them if not?), I'll try to address them.

Firstly, speciation (again, your phrase was "new body plan", but I assume that we are actually talking about speciation, correct me if I'm wrong).  From a ToE perspective, speciation is just two populations that are reproductively seperated accumulating mutations up to the point where the two populations can no longer interbreed - at which point you have a new species.

You are aware of course that major changes can be caused to a "body plan" by simple one off mutations, aren't you?  Look up 'homeobox' on wikipedia for a good discussion.  Of course, most mutations of this type produce non-functional body parts, but once the base change to the body plan has been obtained, I'm hopeful that you would agree that standard evolution could add in incremental functionality bit by bit.

I'm happy to go into further detail on this if you wish, but in general, my point is that changes to body plan can change dramatically in response to point mutations.  That, plus speciation as I have described above is all that is necessary to go from a 6 legged insect for example, to an 8 legged arachnid...

As for IC, what can I say but bah humbug.  This canard has been refuted so many times that I don't understand how it can still be getting discussed. Basically, imagine the following hypothetical:  There is a function performed by a cell-level machine, and this machine requires 20 separate components.  Through mutation the cellulaire machine acquires a new capability which is far more advantageous than the capability of the old machine - the organism can eat a wider range of foods for example.

But the thing is, all of those parts that were there for the original function just aren't needed for the new function, which only needs 13 parts to be functional.  So those unneeded are quietly dropped by evolution, one by one, inthe interest of efficiency (the energy used to build unneeded machine parts could be used elsewhere).  Eventually, we arrive at a point where only the needed 13 parts are left in the machine.

A human observer that arrives at this point may be left wondering how such a machine, which apparently would need all 13 parts to be developed at once, could possibly have evolved.  That is pretty much the argument for IC.  ID theory holds that something which is IC is proof against evolution.  As my hypothetical machine described above demonstrates however, this is not true.  To invalidate evolution, you would actually have to show that there is no step by step evolutionary pathway to arrive at the IC system.  No-one has ever successfully been able to do this.

You may like to ask yourself why ID researchers aren't actively trying to nail down such a system.  It's an obvious avenue of research, and as a bonus, it would actually be scientific refutation of the theory of evolution.  But, despite having had this flaw in IC explained to them over and over again, they haven't even changed from IC to "Non-incremental pathways".  Apparently even the ID movement itself doesn't take IC seriously enough to bother researching it.  I suggest you do the same and throw IC out the window as an idea.

PS: there's no 'o' in my pseudo...

Fractatious

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 04 2007,00:42   

Avocationist,

"Beyond the Big Bang" is that by Odenwald or La Violette? Or some other person?

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 04 2007,01:12   

You may like to ask yourself why ID researchers aren't actively trying to nail down such a system.  It's an obvious avenue of research, and as a bonus, it would actually be scientific refutation of the theory of evolution.  But, despite having had this flaw in IC explained to them over and over again, they haven't even changed from IC to "Non-incremental pathways".  Apparently even the ID movement itself doesn't take IC seriously enough to bother researching it.  I suggest you do the same and throw IC out the window as an idea.

why, it's because they don't need to of course, Behe just magically waives his hands and pronounces a system like the immune system, IC.  then, the stone tablet of IC pronouncement is passed down to the ID masses as law.  Moreover, stone tablets weigh more than a thousand actual research papers that completely negate the pronouncement, so any follower of ID can safely ignore any relevant research contrary to a Behe pronouncement.

see how simple and efficient it is?  no wasted tax dollars on research.

it just obviously IS.  why bother to research the fact that the sky is blue?

It's just BLUE.

duh.

;)

p.s.  (glad to see you have moved on)

--------------

-CC

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 04 2007,01:16   

Quote (Fractatious @ Feb. 04 2007,00:42)
Avocationist,

if you've been following the Dilbert/Pharyngula wars lately, you might conclude it was written by Scott Adams.

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyng....arn.php

--------------

-CC

demallien

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 04 2007,03:42   

Quote (Ichthyic @ Feb. 04 2007,01:12)
p.s.  (glad to see you have moved on)

Heh :-)  But then, my point has always been that this discussion with Avocationist would be better if it was a bit more civilised...

Fractatious

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 04 2007,05:09   

Quote (Ichthyic @ Feb. 04 2007,20:16)
Quote (Fractatious @ Feb. 04 2007,00:42)
Avocationist,

if you've been following the Dilbert/Pharyngula wars lately, you might conclude it was written by Scott Adams.

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyng....arn.php

That sounds like it fell out of the 1987 pages of Odenwald  ???

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 04 2007,07:54   

Dudes, this is like discussing Einsteinian relativity with your parakeet.

(shrug)

--------------
Editor, Red and Black Publishers
www.RedandBlackPublishers.com

Fractatious

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 04 2007,12:11   

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ Feb. 05 2007,02:54)

(shrug)

Parakeets are cute until they become repititious and you have to blow its head off *sighs*

Mike PSS

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 04 2007,14:30   

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ Feb. 04 2007,08:54)

(shrug)

But Lenny.  Some of us enjoy the subtle give-and-take instead of the amphetiemine driven drive-by or the drunken brawl.

For example from my last post.

Quote (Avo @ Yesterday)
It sounds like they (the experimenters) knew what they were going for in advance?

Yes, most experiments tend to have a conclusion in mind.  So why carry out the experiment in the first place?  Hmmmm.....
(An obvious stick appears and hits me over the head)
Because the results may NOT be what the experimenters assume.  And THIS is what leads to discovery.

I'm not saying the question was stupid, or ignorant, or silly.  I'm just saying that the answer is obvious, if you understand the scientific method.  That's all.

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 04 2007,15:19   

Avocationist--

Please keep in mind that if you cite mathematical arguments against evolutionary mechanisms, you must show both the assumptions and the derivations behind the calculations. It's not enough to say, "Well, Spetner claims that this change is very unlikely" unless we know how Spetner calculated the probability. This is particularly important when someone shows an experimental result that achieves what Spetner says is very unlikely, as Mike PSS has done. According to Spetner, evolution of the second enzyme would be nearly impossible under a three month period unless Something was guiding the mutation process, yet the second enzyme was produced by tweaking the selective environment, and not tweaking the response to that environment. The scientists did not guide the bacteria's response to that environment. This suggests that at least one of Spetner's assumptions is very flawed.

--------------
Dey can't 'andle my riddim.

avocationist

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 04 2007,15:33   

Serendipity,

The Biblical site you quote seems to be saying they are superior to ID in that they have a more detailed presentation. Well, sure they do, since they have revealed text to go on. In a similar way, NDE, which I see as the other side of the coin to Biblical creationism - has a more complete theory - not much evidence to prove it but a nice, detailed theory. Lots of times I see the objection that someone or other wants to believe one theory over another because it has a fuller explanation. Never mind whether it holds water. But few have the intestinal fortitude to maintain the "I don't know" position when appropriate. This is one reason I find ID the most rational and scientific of the three competitors. They work with what they've got, not their imagination.

What is below or beneath quanta and planck?

I seem to remember when reading up a bit on string theory and quantum mechanics the use of the term subquantum, and that planck length was a sort of natural behavioral divide, and much talk of quantum weirdness. Since string theory proposes tiny dimensions, it occured to me that the onset of quantum weirdness might signal entry into a smaller dimension, and perhaps planck length is where it begins.
The author is La Violette.

Ichthyic,

No, I've never been in a position to present a scientific model. and no, I don't need endless links to a lot of technical papers. I rather prefer to read the ideas as summarized by the experts on both sides, and see what each side has to say to the other. Now, if you have some particular point from a particular paper, cut and paste it.

And may I remind you and others that I did not come here to convince you of ID or any other particular agenda. I came to the Uncommonly Dense thread, in which there is the occasional good point dispersed with utter inanity as though you were boasting about how impervious you (plural) can be no matter the evidence - in a spirit of friendliness to let you know I disagree with the moderation policy of UD. Which I am beginning to rethink. At which point the hungry jackals here began to accost me with questions about how in the world I can walk and chew gum and ascribe to ID. So I try to answer and am told that I am dishonest and horribly disrespectful for daring to disagree with certain experts. Such appeals for submission to authority only increase the dismality of this whole thread.

Demallien,

From a ToE perspective, speciation is just two populations that are reproductively seperated accumulating mutations up to the point where the two populations can no longer interbreed - at which point you have a new species.
Yes, but have you noticed how undetailed that is? Have you read any of the objections to it? Where have we ever seen any interesting new incipient species arising these past few thousand years?  I conservatively estimate 4 new species a year. And I don't mean species like fruit flies that can't be told apart or mice that may or may not still breed with each other.  

You are aware of course that major changes can be caused to a "body plan" by simple one off mutations, aren't you?
Yeah, there was that pro-evolution film that Disco Institute was in an uproar about two years ago or so. How come all the evidence that they could come up with was a fruit fly with disability? How come all the human efforts at causing mutation couldn't come up with anything interesting or useful or different?

but once the base change to the body plan has been obtained, I'm hopeful that you would agree that standard evolution could add in incremental functionality bit by bit.
No I am not able to agree because there isn't any evidence for it, and what NDE has to say about that is that we can't watch it. So evidence is forever lost. The amount of rewiring and restructuring that would have to go on to add each and every new body part is staggering. Highly coordinated. Unknown vast number of changes to the DNA. And maybe not only DNA but epigenetic factors we are only now slowly becoming aware of. I believe I atually have a copy of Meyer's paper somewhere on this.

As for IC, what can I say but bah humbug.  This canard has been refuted so many times that I don't understand how it can still be getting discussed.

Really? Now that is news. I'd like to see just one.

Basically, imagine the following hypothetical:  There is a function performed by a cell-level machine, and this machine requires 20 separate components.  Through mutation the cellulaire machine acquires a new capability which is far more advantageous than the capability of the old machine - the organism can eat a wider range of foods for example.

But the thing is, all of those parts that were there for the original function just aren't needed for the new function, which only needs 13 parts to be functional.  So those unneeded are quietly dropped by evolution, one by one, inthe interest of efficiency (the energy used to build unneeded machine parts could be used elsewhere).  Eventually, we arrive at a point where only the needed 13 parts are left in the machine.

Ha! I've got your number! You're actually on my side! You are posing as anti-ID but you're really kidding, right? In case you're not...no, surely you jest.

So that means that the explanation of the flagellum with it's 40 proteins and several interrelated parts is that it is a degeneration from a BIGGER machine with pehaps 50 or 60 parts, and that explains how it got here!! Neat.

To invalidate evolution, you would actually have to show that there is no step by step evolutionary pathway to arrive at the IC system.  No-one has ever successfully been able to do this.
Contrariwise, it would be necessary in order to pose that no need for any intelligent input into manifestly complex systems is required, to show how such a step-by-step pathway could happen.

Of course they have attempted this very thing to their utmost, but I don't think it is considered possible to prove a negative. It is possible to show that it is logically indefensible to rely on something with so little probability, and that not just once here or there, but thousands and millions of times in the course of evolution.

jeannot

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 04 2007,15:48   

Quote (avocationist @ Feb. 04 2007,15:33)
Demallien,

From a ToE perspective, speciation is just two populations that are reproductively seperated accumulating mutations up to the point where the two populations can no longer interbreed - at which point you have a new species.
Yes, but have you noticed how undetailed that is?

Is that a joke?
Have you read any of the objections to it? Where have we ever seen any interesting new incipient species arising these past few thousand years?

There are thousands articles and dozens of books on speciation, they examine both mathematical and biological models.
I conservatively estimate 4 new species a year

Where did you get that estimation?

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 04 2007,16:00   

Quote (avocationist @ Feb. 04 2007,16:33)
Of course they have attempted this very thing to their utmost, but I don't think it is considered possible to prove a negative. It is possible to show that it is logically indefensible to rely on something with so little probability, and that not just once here or there, but thousands and millions of times in the course of evolution.

The probabilistic arguments against evolution are trivially false. But what strikes me as funny here is the whole 'you can't prove a negative' business.

Avocationist: There's a dinosaur in your underpants!
Steve: (looks) There is no dinosaur in my underpants.
Avocationist: Aha! That's a negative, you can't prove a negative!
Steve: Do you by any chance know AFDave?

avocationist

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 04 2007,16:12   

Mike,

Yes, most experiments tend to have a conclusion in mind.  So why carry out the experiment in the first place?  Hmmmm...
Yes, of course I realize they were trying to induce mutations to allow the bug to eat nylon. My surprise was that they seemed to know about the need for the first enzyme mutation, and they artificially supported the two tier process to providing food for the middle step, indicating that they didn't expect success if they simply put the bug on the nylon. No doubt, in the original strain at the factory dump, the fact that there were multiple substrates available, took care of the problem. Nonetheless, in order to recreate it, they did indeed engage in some human assistance, intelligently applied.

So it appears that Spetner was talking about an earlier experiment, not this one. But your emphasis that it happened in a very short time only decreases the probabilities.
How?  Show me the math.  Otherwise your handwaving here.
Speaking of things which are obvious...I don't know how to calculate probabilities, but that won't be necessary. Let's say you need a mutation, and your chances of hitting it are one in a thousand. Would you be more likely to be successful if you have 3 months or three years?

Spetner is correct in saying that a nylon eating bug that eats nylon strands in your car needs both mutations to survive BUT HE IS INCORRECT IN RELATING THAT POINT BACK TO THE SOUP WHERE THE BUGS WERE ORIGINALLY FOUND.  He has no clue about how the first mutation for enzyme1 interacted with all the messy intermediaries in the chemical ooze.
OK, but is he wrong that the two mutations occured? His calculations involve the full thirty years of time. His point was merely that two separate mutations events were required.

The two original bugs are referenced.  They started with a bug called PAO1 that had no nylon eating characteristics at all.
Yeah, I stated that wrong. When I said first, I meant 5501, the first of the mutant strains.

Luck plays no part in THIS game.
So it's a determined process?

But the expermenters didn't consider the mechanism your referring to as relevant...
I choose a) but who knows.  c) has a certain allure, and who can "trust" the Japanese after WWII anyway.

Point being, there begins to be some interesting things turning up about how these one-celled organisms deal with various stressors, that they seem to have yet another confoundingly organized and convenient way of knowing when and how to solve problems by altering their genomes in a controlled way. I do realize that antibiotics were not a factor in this particular experiment.

It's not only that the ceaseless hostility is hard to take and takes the fun out, but worse, it lets me know that I am not in a rational environment.

1)  What part of the experimental results (NOTE: not the expermenters conclusions) were the result of intelligence/intelligent design/purposeful direction/etc...?

The part where they set up the parameters of the experiment itself and the part where they carefully supported the first mutants so they would not die until they became the second mutants. And perhaps also, the one-celled organisms themselves, and their ability to direct mutations uncannily at the right time.

2)  What is the estimated probability (rough WAG) of this experimental result being repeated by another lab?

I'd say it is extremely high.

3)  Could another experiment use a totally different starting bug and still end up with a nylon eating bug at the end?
I have no idea but I can only suppose that at least several could do it. There must be reasons why some organisms are closer to that talent than others.

459 replies since Jan. 22 2007,04:54 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (16) < ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]