RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (527) < ... 513 514 515 516 517 [518] 519 520 521 522 523 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 5, Return To Teh Dingbat Buffet< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Jkrebs

(Permalink) Posted: July 12 2021,22:01   

After referencing a recent article estimating the number of atoms in the universe at 10^82, News makes an amazingly stupid remark:

If this figure of 10^82 is reasonable, we could ask questions like the likelihood of throwing a billion heads in a row in coin tosses. If that’s out of range, what about the likelihood of similar feats created by natural selection acting on random mutation (Darwinism)?

Yep, things happening in the real world, whether they involve evolution or just everyday events, is just like flipping coins!

Arrggghhh.

Link

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 13 2021,08:51   

MikeW
July 13, 2021 at 6:38 am
Jerry@4, your assertion that “the ID literature has almost zero effect” is incorrect. In fact, the ID literature has spawned a significant amount of research and results, from William Dembski’s theoretical breakthroughs in information theory, to Doug Axe’s and Ann Gauger’s ground-breaking work on protein folds, to the ID-confirming results of the ENCODE project, to Michael Behe’s insights on Darwinian devolution, to Stephen Meyer’s Return of the God Hypothesis. In any new scientific paradigm shift, the most significant early progress is achieved by a tiny fraction of the scientific community. This small group leads the way until the rest of the community eventually sees the light and catches up.
Is somebody fucking with me?

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: July 13 2021,15:12   

Quote (stevestory @ July 13 2021,08:51)
MikeW
Jerry@4, your assertion that “the ID literature has almost zero effect” is incorrect. In fact, the ID literature has spawned a significant amount of research and results, from William Dembski’s theoretical breakthroughs in information theory, to Doug Axe’s and Ann Gauger’s ground-breaking work on protein folds, to the ID-confirming results of the ENCODE project, to Michael Behe’s insights on Darwinian devolution, to Stephen Meyer’s Return of the God Hypothesis. In any new scientific paradigm shift, the most significant early progress is achieved by a tiny fraction of the scientific community. This small group leads the way until the rest of the community eventually sees the light and catches up.

I can imagine a day when some number of socks from people here are the only ones over there, and all they do is fuck with the rest of the people over here.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: July 13 2021,19:33   

Quote (Texas Teach @ July 13 2021,15:12)
MikeW

I can imagine a day when some number of socks from people here are the only ones over there, and all they do is fuck with the rest of the people over here.

Won’t be me. I have one active sock but I am only using it to bait Joke. So far, he has taken it hook, line and sinker. And he is too stupid to even know who I am.

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: July 13 2021,20:42   

Quote (stevestory @ July 13 2021,06:51)
MikeW

hahaha.

The title of that post reminds of the link "How do vaccines cause autism?"... when you go there all you get is, in large print, "THEY DON'T".

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: July 15 2021,08:44   

Quote (Texas Teach @ July 13 2021,23:12)
MikeW

Yup it'll be free lunches and guaranteed single malts all the way down.

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: July 15 2021,10:47   

So it's not turtles after all? Huh.

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: July 15 2021,11:26   

Quote (Henry J @ July 15 2021,10:47)
So it's not turtles after all? Huh.

Who did you think was drinking all the scotch?

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 17 2021,18:32   

Mahuna

July 17, 2021 at 4:54 pm
I had NEVER previously heard that modern “domesticated” dogs existed in parallel with (BEFORE??) wolves.
Nobody tell him that they exist in parallel now  :p  :D  :)

https://uncommondescent.com/intelli....-734338

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: July 17 2021,22:08   

Jack, the hyperskepticism, rejection of the need to respect common sense (on pain of self-referential undermining of credibility of rationality) and the insertion of a switcheroo implied to be just as good is now a cultural theme being pushed by forces of chaos. The pattern is the problem, deeper than specific cases, which are many. Up to and including now a blatant Reichstag fire agitprop ploy. KF

Who the fuck talks like this???

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 17 2021,22:32   

Quote (Acartia_Bogart @ July 17 2021,23:08)
Jack, the hyperskepticism, rejection of the need to respect common sense (on pain of self-referential undermining of credibility of rationality) and the insertion of a switcheroo implied to be just as good is now a cultural theme being pushed by forces of chaos. The pattern is the problem, deeper than specific cases, which are many. Up to and including now a blatant Reichstag fire agitprop ploy. KF

A guy who’s never had a Communication class, and has a natural lack of talent.

Jack, the hyperskepticism, rejection of the need to respect common sense (on pain of self-referential undermining of credibility of rationality)

I would rewrite that as

Jack, you’re skeptical about things you shouldn’t be, and it undermines your credibility.
The rest of it I would just draw a line through. I have no idea what that turgid gibberish is supposed to mean.  :p

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: July 19 2021,15:49   

Moving Civilization Forward
L&FP, 47: The Challenge Of “Proof” In A World Of Radical Doubt And Hyperskepticism

I would have cut and pasted the OP, but why? You could see the same thing by taking everything he has written, randomly selecting 1% of the text and graphics, and you would have it. But the big red exercise ball never gets old.

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: July 20 2021,03:11   

Quote (Acartia_Bogart @ July 19 2021,15:49)
Moving Civilization Forward
L&FP, 47: The Challenge Of “Proof” In A World Of Radical Doubt And Hyperskepticism

I would have cut and pasted the OP, but why? You could see the same thing by taking everything he has written, randomly selecting 1% of the text and graphics, and you would have it. But the big red exercise ball never gets old.

I trained an AI on his posts to write more kf-style blog posts. I'm still waiting for it to finish writing the first one.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Jkrebs

(Permalink) Posted: July 20 2021,14:41   

Someone made fun of KF for the big red ball once, and KF went off on that person about his denying the law of identity. KF has absolutely no sense of humor nor self-awareness of how he appears to others.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 20 2021,15:02   

my first thought is, well, maybe English is, like, his eighth language. But no, it doesn’t matter how many languages you know, that thought process would be disordered in Esperanto.

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: July 20 2021,18:51   

Quote (Acartia_Bogart @ July 17 2021,20:08)

Pinheads in love with themselves.

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: July 20 2021,18:58   

Maybe egophiles?

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2021,10:55   

Martin_r
July 21, 2021 at 9:40 am

They do not affect or interact with our DNA in any way.

mRNA never enters the nucleus of the cell, which is where our DNA (genetic material) is kept.

Seversky, look here:

PNAS (May 25):

“Reverse-transcribed SARS-CoV-2 RNA can integrate into the genome of cultured human cells and can be expressed in patient-derived tissues”

https://www.pnas.org/content....5968118

Seversky, so now what?

Somehow martin didn’t take any engineering courses about different types of rna  :p

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2021,14:29   

Start Here, and scroll until your scroll wheel becomes hot to the touch, and tell me this guy’s mentally healthy.

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2021,14:36   

Request denied!

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 21 2021,16:07   

Quote (Henry J @ July 21 2021,15:36)
Request denied!

:p  :p  :p

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2021,00:07   

From O'Leary:
Only a small portion of the human genome is unique
[...]
It’s interesting but why should it be a surprise? Only a small portion of the English language is unique, for example. Almost all of it depends on previous languages. And all languages depend on previous languages, going back to … we don’t know where? The good thing about mysteries is that they are fun.

She must be referring to Adam and the rib thing.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2021,00:09   

O'Leary:
Readers, thinkers: Wake up and figure out what time it is

Obviously, UD readers and thinkers are two different species.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2021,07:27   

Quote (sparc @ July 22 2021,01:07)
From O'Leary:

Only a small portion of the human genome is unique
[...]
It’s interesting but why should it be a surprise? Only a small portion of the English language is unique, for example. Almost all of it depends on previous languages. And all languages depend on previous languages, going back to … we don’t know where? The good thing about mysteries is that they are fun.

Pfft. Languages don’t evolve! Slang is just Microevolution! Nobody ever saw Albanian turn into Japanese! All languages were poofed into existence because of the Tower of Babel!

Edited by stevestory on July 22 2021,11:01

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2021,09:58   

Quote (stevestory @ July 22 2021,05:27)

Pfft. Languages don’t evolve! Slang is just Microevolution! Nobody ever saw Albanian turn into Japanese! All languages were poofed into existence because of the Tower of Babel!

Excellent.

POTM

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2021,10:02   

Quote (Dr.GH @ July 22 2021,10:58)
Excellent.

POTM

First time I’ve ever given myself that.  :p

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2021,11:07   

I don‘t want to spoil the party but isn‘t it rather potw.

--------------

- William Dembski -

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2021,11:48   

Quote (sparc @ July 22 2021,12:07)
I don‘t want to spoil the party but isn‘t it rather potw.

We don’t have a potm graphic.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: July 22 2021,11:51   

MikeW
July 22, 2021 at 9:59 am
BA77@39, your comment is barely coherent (perhaps too many commas and “then if” clauses?), but if I understand correctly the part that seems to say that “material processes cannot create new information”, then I would respectfully disagree. Material processes create new information all the time, especially information processing machines like computers. I look at newly-created computer-generated weather information every day.

I agree that the information itself isn’t physical. But the substrate where the information is created and processed can be physical.

Even biological plants (which I don’t believe are conscious) create, process, analyze and distribute environmental information from cells in one part of their structure to other parts (e.g. from leaves to roots and vice versa).

So it seems strange to argue that a complex structure like the brain cannot create new information using material processes, with or without a consciousness.
link

LOL

Edited by stevestory on July 22 2021,12:52

Jkrebs

(Permalink) Posted: July 23 2021,13:58   

Querius asks Seversky:

Can a chihuahua be selectively bred from a chipmunk, given enough time and mutations?

Seversky? Hello?

That's just about the stupidest question someone's asked over there for awhile.

Link

15792 replies since Dec. 29 2013,11:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (527) < ... 513 514 515 516 517 [518] 519 520 521 522 523 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]