RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (29) < ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... >   
  Topic: Discussing "Explore Evolution", Have at it.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Tracy P. Hamilton

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 11 2008,12:09   

Quote (Paul Nelson @ Mar. 10 2008,20:06)
Tracy, Prothero's term "well-developed gills" is a character found in adult fish (and some amphibians).  The term "fish-like," which Prothero repeatedly uses, refers to fish -- again, the morphological standard of comparison is an adult organism, not an embryo.

No, it doesn't.  Hence the term "fish-like" rather than fish.  The error is purely one of your imagination.

And thus Paul Nelson's little house of cards, which I have deleted, collapses.

--------------
"Following what I just wrote about fitness, you’re taking refuge in what we see in the world."  PaV

"The simple equation F = MA leads to the concept of four-dimensional space." GilDodgen

"We have no brain, I don't, for thinking." Robert Byers

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 11 2008,13:22   

Quote (carlsonjok @ Mar. 11 2008,10:26)

Quote (J-Dog @ Mar. 11 2008,10:15)

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Mar. 11 2008,06:33)
I'll look forward to seeing some changes in the second edition.

thanks

If, I repeat, If, this happens, I nominate Albatrossity for the Nobel Effin Peace Prize.*

Don't count on it.  Remember that he only said he would urge the co-authors to make the change.  Classic good cop line: "Sure, I see your point, but I can't speak for my co-authors.  I mean, I agree, but, you know, that Stephen Meyer?  He is a loose cannon.  I can't control him and I just never know what he is going to do."

Think Danny Glover and Mel Gibson in "Lethal Weapon."

I agree; I am not optimistic that any substantive changes will be visible in EE's second edition. They simply can't afford to do that; the entire "Embryology" chapter (pp. 65-71) consists of nothing more than an extended rant about Haeckel's embryos. If they had to point out that nobody teaches that stuff that way in modern times, they wouldn't have any argument at all.

Look for changes in the minimal-to-none range for this section of EE.

But if I'm wrong, I'll be happy to pick up the Peace Prize. Thanks for the nomination, J-Dog!

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 11 2008,15:59   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Mar. 11 2008,13:22)
Quote (carlsonjok @ Mar. 11 2008,10:26)

Quote (J-Dog @ Mar. 11 2008,10:15)

thanks

If, I repeat, If, this happens, I nominate Albatrossity for the Nobel Effin Peace Prize.*

Don't count on it.  Remember that he only said he would urge the co-authors to make the change.  Classic good cop line: "Sure, I see your point, but I can't speak for my co-authors.  I mean, I agree, but, you know, that Stephen Meyer?  He is a loose cannon.  I can't control him and I just never know what he is going to do."

Think Danny Glover and Mel Gibson in "Lethal Weapon."

I agree; I am not optimistic that any substantive changes will be visible in EE's second edition. They simply can't afford to do that; the entire "Embryology" chapter (pp. 65-71) consists of nothing more than an extended rant about Haeckel's embryos. If they had to point out that nobody teaches that stuff that way in modern times, they wouldn't have any argument at all.

Look for changes in the minimal-to-none range for this section of EE.

But if I'm wrong, I'll be happy to pick up the Peace Prize. Thanks for the nomination, J-Dog!

Your welcome!

Carlsonjock:    Unfortunately your analogy breaks down, because we are dealing with the DI and ID... what do you do it they are all "bad cops"?  

It's like 2 Mel Gibsons!  

Twice the Crazy - Twice the Anti-Antisemitism, 100% the dumb.

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Doc Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 11 2008,17:20   

Since I'm not likely to read EE, I took the time to go to the EE website and read the blurb on turtles.

I quote from EE:

Turtles are another fascinating example of a group of animals that appears abruptly in the fossil record. The
order Chelonia, to which turtles and tortoises belong, appears suddenly in the late Triassic, around 200 million
years ago. The very first time turtles appear, their body plan is already fully developed, and they appear in the
fossil record without intermediates.

Now, my understanding of creationist jargon is that "sudden appearance" and "fully developed" mean they, turtles, were created or designed.

Is this correct, Paul, or not?  Is EE claiming that turtles were created?

Second, I have a question about the last sentence about intermediates.

To paraphrase, "turtles appear in the fossil record without intermediates."  Intermediates between what and what? Do turtles share common descent from earlier reptiles?

Tell me more about turtles, Paul.

Thanks.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 12 2008,01:48   

Quote (J-Dog @ Mar. 11 2008,11:15)

thanks

Arabs and Jews, Obama and Clinton, Klingons and The Federation, Spitzer and Illegal Prostitution Rings, getting them together, just doesn't compare to actually getting a grudging concession from an ID Creationist on Haeckel's Effin Embryos ™.

*Sorry, Paul. I considered a dual nomination, ala Begin and Sadat, but Dave had to work so hard to get you to move an inch, that I just can't justify it.

Claim CB701.1:
The biogenetic law that ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny (that is, that the embryological stages of a developing organism follow the organism's evolutionary history) is false, yet embryological stages are still claimed as evidence for evolution.
Source:
Morris, Henry M., 1974.  Scientific Creationism, Green Forest, AR: Master Books, 76-77.

I haven't been able to follow this thread much. Did Paul ever provide a single example of any argument in his dishonest little book that isn't decades-old creationism with the word creationism strategically deleted?

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 12 2008,09:23   

Quote (stevestory @ Mar. 12 2008,01:48)
Did Paul ever provide a single example of any argument in his dishonest little book that isn't decades-old creationism with the word creationism strategically deleted?

HaHaHa!   As if...  Not in this multi-verse.

I would at least like to hear about the turtles!

Michelangelo, Donatello, and I forget the other two.

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

Tracy P. Hamilton

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 12 2008,09:53   

Quote (Doc Bill @ Mar. 11 2008,17:20)
Since I'm not likely to read EE, I took the time to go to the EE website and read the blurb on turtles.

I quote from EE:

Turtles are another fascinating example of a group of animals that appears abruptly in the fossil record. The
order Chelonia, to which turtles and tortoises belong, appears suddenly in the late Triassic, around 200 million
years ago. The very first time turtles appear, their body plan is already fully developed, and they appear in the

Now, my understanding of creationist jargon is that "sudden appearance" and "fully developed" mean they, turtles, were created or designed.

To paraphrase, "turtles appear in the fossil record without intermediates."  Intermediates between what and what? Do turtles share common descent from earlier reptiles?

Thanks.

And do you mention that Homo sapiens does not suddenly appear in your book?  Why or why not?   Let's explore this!

--------------
"Following what I just wrote about fitness, you’re taking refuge in what we see in the world."  PaV

"The simple equation F = MA leads to the concept of four-dimensional space." GilDodgen

"We have no brain, I don't, for thinking." Robert Byers

Amadan

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 12 2008,09:55   

Quote (J-Dog @ Mar. 12 2008,09:23)

Did Paul ever provide a single example of any argument in his dishonest little book that isn't decades-old creationism with the word creationism strategically deleted?

Egad man! I do believe you have just disproven the entire modern evolutionary systhesis!

1. The teenage turtles are mutants
2. They do good by fighting crime, etc etc
3. Everyone knows that mutations are either neutral or harmful
4. Therefore they must have been divinely created during the Cambrian period.

Nobel prize fer shur. I might even get you a few tickets to Expelled. If you want.

--------------
"People are always looking for natural selection to generate random mutations" - Densye  4-4-2011
JoeG BTW dumbass- some variations help ensure reproductive fitness so they cannot be random wrt it.

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 12 2008,11:53   

Quote (Amadan @ Mar. 12 2008,09:55)
Nobel prize fer shur. I might even get you a few tickets to Expelled. If you want.

Thanks...

Second Prize - Lots of tickets for Expelled.

--------------

JAM

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 12 2008,12:03   

Quote (Paul Nelson @ Mar. 10 2008,20:06)
More tomorrow, on JAM's genetics of body size question.

It's the day after. However, I'm glad you moved the goalposts back where they belong. My question is:

Do you have some data that suggest that size changes are a big deal?

No opinions, no arguments, no quotes are relevant. Just data.

Can you handle that question, Paul? My hypothesis (about your motivation) predicts that you can't.

Doc Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 12 2008,14:48   

I'd be happy with an explanation of Yertle the Turtle who appeared suddenly in the literature in 1958 with no obvious intermediate transitional species.

As for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, I believe they represent a veritable renaissance in turtleology.

I want Nelson to explain the purpose of the turtle panel.  What's the point?

Also, for extra credit, Nelson, did you run that quote by Scott Gilbert?  Does Dr. Gilbert support your point, should we ever learn from you what is the point?

Thanks!

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 12 2008,16:30   

Quote (J-Dog @ Mar. 12 2008,08:23)

Leonardo, Raphael.

(But don't ask me which one wears which color of mask! :p )

Timothy McDougald

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 12 2008,18:44   

Quote (Tracy P. Hamilton @ Mar. 12 2008,09:53)
Quote (Doc Bill @ Mar. 11 2008,17:20)

I quote from EE:

Thanks.

And do you mention that Homo sapiens does not suddenly appear in your book?  Why or why not?   Let's explore this!

Unless I missed it somehow, they didn't mention human evolution at all. A good thing, IMHO, because the only two articles I have read that give the "intelligent design" view of human evolution were, well, really, really bad.

--------------
Church burning ebola boy

FTK: I Didn't answer your questions because it beats the hell out of me.

PaV: I suppose for me to be pried away from what I do to focus long and hard on that particular problem would take, quite honestly, hundreds of thousands of dollars to begin to pique my interest.

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 12 2008,21:08   

Thanks.[/quote]
And do you mention that Homo sapiens does not suddenly appear in your book?  Why or why not?   Let's explore this![/quote]
Unless I missed it somehow, they didn't mention human evolution at all. A good thing, IMHO, because the only two articles I have read that give the "intelligent design" view of human evolution were, well, really, really bad.[/quote]
Yes, it is a good thing, becasue YOU, Afarensis, my little African Friend, they would probably classify as an ape, not a hominid.

However, I think you are at just the correct height to do a little nut-gathering or nut smashing with the larger, and more fleshy members of your IDC extended family... if you know what I mean, and I think you do...

--------------

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 12 2008,22:36   

OK, Paul is apparently NOT going to provide me a review copy of EE.  EEEEEEhhEEEEhEeee

So, I won't buy a new copy, that would give the SOBs royalties.

You all have my email, home address, and I am in the phone book.

Edited by Dr.GH on Mar. 12 2008,20:37

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 12 2008,22:42   

Ahhh gary what else is paul not going to do?

I'm still waiting for the theory that explains why there should be moths.

Paul Nelson is a liar.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Doc Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 12 2008,22:54   

And, Yertle the Turtle, remains a mystery.

Will Yertle discover his ancestors?

Will Dr. Gilbert be forever tainted with "supporting" creationism?

Will Paul Nelson spend an abbreviated lifetime in the Quote Mine only to succumb to Black Liar disease?

Oh, the humanity!

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 13 2008,00:10   

Yeah, well, I want my free stinking copy of the stinking book!

"Why Intelligent Design Fails" had sold well more than Rugters University Press had expected.  They had around 900 paperback copies in stock.  They had made their "projected" income, and stupidly ruled by a spread sheet program, the dicks had dumpt the notion of selling any more.

I had scheduled on my own time and initiative to make a set of lecture/book signings for WIDF, and I expected to move almost all they had left.  I requested 10 freebies for personal friends, and the local activists that were promoting the book signings.

The Rutgers prick editor refused, claiming they were "a non-profit publisher" that had to be careful about expenditures.  I did one Boarders Store and sold 20 copies.  I canceled the remaning 12 on the list.  RutPress ate at least the 240 other books I could have sold.

Lesson: Never publish with Rotgers University Smash, they are creeps.  Never expect journalism/communications/english majors working for a media company to actually care about science.  Never accept the minimal profit projected by spreadsheet using morons.

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

Paul Nelson

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 13 2008,08:59   

Replies to various,

Gary,

I apologize: I thought you were joking, given the "No, I don't wanna read yer stinkin' book!" reactions of some others here. Please send me a PM with your mailing address.

Seussical reaction to the offer of a free copy of EE:

"I will not read it in a bar,
I will not read it in a car,
I will not read it here or there,
I will not read it anywhere,
I do not want yer stinkin' book,
and as far as I'm concerned,
you're a complete idiot."

Sorry, couldn't rhyme that last bit. ;-)

The offer of a free copy of EE continues for anyone else, of course, including those who previously responded seussically.

JAM -- still collecting data on body size.  The issue has turned out to be far more interesting than I could have guessed.

Doc Bill -- why turtles?  Why not?  Turtles are cool.  Here's the bigger point (sorry, JAM, can't help myself), from a recent survey by Massimo Pigliucci:

Is There Something Missing from the Modern Synthesis?

What, then, is the problem?  Without trivializing the great successes of evo-devo, it is hard to escape the feeling that we are making significant progress in understanding relatively circumscribed problems in the origin of form [he mentions butterfly eye-spots], and that advances are being made more at the interface between population genetics and developmental biology than in the broader field of evo-devo.  For instance, baffling evolutionary novelties like the turtle carapace remain almost unscathed mysteries, with some speculation concerning their origin, but little in the way of detailed scenarios and solid empirical evidence (Rieppel 2001; Cebra-Thomas et al. 2005).  In some sense, this is precisely the same sort of problem that bothered Goldschmidt so much during the shaping of the MS [Modern Synthesis], and although his proposed solutions (genomic mutations and hopeful monsters) are not tenable, the uneasy feeling that we are not yet tackling the big questions remains.

Massimo Pigliucci, "Do we need an extended evolutionary synthesis?" Evolution 61 (2007):2743-2749; p. 2745, emphasis added.

If it is possible that (a) turtles share common ancestry with other reptiles, then it is also possible that (b) they do not.  If one denies the possibility of (b), however, (a) becomes a necessary truth, and impossible to test (because it will be the case, come what may).  The proposition of evolutionary theory, "turtles evolved from unknown reptilian ancestors" would then no longer be empirical, i.e., subject to the testimony of evidence, because no data could count against it.

Erasmus, moths exist to provide employment for entomologists, naturally.  Also to flutter around candles and camping lanterns during the summer. :)

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 13 2008,09:14   

Quote (Paul Nelson @ Mar. 13 2008,08:59)
Erasmus, moths exist to provide employment for entomologists, naturally.

And whom were bacterial flagellum created to keep employed?  Shouldn't Dr. Behe be seeking out the Intelligent Designer in order to thank him for providing the opportunity that has been the cornerstone of his career?

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 13 2008,09:30   

Quote (carlsonjok @ Mar. 13 2008,09:14)
Erasmus, moths exist to provide employment for entomologists, naturally.

And whom were bacterial flagellum created to keep employed?  Shouldn't Dr. Behe be seeking out the Intelligent Designer in order to thank him for providing the opportunity that has been the cornerstone of his career?

I don't think Dr. Behe is scheduled to spend much time in the future with The Intelligent Designer.  He is much more likely to spend a looooong time chatting up people like Jerry Falwell, Kent "Dr." Dino Hovind, Uncle Adolph, and George W Bush.   Taking a long-term view, Behe would be well advised to begin developing ways to turn those little flagellas into fans.  Cooling fans.

--------------

Venus Mousetrap

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 13 2008,10:28   

Replies to various,

Gary,

I apologize: I thought you were joking, given the "No, I don't wanna read yer stinkin' book!" reactions of some others here. Please send me a PM with your mailing address.

Seussical reaction to the offer of a free copy of EE:

"I will not read it in a bar,
I will not read it in a car,
I will not read it here or there,
I will not read it anywhere,
I do not want yer stinkin' book,
and as far as I'm concerned,
you're a complete idiot."

Sorry, couldn't rhyme that last bit. ;-)

The offer of a free copy of EE continues for anyone else, of course, including those who previously responded seussically.

JAM -- still collecting data on body size.  The issue has turned out to be far more interesting than I could have guessed.

Doc Bill -- why turtles?  Why not?  Turtles are cool.  Here's the bigger point (sorry, JAM, can't help myself), from a recent survey by Massimo Pigliucci:

What, then, is the problem?  Without trivializing the great successes of evo-devo, it is hard to escape the feeling that we are making significant progress in understanding relatively circumscribed problems in the origin of form [he mentions butterfly eye-spots], and that advances are being made more at the interface between population genetics and developmental biology than in the broader field of evo-devo.  For instance, baffling evolutionary novelties like the turtle carapace remain almost unscathed mysteries, with some speculation concerning their origin, but little in the way of detailed scenarios and solid empirical evidence (Rieppel 2001; Cebra-Thomas et al. 2005).  In some sense, this is precisely the same sort of problem that bothered Goldschmidt so much during the shaping of the MS [Modern Synthesis], and although his proposed solutions (genomic mutations and hopeful monsters) are not tenable, the uneasy feeling that we are not yet tackling the big questions remains.

Massimo Pigliucci, "Do we need an extended evolutionary synthesis?" Evolution 61 (2007):2743-2749; p. 2745, emphasis added.

If it is possible that (a) turtles share common ancestry with other reptiles, then it is also possible that (b) they do not.  If one denies the possibility of (b), however, (a) becomes a necessary truth, and impossible to test (because it will be the case, come what may).  The proposition of evolutionary theory, "turtles evolved from unknown reptilian ancestors" would then no longer be empirical, i.e., subject to the testimony of evidence, because no data could count against it.

Erasmus, moths exist to provide employment for entomologists, naturally.  Also to flutter around candles and camping lanterns during the summer. :)

I'd still like to hear the answer to the Doc's earlier question: is EE attempting to imply that tortoises were created suddenly in some unknown manner?

Or are we to skip past the fact that EE expresses exactly what creationists want kids to hear, while wrapping it up in a neat 'scientific analysis' package?

I don't understand why you're here Paul, honestly. Half the time you spend not answering questions, and the other half you give answers that I wouldn't even have gotten away with in school (unless you really expect us to be convinced by 'it's not creationism! It's just that all the arguments are FROM creationism!')

(long refuted creationism, at that... sure, I really want my kids on stale arguments made up for religious purposes.)

(if I had kids.)

hooligans

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 13 2008,11:21   

Mr. Nelson,

I was wondering what you have to say about this issue IN EE I posted back in August:
(Permalink) Posted: July 13 2007,20:40    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EE states that:  

For example, flowering plants appear suddenly in the early Cretaceous period, 145-125 million years ago. This rapid appearance is sometimes called the angiosperm big bloom. “The origin of the angiosperms remains unclear,”

Ah yes, yet another example of an argument from ignorance. Hmm, too bad for EE progress is being made in understanding this perplexing problem. Check out this article entitled:South Pacific Plant May Be Missing Link in Evolution Of Flowering Plants

The problem with EE is that it tries to stimulate controversy where, instead, a teacher should stimulate a thirst to understand what is known and where the gaps in knowledge are. This way students will be able to do research to help find answers.

Any thoughts?

Edited to fix quotes

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 13 2008,11:23   

Well thanks Paul.  I was beginning to think i was invisible.

Anyway, I am fairly sure that moths exist to clutter up my light trap samples of otherwise interesting insects.

But if you will remember just a little ways back you were insinuating via ye olde quote as evidence game that this was one of the problems with evolutionary biology.

The popular theory of evolution is the modern synthesis (neo-Darwinism), based on changes in populations underpinned by the mathematics of allelic variation and driven by natural selection.  It accounts more for adaptive changes in the colouration of moths, than in explaining why there are moths at all.  This theory does not predict why there were only 50 or so modal body plans, nor does it provide a basis for rapid, large scale innovations.  It lacks significant connection with embryogenesis and hence there is no nexus to the evolution of form.  It fails to address the question of why the anatomical gaps between phyla are no wider today than they were at their Cambrian appearance.

Now I see that instead it is a problem with your panglossian view of the world.  Even with the intended humor.

Now, the burning question of course is, Does EE provide a theory that explains why there are moths at all?  Hmm?  god's will?  Inquiring minds wish to know.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

JAM

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 13 2008,11:27   

Um, Paul, you've already quote mined a paper that does provide solid empirical evidence for the mechanism underlying the evolution of the carapace:

Remember? You took this:

This reptile [Proganochelys] had the characteristic derived trunk morphology now associated with turtles. Thus, the distinctive morphology of the turtle appears to have arisen suddenly. We can propose a hypothesis that may explain at least part of how this might happen. The key innovation is to getting the ribs into the dermis. Once there, variation in the population might enable some individuals to use this heterotopic placement of ribs to form a shell. If they could form a positive feedback loop between the rib and the CR (e.g., through Fgf10 and Fgf8), they could co-ordinate rib and carapace growth. When the ribs undergo normal endochodral ossification, the BMPs would induce the costal bones that form the plate of the carapace. (This may involve overpowering natural inhibitors of BMPs that are secreted by the dermis.) This mechanism, wherein the displacement of a tissue allows it to induce structures at new locations, has been proposed by Brylski and Hall (’88) to account for the rapid emergence of the fur-lined cheek pouches of pocket gophers. The compatibility of our findings with those of the
turtle fossil record has been noted by paleontologists (Rieppel, ’01).

These observations indicate that the ribs act as initiation centers for the dermal ossification of costal bones. The ossifying regions of the dermis extend towards one another to eventually fuse. The data reported in the present report confirm and extend these observations and permit us to frame a hypothesis to explain the rapid origin of the turtle carapace.

And dishonestly changed it to this:
Because "the distinctive morphology of the turtle appears to have arisen suddenly," Gilbert and his colleagues argue that evolution needs "to explain the rapid origin of the turtle carapace [shell]."

There's nothing resembling the context you added, and omitting the data and the detailed explanations offered is completely dishonest and deceptive.

Why do you substitute quotes for data, Paul? The only reason I can see is that you are deliberately deceiving your audience because you know that the data don't support your position. If you had the slightest faith that your position is correct, you would offer data instead of deception by quote-mining.

hooligans

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 13 2008,11:48   

Mr. Nelson,

Given the quote from EE mentioned above regarding the evolution of flowering plants, how will you incorporate new data rolling in related to this issue?

Developmental Evolution of the Sexual Process in Ancient Flowering Plant Lineages
William E. Friedmana,1 and Joseph H. Williamsb
a Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado 80309
b Department of Botany, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee 37996

. . . After a long period of empirical and intellectual stagnation, critical new reproductive data coupled with more robust phylogenetic hypotheses are radically altering the conceptual landscape. Many of the century-old paradigms about the origin and early evolution of flowering plant reproductive features are in the midst of being substantially overthrown.

Thanks

edited to add link

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 13 2008,13:09   

Quote (stevestory @ Mar. 12 2008,02:48)
I haven't been able to follow this thread much. Did Paul ever provide a single example of any argument in his dishonest little book that isn't decades-old creationism with the word creationism strategically deleted?

No.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Doc Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 13 2008,16:56   

Thank you all, but I was eventually going to swing around and address the mangled Gilbert quote which is why I asked Nelson if he thought that Gilbert would approve that message.

The answer would be:
1.  No.
2.  Hell, no!

I pick Door number Two.

If the only page of EE I've read is fraught with so many errors, that does not bode well for the rest of the book.  Furthermore, I found exactly the same turtle argument over at AIG, only as Real Creationists they lay it out clearly that turtles were created on Day 5 or 6.  Thanks, AIG, for a much more precise answer than "around 200 million years ago."

EE reads more like a creationist blog than a textbook.  None of my textbooks offer quotations from scientists.  

"Mort Snerd of MIT confirmed that, indeed PV, does equal nRT."

But, it appears that EE stands on no data so I guess quotes are the only thing you've got.  

Paul, how do you guys do that levitation thing with EE?

My suggestion to Paul Nelson and Co. is to simply drop EE, a subject about which they have demonstrated they know nothing, and produce a work based on their strengths;  something they know a lot about.

I give you:  Explore Creationism

First, make it funny.  "A creationist and a penguin go into a bar..."

Second, parody, parody, parody.  Quote mine famous creationists to make it look like they support evolution.  A laff riot.

Third, myth busters!  Sternberg worked AT the Smithsonian not FOR the Smithsonian.  BUSTED!

Fourth, those wacky creationists.  No better than than Roy Comfort and the banana.  The best of Kent Hovind.  Blast from the past with Garner Ted Armstrong.

And, finally, with more facelifts than Joan Rivers, our favorite brand of creationism, Intelligent Design.  Take my mousetrap...please!

Seriously, Paul, I'm giving this idea to you for free.  You can thank me later.

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 13 2008,17:24   

Quote (Doc Bill @ Mar. 13 2008,16:56)
First, make it funny.  "A creationist and a penguin go into a bar..."

Isn't that a randomly mutated variant of an evolutionist in a bar telling a joke about a penguin?

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Doc Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 13 2008,17:52   

How dare you suggest that any of my variants are mutated randomly!

They're all intelligently designed.

861 replies since July 13 2007,13:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (29) < ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]