RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 409 410 411 412 413 [414] 415 416 417 418 419 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Faid

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,15:29   

Quote (Mike PSS @ Feb. 21 2007,12:56)
And.....
AFDave gets another hand-slap from the debate etiquette police.

http://richarddawkins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=120184#120184

Turns out that the Dawkins net mods don't like the shifting goalposts that AFDave uses (and abuses).

Key points for the Yodelling YEC...  
afdave1 openly declared a change of topic in the previous thread.
In this case, the thread owner (afdave1) said he was switching to a new topic, meaning he felt that the old one had run it's course.
The new thread was based on the new topic.
By editing the OP and title of the new thread to make it look like a continuation of the old one, afdave1 changed the new thread into something that it was not,
(a) keep on topic and (b) don't move the goalposts by editing the OP and title beyond recognition.
It is to be expected that there may be some crossover between different topics, but that does not excuse a sudden and abrupt change mid-thread as was done.

Looks like AFDave has to come to terms with falsafiability (versus verifiability) before he can support any other nonsense.

Haha it seems I missed a lot on the afdave saga...

But what the mods don't get(*) is that this is just a typical example of Afdavian Intellectual Honesty:

dave doesn't just want to move to a "new topic"...

He wants to move to a new topic, pretending he triumphed in the old one!

Yeah, good luck with that, davesy. :)

(*) Or, perhaps, they DO get it, and try to set him straight from the start.
It's not that hard to read our old pal's intentions and methods, after all...

(But speaking of topics, this might belong on the Bathroom wall?)

--------------
A look into DAVE HAWKINS' sense of honesty:

"The truth is that ALL mutations REDUCE information"

"...mutations can add information to a genome.  And remember, I have never said that this is not possible."

W. Kevin Vicklund

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,16:52   

DaveTard has his beer-Googles on again:

Prometheus

Tell your friend to google

"laser" "chemical synthesis" "acetic acid"

and start reading. Tell me how many of the 40,000 hits it takes to confirm that lasers are a common part of the modern chemical production toolbox.

I'm no chemist and I'm not going to bother checking but I presume the laser can function like an enzyme by speeding up and/or preferentially maximizing certain reaction products. While this is probably not something available in the high school science labs it appears to be common in industrial application. I'd really like to see more science from the alleged scientists here.

First of all, it's about 35,000 hits using your criteria. Secondly, of the first 50 page hits that I had access to the text, the lasers were used for mass-spectrometry in all but one paper, where lasers where used to create polymers (in a process superficially similar to that used for creating computer chips). Conclusion: lasers are predominately used in chemical synthesis to check the purity of the product, not synthesize the compound.

DaveScot shows his stupidity yet again.

phonon

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,17:47   

Quote (W. Kevin Vicklund @ Feb. 21 2007,16:52)

Prometheus

Tell your friend to google

"laser" "chemical synthesis" "acetic acid"

and start reading. Tell me how many of the 40,000 hits it takes to confirm that lasers are a common part of the modern chemical production toolbox.

I'm no chemist and I'm not going to bother checking but I presume the laser can function like an enzyme by speeding up and/or preferentially maximizing certain reaction products. While this is probably not something available in the high school science labs it appears to be common in industrial application. I'd really like to see more science from the alleged scientists here.

First of all, it's about 35,000 hits using your criteria. Secondly, of the first 50 page hits that I had access to the text, the lasers were used for mass-spectrometry in all but one paper, where lasers where used to create polymers (in a process superficially similar to that used for creating computer chips). Conclusion: lasers are predominately used in chemical synthesis to check the purity of the product, not synthesize the compound.

DaveScot shows his stupidity yet again.

Most certainly.

A laser would be a poor choice for batch syntheses. It's too focused an energy source. Yes, lasers are indeed used in certain polymerization techniques when patterning on surfaces is important. They come in handy during rapid prototyping and so-called "3D printing."

And to say that a laser would act like an enzyme is a bad analogy. An enzyme (or any other catalyst) works by lowering the activation energy of a reaction through chemical interaction with the substrate. This makes the reaction proceed faster. A laser physically promotes electrons in the substrate to higher energy levels, making the substrate more reactive by creating radicals or triplet states, allowing isomerization, or through any number of other mechanisms.

--------------
With most men, unbelief in one thing springs from blind belief in another. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

To do just the opposite is also a form of imitation. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,17:55   

Quote (Faid @ Feb. 21 2007,23:19)
Quote (J-Dog @ Feb. 21 2007,14:11)
A Glimpse Inside The Tardster's Brain... And Pants!

AWWWWWWW poor Davescot...

Now look what you did, J-dog... You almost made me like the guy.

He would be more or less a normal person, if his bloated ego didn't get in the way.

I have this picture of DT as The Neutered Slobering Beast locked up in a cellar until everyone is safely home and in their own beds behind locked doors.

And no friends?

No free night out with the boys?

--------------
The conservative has but little to fear from the man whose reason is the servant of his passions, but let him beware of him in whom reason has become the greatest and most terrible of the passions.These are the wreckers of outworn empires and civilisations, doubters, disintegrators, deicides.Haldane

W. Kevin Vicklund

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,18:03   

LRM42 and I expose DaveTard's innumeracy on the same thread.  Somehow 50g of sodium dichloroacetate sold at $134 equals $40 per gram in DT's world.  Last I checked, that was about $2.68.

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,18:18   

Quote (W. Kevin Vicklund @ Feb. 21 2007,16:52)

Prometheus....I'm no chemist and I'm not going to bother checking but I presume the laser can function like an enzyme by speeding up and/or preferentially maximizing certain reaction products. While this is probably not something available in the high school science labs it appears to be common in industrial application. I'd really like to see more science from the alleged scientists here....

Feeling a little puzzled here.  

DaveScot is also no cell biologist, geneticist, cosmologist, oncologist, climatologist, mathematician, information theorist, anthropologist, paleontologist, cosmologist or - come to think of it - expert on any other topic on which he Googles forth at UD. That's never stopped him before...

...But as I read this post I see that his admission of ignorance didn't stop him HERE, either. More expression of his autodactyle knob polishing, one supposes.

Truth be told, I'm becoming downright bored with Dave's utterly predictable monopoly of UD.  C'mon Bill, Sal, Gil, Denyse, where are you?

Wait.... a new Uncommonly Denyse tidbit....oh BOY!  It's time for the WORD JUMBLE game! Back in a bit.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

phonon

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,18:21   

It looks like Xerxes17something clued in to what the DCA salesmen and Dave were talking about. They don't use a laser. They most likely shine a UV light on it. There are reactors like this. You have a big Pyrex tank, or vat if you wish, with a hole down the middle to house a big UV bulb. I guess they bubble chlorine through acetic acid while hitting it with UV light. But you get a mixture of products, as they speak of in the Wiki article. You probably have a mixture of carbon tetrachloride CCl4, chloroform CHCl3, and methylene chloride CH2Cl2 that have to be separated by distillation. This is likely what happens with TCA and DCA (and MCA presumably) and the mixture would have to be distilled.

Dave's next shopping list:
1. Big UV Lamp
2. 50 gallons acetic acid
3. Tank chlorine gas
4. Distillation column
5. Red Devil Lye
6. Test subjects

--------------
With most men, unbelief in one thing springs from blind belief in another. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

To do just the opposite is also a form of imitation. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,18:21   

Quote (W. Kevin Vicklund @ Feb. 21 2007,18:03)
LRM42 and I expose DaveTard's innumeracy on the same thread.  Somehow 50g of sodium dichloroacetate sold at $134 equals $40 per gram in DT's world.  Last I checked, that was about $2.68.

Mr. Vicklund - How about a little link, so the entire class can enjoy?

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,18:26   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Feb. 21 2007,18:18)
DaveScot is also no cell biologist, geneticist, cosmologist, oncologist, climatologist, mathematician, information theorist, anthropologist, paleontologist, cosmologist or - come to think of it - expert on any other topic on which he Googles forth at UD. That's never stopped him before...

...But as I read this post I see that his admission of ignorance didn't stop him HERE, either. More expression of his autodactyle knob polishing, one supposes.

He is the World's First and Foremost Tardologist, and has a PhD in Tardology.  This qualifies him to blather about any subject his fat little fingers can Google.

And he can ban anyone.  Anytime.

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,18:30   

Quote (phonon @ Feb. 21 2007,18:21)
1. Big UV Lamp
3. Tank chlorine gas
4. Distillation column
5. Red Devil Lye
6. Test subjects

Phonon - re:  #6.

Bill? , Denyse?  Are you there?  Do you want to do some  "science"?  

This could be FUN!

--------------

phonon

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,18:37   

Meanwhile:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....chology

Further reasons not to believe in evolutionary psychology

And her reasons?

a rabbit somewhere in Texas chases a big snake up a tree
and  
Recently, a house cat also chased a bear up a tree.

Yeah, you wouldn't want variation in behavior. I mean, how would the natural selection part work then?

One thing to realize about evolutionary psychology is that it requires a material mechanism rather than conscious awareness in order to explain behaviour
Oh, the misunderstanding.

From her blog where she admits she's a hack.

According to the materialist view, consciousness is simply the buzz created by the workings of the brain. It does not initiate action.
Huh?  ???
At least not for certain Canadian bloggers.

That "buzz" you hear...be careful.

--------------

phonon

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,18:39   

Quote (k.e @ Feb. 20 2007,19:12)
Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ Feb. 21 2007,02:43)

Quote (carlsonjok @ Feb. 20 2007,07:50)
If ID is dead, how do you explain this:

The ID Beer Stein

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.  QED

Ptooey.  If God REALLY wanted us to be happy, then BEER would fall from the sky and flow in rivers instead of WATER.

So THERE.

Bullshit he'd get one of his representatives here on earth to set up a brewery and charge money for it.

What are you implying? that god is supernatural and therefore a figment of someones imagination?

Chimay is definitely my favorite beer of all time. I hesitate to even call it mere beer.

Also, God (through his representatives) gave us cappuccino, eh?

--------------

phonon

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,18:47   

Quote (J-Dog @ Feb. 21 2007,18:30)

Quote (phonon @ Feb. 21 2007,18:21)
1. Big UV Lamp
3. Tank chlorine gas
4. Distillation column
5. Red Devil Lye
6. Test subjects

Phonon - re:  #6.

Bill? , Denyse?  Are you there?  Do you want to do some  "science"?  

This could be FUN!

I don't think they are that brave, but I hear Behe has some balls.

Anyway, I think Dave plans to make "Pet DCA" and he's already got his subjects all lined up.  
I rescued 7 motherless abandoned in the woods by a lake 4-week old mixed breed shepherd pups winter before last, raised them, kept my two favorites, and found good homes for the rest. I'll tell you what you miserable cretin, if I saw you and one of my dogs about to get run over by a car and I only had time to save one of you, it would be the dog.

Posted by: DaveScot | February 21, 2007 04:46 PM
You son of a motherless goat!

--------------

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,19:04   

Quote (phonon @ Feb. 21 2007,18:47)
I hear Behe has some balls.

I thought he lost those in Dover . . . . .

Someone pulled them off, as I recall . . . . .

--------------
Editor, Red and Black Publishers
www.RedandBlackPublishers.com

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,19:24   

Uncommonly Denyse doesn't disappoint.  From her aptly named blog "Mindful Hack" (as she certainly is a hack):

...if you believe that consciousness is not an illusion and that it can initiate action, you can readily account for the hostility that a person (or dog or cat, for that matter) perceives toward a new favorite. An intelligent life form perceives benefits lost and reacts accordingly. No further explanation in the form of a mechanism is needed because the perception itself drives the process. Moreover, the life form's behaviour can be interpreted without reference to the question of whether any genes get passed on.

So, Mr. Intelligence and Mr. Consciousness are these - somethings* - that perceive, reason, calculate gains and losses, and react, with no underlying basis in neural activity, or anything else. They perceive and react out of conscious perception.  That's the explanation. No need for further 'splanation, because they are conscious, and intelligent. And NO need for Mr. Gooey Stuff.

I await her description of where and how Mr. Consciousness harvests, say, visual information from Mr. Gooey Stuff.  Does he watch little movies on the backs of our retinas (this would explain why the retina is wired backward - so Mr. Consciousness can watch the goings on outside.) At the thalami? At V1?  Frontal lobes?  Backal lobes?

Also, U-Denyse needs a description of how Mr. Consciousness and Mr. Intelligence, after consulting Mr. Perception, work together to make Mr. Gooey's muscles wiggle. Do they tickle motor plans within the midbrain? Toggle neurons along the motor strip?  Diddle ganglia within the spine? Or just push and shove arms and legs directly?  

Mother of God, what does she think that Mr. Gooey Stuff is DOING in there?  Well, in the case of Uncommonly Denyse, not much. But in OTHER skulls, what is he doing THERE?

What kills me about this position is that advocates of ID, on one hand, argue that the human brain is an instance of IC that couldn't have arisen by means of natural selection, and, on the other, that the brain has nothing to do with human consciousness and cognition. Without batting an eye.

(You can't beat stuff like this on your best day, Dave.)

*Detachable ghosts.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,19:38   

should the warning labels be smaller?

--------------
"And the sea will grant each man new hope..."

-CC

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,19:48   

Quote (Ichthyic @ Feb. 21 2007,19:38)
should the warning labels be smaller?

Yes, they should be smaller.  How many can we fit on the head of a pin?

--------------

Drew Headley

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,20:17   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Feb. 21 2007,19:24)
Mother of God, what does she think that Mr. Gooey Stuff is DOING in there?  Well, in the case of Uncommonly Denyse, not much. But in OTHER skulls, what is he doing THERE?

What kills me about this position is that advocates of ID, on one hand, argue that the human brain is an instance of IC that couldn't have arisen by means of natural selection, and, on the other, that the brain has nothing to do with human consciousness and cognition. Without batting an eye.

(You can't beat stuff like this on your best day, Dave.)

*Detachable ghosts.

The funny thing is that neuroscience just keeps moving right along. I just got back from a faculty recruitment talk where the topic was how reward timing is expressed in primary visual cortex! So hearing her try to parse out these different phenomena and speculate on how there is no neural basis for these behaviors is hilarious.

And sad.

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,20:36   

and sad

mostly sad.

I try not to laugh at the insane most times, though with these folks it is often hard to resist.

--------------
"And the sea will grant each man new hope..."

-CC

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,20:38   

Someone got DaveScot really, really angry.

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,20:49   

Meanwhile, DaveScot rewords my question and still gets the answer wrong.

Zachriel asks: What animal commonly found in a house weighs 150 pounds?

Zachriel as reworded by DaveScot: "What animal in the house commonly weighs 150 pounds?"

DaveScot: "Large breed dogs. Any other stupid questions I can answer for you in less than 30 seconds, Zach?"

Dogs can certainly weigh 150 lbs., but among dogs they are not common (DaveScot's rewording); and among animals found in houses, they are not common (original question) — especially when compared to other mammals found even more frequently in houses.

PZ does suggest that he has a pet kangaroo that weights ~150 lbs., but it is somewhat rare that people allow them in the house.

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,20:52   

Quote (Zachriel @ Feb. 22 2007,04:38)
Someone got DaveScot really, really angry.  :angry:

So he's denying he said this?

Robster

I doubt they could afford me even if I wanted to come out of retirement. I'm just an interested observer. I don't have cancer or know anyone who does (at the moment). The guy who started the DCA site discovered DCA by reading my articles on Uncommon Descent so I have a personal interest in how it turns out. There is now one person writing there who obtained a supply of DCA (works in the medical profession so was able to order pharmaceutical grade dichloroacetate acid sodium salt from TCI America), put it into 500mg capsules, and is taking two doses of 1000mg per day for 25mg/kg as used in the congenital lactic acidosis phase 2 trial. He's also taking 500mg of vitamin B1 to counter possible side-effect neuropathy. He has metastatic prostate cancer. We'll all know in 60 days or less whether DCA works in humans or not. If not for avarice we could have known two years ago. If it turns out the stuff works I don't know how the discovers will be able to sleep at night knowing they sat on this for 2 years trying to find a way to profit from it.

Posted by: DaveScot | February 17, 2007 12:18 PM

IF IT WORKS I'M TEH HERO-HOMO.

IF IT DOESN'T HE'S DEAD AND I'M STILL ALIVE.
HEADS YOU LOSE TAILS I LOOSE - FORL. I'M SO SMRT.I PISS MYSELF SOMETIMES.

--------------
The conservative has but little to fear from the man whose reason is the servant of his passions, but let him beware of him in whom reason has become the greatest and most terrible of the passions.These are the wreckers of outworn empires and civilisations, doubters, disintegrators, deicides.Haldane

bystander

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,20:53   

Quote (Zachriel @ Feb. 22 2007,13:38)
Someone got DaveScot really, really angry.

How dare PZ infer that Dave has a friend.

bystander

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,20:59   

Quote (k.e @ Feb. 22 2007,13:52)

Robster

I doubt they could afford me even if I wanted to come out of retirement. I'm just an interested observer. I don't have cancer or know anyone who does (at the moment). The guy who started the DCA site discovered DCA by reading my articles on Uncommon Descent so I have a personal interest in how it turns out. There is now one person writing there who obtained a supply of DCA (works in the medical profession so was able to order pharmaceutical grade dichloroacetate acid sodium salt from TCI America), put it into 500mg capsules, and is taking two doses of 1000mg per day for 25mg/kg as used in the congenital lactic acidosis phase 2 trial. He's also taking 500mg of vitamin B1 to counter possible side-effect neuropathy. He has metastatic prostate cancer. We'll all know in 60 days or less whether DCA works in humans or not. If not for avarice we could have known two years ago. If it turns out the stuff works I don't know how the discovers will be able to sleep at night knowing they sat on this for 2 years trying to find a way to profit from it.

No just that he has a friend

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,21:21   

Quote (bystander @ Feb. 22 2007,04:59)
Quote (k.e @ Feb. 22 2007,13:52)

Robster

No just that he has a friend

oh ..right. No wonder he's mad.

HOW DARE YOU CALL ME A PEOPLE LOVER -HOMO dt.

I'LL SEND OUT MY DAUGHTER TO FIND YOUR WARM BODY AND THEN I'LL EAT OUT YOUR HEART IN MY DARK AND SPOOKY GREEN TEA DEN.

P.S. IF MY WIFE IS READING THIS I DIDN'T PINCH MRS WHATSHERNAMES ASS OR MRS PERKYTITS TITS AT THE LAST BUNCO. NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAID.

--------------

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,21:50   

shaner74    
This PZ has got some b*lls for talking the way he does. Who the #### made him god of science? What has he published, anyway?

I think PZ is an atheist, so he probably wouldn't think he was a god. But he is a professor at the University of Minnesota, so a lot of people may confuse him with one. He also seems to have an inordinate interest in embryonic Danio rerio (Zebra fish) and has published in a variety of peer journals, including Nature, Neuroscience, Comparative Neurology, Computer Methods & Programs in Biomedicine, and Heredity.

Those darn scientists — always studying stuff.

--------------

Michael Tuite

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,22:13   

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,22:43   

Quote (Michael Tuite @ Feb. 21 2007,22:13)

You can borrow my cap any time!

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

someotherguy

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2007,23:54   

As WAD might say,

"I want to suggest that in this postmodern age," your art "serves as sophisticated rhetorical device that mirrors the subtext of" cartoonishness that "runs throughout" IDists' thinking.

--------------
Evolander in training

k.e

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 22 2007,00:19   

Quote (someotherguy @ Feb. 22 2007,07:54)

As WAD might say,

"I want to suggest that in this postmodern age," your art "serves as sophisticated rhetorical device that mirrors the subtext of" cartoonishness that "runs throughout" IDists' thinking.

Indeed the logos of don't know jack re-expressed in the idiom of post Darwinist non-materialism, celebrating the cacophony of bleating psychophants, and their discretionary dollars.

--------------

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 409 410 411 412 413 [414] 415 416 417 418 419 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]