RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (527) < ... 146 147 148 149 150 [151] 152 153 154 155 156 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 5, Return To Teh Dingbat Buffet< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 21 2015,08:40   

Quote (Woodbine @ Sep. 20 2015,18:57)
Quote (stevestory @ Sep. 20 2015,22:56)
kairosfocusSeptember 20, 2015 at 1:45 pm
Popperian:

Epistemology did not peak with Popper, nor has it stopped at Popper.

KF

Popper Don't Peak was my favorite 80's Madonna song.

As puns go that's borderline.

linky

Timothy McDougald

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 21 2015,09:20   

Quote (stevestory @ Sep. 20 2015,16:56)
Popperian:

KF

I suppose your favorite band was the Momas and the Popper?

--------------
Church burning ebola boy

FTK: I Didn't answer your questions because it beats the hell out of me.

PaV: I suppose for me to be pried away from what I do to focus long and hard on that particular problem would take, quite honestly, hundreds of thousands of dollars to begin to pique my interest.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 21 2015,10:31   

Banny Arrogant:

Barry Arrington
September 21, 2015 at 9:15 am
I am curious if any of the environmentalists who regularly post on this site will denounce these thugs’ attempt to have the government prosecute their intellectual opponents as criminals.

Will you?

If not, your silence will itself speak volumes.

Or we have this competing hypothesis

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 21 2015,10:46   

exactly. Banny's opponents' silence on UD does speak volumes. About Banny.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 21 2015,10:48   

Starbuck

September 21, 2015 at 9:43 am

Absolutely, along with other nutjob reality deniers that think vaccines are bad, for example.
linky

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 21 2015,11:31   

MapouSeptember 21, 2015 at 12:28 am
Light travels at around 300,000 km per second. Why not faster? Why not slower?

It gets even weirder when you realize that nothing can move faster or slower than light. It is the only speed, period. If something appears to be moving slower than light, the motion really consists of many quantum jumps at light speed interspersed with many rest periods. In fact, at ordinary speeds, an object is not moving at all the majority of the time. At light speed, there are only jumps and no rest periods.

You don’t understand motion even if you think you do.

Mapou is Cuckou

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 21 2015,11:37   

Quote (fnxtr @ Sep. 20 2015,22:54)
Quote (stevestory @ Sep. 20 2015,14:56)
Popperian:

KF

"You must not stop at Pop!" -- Dr. Seuss.

Popper was a Rolling Stone.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 21 2015,13:17   

Crank magnetism:
5 Tom Robbins September 21, 2015 at 10:10 am

Starbuck -Their is research to suggest these super vaccinations (where they bundle them all into one shot) can cause very adverse affects and need further study. There are several people who have died, including a 13 year old girl, with the vaccination for an STD that can cause cervical cancer (which of course the government pushed for big pharma on girls that are too young to be even considering sex). Not questioning is not science, and you answered, with same brainless black and white BS we have had to deal with for decades – way to go… I have noticed, like with Planned Parenthood vids, etc. the progressive globalist with no perspective on history, tend NOT to confront any fraud if it is their “team”, instead, they try and pick another topic where they also claim some kind of perverted moral ground. You and others like you (your worldview) seem to be black and white, and furthermore, an incredible ability to refuse introspection on ones on self. Their are some studies that suggest that this is biological, tending toward the autistic spectrum, where you can’t stand change, and changing a world view, is out of the question, so you shuck and jive through all comments, or just “insert expletive here” and try and assassinate the character of entire groups of very diverse people – that’s why we get so incredibly frustrated with your views, they are unyielding to logic, data, introspection, or a middle ground. You shoot the messenger, employ whatever tactic to support a world view, that many times is not even based on knowledge, just part of your “teams” mantra. And worst of all, your world view tend to be one that cuts all of our throats, including your own.

Linky.  There is research and there are some studies, so this can't be a load of bollocks.

I'm not going to claim UD is a haven for far-right whacko conspiracy theorists, because that's what they want you to think.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 21 2015,15:14   

(which of course the government pushed for big pharma on girls that are too young to be even considering sex)

Stupid ol Federal Gummint! How could it possibly make any sense to give HPV vaccines before people are sexually active? Can you believe those dumb clowns at the gummint?!?!?!?!

Dr.GH

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 21 2015,15:52   

Quote (stevestory @ Sep. 21 2015,13:14)
(which of course the government pushed for big pharma on girls that are too young to be even considering sex)

Stupid ol Federal Gummint! How could it possibly make any sense to give HPV vaccines before people are sexually active? Can you believe those dumb clowns at the gummint?!?!?!?!

Ya' them morans!

--------------
"Science is the horse that pulls the cart of philosophy."

L. Susskind, 2004 "SMOLIN VS. SUSSKIND: THE ANTHROPIC PRINCIPLE"

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 21 2015,15:52   

Quote (stevestory @ Sep. 21 2015,13:14)

You mean I have to put the seat belt on before the car starts moving?

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 21 2015,16:35   

Quote (stevestory @ Sep. 21 2015,11:31)

It gets even weirder when you realize that nothing can move faster or slower than light. It is the only speed, period. If something appears to be moving slower than light, the motion really consists of many quantum jumps at light speed interspersed with many rest periods. In fact, at ordinary speeds, an object is not moving at all the majority of the time. At light speed, there are only jumps and no rest periods.

Mapou is Cuckou

Well, let's consider "slower".  When light goes through anything other than a vacuum, such as air, water, honey, glass, a quartz crystal, a diamond, etc. it slows down by anything from a little to a lot.  Everything that light can pass through has an index of refraction, which is basically a measure of the degree to which the substance slows down the velocity of light passing through it.

Surely it hurts to be that clueless.

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 21 2015,16:53   

With what I've read on physics, I get the impression that maybe all motion is at the same speed; in that case, slower net speeds would be caused by cyclic motion of some sort, i.e., no "rest periods". Besides, if there are "rest periods", what frame of reference would those be in?

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 21 2015,18:17   

His description is screwed up. The usual explanation is that photons get absorbed by atoms of the medium and quickly re-emitted. There is no pause,  although it may look like a pause.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

N.Wells

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 21 2015,19:32   

Physicists talking about "slowing light down", albeit in a press release:
http://news.harvard.edu/gazette....ht.html
http://www.physicscentral.com/explore....hau.cfm

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 22 2015,00:21   

Quote (N.Wells @ Sep. 21 2015,16:35)

Quote (stevestory @ Sep. 21 2015,11:31)

Mapou is Cuckou

Well, let's consider "slower".  When light goes through anything other than a vacuum, such as air, water, honey, glass, a quartz crystal, a diamond, etc. it slows down by anything from a little to a lot.  Everything that light can pass through has an index of refraction, which is basically a measure of the degree to which the substance slows down the velocity of light passing through it.

Surely it hurts to be that clueless.

You mean it gets retarded?

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 22 2015,09:25   

Learned Hand
September 22, 2015 at 12:05 am

More seriously, even if what those corporations are doing is as egregious as is being suggested, I’m not sure legal action is the right approach, though. Simply exposing the lies, if that’s what they are, would be much better. Lawsuits are ridiculously expensive and a verdict, whichever side it favors, would probably not change many minds.

Concur. The idea of massive RICO suits against major corporations is bonkers. If for no other reason, the sheer burden of proving fraudulent intent and the other elements of a RICO claim would be astronomical. More substantively, even assuming there’s real willful wrongdoing out there, the effort to find and punish it would have huge collateral impacts on all kinds of other protected activity.

And I also hope we see a lot more legal commentary coming out of Steyn. In the past, the results have been hilarious.

linky

KevinB

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 22 2015,11:43   

I see that KF is having a new outbreak of "A=A"

Back to ID Basics....

Do you think it would be possible to point out the self-evident truth that

"Kairosfocus" = "Specific named inhabitant of Montserrat"

without triggering a conniption fit?

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 22 2015,13:06   

Quote (KevinB @ Sep. 22 2015,11:43)
I see that KF is having a new outbreak of "A=A"

Back to ID Basics....

Do you think it would be possible to point out the self-evident truth that

"Kairosfocus" = "Specific named inhabitant of Montserrat"

without triggering a conniption fit?

Over the years KF's post developed and matured - about as much as ID.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 22 2015,13:08   

Quote (sparc @ Sep. 17 2015,03:47)
Quote (Ptaylor @ Sep. 17 2015,01:33)
Denyse seems to be having trouble with her headline writer again:

Further to homo Naledi not pubb’d in Nature

Obviously, with  naming conventions as well.

She just doesn't get it:
Before you bet on homo Naledi, read this
(emphasis mine)

--------------

- William Dembski -

Tony M Nyphot

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 22 2015,17:01   

Mapou
September 22, 2015 at 3:16 pm
BA77:

A Destructive Eternity and a Orderly Eternity are what we find empirically not philosophically.

I’ve come to the conclusion that BA77 is a purveyor of pure unmitigated BS. But then again, I’ve been similarly accused. LOL.

Jealousy in the kiddie fort?

--------------
"I, OTOH, am an underachiever...I either pee my pants or faint dead away..." FTK

"You could always wrap fresh fish in the paper you publish it on, though, and sell that." - Field Man on how to find value in Gary Gaulin's real-science "theory"

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 22 2015,20:27   

Quote (Tony M Nyphot @ Sep. 23 2015,01:01)

Mapou
BA77:

A Destructive Eternity and a Orderly Eternity are what we find empirically not philosophically.

I’ve come to the conclusion that BA77 is a purveyor of pure unmitigated BS. But then again, I’ve been similarly accused. LOL.

Fleas arguing over who owns the dog.

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 22 2015,20:52   

Quote (k.e.. @ Sep. 22 2015,18:27)

Quote (Tony M Nyphot @ Sep. 23 2015,01:01)

Mapou
BA77:

Fleas arguing over who owns the dog.

Ticks arguing over who owns the watermelon.

Edited by Lou FCD on Sep. 23 2015,14:29

--------------
"[A] book said there were 5 trillion witnesses. Who am I supposed to believe, 5 trillion witnesses or you? That shit's, like, ironclad. " -- stevestory

"Wow, you must be retarded. I said that CO2 does not trap heat. If it did then it would not cool down at night."  Joe G

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 23 2015,20:22   

Eh, ticks wouldn't do that with a watermelon unless they cantaloupe.

OgreMkV

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 23 2015,21:35   

https://contemplativemammoth.wordpress.com/2015....science

I'm so willing to sock up at UD and do this. Everyone just sock up and start putting random science facts as replies to everything.

--------------
Ignored by those who can't provide evidence for their claims.

http://skepticink.com/smilodo....retreat

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 24 2015,08:59   

Quote (Henry J @ Sep. 24 2015,04:22)
Eh, ticks wouldn't do that with a watermelon unless they cantaloupe.

They were saving their dough for an antelope but it was too dear.

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 24 2015,09:30   

Must be that time of the month.  Right on cue Karioflatus breaks out the exploded 6500 C3 fishing reel along with a dozen of so Icons of ID Stupidity.  :)

--------------
"CO2 can't re-emit any trapped heat unless all the molecules point the right way"
"All the evidence supports Creation baraminology"
"If it required a mind, planning and design, it isn't materialistic."
"Jews and Christians are Muslims."

- Joke "Sharon" Gallien, world's dumbest YEC.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 24 2015,09:45   

it would be interesting if UD put an upvote/downvote system in the comments. Wouldn't you like to know what the regulars there really think of BatShit's ramblings, for instance?

Patrick

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 24 2015,12:09   

Quote (stevestory @ Sep. 24 2015,10:45)
it would be interesting if UD put an upvote/downvote system in the comments. Wouldn't you like to know what the regulars there really think of BatShit's ramblings, for instance?

Some of the comments there are odd enough to warrant a strangevote/charmvote button, too.

Edited by Patrick on Sep. 24 2015,13:10

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 24 2015,16:32   

Quote (Patrick @ Sep. 24 2015,12:09)
Quote (stevestory @ Sep. 24 2015,10:45)

Some of the comments there are odd enough to warrant a strangevote/charmvote button, too.

You have to admit he's colorful, but is he a top or a bottom?

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

15792 replies since Dec. 29 2013,11:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (527) < ... 146 147 148 149 150 [151] 152 153 154 155 156 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]