RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (202) < ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 ... >   
  Topic: AF Dave's UPDATED Creator God Hypothesis, Creation/Evolution Debate< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Rilke's Granddaughter

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,04:58   

George, AFDave makes anyone ashamed to be a Christian.  He's the finest recruiter for atheism I've ever seen.

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,05:02   

CARBON 14 IN COAL AND DIAMONDS: EVIDENCE FOR A YOUNG EARTH

I think I have beat the Helium-Zircon thing to death and I won't be so bold as to claim victory in the sense that I have proven long ages are wrong with this one experiment.  But I will say that it is a very interesting experiment and it is quite impressive that Humphreys was able to predict the diffusion rates so accurately.  I think Henke's rebuttals are extremely weak ... especially the ones about vacuum testing, the temperature history and supposedly 'fudging' data.  This becomes very clear if you read the books.  The only objection that holds any water in my opinion is the infiltration question, which again is very weak.  We shall see what future data brings to light in regard to this question.

So on to C14 in Coal and Diamonds ...

This is an article written for IMPACT, which is ICR's free monthly newsletter.  I have the RATE Books from which this information came, so if anyone has any questions about this article, I can answer them ...  

Carbon Dating Undercuts Evolution's Long Ages (Impact #364)
by John Baumgardner, Ph.D.

Evolutionists generally feel secure even in the face of compelling creationist arguments today because of their utter confidence in the geological time scale. Even if they cannot provide a naturalistic mechanism, they appeal to the "fact of evolution," by which they mean an interpretation of earth history with a succession of different types of plants and animals in a drama spanning hundreds of millions of years.

The Bible, by contrast, paints a radically different picture of our planet's history. In particular, it describes a time when God catastrophically destroyed the earth and essentially all its life. The only consistent way to interpret the geological record in light of this event is to understand that fossil-bearing rocks are the result of a massive global Flood that occurred only a few thousand years ago and lasted but a year. This Biblical interpretation of the rock record implies that the animals and plants preserved as fossils were all contemporaries. This means trilobites, dinosaurs, and mammals all dwelled on the planet simultaneously, and they perished together in this world-destroying cataclysm.

Although creationists have long pointed out the rock formations themselves testify unmistakably to water catastrophism on a global scale, evolutionists generally have ignored this testimony. This is partly due to the legacy of the doctrine of uniformitarianism passed down from one generation of geologists to the next since the time of Charles Lyell in the early nineteenth century. Uniformitarianism assumes that the vast amount of geological change recorded in the rocks is the product of slow and uniform processes operating over an immense span of time, as opposed to a global cataclysm of the type described in the Bible and other ancient texts.

With the discovery of radioactivity about a hundred years ago, evolutionists deeply committed to the uniformitarian outlook believed they finally had proof of the immense antiquity of the earth. In particular, they discovered the very slow nuclear decay rates of elements like Uranium while observing considerable amounts of the daughter products from such decay. They interpreted these discoveries as vindicating both uniformitarianism and evolution, which led to the domination of these beliefs in academic circles around the world throughout the twentieth century.

However, modern technology has produced a major fly in that uniformitarian ointment. A key technical advance, which occurred about 25 years ago, involved the ability to measure the ratio of 14C atoms to 12C atoms with extreme precision in very small samples of carbon, using an ion beam accelerator and a mass spectrometer. Prior to the advent of this accelerator mass spectrometer (AMS) method, the 14C/12C ratio was measured by counting the number of 14C decays. This earlier method was subject to considerable "noise" from cosmic rays.

The AMS method improved the sensitivity of the raw measurement of the 14C/12C ratio from approximately 1% of the modern value to about 0.001%, extending the theoretical range of sensitivity from about 40,000 years to about 90,000 years. The expectation was that this improvement in precision would make it possible to use this technique to date dramatically older fossil material.1 The big surprise, however, was that no fossil material could be found anywhere that had as little as 0.001% of the modern value!2 Since most of the scientists involved assumed the standard geological time scale was correct, the obvious explanation for the 14C they were detecting in their samples was contamination from some source of modern carbon with its high level of 14C. Therefore they mounted a major campaign to discover and eliminate the sources of such contamination. Although they identified and corrected a few relatively minor sources of 14C contamination, there still remained a significant level of 14C—typically about 100 times the ultimate sensitivity of the instrument—in samples that should have been utterly "14C-dead," including many from the deeper levels of the fossil-bearing part of the geological record.2

Let us consider what the AMS measurements imply from a quantitative standpoint. The ratio of 14C atoms to 12C atoms decreases by a factor of 2 every 5730 years. After 20 half-lives or 114,700 years (assuming hypothetically that earth history goes back that far), the 14C/12C ratio is decreased by a factor of 220, or about 1,000,000. After 1.5 million years, the ratio is diminished by a factor of 2^(1500000/5730), or about 1079. This means that if one started with an amount of pure 14C equal to the mass of the entire observable universe, after 1.5 million years there should not be a single atom of 14C remaining! Routinely finding 14C/12C ratios on the order of 0.1-0.5% of the modern value—a hundred times or more above the AMS detection threshold—in samples supposedly tens to hundreds of millions of years old is therefore a huge anomaly for the uniformitarian framework.

This earnest effort to understand this "contamination problem" therefore generated scores of peer-reviewed papers in the standard radiocarbon literature during the last 20 years.2 Most of these papers acknowledge that most of the 14C in the samples studied appear to be intrinsic to the samples themselves, and they usually offer no explanation for its origin. The reality of significant levels of 14C in a wide variety of fossil sources from throughout the geological record has thus been established in the secular scientific literature by scientists who assume the standard geological time scale is valid and have no special desire for this result!

In view of the profound significance of these AMS 14C measurements, the ICR Radioisotopes and the Age of the Earth (RATE) team has undertaken its own AMS 14C analyses of such fossil material.2 The first set of samples consisted of ten coals obtained from the U. S. Department of Energy Coal Sample Bank maintained at the Pennsylvania State University. The ten samples include three coals from the Eocene part of the geological record, three from the Cretaceous, and four from the Pennsylvanian. These samples were analyzed by one of the foremost AMS laboratories in the world. Figure 1 below shows in histogram form the results of these analyses.

These values fall squarely within the range already established in the peer-reviewed radiocarbon literature. When we average our results over each geological interval, we obtain remarkably similar values of 0.26 percent modern carbon (pmc) for Eocene, 0.21 pmc for Cretaceous, and 0.27 pmc for Pennsylvanian. Although the number of samples is small, we observe little difference in 14C level as a function of position in the geological record. This is consistent with the young-earth view that the entire macrofossil record up to the upper Cenozoic is the product of the Genesis Flood and therefore such fossils should share a common 14C age.

Applying the uniformitarian approach of extrapolating 14C decay into the indefinite past translates the measured 14C/12C ratios into ages that are on the order of 50,000 years: 2^(-50000/5730) = 0.0024 = 0.24 pmc. However, uniformitarian assumptions are inappropriate when one considers that the Genesis Flood removed vast amounts of living biomass from exchange with the atmosphere—organic material that now forms the earth's vast coal, oil, and oil shale deposits. A conservative estimate for the pre-Flood biomass is 100 times that of today. If one takes as a rough estimate for the total 14C in the biosphere before the cataclysm as 40% of what exists today and assumes a relatively uniform 14C level throughout the pre-Flood atmosphere and biomass, then we might expect a 14C/12C ratio of about 0.4% (40%/100) of today's value in the plants and animals at the onset of the Flood. With this more realistic pre-Flood 14C/12C ratio, we find that a value of 0.24 pmc corresponds to an age of only 4200 years: 0.004 x 2^(-4200/5730) = 0.0024 = 0.24 pmc). Even though these estimates are rough, they illustrate the crucial importance of accounting for effects of the Flood cataclysm when translating a 14C/12C ratio into an actual age.

[Discussion of 'How can we throw out all the radio-isotope ages?']

The bottom line of this research is that the case is now extremely compelling that the fossil record was produced just a few thousand years ago by the global Flood cataclysm. The evidence that reveals that macroevolution as an explanation for the origin of life on earth can therefore no longer be rationally defended.

http://www.icr.org/index.p....&ID=117

So what we have is coal which is supposedly very old (50 million to 350 million years old) giving Carbon 14 dates on the order of 50,000 years (uncorrected for the Flood)!!

Wow!  What do we do with that??!!

If this is not bad enough for long agers, the RATE Report goes on to report c14 in diamonds with roughly half that found in coal (about 0.12% on average).  Of course, diamonds are supposed to be much older than coal, but these C14 levels indicate an age of only 55,000 or so!!

What's going on??!!

Arden...  
Could you explain something, please? If 'the USA was founded as a Christian nation', then why do the Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights fail to mention Christianity in any way?
Read "Original Intent" and "The Myth of Separation" by David Barton of Wallbuilders.  Or start a new thread on this topic ... maybe I will find time to respond.

Improvius...  
Perfect, that's exactly what I was expecting.  So in order to test your hypothesis, you simply throw out any and all data that conflicts with it, then keep whatever anomolous and/or erroneous scraps remain.  I very much like the analogy of throwing out the signal and listening to the noise.
I'm sure you will disagree, but for the rest of us, it is perfectly clear that this is your methodology.
No.  Actually YOU are throwing out the huge signals that a) there was a Global Flood and b) current dating methods have bad assumptions among other things.

Eric...  
Dave, he didn't predict the diffusion rate over time, which is critically important to determining the age of the zircons. He didn't predict it, and he still doesn't know it. No one knows it, which is why everyone knows Humphreys' conclusions are suspect. Without knowing the diffusion rate into and out of the zircons throughout the entire time since their formation, he can draw no conclusions about how old they are. That's the entire point you don't seem to be getting.
No.  He predicted what it would be as a function of temperature when it was experimentally measured.  He made his prediction based upon his hypothesis of recent creation and one or more accelerated nuclear decay events.  The enormous point that you don't seem to be getting is "How in the world can there possibly be so much Helium left in these zircons?"  It shouldn't be there if they are 1.5 Ga.

Ichthyic...  
what exactly do you contribute? You can't teach. you're retired from business. Your're dumber than a box of rocks. so what is it, exactly, that you think you contribute to american society at large? Ever considered maybe you're just a waste of space?
Said by someone who has contributed exactly ZERO sciency information to this thread.  Said by someone who sometimes uses proper capitalization, sometimes not.  Very telling.

AFDave...  
I do.  It's called the SAT Test.  You go find the gorilla and the chimp.  I'll provide the human, the SAT test and the testing room. We'll give them each the same amount of time.
You all do have a good point ... namely, that it is probably not good semantics to talk about "non-biological differences."  I do need a different word.  Maybe "intangible differences"?  I don't know.  In any case, here's the deal.  My point is simply that if one is to look beyond the genetic similarity, one will see huge differences between humans and both apes in question, while the differences between the apes is very minor by comparison.  And the SAT Test would be a good indicator of this, but it would not be a fair test to use a 2 year old human and other such 'equalizers' to perform the test.  The test should be conducted on adult specimens who have been in their natural environment.  If you like, (and have the time) go get a newborn gorilla, chimp and human, then raise them together and give them all the same 'educational advantages' such as private school, piano lessons, little league baseball, etc.  

I predict that even the slowest people on this thread will detect enormous differences between the humans and both apes by 8 years of age.  In contrast to this, I predict that the gorilla and the chimp will behave in much the same way.

Do I have any volunteers to do this experiment?  I would even pay big money to see you try it.

Eric...  
Sure, Dave. As soon as you explain to me why we should assume that both the 737 and the A-320 are more closely related than either is to the CH-47.
Wow.  You're serious aren't you.  OK.  The 737 and A-320 are more closely related because they share more common design features: jet engines, fixed wings, 100+ passenger seats, swept wings, to name a few. They are closer to each other than to the Chinook because the Chinook has a very different design: rotary wing, no jet used for forward propulsion, vertical flight capability, etc.  Compare this to our human and two ape scenario:  to say it simply, the apes both act like 'animals' and the human does not.  Yes, it's really that simple.  Apes don't use complex language like we do, don't build civilizations, don't write scientific papers, don't compose 'Beethoven's 5th', etc. etc.  It really blows my mind that we could be having this discussion, because this stuff is just so obvious to me.

Clamboy...  
"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."
If anyone wants to discuss this further, I suggest a new thread, but suffice to say now that you should read David Barton's "Original Intent."  Then you would see the context of this Treaty.  Context means a lot in case you have not realized this before.  In this case they were trying to reassure the 'Mahometans' that America was not like the imperialistic Christian nations of Europe who sent crusade against the 'Mahometans.'

There are voluminous amounts of information which speak of the 'Christian-ness' of the founding of America.  Read Barton.

Eric...  
I just wish one of these days he'd give us a sample of the "massive evidence for a global flood" he says he has.
If you want a head start, go buy "The Genesis Flood" by Morris and Whitcomb.  You know.  One of those actual BOOKS like you guys keep telling me to buy.

JonF...  
Yet he never establishes a connection between hardness and diffusivity.  Why is that? Because, as has been pointed out many times, hardness does not correlaate with diffusivity.  Humphreys is presenting a red herring.
No. It is because this is irrelevant.  Henke objects to vacuum testing.  Humphreys responds by showing that vacuum testing is legitimate because it has very little effect on diffusivity in hard materials.

JonF...  
The real beauty (if there is any) of the experiment is that, if (and that's a big if) it can be replicated in other studies and on other zircons, RATE may have come up with an interesting anomaly.
But of course, very few will be motivated to do similar experiments other than the RATE team because most scientists don't want their idea of long ages dislodged.

JonF...  
The argument is over whether or not Humphreys' assertions and arm-waving are sufficient evidence for knowing all the relevant values and discarding hundreds of thousands, possibly millions, of independently obtained and cross-correlated and consistent evidence.  I don't think so.
I agree that this one experiment should not by itself throw out long age dating.  But there are 2 other very good RATE experiments which I have not discussed which add to the case for a young earth.  What the RATE Group is really saying is 'Look, guys.  Long age theory has problems.  Here's 3 (or more) big problems.  Let's do more research in these areas.'  Then of course, you have many, many other non-radiometric indicators of a young earth (which the RATE project doesn't even address) and which I have only just barely touched upon.

Chris Hyland...  
I can't remeber if I have asked you this before, but do you think it's feasable that one single species of ape/monkeys evolved into all the species in the world in a few thousand years?
My guess is that there was a 'monkey kind' and an 'ape kind' aboard the ark, and yes, 4500 years is plenty of time for all the varieties we see today to have come about.

George...  
I've a follow-up question.  Can a person be a Christian and accept the theory of evolution?  In other words, can a person be like me?- I'm one of the 6 Christians in the poll.
I should think so.  Why would a person not be able to be a Christian while believing in evolution?
George...  
Personally, I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that a YEC cannot be a real Christian, but can only be some sort of book-worshipping cultist.  The meat of God's message doesn't really matter to you does it?  Only the words actually written in your favourite translation (KJ?) of the Bible.
Actually, my favorite 'translation' of the OT is the Hebrew, which is not a translation of course.  But I have to rely on Hebrew scholars to read it for me since I do not know Hebrew.  I do not worship the book and I am not a cultist.  I lead a very normal life in American society.  I simply realize that the Bible has proven itself to be a very accurate document in the areas that we CAN verify when the archaeological evidence is examined.  So it makes me suspect that it is very likely also true in the areas which we CANNOT verify.      
That's why, when confronted with scientific facts that conflict with the book, you and your fellow YECs can only respond with the most unChristian dishonesty:  hand-waving, ignoring opposing arguments, appeal to authorities you know are dubious, attempts to squirm through loopholes and even outright lies.
I think the opposite is true for the most part.  While it is true that some YECs are loonies and hypocrites, the YECs I have read for the most part seem much more honest and fair-minded when it comes to examining evidence that evolutionists and long age geologists.

Even better, YECs are even hypocrites when it comes to Biblical literalism.  Or do you really get your medical advice from the Book of Leviticus, Dave?
What in Leviticus are you referring to?

Dave, people like you (and GWB, but that's another story) almost make me ashamed to call myself a Christian. (Sorry about the outburst y'all, but I think Dave wears on everyone's patience.)
Sorry to hear that!  Stick with me and maybe you will change your mind.  If not now, maybe on your deathbed!

--------------
A DILEMMA FOR THE COMMITTED NATURALIST
A Hi-tech alien spaceship lands on earth ... DESIGNED.
A Hi-tech alien rotary motor found in a cell ... NOT DESIGNED.
http://afdave.wordpress.com/....ess.com

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,05:03   

dave, why do you think Denton has a "dillema"? He accepts evolution, but rejects natural selection as responsible for it. He's got it aaaaall figured out inside his head, just like you.

He's still wrong, of course, but at least he's not in the Absolute State of Denial that you are.

But of course, you can always ask him...

--------------
A look into DAVE HAWKINS' sense of honesty:

"The truth is that ALL mutations REDUCE information"

"...mutations can add information to a genome.  And remember, I have never said that this is not possible."

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,05:34   

Hey, Dr. Rilke--  You have to start making sense now ... no more nonsensical stuff!  :-)

--------------

Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,05:44   

Weird. According to the main board afdave is the last poster here. But I read george as the last post when I enter the thread.

EDIT: Sorry about that. Working fine now.

2nd EDIT: argy and improv, thanks guys (didn't wanna make a 2nd OT post).

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,05:56   

Classic Dave:
Quote (afdave @ June 16 2006,06:23)
I believe Faid is correct.  I have both books, but I just skimmed the evolution parts because, of course, evolution seems like a fairy tale to me.

--------------
2006 MVD award for most dogged defense of scientific sanity

"Atheism is a religion the same way NOT collecting stamps is a hobby." —Scott Adams

argystokes

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,06:02   

Stephen -

Check out the thread on board mechanics.  In short, you can find the invisible posts by changing the last number in the url.  For example:

CODE=02;f=14;t=1950 change to CODE=02;f=14;t=1958

--------------
"Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?" -Calvin

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,06:03   

Quote (afdave @ June 16 2006,10:02)
Eric...      
Dave, he didn't predict the diffusion rate over time, which is critically important to determining the age of the zircons. He didn't predict it, and he still doesn't know it. No one knows it, which is why everyone knows Humphreys' conclusions are suspect. Without knowing the diffusion rate into and out of the zircons throughout the entire time since their formation, he can draw no conclusions about how old they are. That's the entire point you don't seem to be getting.
No.  He predicted what it would be as a function of temperature when it was experimentally measured.  He made his prediction based upon his hypothesis of recent creation and one or more accelerated nuclear decay events.  The enormous point that you don't seem to be getting is "How in the world can there possibly be so much Helium left in these zircons?"  It shouldn't be there if they are 1.5 Ga.

And Dave, the point you don't seem to get is there's no way of knowing how much He should be in those zircons, and we've given you a dozen reasons why that is. He didn't pick Fenton Hills at random, Dave. We've told you why he picked Fenton Hills; it's because due to the geology of the area, he expected there to be a lot of helium in those zircons, and not because they're only 6,000 years old.

--------------

"Atheism is a religion the same way NOT collecting stamps is a hobby." —Scott Adams

improvius

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,06:04   

Quote (Stephen Elliott @ June 16 2006,10:44)
Weird. According to the main board afdave is the last poster here. But I read george as the last post when I enter the thread.

EDIT: Sorry about that. Working fine now.

The counter is a bit off.  You can get around this and see the latest posts by adding 10 to the start page in the url.  It's the last part of the URL - so instead of "st=2020" type in "st=2030".

EDIT: Argy beat me to it.

--------------
Quote (afdave @ Oct. 02 2006,18:37)
Many Jews were in comfortable oblivion about Hitler ... until it was too late.
Many scientists will persist in comfortable oblivion about their Creator ... until it is too late.

Rilke's Granddaughter

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,06:15   

Now Target-Drone Dave has started replying to himself:

AFDave...  
I do.  It's called the SAT Test.  You go find the gorilla and the chimp.  I'll provide the human, the SAT test and the testing room. We'll give them each the same amount of time.
You all do have a good point ... namely, that it is probably not good semantics to talk about "non-biological differences."  I do need a different word.  Maybe "intangible differences"?  I don't know.  In any case, here's the deal.  My point is simply that if one is to look beyond the genetic similarity, one will see huge differences between humans and both apes in question, while the differences between the apes is very minor by comparison.  And the SAT Test would be a good indicator of this, but it would not be a fair test to use a 2 year old human and other such 'equalizers' to perform the test

:p  :p  :p  :p  :p

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,06:18   

Eric...        
Sure, Dave. As soon as you explain to me why we should assume that both the 737 and the A-320 are more closely related than either is to the CH-47.
Wow.  You're serious aren't you.  OK.  The 737 and A-320 are more closely related because they share more common design features: jet engines, fixed wings, 100+ passenger seats, swept wings, to name a few. They are closer to each other than to the Chinook because the Chinook has a very different design: rotary wing, no jet used for forward propulsion, vertical flight capability, etc.  Compare this to our human and two ape scenario:  to say it simply, the apes both act like 'animals' and the human does not.  Yes, it's really that simple.  Apes don't use complex language like we do, don't build civilizations, don't write scientific papers, don't compose 'Beethoven's 5th', etc. etc.  It really blows my mind that we could be having this discussion, because this stuff is just so obvious to me.

Wow. Dave, I never expected this answer for you, because I expected you to at least see how obvious my trap was. No, the Airbus and the 737 are not more closely related than either is to the CH-47. For crying out loud, Dave, the 737 and the CH-47 are both manufactured by Boeing! The Airbus is by a completely different manufacturer that isn't even in the same country.

My point was, that appearances can be deceptive. The fact that you couldn't see my point is, well, kind of staggering. And it points up why you're not really qualified to have this discussion, and why your arguments are regularly being annihilated. Aside from not having the basic knowledge necessary to understand any of the areas of science we're discussing, you lack the basic reasoning ability (even in areas in which you do have expertise) that would allow you to become a scientist in the first place.

--------------

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,06:19   

Eric...
And Dave, the point you don't seem to get is there's no way of knowing how much He should be in those zircons, and we've given you a dozen reasons why that is. He didn't pick Fenton Hills at random, Dave. We've told you why he picked Fenton Hills; it's because due to the geology of the area, he expected there to be a lot of helium in those zircons, and not because they're only 6,000 years old.
That is total nonsense.   The truth is if you would actually study this experiment, that they picked this because it had already been drilled.  Did you not read that it was drilled in the 1970s in search of geothermal energy?

Gentry was just astute enough to notice that there was a lot of Helium in these zircons, so they got the idea to test the duffusion.

Why don't you do a literature to see if zircons in other locations have a lot of retained Helium?

--------------

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,06:41   

Quote (afdave @ June 16 2006,11:19)
That is total nonsense.   The truth is if you would actually study this experiment, that they picked this because it had already been drilled.  Did you not read that it was drilled in the 1970s in search of geothermal energy?

Gentry was just astute enough to notice that there was a lot of Helium in these zircons, so they got the idea to test the duffusion.

Why don't you do a literature to see if zircons in other locations have a lot of retained Helium?

In other words, Dave, Humphreys already knew the zircons would have a lot of He in them. He failed to eliminate all the non-magical reasons why there was still a lot of He in them, and leaped to the entirely unwarranted conclusion (already contradicted by other evidence) that the zircons were a few thousand years old.

Are you still amazed that the entire field of radiometric dating hasn't been overturned by the dubious results of this one experiment, Dave?

--------------

jeannot

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,06:47   

About 14C...
I'm note an expert, but you can't use 14C to date fossils that are more than 50 ky old.
When the level of 14C in a sample becomes close to zero, it just can't be measured with accuracy. The smallest error in the measure, or contamination, can completely alter the results. If one measures 0.00000000001% of 14C were one were supposed to detect 0, the error is indeed infinite. This is just obvious, but AIG takes this as an argument that the Earth is 6000 years old. They're pathetic.
And 14C can only be dosed in organic mater. Dating 1.5 My old fossils with this method is nonsense, and refering to this is just stupid. We have other radionuclides for that (Uranium, Strontium...). And of course, the author from AIG don't mention it.
He alos forgot the fact that fossils older than 6000 years have been precisely dated with radiocarbon.

Again, AFD provided a perfect example of dishonesty from AIG.

BTW, what do you think of dendrochronology, Dave?

JonF

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,06:48   

What's going on??!!

The simple answer is that, in these cases, the 14C/12C ratio has nothing to do with the age of the specimens.

RATE is making the unwarranted assumption that the 14C is derived from a source that was in equilibrium with the atmosphere when that carbon was last "trapped", and therefore has age significance.  We know there are other sources of 14C than the atmosphere.  The only issues are whether or not we know all of them and which one contributes in what proportion to each particular case.

Yet he never establishes a connection between hardness and diffusivity.  Why is that? Because, as has been pointed out many times, hardness does not correlaate with diffusivity.  Humphreys is presenting a red herring.
No. It is because this is irrelevant.  Henke objects to vacuum testing.  Humphreys responds by showing that vacuum testing is legitimate because it has very little effect on diffusivity in hard materials.

Yet Humphreys has not established that hardness is an appropriate parameter, and the evidence indicates that it is not.  IOW, hardness is irelevant.  Crystal structure, charge distribution, microcracking, dislocation density, ... are significant, but hardness is not.  IOW, hardness does not correlate with the effect of pressure on diffusion  and Humphreys has presented a red heering.

The real beauty (if there is any) of the experiment is that, if (and that's a big if) it can be replicated in other studies and on other zircons, RATE may have come up with an interesting anomaly.
But of course, very few will be motivated to do similar experiments other than the RATE team because most scientists don't want their idea of long ages dislodged.

Well, one could certainly argue over the reason that other labs will be motivated to do similar experiments, but they certainly won't be motivated as things stand now.  If RATE does a lot more experiments on a lot more zircons, especially those with a simpler history, and does more basic research on the assumptions they've made and come up with better justifications, then maybe they can get the attention of mainstream researchers. My bet is that they'll act just as they and other YEC "researchers" have in the past; they've come up with a nice story and fooled the choir, and no further work will be done.

The argument is over whether or not Humphreys' assertions and arm-waving are sufficient evidence for knowing all the relevant values and discarding hundreds of thousands, possibly millions, of independently obtained and cross-correlated and consistent evidence.  I don't think so.
I agree that this one experiment should not by itself throw out long age dating.  But there are 2 other very good RATE experiments which I have not discussed which add to the case for a young earth.  What the RATE Group is really saying is 'Look, guys.  Long age theory has problems.  Here's 3 (or more) big problems.  Let's do more research in these areas.'  Then of course, you have many, many other non-radiometric indicators of a young earth (which the RATE project doesn't even address) and which I have only just barely touched upon.

I'm familiar with most of the RATE research, and I bet I'm very familiar with your non-radiometric young-Earth "evidence" (in fact, I bet I'm far more familiarr with it than you are).  The helium in zircons thing might be an interesting anomaly but is, so far, very far from being evidence for a young Earth. 14C in coal and diamonds is flat-out not evidence for a young Earth. Polonium halos ditto.  A very few, statistically insignificant,  erroneous or anomolous K-Ar measurements are not ipso facto evidence for a young Earth or problems with radiometric dating, especially when the studies are performed by people with a known history of fraud in this area.  The non-radiometric "evidence" for a young Earth is 100% bovine excrement.

JonF

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,06:57   

Quote (afdave @ June 16 2006,11:19)
  The truth is if you would actually study this experiment, that they picked this because it had already been drilled.  Did you not read that it was drilled in the 1970s in search of geothermal energy?

Not enough of a reason, Davie-poo. There are lots of rock samples available that could be tested. They picked samples from an area with a complex thermal history and known high helium concentrations in the zircons.  If they wanted to establish a valid dating method, they'd use lots of zircons from lots of different areas and lots of different mainstream ages.  We'll see if they do that; bet they don't.

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,07:02   

Jeannot...
When the level of 14C in a sample becomes close to zero, it just can't be measured with accuracy.
You've got old information, Jeannot.  Modern AMS technology can detect it accurately down to around 0.025 pMC, 1/10 of the levels that we are talking about in the RATE samples.

In other words, the 0.25 pMC detected in the RATE coal samples (and by other scientists--do a quick literature search, Jeannot) is around 10X the accuracy threshhold of modern AMS equipment.

The amount detected in diamonds was around 5X the accuracy threshhold.

JonF...
The simple answer is that, in these cases, the 14C/12C ratio has nothing to do with the age of the specimens.
Says who?   Says scientist who WANT the earth to be very, very old.

RATE is making the unwarranted assumption that the 14C is derived from a source that was in equilibrium with the atmosphere when that carbon was last "trapped", and therefore has age significance.  We know there are other sources of 14C than the atmosphere.  The only issues are whether or not we know all of them and which one contributes in what proportion to each particular case.
Oh I see.  So now you get to accuse YECs of making unwarranted assumptions.  The difference is, I can defend RATE's assumptions.  I don't think you can defend your assumptions about radio-metric dating (when we get to that, and we will).

As for defending the RATE assumptions, you can't say we have not accounted for 'background 14C', because we have.  The numbers given already have that subtracted out by the lab.  

The truth is that the geochronology community has been scratching their heads ever since AMS was invented in the 80's.  They've been trying to explain this away and they cannot.

(Well, they could if they were YECs.)

JonF...
The non-radiometric "evidence" for a young Earth is 100% bovine excrement.
OK.  Fine.  We shall see.

--------------

Rilke's Granddaughter

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,07:19   

Do us a favor, Dave, and change your modus operandi.

You claimed:
Supply proof.  Prove that this statement isn't simply your personal opinion.  Show that these scientists actually WANT the earth's age to be that.

Make George proud to be a Christian: be ethical for a change.

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,07:20   

Hmmm...so JonF thinks Fenton Hill is an anomaly.

Let's do a quick Google Scholar search, shall we?

This is from a deep hole study so most of the data is N/A because Deep=Hot and Hot=Bye, bye Helium.

But we do have one shallower data point at 3900m depth, and it shows 5690 ncc/mg (5.7ncc/microgram).

Compare to the Fenton Hill data of 6.3 at 1490m depth, for example.

http://earth.geology.yale.edu/~pwr2/zirconpaper040401.pdf

Table, 2   page 22, Gold Butte data, column 5, bottom entry.

How much would they have found at 2000m or 1000m?  Am I doing my 'maths' right?  Did I overlook something here?

--------------

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,07:21   

Now wait a minute dave... Before you go on parroting AiG claims, I want to make something clear...
From the first pages of this thread, you overwhelmed us with quotes from Denton, praising him as the authority that would help us understand the errors of his evolutionary ways. You said he was one of those that helped open your eyes, iirc... and I can't even remember how many times you said we should buy his books, and read them to get things straight.

And now, you say you just skimmed through his second book, because you didn't really care what he had to say about evolution, since you already knew evolution was crap?

dave, when you blatantly admit things like these, how can you expect us to take you seriously?

--------------

"...mutations can add information to a genome.  And remember, I have never said that this is not possible."

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,07:27   

Quote (afdave @ June 16 2006,12:02)
Jeannot...    
When the level of 14C in a sample becomes close to zero, it just can't be measured with accuracy.
You've got old information, Jeannot.  Modern AMS technology can detect it accurately down to around 0.025 pMC, 1/10 of the levels that we are talking about in the RATE samples.

In other words, the 0.25 pMC detected in the RATE coal samples (and by other scientists--do a quick literature search, Jeannot) is around 10X the accuracy threshhold of modern AMS equipment.

The amount detected in diamonds was around 5X the accuracy threshhold.

Dave, that's not the point.

Established radiometric procedure states that C14 dates cannot be accurately determined for dates older than ~50,000 years. That's nine half-lives, Dave. It's not that the equipment can't detect C14 at that level; it's that at those low levels, you can no longer control for environmental contamination from other sources. RATE says they can, but just like Humphreys and his Fenton Hill zircons, they simply cannot. Their assumptions are wrong, not the entire scientific community's.

Now I want you to pay attention to something, Dave. Beyond 50,000 years, C-14 dating is known to be inaccurate (not because the equipment can't detect low levels of C14). Now, look at the dates RATE assigns for its coal and diamond samples: 50,000 years. Do you suppose this is entirely coincidental?

There's a reason C14 is not used to date objects hundreds of millions of years old. It's because C14 dating is known to be useless for those kinds of ages. It's not because the amount of C14 in objects of those ages is undetectable. It's because there are other sources of C14 that cannot be controlled for at those low levels.

This is why you need to stay away from AiG and ICR, Dave. They repeatedly lie to you, because they know they can get away with it. But the problem is, you like being lied to.

--------------

Rilke's Granddaughter

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,07:28   

Do us a favor, Dave, and change your modus operandi.

You claimed:

Supply proof.  Prove that this statement isn't simply your personal opinion.  Show that these scientists actually WANT the earth's age to be that.

Make George proud to be a Christian: be ethical for a change.

2nd time of asking.

JonF

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,07:29   

Quote (jeannot @ June 16 2006,11:47)
About 14C...
I'm note an expert, but you can't use 14C to date fossils that are more than 50 ky old. ...
When the level of 14C in a sample becomes close to zero, it just can't be measured with accuracy. The smallest error in the measure, or contamination, can completely alter the results. If one measures 0.00000000001% of 14C were one were supposed to detect 0, the error is indeed infinite. This is just obvious, but AIG takes this as an argument that the Earth is 6000 years old. They're pathetic.

The exact point at which radiocarbon dating (with today's extremely sensitive equipment) becomes unreliable is arguable; some would say 60K years, some would say noticably less.  But your accusation of the amounts being measured being too near the detection threshold or resolution limt of the equipment is incorrect.  There are levels of 14C in fossil fuels (and, I have no reason to doubt, in diamonds) that are not attributable to measurement errors or post-sample-selection-contamination.  From MEASURABLE 14C IN FOSSILIZED ORGANIC MATERIALS: CONFIRMING THE YOUNG EARTH CREATION-FLOOD MODEL:

The background standard of this AMS laboratory is CO2 from purified natural gas that provides their background level of 0.077±0.005 pmc. This same laboratory obtains values of 0.076±0.009 pmc and 0.071±0.009 pmc, respectively, for Carrara Marble (IAEA Standard Radiocarbon Reference Material C1) and optical-grade calcite from Island spar. They claim this is one of the lowest background levels quoted among AMS labs, and they attribute this low background to their special graphitization technique. They emphasize backgrounds this low cannot be realized with any statistical significance through only one or two measurements, but many measurements are required to obtain a robust determination.

The laboratory has carefully studied the sources of error within its AMS hardware, and regular tests are performed to ensure these remain small. According to these studies, errors in the spectrometer are very low and usually below the detection limit since the spectrometer is energy dispersive and identifies the ion species by energy loss. The detector electronic noise, the mass spectrometric inferences (the E/q and mE/q2 ambiguities), and the cross contamination all contribute less than 0.0004 pmc to the background. Ion source contamination as a result of previous samples (ion source memory) is a finite contribution because 50-80% of all sputtered carbon atoms are not extracted as carbon ions and are therefore dumped into the ion source region. To limit this ion source memory effect, the ion source is cleaned every two weeks and critical parts are thrown away. This keeps the ion source contamination at approximately 0.0025 pmc for the duration of a two-week run. Regular spot checks of these contributions are performed with a zone-refined, reactor-grade graphite sample (measuring 14C/12C ratios) and blank aluminum target pellets (measuring 14C only).

The laboratory claims most of their quoted system background arises from sample processing. This processing involves combustion (or hydrolysis in the case of carbonate samples), acetylene synthesis, and graphitization. Yet careful and repeated analysis of their methods over more than fifteen years have convinced them that very little contamination is associated with the combustion or hydrolysis procedures and almost none with their electrical dissociation graphitization process. By elimination they conclude that the acetylene synthesis must contribute almost all of the system background. But they can provide little tangible evidence it actually does. Our assessment from the information we have is that the system background arises primarily from 14C intrinsic to the background standards themselves. The values we report in Table 2 and Figure 3 nevertheless include the subtraction of the laboratory&#8217;s standard background. In any case, the measured 14C/C values are notably above
their background value.

And, from Carbon-14 in Coal Deposits:
It turns out that the origin and concentration of 14C in fossil fuels is important to the physics community because of its relevance for detection of solar neutrinos. Apparently one of the new neutrino detectors, the Borexino detector in Italy, works by detecting tiny flashes of visible light produced by neutrinos passing through a huge subterranean vat of "scintillation fluid". Scintillation fluid is made from fossil fuels such as methane or oil (plus some other ingredients), and it sparkles when struck by beta particles or certain other events such as neutrinos. The Borexino detector has 800 tons of scintillant. However, if there are any native beta emitters in the fluid itself, that natural radioactive decay will also produce scintillant flashes. ... So, the physicists want to find fossil fuels that have very little 14C. In the course of this work, they've discovered that fossil fuels vary widely in 14C content. Some have no detectable 14C; some have quite a lot of 14C. Apparently it correlates best with the content of the natural radioactivity of the rocks surrounding the fossil fuels, particularly the neutron- and alpha-particle-emitting isotopes of the uranium-thorium series. Dr. Gove and his colleagues told me they think the evidence so far demonstrates that 14C in coal and other fossil fuels is derived entirely from new production of 14C by local radioactive decay of the uranium-thorium series. Many studies verify that coals vary widely in uranium-thorium content, and that this can result in inflated content of certain isotopes relevant to radiometric dating

So the stuff really is there.  But what's the source?  If all or almost all the 14C came from the atmosphere at the time the sample formed, then that sample is somewhat less than 60K years old.  But there are other known sources of 14C, such as groundwater-carried contamination and in-situ formation of 14C from 14N by high-energy particles from nearby radioactive decay.  The latter is discussed further at Carbon-14 in Coal Deposits, and both diamonds and fossil fuels contain 14N.  Humphreys dismisses the former source as "impossible"; I recall seeing him claim that it's impossible because diamond is such a hard material (I can't locate the source right now) but that's crap; dislocations and microcracks offer opportunities for just such contamination, and (as in the helium studies) we're talking about microscopic amounts of 14C.

So, as I pointed out in a slightly previous message, the creationist error lies in assuming the source of the 14C.  If you want to date samples with 14C, you need to have good reason to believe that all or almost all of the 14C came from the atmosphere when the sample formed.  Of course, that's a slam-dunk in obviously-organic well-"sealed" samples that measure as 30K years or less.

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,07:35   

Guys, this is not my field, but I found this and had to jump in...

dave, google "c14 dating method" and read the FIRST link.

. After 10 half-lives, there is a very small amount of radioactive carbon present in a sample. At about 50 - 60 000 years, then, the limit of the technique is reached (beyond this time, other radiometric techniques must be used for dating).

Whoops!  :D

--------------

ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,07:36   

One more thing, Dave. If you think the earth is 6,000 years old, how does it help you to find coal and diamonds that date to 50,000 years? If you think those dates are accurate, they make your estimate of the earth's age off by almost a full order of magnitude. How does a radiocarbon date of 6,500 years help you? Radiocarbon dating in those date ranges is accurate to a few percent.

Do you see where I'm heading, Dave? Or are you going to miss this one, too, like the one about the jetliners and the helicopter? Your young-earth dates are all over the map. Some are 5,500 years, some are 6,000 years, some are 10,000 years, some are 50,000 years. They don't converge on a single value.

By contrast, all the real data on the age of the earth converge on a single value within a few percent: 4.5 by. Data from radiometric dating, stratigraphic data, the fossil record, astrophysical data, cosmological data, they all say the same thing. Your figures don't.

If you were really interested in the truth, this would be one of those "Hmmm ... really?  I never noticed that glaring error before.  OK, you're right" moments.

--------------

improvius

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,07:37   

Says scientist who WANT the earth to be very, very old.

Fascinating how Dave still isn't telling us why so many scientists would wand the earth to be very, very old...  But I'll give him another chance before I just answer for him.

--------------
Quote (afdave @ Oct. 02 2006,18:37)
Many Jews were in comfortable oblivion about Hitler ... until it was too late.
Many scientists will persist in comfortable oblivion about their Creator ... until it is too late.

JonF

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,07:38   

Oh I see.  So now you get to accuse YECs of making unwarranted assumptions.  The difference is, I can defend RATE's assumptions.

Ok, then do so.  Let's see your defence of RATE's assumptions that the 14C has age significance.  Why did they ignore in-situ formation due to nearby radiation sources?  Why did they ignore the possibility of  groundwater contamination?
 I don't think you can defend your assumptions about radio-metric dating (when we get to that, and we will).

This is an area of my expertise, Davie-poo. I've been challenging creationist loons, some better informed than you, for years.  I saw your standard and erroneous parroting of the "assumptions" behind radiometric dating a few pages back; you don't know what you're talking about, and you don't stand a chance.
As for defending the RATE assumptions, you can't say we have not accounted for 'background 14C', because we have.  The numbers given already have that subtracted out by the lab.

And you should note that I didn't say RATE did not account for background.  I did say that they have not accounted for other known possibilities for the source of the 14C. 

Table, 2   page 22, Gold Butte data, column 5, bottom entry.

How much would they have found at 2000m or 1000m?  Am I doing my 'maths' right?  Did I overlook something here?

I haven't seen any of your maths.  Let's see your calculations of the age of the zircons.

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,08:01   

Put in perspective half a Dave, AiG etc are using the Piltdown technique to promote a Fraud on you.

I don't see why you even bother trying to 'convert' us using so called 'facts'.

If you value evidence based on IRRELAVENT  and relativist pure emotion but not it's OBJECTIVE value why would you expect us to assign any value to your nonsense.

You disregard any evidence that you don't like, not on it's merit, but on how you 'feel'.

Imagine if a doctor or engineer disregarded the experts in their fields and expediently reached conclusions not on actual evidence but on purely selfish grounds such as their religious opinion or how much money they could make, in anybodies language they would be called a misanthrope.

--------------
The conservative has but little to fear from the man whose reason is the servant of his passions, but let him beware of him in whom reason has become the greatest and most terrible of the passions.These are the wreckers of outworn empires and civilisations, doubters, disintegrators, deicides.Haldane

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,08:27   

Could you explain something, please? If 'the USA was founded as a Christian nation', then why do the Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights fail to mention Christianity in any way?

Read "Original Intent" and "The Myth of Separation" by David Barton of Wallbuilders.  Or start a new thread on this topic ... maybe I will find time to respond.

Wow, that was a non-answer, big surprise.

Musta been the pernicious influence of them wicked secular humanists Jefferson and Franklin. Just because there's absolutely nothing in the founding documents of the US that mentions Christianity, trust me, it's really there!  I don't need evidence, it's just obvious, guys!

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

normdoering

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,08:33   

Jeannot...  

Dave is on to something when he talks about increased carbon dating accuracy:
http://www.cwru.edu/news/2005/3-05/waltersages.htm

New technologies, like laser-fusion and argon-argon dating methods have been refined to the point where the age of a volcanic particle as small as a grain of salt can be determined with great precision and accuracy.

Alas, poor Dave's larger argument about a young Earth is deeply undermined by these new techniques. They are still supporting and adding detail to a very old Earth. If things change, the Earth is going to start looking older, not younger. That's were the new discoveries not filtered by creationists are pointing.

6047 replies since May 01 2006,03:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (202) < ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]