RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (43) < ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] >   
  Topic: Will a "Gay Gene" Refute Evolution?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
ericmurphy

(Permalink) Posted: May 28 2006,13:49   

I think Thordaddy should be forced to get married. (Oops, I mean, he should be FORCED to get married.) At gunpoint, if necessary. After all, he's wasted 42 pages telling everyone how marriage is the foundation of civilization and the source of all that is good and right in society. Yet, somehow he doesn't seem to think he should have to get married.

It's for the good of the children, after all.

--------------
2006 MVD award for most dogged defense of scientific sanity

"Atheism is a religion the same way NOT collecting stamps is a hobby." —Scott Adams

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: May 28 2006,13:56   

Other people's refusal to submit to traditional marriage is destroying society. His own refusal is perfectly fine and shouldn't be the focus of legislation. Let's see, what's that called again....

jupiter

(Permalink) Posted: May 28 2006,14:58   

So, when gay people say they just want to be able to visit their spouses in the hospital or let them inheret their property by default or file for joint insurance policies, what they REALLY want is to undermine the "larger societal meaning" of marriage. Yeah, makes sense.

You need to distinguish between ordinary homosexuals and the radical activists.  Ordinary homosexuals may want these things, but this isn't the underlying motivation of the radical gays.

Thord, how does one make this distinction? Attire? Voice pitch? Wrist angle? Are there different signifiers for gays v. lesbians? Just out of curiosity -- how many of the people you regularly interact with are "ordinary homosexuals"? How many are "radical activists"? You're professing a remarkable expertise in distinguishing subgroups within the homosexual population. How did you acquire this esoteric knowledge?

Now, I don't have dental insurance right now, but she does. It would be cheaper on both of us if I could be on her policy. But we can't because we're not married. Ah! But at her company if we were the same sex, we could. This is obvious discrimination. Non-married (legally) gay partners can apply for joint health/dental insurance policies, but non-married hetero couples cannot.

PuckSR, it's obvious discrimination only if you're an obvious idiot. Earlier in the same post, you said that you and your girlfriend have chosen, absent progeny, to "live in sin" -- which is perfectly fine. Gay couples don't have that choice. You're arguing that since homosexual couples are barred from legal marriage, they should also be deprived of any of the benefits of marriage, such as partner or family dental coverage. (Please note that one of the arguments against gay marriage is the availability of legal or policy work-arounds, such as those at wherever your non-missus works.)

Does that make any sense at all to you? (Thord, I'm not soliciting your opinion here.)

PuckSR

(Permalink) Posted: May 28 2006,16:46   

PuckSR, it's obvious discrimination only if you're an obvious idiot. Earlier in the same post, you said that you and your girlfriend have chosen, absent progeny, to "live in sin" -- which is perfectly fine. Gay couples don't have that choice. You're arguing that since homosexual couples are barred from legal marriage, they should also be deprived of any of the benefits of marriage, such as partner or family dental coverage. (Please note that one of the arguments against gay marriage is the availability of legal or policy work-arounds, such as those at wherever your non-missus works.)

Does that make any sense at all to you?

Wow....
I dont even know how to respond....since that wasnt my post....
Also...that wasnt my argument....or anything near my argument....
Sorry...but I think you were aiming that comment elsewhere..
Im the pooka

jupiter

(Permalink) Posted: May 29 2006,18:48   

My apologies, PuckSR. BeerVolcano is the obvious idiot here, right behind me. (May I redeem my Chang-Eng points? Not that I want to, necessarily. I might need them later.)

1264 replies since April 04 2006,15:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (43) < ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]