RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (501) < ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 3, The Beast Marches On...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 23 2009,15:51   

Quote (Rrr @ Oct. 23 2009,14:00)
Wonder if the Heddle telescope could get pictures?

If that doesn't work, try the Hubble?

Rrr

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 23 2009,16:42   

Quote (Henry J @ Oct. 23 2009,15:51)
Quote (Rrr @ Oct. 23 2009,14:00)
Wonder if the Heddle telescope could get pictures?

If that doesn't work, try the Hubble?

If you think that works any better... :-)

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 23 2009,16:52   

Quote (RDK @ Oct. 24 2009,03:08)
Does anybody know what the dominant religion of the Caribbean is?

I had the pleasure of spending two weeks on Gordon's very own Montserrat around 15 years ago (just a matter of weeks before the volcano there started erupting - it went on to destroy the most populous area of the island). I remember being genuinely surprised at how completely religion - various Christian denominations - had saturated society there. It seemed to me that everyone was at church on Sunday mornings.

--------------
We no longer say: “Another day; another bad day for Darwinism.” We now say: “Another day since the time Darwinism was disproved.”
-PaV, Uncommon Descent, 19 June 2016

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 23 2009,18:08   

Quote (didymos @ Oct. 23 2009,01:36)
Quote (sparc @ Oct. 22 2009,23:19)
BTW, has anybody seen KairosFocus aks Gordon E. Mullings from Montserrat recently?

Well, he's not dead. His crappy blog has an October 22nd entry. He was bitching about gay rights being a neo-colonial imposition or something:

In short, the UK MPs in question hope to use colonial power to impose on unwilling Caribbean people of Judaeo-Christian heritage the novelty of so-called same-sex marriage, which is both repugnant to the overwhelming majority of the peoples of the Caribbean and which is credibly destructive to family life, the provision of a safe and stable environment for the nurture of children and corrupting of public order in general.

I'm sure he feels the same way about dressing "slutty" in court.

Wasn't that Judaeo-Christian heritage originally given to the locals via colonial power?

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 23 2009,18:23   

Quote (Texas Teach @ Oct. 23 2009,16:08)
Quote (didymos @ Oct. 23 2009,01:36)
Quote (sparc @ Oct. 22 2009,23:19)
BTW, has anybody seen KairosFocus aks Gordon E. Mullings from Montserrat recently?

Well, he's not dead. His crappy blog has an October 22nd entry. He was bitching about gay rights being a neo-colonial imposition or something:

In short, the UK MPs in question hope to use colonial power to impose on unwilling Caribbean people of Judaeo-Christian heritage the novelty of so-called same-sex marriage, which is both repugnant to the overwhelming majority of the peoples of the Caribbean and which is credibly destructive to family life, the provision of a safe and stable environment for the nurture of children and corrupting of public order in general.

I'm sure he feels the same way about dressing "slutty" in court.

Wasn't that Judaeo-Christian heritage originally given to the locals via colonial power?

Not only that, but colonial power is why most of the locals are the locals.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 23 2009,21:51   

Quote (Ptaylor @ Oct. 23 2009,16:52)

Quote (RDK @ Oct. 24 2009,03:08)
Does anybody know what the dominant religion of the Caribbean is?

I had the pleasure of spending two weeks on Gordon's very own Montserrat around 15 years ago (just a matter of weeks before the volcano there started erupting - it went on to destroy the most populous area of the island). I remember being genuinely surprised at how completely religion - various Christian denominations - had saturated society there. It seemed to me that everyone was at church on Sunday mornings.

His native country, Jamaica, has more churches per capita than any other country in the world.

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 23 2009,21:53   

Corny is going to orgasm.

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 24 2009,00:29   

Revisiting this comment...

Of course, if one goes strictly by acting credits, my Bacon number is still infinity. But it has since occurred to me that I do have a media production credit... I'm listed in the "Archival Materials" section of the credits for NOVA's "Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial" documentary.

Jay O. Sanders narrated "Judgment Day". According to the Oracle of Bacon, Sanders appeared with Bacon in 1979's "Starting Over", so Sanders has a Bacon number of 1, and I have a Bacon number of 2.

That gives me a joint Bacon/Erdos number of 4, rather than the 5 I had come up with before based on a personal encounter rather than a media production credit.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 24 2009,00:35   

More on Densey's high journalistic standards:
Journalists often report stories about which they have limited or no background.

Essentially, its me or nobody.

I remember writing about a guy who died in a water main accident in Ontario because he decided to solve the problem by scuba diving.

Not that I knew much about water mains or scuba diving. But I had to write something and I did.

And of course we can't expect journalists to learn something about the topics they cover.

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 24 2009,01:16   

And of course we can't expect journalists to learn something about the topics they cover.

I recall a story back when I worked for a college newspaper, the Independent Florida Alligator. I was a staff photographer, and was told to be at a particular power substation at a particular time in the afternoon to meet up with the power utility PR person. At issue was the storage of capacitors and transformers containing poly-chlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) on the power substation property, which happened to be adjacent to a subdivision. "Make sure to get a photo showing how close the transformers are to the neighborhood," was what I was told beforehand.

I arrived on time; the assigned reporter did not. I sat in the office with the PR person awaiting the reporter, which grew more uncomfortable as the time stretched on. We talked a bit about camera gear, including the monopod I brought along. Then he started talking topically.

"You know, there's more than just one chemical that's a PCB."

"Yes," I said, "there are 209 different congeners." We had covered PCBs in organic chemistry not too long before this.

The PR guy perked up at this. We talked about responsible storage, monitoring, and eventual disposal of the hazardous materials. It seemed to me that the utility was doing OK in how it was approaching things.

Unfortunately, the PR guy took my general knowledge about PCBs as an indication that he might be able to move the resulting article out of the generic "OMG!!! The public utility is putting this subdivision at risk!!!" category. I knew, though, that while I was trusted to get the picture, the editors would not be letting me anywhere near a typewriter on this. The content of the article was going to be up to the reporter, and she had no science background whatever.

And just as I had thought, the article was exactly the sort of hyperventilating hysterical piece I suspected was coming and the PR guy feared.

It turned out that I had left my monopod behind in the PR guy's office when the reporter finally arrived and we went out to see the storage area. I got my picture of the collected transformers and capacitors with the tract houses clearly seen as the backdrop, as ordered. I only realized I was missing the monopod after the story ran, and you could not have compelled me to show up in PR guy's office a second time after that. There's a certain excision of the conscience that many journalists achieve that I never managed. I hope PR guy got some use out of the monopod; I certainly missed it.

--------------

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 24 2009,10:20   

Someone should see if DO'L will cough up a link to her prose about the SCUBA incident.

Here is what a couple of journalists wrote about it.

It might be fun, for certain meanings of the word, to compare the two efforts.

--------------

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 24 2009,13:33   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ Oct. 24 2009,08:20)
Someone should see if DO'L will cough up a link to her prose about the SCUBA incident.

Wes, I don't think your scuba incident is the same as Densey's.

Your incident happened just two weeks ago and involved a dam. Denyse says she "remembers" writing about her incident and that it involved a water main. Addled though Denyse may be, I still think she can remember what she wrote two weeks ago (particularly if she links to it again and again).

Also, she seems to be referring to a time when she was entrusted with actual news stories, not just propaganda pieces.

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 24 2009,16:01   

Quote (keiths @ Oct. 24 2009,13:33)

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ Oct. 24 2009,08:20)

Wes, I don't think your scuba incident is the same as Densey's.

Your incident happened just two weeks ago and involved a dam. Denyse says she "remembers" writing about her incident and that it involved a water main. Addled though Denyse may be, I still think she can remember what she wrote two weeks ago (particularly if she links to it again and again).

Also, she seems to be referring to a time when she was entrusted with actual news stories, not just propaganda pieces.

I think I read Denyse's account of that incident. The headline was "Coffee!! Darwinist diver killed by government dam." Their weren't too many details in the story, but she did say she'd have more information in her forthcoming book, which you would be able to purchase.

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 24 2009,17:46   

Ah, I hadn't noticed the date on that. It still might be useful to compare prose style across incidents.

--------------

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 24 2009,19:14   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ Oct. 24 2009,18:46)
Ah, I hadn't noticed the date on that. It still might be useful to compare prose style across incidents.

...for certain meanings of the word "style"...

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Raevmo

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 25 2009,04:45   

I noticed the sidewiki comments at UD have disappeared. Same story at TT. Do site owners have the power to make that happen? If so, sidewiki is utterly useless.

--------------
After much reflection I finally realized that the best way to describe the cause of the universe is: the great I AM.

--GilDodgen

Raevmo

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 25 2009,08:01   

Mark Frank explains -- with a politeness that must be very hard to muster -- why he ignores the deranged drivel of bornagain77:

bornagain77

I am aware that you have been posting a lot of comment directed to me. I apologise for not responding but

1) they are typically long and include several external references which makes them extremely time consuming

2) we have such different ideas on almost everything that I feel we will never find enough common ground to make for an interesting debate

I am sure others will benefit from your comments but I wanted to explain why I am not responding.

Who benefits from his comments? I want names!

--------------
After much reflection I finally realized that the best way to describe the cause of the universe is: the great I AM.

--GilDodgen

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 25 2009,08:17   

I wonder how many teeth Mark ground down to a nub trying so hard not to use phrases like "fucking nutjob". The effort must have been herculean.

--------------

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 25 2009,08:45   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Oct. 25 2009,08:17)
I wonder how many teeth Mark ground down to a nub trying so hard not to use phrases like "fucking nutjob". The effort must have been herculean.

That's what makes it so effing frustrating to try and talk to creationists at their own sites; no matter how you try to 'behave' in a manner that fit their rigorous requirements you always risk being silently banned, censored and thrown out of the good company of true Christians. They fear contamination from both atheistic as well as Christian Darwinists may put their salvation at risk.

The fairytale forum rules says it all.

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

Raevmo

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 25 2009,09:06   

the fucking nutjob replies to Mark with gems like this:
Is it that you find the thought of God distasteful to your lifestyle? Surely this cant be for of what ultimate reward is it to you to be so biased to the point of denying reality? I surely can see no reward in denying the truth of reality (i.e. I would call it being delusional) and in fact in the long run, I deeply believe your stubbornness to face the reality of God dead on very well may lead to you being separated from the living God eternally, Yes, separated from The Living God who is the source of all Life and all that is good! (John 1:1)

Completely devoid of any self-awareness.

--------------

--GilDodgen

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 25 2009,10:17   

Quote (Raevmo @ Oct. 25 2009,10:06)
the fucking nutjob replies to Mark with gems like this:

Is it that you find the thought of God distasteful to your lifestyle? Surely this cant be for of what ultimate reward is it to you to be so biased to the point of denying reality? I surely can see no reward in denying the truth of reality (i.e. I would call it being delusional) and in fact in the long run, I deeply believe your stubbornness to face the reality of God dead on very well may lead to you being separated from the living God eternally, Yes, separated from The Living God who is the source of all Life and all that is good! (John 1:1)

ALL SCIENCE SO FAR

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell.Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 25 2009,10:30   

Quote (Raevmo @ Oct. 25 2009,06:01)
Mark Frank explains -- with a politeness that must be very hard to muster -- why he ignores the deranged drivel of bornagain77:

bornagain77

I am aware that you have been posting a lot of comment directed to me. I apologise for not responding but

1) they are typically long and include several external references which makes them extremely time consuming

2) we have such different ideas on almost everything that I feel we will never find enough common ground to make for an interesting debate

I am sure others will benefit from your comments but I wanted to explain why I am not responding.

Who benefits from his comments? I want names!

Mark nixes StephenB as well:
I am sorry StephenB you are also on my do not respond list. For rather different reasons. I am too weak to handle your very forthright debating style (my fault I am sure). I will stick with vjtorley.

--------------

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 25 2009,10:32   

I think that would define all IDiots.

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

That's so fucking stupid it merits a wing in the museum of stupid. -midwifetoad

Frequency is just the plural of wavelength...
-JoeG

Mark Frank

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 25 2009,10:45   

It was indeed rather a toothless comment  :)

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 25 2009,11:04   

Mark's wickedness is disguised as self-deprecation:
I am sorry StephenB you are also on my do not respond list. For rather different reasons. I am too weak to handle your very forthright debating style (my fault I am sure). I will stick with vjtorley.

"Forthright." Heh heh. Ha ha ha. Heeeeee.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 25 2009,11:44   

Surprise! Jehu the Yahoo continues to lie, most probably because he's a fucking liar.

Jehu

10/20/2009

11:01 am

Let us not forget that there was no common ancestor. As I have pointed out numerous times, the leading researchers on the phylogenetics of single cell organisms such as Woese and Doolittle have come to the conclusion that there was no common ancestor to life.

Someone with a sock might want to remind the little fucking liar that I personally emailed Doolittle about this, and Doolittle's swift reply amounted to 'Jehu is full of shit' (though Doolittle was somewhat more polite in his dismissal of Jehu's dishonesty*). Jehu has been informed of this, and should stop lying about it, so he doesn't wind up in the same boat as Floyd Lee (that would be the boat over the River Acheron).

Phlegeton - River of Fire, by Pandiyan.**

*ETA: Jehu's is the tried-and-true lie by quotemine. The short version of Doolittle's contention is not (as Jehu would portray it) that there "is no common ancestor" (and therefore no common ancestry), but rather was beautifully mentioned by a scientist of some note a few years back when he said,

There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.

**From the photographer, for those whose reading of Divine Comedy may be a distant memory:

Greek Mythology talks of five rivers separating the land of the living and the dead. Phelegeton was one of them - The River of Fire. It burned but did not consume any fuel. (People have always wished for things which come without cost! But of course that it happened only in hell is what we should note)

The other rivers are hate (Styx), forgetfulness (Lethe), woeful (Acheron) and wailing (Cocytus). Charon the ferryman helped one cross the river and one paid him with a coin people left in the mouth of the dead. (Wages are that bad anywhere) Everyone drank from Lethe forgetting everything (thankfully) and finally the dead souls come face-to-face with Cerberus, the two-headed dog. One just threw the honeycake Greeks used to leave in the mouth along with the coin and quieten Cerberus down, (Burglers have not forgotten this tip till today)

This very same river figures in Dante's Divine Comedy too which relishes describing the gory details of what dead souls go through. Phlegeton is in the outer ring of Circle 7 specially reserved for those violent against others. Mind you, worse fate awaited those violent against themselves or God in the middle ring and the inner ring.

As with all the good stories and clever thrillers, Greek Myths also describe ways and means of getting through all these. But the tricks are reserved for Heroes. Say like hercules who went inside and brought Cerberus out for some fresh air. Some villains too were equally smart as Sisyphus who cheated Death.

Fine, what is this photograph? Obviously, it is not Hades because photography is strictly verboten there.

Edited by Lou FCD on Oct. 25 2009,12:57

--------------

Maya

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 25 2009,12:15   

Quote (Raevmo @ Oct. 25 2009,04:45)
I noticed the sidewiki comments at UD have disappeared. Same story at TT. Do site owners have the power to make that happen? If so, sidewiki is utterly useless.

It's probably just a glitch, but if anyone would complain to Sidewiki, it would be Barry "Free Speech" Arrington.

Raevmo

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 25 2009,13:30   

bornagain77 is an asshole, too
ELL, IF you had truly done your best to understand the evidence so far then you wouldnt be an evolutionist anymore would you? So why should I trust you anymore than I trust that paradigm of atheistic virtue: the non-debating and blatantly deceptive Dawkins: or even the Eucharist desecrating militant Meyers??
For you to so graciously offer to sit on the sidelines and take potshots at arguments, without ever truly considering the merits of the issue, is a little less than forthright with the matter and has not enhanced my opinion of your debating style, or inherent honesty, in the least.

The lunatic now seems have his own blog as well:

http://lettherebelight-77.blogspot.com/

Moderated of course.

And just a single post, dated October 19, 2009. It reads almost exactly as any of his crazy UD screeds, except it's 100 times as long. He probably uses it as a convenient online source for his cut-and-paste jobs. Maybe he even uses a random sampler to generate automatic posts. What a maroon.

--------------

--GilDodgen

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 25 2009,14:00   

Quote (Maya @ Oct. 25 2009,12:15)

Quote (Raevmo @ Oct. 25 2009,04:45)

It's probably just a glitch, but if anyone would complain to Sidewiki, it would be Barry "Free Speech" Arrington.

Sidewiki is still running. Comments by: Jack Mollier, Tom English, Colin Purrington and Alan FOx

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 25 2009,14:11   

Denyse's Spanish is no better than her English:
However, on this issue, I am with Barb: I was warned by a neighbour on the front steps of our semi on 9-11 that the United States was under direct attack. I actually saw the second plane go in. THAT was a design inference.

One plane? Maybe a drunk pilot. Two planes? Nada.

Four planes with directed targets? Direct attack for sure.

And "directed targets"? WTF, Denyse -- you think the targets slammed into the planes?

--------------

15001 replies since Sep. 04 2009,16:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (501) < ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]