RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (527) < ... 510 511 512 513 514 [515] 516 517 518 519 520 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 5, Return To Teh Dingbat Buffet< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2021,15:25   

The science is coming out fast and furious at UD!

AaronS1978
June 16, 2021 at 10:51 am
@ 27 BA77

No no no no it’s not Catholic doctrine
The only thing in Catholic doctrine is we have a rational soul that is eternal

This is an in-house issue that is hotly debated like the death penalty

I’m Catholic I am most certainly of the opinion that my fur babies and my scaly friends have souls

Honestly I think all of life does

Just we’re the ones made in god’s image
And have the capacity to disobey God’s law

Davidl1
June 16, 2021 at 11:43 am
I’m certainly not an expert on these things, but I think there is Biblical support for the idea that animals are more than automatons.

Genesis 9:5 says that God would demand an accounting from “each animal” (in addition to humans), and Genesis 9:9, 10 says that God established a covenant with both humans and animals. Both of those scriptures indicate that animals have free will and are not just automatons

Nephesh, the word that is translated to soul, is used to describe both animals and humans.

Ecclesiastes talks about how humans and animals have the same eventuality. I think Ecclesiastes also talks about what happens to the “spirit” of an animal when it dies.

Frankly, It’s hard to see anything that supports the idea that animals are just meat robots (as somebody here has posted in the past).

LOL

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2021,16:53   

Looks like KF is lording over McManus now.

Karen McMannus
June 16, 2021 at 2:52 pm
APOLOGY DUE

Karen McMannus
June 16, 2021 at 3:02 pm
APOLOGY DUE

(Above, 90, there is a first outline response to the God is a murderer accusation, for any who are perplexed. KM has been directed to sources where more substantial engagement is in the remit.)

Creepy old man cretin.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2021,17:11   

Karen McMannus
June 16, 2021 at 3:56 pm
KF: APOLOGY DUE

Annnnnd, here we have brazen censorship.

For those watching, there was no profanity in the post that KF censored. It’s simply criticism of his hypocrisy.

Stalin would be proud of you, KF.

Evil in the service of “higher truth.”

Karen McMannus
June 16, 2021 at 4:03 pm
KF: God is a murderer accusation

Hehe. Nice try. I don’t accuse the real God of anything. I accuse you, your views of the creator.

You make the creator out to be a monster.

In the case of Milada Horakova, which you like to use as an example of evil… if you would have interviewed the instigators of that kangaroo trial, many if not most would have believe they were doing “the right thing” in the service of a “higher truth.”

But you are worse. You assent to the murder of babies in the service of higher truth.

It isn’t the creator who ordered that. It’s fiction. And you assent to it. Murder of babies in the service of higher truth.

You are worse than Milada Horakova’s persecutors.

And you are a censor now.

The mask has been ripped off. Your game is clear for all to see.

Barry and Denise should be ashamed that they assent to your hypocracy.

https://tinyurl.com/yutkxbu....utkxbus

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2021,18:38   

That was then, here are those two comments now:
Karen McMannus
June 16, 2021 at 3:56 pm
KF: APOLOGY DUE
Annnnnd, here we have brazen censorship.
For those watching, there was no profanity in the post that KF censored. It’s simply criticism of his hypocrisy.
Stalin would be proud of you, KF.
Evil in the service of “higher truth.”
Doubling down, wrong move. Especially given what was done above, esp 80 ff. KF, Thread owner

Karen McMannus
June 16, 2021 at 4:03 pm
FURTHER DOUBLING DOWN.

Edited by Ptaylor on June 17 2021,12:00

--------------
We no longer say: “Another day; another bad day for Darwinism.” We now say: “Another day since the time Darwinism was disproved.”
-PaV, Uncommon Descent, 19 June 2016

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2021,18:52   

Are you suggesting that KF is deleting comments which accuse KF of deleting comments? That doesn’t seem likely!  :D  :p  :D  :p  :D

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: June 17 2021,03:43   

To nobody's great surprise
kairosfocus
June 17, 2021 at 1:27 am

For cause, sadly, KM is no longer with us. KF, thread owner

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 17 2021,05:34   

Quote (Bob O'H @ June 17 2021,04:43)
[URL=https://uncommondescent.com/ethics/lfp-44a-what-is-2-2-mr-smith-1984-as-demonstration-of-how-first-duties-and-first-truths-ar

e-inextricably-intertwined/#comment-732802]To nobody's great surprise[/URL]
kairosfocus
June 17, 2021 at 1:27 am

For cause, sadly, KM is no longer with us. KF, thread owner

So sad when Cancel Culture rears its ugly head.  :(

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: June 17 2021,13:13   

Ten (Or So) Pro-Intelligent Design Books You Should Read

He forgot to include the Bible. :)

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: June 17 2021,14:42   

Maybe when some of those books are recommended by people who grok the basics of science?

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 17 2021,18:07   

Quote (Acartia_Bogart @ June 17 2021,14:13)
Ten (Or So) Pro-Intelligent Design Books You Should Read

He forgot to include the Bible. :)

Disco Tute doesn’t get royalties from the bible. It’s not a very good scam if you’re not stackin’ cheese. :p

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 17 2021,18:11   

KRock

June 17, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Embarrassingly, I have only read (and own) one of the 10 books mentioned in your video, “Signature in the Cell: DNA and the Evidence for Intelligent Design.

Reading ‘Signature in the Cell’ is embarrassing, but CRock doesn’t know why.  :p

https://uncommondescent.com/evoluti....-732837

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 17 2021,20:56   

Jonathan Bartlett: Intelligent Design Is Not What Most People Think It Is

You Cdesign proponentsists told us exactly what it is, dum-dum.  :p

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2021,02:17   

Quote (Amadan @ May 06 2021,02:13)
<An ancient cob-webbed door creaks briefly in protest and collapses in a heap of rotten splinters. A figure emerges from a long-neglected crypt, covered in dust and orange crumbs of what appear to be some sort of snack food.>

<The figure is not holding the Niblet Stick. >

Hi folks, a brief return to the alma materialist to report some exciting news!

The dominant political party in Northern Ireland is about to appoint an unapologetic YEC as its leader and the g[l]ory days of AFDave are about to return for us. I can't begin to say how thrilled we all are!

That is all. Back to whatever Good Works you were doing. Just remember that they won't save you.

Edwin Poots, YEC "political leader" pleases Amadan by some record-breaking resigning!

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2021,03:46   

Quote (Alan Fox @ June 18 2021,02:17)
<An ancient cob-webbed door creaks briefly in protest and collapses in a heap of rotten splinters. A figure emerges from a long-neglected crypt, covered in dust and orange crumbs of what appear to be some sort of snack food.>

The dominant political party in Northern Ireland is about to appoint an unapologetic YEC as its leader and the g[l]ory days of AFDave are about to return for us. I can't begin to say how thrilled we all are!

That is all. Back to whatever Good Works you were doing. Just remember that they won't save you.

Edwin Poots, YEC "political leader" pleases Amadan by some record-breaking resigning!

you know, I would feel sorry for them. They've been royally shafted by Boris & co. in London, and are being asked to share power with what was a front group for terrorists(*). But, well, it is the DUP.

(*) whatever the rights or wrongs of the IRA's cause or their methods, I think it's difficult not to describe their activities as terrorism.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: June 18 2021,16:24   

Quote (Bob O'H @ June 17 2021,22:46)
Quote (Alan Fox @ June 18 2021,02:17)

you know, I would feel sorry for them. They've been royally shafted by Boris & co. in London, and are being asked to share power with what was a front group for terrorists(*). But, well, it is the DUP.

(*) whatever the rights or wrongs of the IRA's cause or their methods, I think it's difficult not to describe their activities as terrorism.

Well the Troubles effectively ended over twenty years ago with the Good Friday agreement. Demographic changes will ensure a United Ireland (at minimum shared sovereignty) within a decade or two.

Probably not the right thread (or forum) to be discussing the politics of the island of Ireland but I certainly agree Boris Johnson bears major responsibility for the current mess.

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: June 19 2021,09:38   

Well the Troubles effectively ended over twenty years ago with the Good Friday agreement

I hope so, although I reckon I could find a few graves of IRA/UDA sympathisers simply using a metal detector.

--------------

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: June 19 2021,09:47   

You may have seen this, but here's some fun stuff about Richard Lenski's evolution experiment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v....AQvEH-M

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: June 19 2021,17:07   

Quote (Bob O'H @ June 19 2021,04:38)
Well the Troubles effectively ended over twenty years ago with the Good Friday agreement

I hope so, although I reckon I could find a few graves of IRA/UDA sympathisers simply using a metal detector.

You're trying to reason with mad people.

https://uncommondescent.com/video....-732936

Acartia_Bogart

(Permalink) Posted: June 19 2021,18:44   

BO’H, the focus of this thread is implication logic, foundational to a lot of our thinking. The side issues and long since adequately answered objections come across as a distraction from far more serious matters, Besides, you are a highly educated person and you know the difference between acts of intelligence and identification of particular agents. There is no contradiction as you try to allege, you know full well that causal efficacy of intelligence brims over from the computer technology we are using, and that the technology is replete with signs of such. So, we identify design as an effective process which may leave reliable signs. Cell based life is replete with those signs and we may infer abductively to intelligent cause. However, that is worlds apart from say identifying that a ship from the Andromeda galaxy visited our sol system and used its molecular nanotech lab to seed our primitive planet with terraforming first life etc, or that they did it on orders of their high Senate. Or some other such thing. Your objection fails, and fails in ways that raise questions

OK. $20 for whoever can name this pompous, condescending, arrogant, moron. And, first hint, it’s not Joe.

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: June 20 2021,01:46   

How tf does this pompous windbag even function in the real world? It would take him 45 minutes just to order a pizza.

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 20 2021,02:37   

Martin_r
June 19, 2021 at 11:04 pm
Finally !!!

Designed things = purposeful arrangement of parts

I am a mechanical engineer, and this is the definition i finally like. Now even guys like Seversky, JVL & Co. can understand…

Actually, i was using very similar definition in my debates with Darwinists (“Thousands of parts working together for a purpose”)

In my debates, Darwinian clowns very often argued with the following: “look at a snow flake, also appears to be designed (and no designer was needed)”….

Seversky, JVL & Co, … of course, a visual appearance can give you some clues as well, but this is not what is meant by intelligently designed things … Now, you Darwinists have to find examples of things (not made of cells) where thousands of parts working together for a purpose and were not designed)… (we ID people consider cells/biology designed, that is why you have to find another example)

Salem Hypothesis

The Salem Hypothesis is the observation of an apparent correlation between the engineering trade and creationist beliefs (possibly due to crank magnetism, this can also include climate-change denial and other crackpot beliefs).

The hypothesis suggests that people who claim science expertise, whilst advocating creationism, tend to be formally trained as engineers[1] (with the possible exception of chemical engineers).

This hypothesis does not address whether engineers tend to be creationists (the converse); however, it has been speculated that engineering predisposes people to a creation-science view.[citation needed]

There is some evidence that this characterization of respected members of the esteemed engineering profession can actually be extrapolated out to fundamentalism and quackery of all kinds.[2]

LOL

Edited by stevestory on June 20 2021,03:37

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 20 2021,02:48   

Quote (fnxtr @ June 20 2021,02:46)
How tf does this pompous windbag even function in the real world? It would take him 45 minutes just to order a pizza.

He’s an elderly guy in the Caribbean, his kids probly make sure he has the basic necessities. Same with BatShit77, but with better temperatures.  :p

Edited by stevestory on June 20 2021,03:49

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: June 20 2021,03:00   

Quote (Alan Fox @ June 19 2021,17:07)
Quote (Bob O'H @ June 19 2021,04:38)

You're trying to reason with mad people.

https://uncommondescent.com/video......-732936

Guilty as charged.

TBH I was surprised our loquacious friend would make such a comment without realising what he was writing. More fool me.

--------------

KevinB

(Permalink) Posted: June 21 2021,04:22   

Quote (fnxtr @ June 20 2021,01:46)

He doesn't order pizza.

He copy-and-pastes a fishing reel catalogue into the order form on the pizza place's web site.

The pizza people don't read the order, but they recognise who it's from and put up the usual - a Hawaiian with extra anchovies and chillies.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 21 2021,11:00   

KRock
June 21, 2021 at 9:08 am
Science has become increasingly politicized. More importantly, though, science has caved to the demands of the radical left, who derive truth via their emotions and not from facts.

Good luck science, it was nice knowing you!

LOL

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 21 2021,11:08   

Polistra
June 21, 2021 at 10:00 am

China has owned us for 40 years. We surrendered. War over.

I’m terminally tired of fake surprise and fake subjunctives.

“Oh dear! If we’re not careful, China might accidentally start to gain a little bit of influence! We need to support the Correct Side to avoid this potential threat in the distant future!”

Derp

Edited by stevestory on June 21 2021,15:29

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: June 21 2021,12:48   

Quote (stevestory @ June 21 2021,10:00)
KRock
June 21, 2021 at 9:08 am
Science has become increasingly politicized. More importantly, though, science has caved to the demands of the radical left, who derive truth via their emotions and not from facts.

Good luck science, it was nice knowing you!

LOL

There ought to be a good punch line for that one!  :p

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: June 21 2021,13:12   

Quote (stevestory @ June 21 2021,09:08)

Polistra
June 21, 2021 at 10:00 am

China has owned us for 40 years. We surrendered. War over.

I’m terminally tired of fake surprise and fake subjunctives.

“Oh dear! If we’re not careful, China might accidentally start to gain a little bit of influence! We need to support the Correct Side to avoid this potential threat in the distant future!”

[URL=https://uncommondescent.com/intelligent-design/nature-attempts-to-paper-over-a-genuine-and-reasonable-lack-of-trust-in-china-over-covid-1

9/#comment-733051]Derp[/URL]

I blame Nixon. 😁

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 21 2021,19:21   

Mohammadnursyamsu
June 21, 2021 at 6:00 pm
I did some 20 minutes internet search on what could possibly be the “decision state” of the cell, where the DNA is chosen. I found there was some cell state in which a cell closes off from the environment. I guess that would be the decision state, because I figured that for making decisions there should not be any interactions, so that the DNA could be in a quantum state of possibilities.

This cell state is related to cancer. I figure cancer is mostly cells going their own way, in disregard of the rest of the body. So maybe in cancer the cell is actively choosing it’s DNA, trying to survive in the body environment, and it’s not actually accidental DNA damage.

It would be interesting what some actual intelligent design researcher would come up with, if they studied what the most likely cell state would be, for when the DNA is chosen.

LOL ‘Intelligent Design researcher’

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: June 21 2021,20:28   

"chosen" ????

Do they really think a cell knows what each bit of DNA does? How it affects the phenotype? (Is that the right word there?)

15792 replies since Dec. 29 2013,11:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (527) < ... 510 511 512 513 514 [515] 516 517 518 519 520 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]