RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (527) < ... 156 157 158 159 160 [161] 162 163 164 165 166 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 5, Return To Teh Dingbat Buffet< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 30 2015,10:58   

Larry MoranOctober 30, 2015 at 7:59 am
Mapou says,

Only a very small subset of mutations are neutral. The others are immediately repaired, otherwise everything would die.

This is very wrong. Could one of the ID proponents please explain to Mapou why he is wrong? I don’t think he’ll believe anything I say.

This is an excellent opportunity for some of you to show the world that you really understand evolution and you are embarrassed by ID proponents who spout such nonsense on an ID blog.

Waiting ….

MapouOctober 30, 2015 at 9:51 am
Moran:
Mapou says,
Only a very small subset of mutations are neutral. The others are immediately repaired, otherwise everything would die.

This is very wrong. Could one of the ID proponents please explain to Mapou why he is wrong? I don’t think he’ll believe anything I say.
In other words, you’re lying again. You remind me of Zachriel.

MungOctober 30, 2015 at 9:52 am
Larry Moran:

This is an excellent opportunity for some of you to show the world that you really understand evolution and you are embarrassed by ID proponents who spout such nonsense on an ID blog.

Waiting ….

We already tried. We were ignored. And yes, now it’s embarrassing, because he continues to repeat it.

It was first pointed out here.
LOLinky

Edited by stevestory on Oct. 30 2015,11:58

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2015,00:09   

Over at UD:

computeristOctober 30, 2015 at 8:51 pm

What happened to PaV’s thread?

Glen Davidson's original link: We can clone Jesus now!
Indeed - where is it?

Edited by Ptaylor on Oct. 31 2015,17:10

--------------
We no longer say: “Another day; another bad day for Darwinism.” We now say: “Another day since the time Darwinism was disproved.”
-PaV, Uncommon Descent, 19 June 2016

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2015,09:45   

Quote (Bob O'H @ Oct. 29 2015,07:12)
Mapou isn't happy about the DNA of Jesus

I am quickly losing interest in UD. I sense a hidden agenda and I don’t like it. But I’ll keep lurking for a little while longer to see if things get better. This thread is the worst one I’ve seen since I started frequenting the site. It’s beyond ludicrous and it offends both my intelligence and my faith.

I have some sympathy for him, although being on the other side of the debate means I quite like that thread.

That page seems to have disappeared.

Error 404: page not found

The page you are looking for is not here

Here is the cached version.
http://tinyurl.com/nbt9wr6....nbt9wr6

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2015,10:08   

Quote (Zachriel @ Oct. 31 2015,17:45)

I am quickly losing interest in UD. I sense a hidden agenda and I don’t like it. But I’ll keep lurking for a little while longer to see if things get better. This thread is the worst one I’ve seen since I started frequenting the site. It’s beyond ludicrous and it offends both my intelligence and my faith.

I have some sympathy for him, although being on the other side of the debate means I quite like that thread.

I think the "disappearance" counts as another mendacity point on  Barry Arrington's long list of being a cunt.

He might as well flog himself with barbed wire until the second coming before being accepted into heaven.

If I was St Peter I'd make him eat glass for eternity.

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 31 2015,19:22   

Quote (k.e.. @ Oct. 31 2015,08:08)
Quote (Zachriel @ Oct. 31 2015,17:45)

I think the "disappearance" counts as another mendacity point on  Barry Arrington's long list of being a cunt.

He might as well flog himself with barbed wire until the second coming before being accepted into heaven.

If I was St Peter I'd make him eat glass for eternity.

If I was St Peter I'd make him be Barry Arrington for eternity.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 01 2015,07:43   

Larry MoranOctober 31, 2015 at 7:24 pm
bornagain asks,

Dr. Moran, did you not recently claim that repetitive sequences were proof positive evidence that a large fraction of DNA was ‘junk’?

No. I never made any such claim.

In fact, if you read my post on What’s in Your Genome? you’ll see that I attribute a significant amount of function to highly repetitive sequences at centromeres and telomeres.

It’s difficult to have an intelligent discussion with people who make no attempt whatsoever to understand the issue they oppose. I suppose the good news is that it makes it very clear that you are not basing your objection on any rational examination of the evidence or the pros and cons of the controversy.

The bad news is that we already knew that.

owwie

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 01 2015,07:45   

next comment:

Larry MoranOctober 31, 2015 at 7:33 pm
bornagain says,

Dr. Moran, Jonathan Wells also disagrees very strongly with you on supposed junk DNA:

No kidding!

You probably meant that as evidence that I am wrong. Most knowledge evolutionary biologists would make the opposite assumption.

What’s the purpose of posting all those links? Do you think I don’t know that Intelligent Design Creationists oppose the idea of junk DNA? Do you think I don’t know that some real scientists also oppose junk DNA?

Do you think the issue has been decided once and for all and Richard Sternberg and Jonathan Wells ended up on the winning side while all those knowledgeable evolutionary biologists turned out to be wrong?

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 01 2015,07:56   

Quote (stevestory @ Nov. 01 2015,07:43)

bornagain asks,

Dr. Moran, did you not recently claim that repetitive sequences were proof positive evidence that a large fraction of DNA was ‘junk’?

In fact, if you read my post on What’s in Your Genome? you’ll see that I attribute a significant amount of function to highly repetitive sequences at centromeres and telomeres.

It’s difficult to have an intelligent discussion with people who make no attempt whatsoever to understand the issue they oppose. I suppose the good news is that it makes it very clear that you are not basing your objection on any rational examination of the evidence or the pros and cons of the controversy.

owwie

This is similar to the misconception that because Larry Moran is not a Darwinist, he thinks that genetic drift "explains it all".

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-584139

---
Edit: fix URL

Edited by Zachriel on Nov. 01 2015,08:01

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 01 2015,08:06   

News: Think about your own closet, a designed system (if you are not an utter slob), and you will see what I mean:

Possible classifications of junk that is not trash:

1. I will need it later, but it seems like junk now (snow shovel).

2. I may need it later, and it seems like junk now (snorkel).

3. I will likely never need it but the by-laws require me to have one (2 50 litre bottles of water).

4. I can’t imagine needing this but you never know (hibachi and charcoal bricks).

5. I don’t need it but it is too much trouble/expense to get rid of (awkward shelves built into the wall).

6. I used to need it but can’t make up my mind to get rid of it yet (clothes from younger days).

7. I don’t need it but it has intrinsic value. (The bread machine my sister left here when she moved.)

8. Stuff you are planning to give to the Sally Ann, in a bag, but they haven’t called by yet.

9. Trash. (Candy wrappers on the floor, the pink second copies of the dry cleaner’s invoices (never detached), dead house fly.)

Of course, this argument only makes sense if you accept common descent, that the "junk" in a primordial genome will be useful to descendant organisms. This is one of the strange features of ID, most of the time they argue against common descent, but will then make arguments which implicitly depend on common descent.

This explains why no one will ever answer the question: Is it plausible that we will ever show that rabbits lived in the Cambrian? They know in the back of their minds that there is a succession of forms, but can't admit it at the front of their minds.

--------------

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 01 2015,18:52   

Quote (stevestory @ Nov. 01 2015,07:43)

bornagain asks,

[URL=http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelligent-design/double-debunking-glenn-williamson-on-human-chimp-dna-similarity-and-genes-unique-to-human-

beings/#comment-585854]owwie[/URL]

Same thread #519.  Moran to Bornagain:

You probably haven’t noticed but I usually restrict the term IDiots to Intelligent Design Creationists who act like idiots. You, for example.

Edited by CeilingCat on Nov. 01 2015,18:53

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2015,09:21   

Ouch.

OgreMkV

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2015,11:08   

Quote (Zachriel @ Nov. 01 2015,08:06)
News: Think about your own closet, a designed system (if you are not an utter slob), and you will see what I mean:

3. I will likely never need it but the by-laws require me to have one (2 50 litre bottles of water).

4. I can’t imagine needing this but you never know (hibachi and charcoal bricks).

5. I don’t need it but it is too much trouble/expense to get rid of (awkward shelves built into the wall).

6. I used to need it but can’t make up my mind to get rid of it yet (clothes from younger days).

7. I don’t need it but it has intrinsic value. (The bread machine my sister left here when she moved.)

8. Stuff you are planning to give to the Sally Ann, in a bag, but they haven’t called by yet.

9. Trash. (Candy wrappers on the floor, the pink second copies of the dry cleaner’s invoices (never detached), dead house fly.)

Of course, this argument only makes sense if you accept common descent, that the "junk" in a primordial genome will be useful to descendant organisms. This is one of the strange features of ID, most of the time they argue against common descent, but will then make arguments which implicitly depend on common descent.

This explains why no one will ever answer the question: Is it plausible that we will ever show that rabbits lived in the Cambrian? They know in the back of their minds that there is a succession of forms, but can't admit it at the front of their minds.

This list is oddly specific...

--------------
Ignored by those who can't provide evidence for their claims.

http://skepticink.com/smilodo....retreat

KevinB

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2015,12:19   

Quote (OgreMkV @ Nov. 02 2015,11:08)

Quote (Zachriel @ Nov. 01 2015,08:06)

This list is oddly specific...

I presume it's the contents of News' own closet.

I initially read "in-laws" rather than "by-laws" in point 3, which was rather puzzling.

If Zachriel's statement about Cambrian rabbits and "succession of forms" were to be made at UD, what would be the likelihood of it eliciting an accusation of confusing rabbits and hares?

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2015,13:03   

Batshit77:

“The thyroid gland, pituitary gland, thymus, pineal gland, and coccyx, … once considered useless by evolutionists, are now known to have important functions. The list of 180 “vestigial” structures is practically down to zero. Unfortunately, earlier Darwinists assumed that if they were ignorant of an organ’s function, then it had no function.”
“Tornado in a Junkyard” – book – by former atheist James Perloff

DaveS:
Good stuff. I also recommend this blog post he wrote in April:
Aliens/UFOs, Fallen Angels, Nephilim, the Flood, the Bible, Transhumanism, and the Illuminati. Yes, They All Tie Together.

Oops.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

KevinB

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2015,14:33   

Quote (Zachriel @ Oct. 31 2015,09:45)

Obviously, "404" is the wrong code. They should be returning  
410 Gone
Indicates that the resource requested is no longer available and will not be available again.

or quite possibly

418 I'm a teapot (RFC 2324)

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2015,14:47   

Fishing reel!

Shorter HWMNBN:
1.  Here's a fishing reel.
2.  It's complex.
3.  It was designed.
4.  Here's a cell.
5.  It's complex.
6.  Therefore it was designed.

It's just as convincing with other attributes:

1.  Here's a fishing reel.
2.  It's red.
3.  It was designed.
4.  Here's a fish.
5.  It's red.
6.  Therefore it was designed.

--------------

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2015,20:13   

5.  It's red.

It must have been a herring!

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2015,22:09   

Is BTB KF's aka GEM's new FYI-FTR?

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2015,22:14   

You don't have t search for a missing link. It's here.  
FYI-FTR (& BTB, 1a): A headlined response to LM: “you guys steadfastly refuse to offer any evidence at all for intelligent design or for the existence of an intelligent designer”

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

The whole truth

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2015,23:32   

I almost never look at UD anymore but  I was curious about what gordo means by "BTB" so I clicked on sparc's link and, as usual,  I got a page that says:

Unable to connect to the Internet
Google Chrome can’t display the webpage because your computer isn’t connected to the Internet.
ERR_INTERNET_DISCONNECTED

For quite awhile that's what I get when I try to open anything at UD, even though I am connected to the internet. I have dialup access and I get a slightly different IP address every time I connect. I can access UD if I go there through a free proxy server website. UD is the only site that I have to use a proxy server to access. UD has apparently blocked my IP address and all of its variations.

--------------
Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. - Jesus in Matthew 10:34

But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me. -Jesus in Luke 19:27

dazz

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 02 2015,23:50   

Quote (The whole truth @ Nov. 03 2015,06:32)
I almost never look at UD anymore but  I was curious about what gordo means by "BTB" so I clicked on sparc's link and, as usual,  I got a page that says:

Google Chrome can’t display the webpage because your computer isn’t connected to the Internet.

For quite awhile that's what I get when I try to open anything at UD, even though I am connected to the internet. I have dialup access and I get a slightly different IP address every time I connect. I can access UD if I go there through a free proxy server website. UD is the only site that I have to use a proxy server to access. UD has apparently blocked my IP address and all of its variations.

Can you connect with other devices through the same dial up access?

The whole truth

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 03 2015,00:27   

Quote (dazz @ Nov. 02 2015,21:50)

I've tried with my laptop (I normally use my desktop computer) and the same thing happens.

--------------
Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. - Jesus in Matthew 10:34

But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me. -Jesus in Luke 19:27

dazz

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 03 2015,00:36   

Quote (The whole truth @ Nov. 03 2015,07:27)

I've tried with my laptop (I normally use my desktop computer) and the same thing happens.

I guess they blacklisted your IP range then. Bunch of psychotic retards, LMAO

There's a VPN plugin for Chrome/Firefox called ZenMate, free and very easy to use & turn on/off

The whole truth

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 03 2015,01:11   

Quote (dazz @ Nov. 02 2015,22:36)
Quote (The whole truth @ Nov. 03 2015,07:27)

I guess they blacklisted your IP range then. Bunch of psychotic retards, LMAO

There's a VPN plugin for Chrome/Firefox called ZenMate, free and very easy to use & turn on/off

Thanks, I'll check out ZenMate.

--------------

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 03 2015,03:46   

The Whole Truth: "UD has apparently blocked my IP address and all of its variations."

Barry ought to charge for that.

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 03 2015,06:20   

There's always phones and hotspots.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

The whole truth

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 03 2015,15:39   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Nov. 03 2015,01:46)
The Whole Truth: "UD has apparently blocked my IP address and all of its variations."

Yeah, in a way he did me a 'free' favor by blocking my IP addresses. Because he did so I'm even less likely to go to UD and subject myself to the massive amount of tard there. :D

--------------

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 03 2015,16:39   

Quote (The whole truth @ Nov. 03 2015,15:39)

Yeah, in a way he did me a 'free' favor by blocking my IP addresses. Because he did so I'm even less likely to go to UD and subject myself to the massive amount of tard there. :D

New hobby: Getting as many IP addresses blocked as possible.  Bonuses for getting Barry to inadvertently block UD regulars.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

OgreMkV

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 03 2015,21:59   

Most depressing thing I've had happen... in a long time.

A good friend of mine posted a link on Facebook. She's a teacher and is friends with a lot of other teachers.

One of her friends posted a link to UD.

I was actually stunned. That's the first time I've ever seen a link to UD "in the wild" that wasn't here or in the few anti-creationist sites and groups I frequent.

I don't know how common this is, but it's really depressing.

--------------
Ignored by those who can't provide evidence for their claims.

http://skepticink.com/smilodo....retreat

KevinB

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 04 2015,06:56   

Quote (Texas Teach @ Nov. 03 2015,16:39)
Quote (The whole truth @ Nov. 03 2015,15:39)

New hobby: Getting as many IP addresses blocked as possible.  Bonuses for getting Barry to inadvertently block UD regulars.

Why limit your ambition to merely blocks of addresses? Go for whole countries!

Start with Montserrat and work up to Canada.

15792 replies since Dec. 29 2013,11:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (527) < ... 156 157 158 159 160 [161] 162 163 164 165 166 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]