RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (356) < ... 191 192 193 194 195 [196] 197 198 199 200 201 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 4, Fostering a Greater Understanding of IDC< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 15 2012,21:12   

Quote (Glen Davidson @ Aug. 15 2012,20:37)
Since this answers Barry's/WLC's pig-ignorant strawman attack (whatever Ayala wrote--don't know, don't care, the real point is what evolution predicts), and I don't trust IDiots to approve this response made to WLC's idiocy on Youtube, I'm copying said response to here:

The problem with that strawman is that life's second-rate designs are not due to sloppy or poor thinking, let alone poor workmanship.  They are due to evolutionary limitations, especially the matter of heredity.  Archaeopteryx was limited to rather incomplete adaptations of dinosaur structure and function, and was thus not much of a flier.  Mammalian testes descend from their internal ancestral position.  Neither exhibits design at all.

Life could not have been designed by a bungler.

It's always the same stupid strawman, they don't care what sort of bad design appears in life--the kind predicted by evolutionary limitations/local optima--nor that they claim that life would require superior intelligence and it's a fact that it would require extremely great knowledge to design life (and thus such a one would not be expected to make the elementary mistakes that evolution makes), they just blather on about generalities rather than caring about the specifics.  The latter destroy ID.

Glen Davidson

ID-->dishonestly conflating generalities with specifics, on a blue piano

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 15 2012,21:15   

i'm just amazed, again, at how barry can pack so much fail into a paragraph. it's like a chorus line of self-immolating monks.  truly spectacular display of working fucking hard to be a liar, then succeeding way, meta crucially more than you ever dreamed.

--------------

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2012,10:04   

Quote (Erasmus, FCD @ Aug. 16 2012,05:15)
i'm just amazed, again, at how barry can pack so much fail into a paragraph. it's like a chorus line of self-immolating monks.  truly spectacular display of working fucking hard to be a liar, then succeeding way, meta crucially more than you ever dreamed.

Yeah, especially since Joe had to drive over and moon us and got spanked AGAIN.

Bwhahahahahahahahahahahaha

I can't wait for the the next Crispy Suckhole Index.

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2012,13:10   

Perhaps you can give an example of how to calculate the amount of evolution in a building?

joe is soooooo soooooo soooooo much FAIL

Edited by Erasmus, FCD on Aug. 16 2012,14:12

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2012,13:41   

More comedy gold:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-430174

Nope, we can observe an object doing smething, some function, and infer that is the specification, ie

Well that's completely objective! What a dullard. Operationalize "the thing the object is supposed to be doing"

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2012,14:02   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Aug. 16 2012,13:41)
More comedy gold:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-430174

Nope, we can observe an object doing smething, some function, and infer that is the specification, ie

Well that's completely objective! What a dullard. Operationalize "the thing the object is supposed to be doing"

This line of thought can be traced back to Dembski.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2012,15:04   

Looks like Upright has had to hide behind Barrys skirt.

If dodging questions was a bannable offence at UD no fucker would be allowed to post ever.

Bunch of cowards.

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Patrick

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2012,15:08   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Aug. 16 2012,16:04)

If dodging questions was a bannable offence at UD no fucker would be allowed to post ever.

Bunch of cowards.

Directly above those comments, Upright BiPed repeatedly avoids answering direct questions posed by mphillips.  I thought they'd let him/her post a bit longer since there aren't very many non-creationists active at UD after the great banning.  Apparently their innate hypocrisy and lack of intellectual integrity trumps their desire for traffic.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2012,15:34   

Quote (Patrick @ Aug. 16 2012,15:08)

Bunch of cowards.

Directly above those comments, Upright BiPed repeatedly avoids answering direct questions posed by mphillips.  I thought they'd let him/her post a bit longer since there aren't very many non-creationists active at UD after the great banning.  Apparently their innate hypocrisy and lack of intellectual integrity trumps their desire for traffic.

Must be the semiotic theory of calling your mother.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2012,16:09   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Aug. 16 2012,16:34)

Quote (Patrick @ Aug. 16 2012,15:08)

Bunch of cowards.

Must be the semiotic theory of calling your mother.

I'm impressed. Barry found a new use for The Loudspeaker in the Ceiling.

(Barry: I'd back off on the spittle. That's old equipment and a ground leak is more likely than not.)

But he has a point. UB has more important things to do than ask questions his discussants won't answer.

Like return to TSZ and sift through the shifting pile of questions posed to him there, some dozens of times, that he just can't bring himself to address.

Edited by Reciprocating Bill on Aug. 16 2012,17:10

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2012,16:21   

Bonus from KF:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-430006

BA: Serious point. Of course the digitised charts that specify the cathedral or the shack could in principle be used to quantify the CSI involved, especially to show that it is obviously well beyond 500 – 1,000 bits.

Oh my goodness we can infer design from looking at the design documents!

--------------

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2012,16:23   

Upright is busy washing his pants. Those posts must have been pretty scary to merit removal.

When those questions this morning I was tempted to post a preemptive memorial to mphillips on the blog czar thread, but thought I'd let it play out.

I knew the last question would make Upright shit his pants, because it was a beautiful rephrase of the question he ran from on TSZ for 400 posts.

It's so simple and devastating that Derriereington, serial telephone abuser, cannot bear to see it.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

Patrick

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2012,16:24   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Aug. 16 2012,17:09)
But he has a point. UB has more important things to do than ask questions his discussants won't answer.

Like return to TSZ and sift through the shifting pile of questions posed to him there, some dozens of times, that he just can't bring himself to address.

If only hypocrisy were physically painful.

I was hoping that mphillips would last long enough to post those questions from TSZ to UD.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2012,16:32   

Quote (midwifetoad @ Aug. 16 2012,16:23)
Upright is busy washing his pants. Those posts must have been pretty scary to merit removal.

When those questions this morning I was tempted to post a preemptive memorial to mphillips on the blog czar thread, but thought I'd let it play out.

I knew the last question would make Upright shit his pants, because it was a beautiful rephrase of the question he ran from on TSZ for 400 posts.

It's so simple and devastating that Derriereington, serial telephone abuser, cannot bear to see it.

May we see it here, if you have a copy, please?

Isn't ID all about free speach and teach both sides and all that? No?

--------------

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2012,17:05   

I was posting from a tablet and didn't save the key post.

My imperfect recollection is he tried to get UB to explain what his argument had to do with ID. Was he asserting that the genetic code, in its current form, was present in the first living things, and if so, could UB please cite an authority for this claim.

If so, then how did it get there: god, aliens, I don't know?

There was a bit more regarding OOL research, and a recommendation that UB should do some reading on the subject.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

Patrick

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2012,17:10   

Quote (midwifetoad @ Aug. 16 2012,18:05)
I was posting from a tablet and didn't save the key post.

My imperfect recollection is he tried to get UB to explain what his argument had to do with ID. Was he asserting that the genetic code, in its current form, was present in the first living things, and if so, could UB please cite an authority for this claim.

If so, then how did it get there: god, aliens, I don't know?

There was a bit more regarding OOL research, and a recommendation that UB should do some reading on the subject.

One of mphillips' comments on that topic remains:
I suppose, while I await your citations, I could say this.

Yes, evolution depends on a mechanism being available for inheritance. However the only person who is arguing for the fixity of this mechanism is you, nobody else.

Presumably you believe that the protein synthesis system as we know it came into existence with the first lifeform. What leads you to believe this? Citation?

I have to assume that everybody working in OOL recognizes the mechanism of inheritance must have arisen without the aid of evolution, and that means that much research is aimed at finding those simple replications that could arise spontaneously given prevailing conditions on pre-life earth.

So your argument is not really much of an argument at all is it? You are simply saying the same thing that everybody else is saying except adding “and that was only possible by intelligent design” at the end.

When you are done riding the coat-tails of others research then perhaps you’ll be ready to publish your claim in the literature, presumably with citations.

So on the one hand we have thousands of man-hours of research being done a day on this problem and on the other hand we have you, who’s claim seems to be summed up with:

“Life only comes from life”.

If that’s the case, what life did life as we know it come from?

The long and the short of it is that your claim that evolution itself requires the system in order to exist remains just that – a claim, nothing more or less. Just one claim among many. When you actually put the work into making it supported then perhaps it’ll become more then a mere claim.

No doubt Barry will place Upright BiPed in moderation until he answers these questions.  That would only be fair.

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2012,17:34   

That's one of the better ones. No doubt it was overlooked.

I am crushed. I left my computer on all day, and when I hit the back button, there was all the stuff.

Rather than try to copy and paste it I got greedy and tried to save the whole page to my local drive. Rather than save what was displayed, Chrome reloaded the page and saved it.

Now it's gone. But you have the drift of it. Better than my attempt from memory.

--------------

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2012,18:08   

I have to assume that everybody working in OOL recognizes the mechanism of inheritance must have arisen without the aid of evolution,

A possible complication occurs to me: the first mechanism of inheritance would have had to arise without evolution. But what if the currently prevalent one wasn't the first? (And it probably wasn't.)

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2012,18:15   

Upright's menu. He got his question. Will he answer one in return? Will Bully Arrington enforce the "one question each no backsies" rule fairly?

Find out next week!

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 16 2012,19:15   

I will not make the same dumb mistake twice. I'm saving versions of the partially restored thread, and I have a place to post them if needed.

Worst case, I'll lose the latest instance, but I'm going to number the versions so I won't overwrite an old one with one that has the good stuff Barryed.

--------------

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 17 2012,05:49   

Barry Arrington:  Does anyone reading this post doubt that Săo Paulo Cathedral is more beautiful than the dilapidated shack?  Of course not.

"They came to love the ruins of the station, as one can grow attached to a temporary shelter during an excursion in the snowy mountains. They kept the memory of its situation, the appearance of the buildings, certain details of its damage." — Zhivago, remembering the broken remains of a building destroyed by war.

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 17 2012,07:47   

Quote (Zachriel @ Aug. 17 2012,13:49)

Barry Arrington:  Does anyone reading this post doubt that Săo Paulo Cathedral is more beautiful than the dilapidated shack?  Of course not.

"They came to love the ruins of the station, as one can grow attached to a temporary shelter during an excursion in the snowy mountains. They kept the memory of its situation, the appearance of the buildings, certain details of its damage." — Zhivago, remembering the broken remains of a building destroyed by war.

Oh, now we're quote mining fer real eh? Hombre!

One of these lines will getcher one of them there Nobel Prizes.

“Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.”
? Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

<snikker>

And why a "One Hundred Years of Solitude"?

Ask Howard Ahmanson, Jr. one of the fundy crackpots who provided funds to the DI.

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit

Patrick

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 17 2012,10:12   

I want to save this comment by David W. Gibson because it succinctly summarizes the flaws in Upright BiPed's argument and is therefore likely to disappear:
After all, you’ve already stated that I have “fled” a conversation, leaving that conversation “unfinished”. I would, of course, take immediate issue with that particular positioning statement, given that I was one person defending my argument against 8-12 opponents, non-stop for a period of 130+ days (surmounting well over 1100 comments in the process), while not a single person there actually demonstrated that any of the material observations I had made were false.

And there it is, right?

Well, not exactly. I have tried to follow some of that conversation (certainly I haven’t read every post by everyone), and as far as I can tell nobody has any problems with any of the material observations you have made at all. The complaint is instead that you have been asuming the consequent.

As a vastly simplified example, consider the following argument:
1) All dogs have four legs (material observation)
2) This object has four legs (material observation)
3) Therefore, this object is a dog! (conclusion)

As far as I can see, people can legitimately dispute the logic of this conclusion without the slightest question of a single material observation.

As I read it, this compliant was made repeatedly, by many people, who presented their case very clearly. “Answering” them by (once again) defending the material observations is missing the point.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 17 2012,10:23   

Quote (Patrick @ Aug. 17 2012,10:12)
I want to save this comment by David W. Gibson because it succinctly summarizes the flaws in Upright BiPed's argument and is therefore likely to disappear:
After all, you’ve already stated that I have “fled” a conversation, leaving that conversation “unfinished”. I would, of course, take immediate issue with that particular positioning statement, given that I was one person defending my argument against 8-12 opponents, non-stop for a period of 130+ days (surmounting well over 1100 comments in the process), while not a single person there actually demonstrated that any of the material observations I had made were false.

And there it is, right?

Well, not exactly. I have tried to follow some of that conversation (certainly I haven’t read every post by everyone), and as far as I can tell nobody has any problems with any of the material observations you have made at all. The complaint is instead that you have been asuming the consequent.

As far as I can see, people can legitimately dispute the logic of this conclusion without the slightest question of a single material observation.

As I read it, this compliant was made repeatedly, by many people, who presented their case very clearly. “Answering” them by (once again) defending the material observations is missing the point.

Probably the clearest, most direct refutation yet.

--------------

Soapy Sam

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 17 2012,11:08   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Aug. 17 2012,10:23)

Quote (Patrick @ Aug. 17 2012,10:12)

And there it is, right?

Probably the clearest, most direct refutation yet.

On the less-philosophical side, I ... I mean, someone I know very well .. spent a while in the TSZ thread discussing a means by which the apparent 'semiosis' in the code could arise, in principle (because the problem is only an in principle problem with the origin of semiotic states, right?). UB blinked uncomprehendingly a few times, or, when he said anything at all, came back with the same rejoinder ... you can't generate a protein synthesis system without protein - unless you actually demonstrate that you can.

That is, point to a specific in-practice modern system to deflect an in-principle solution to an in-principle problem.

It is likely that you cannot actually perform synthesis of long peptides enzymatically. You have to do it with nucleic acids, otherwise the protein that is joining up the amino acids will not be able to prevent the peptide it is synthesising from interacting with itself, and an unholy mess ensuing. So all that is needed is to kick-start the 'code' is RNA-catalysed peptide synthesis, of an almost certainly non-catalytic, and initially monotonous, peptide product. The rest is easy. In principle.

Edited by Soapy Sam on Aug. 17 2012,11:10

--------------
SoapySam is a pathetic asswiper. Joe G

BTW, when you make little jabs like “I thought basic logic was one thing UDers could handle,” you come off looking especially silly when you turn out to be wrong. - Barry Arrington

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 17 2012,11:23   

I read UPB's argument somewhat differently.

1. All semiotic systems are the products of design.
2. The genetic code plus translation is a semiotic system.
3. Therefore the genetic code plus translation is designed.

This strikes me as wrong not because of a logical error, but because he assumes that which he is ultimately trying to prove.

There is another construction he has used

1. All known instances of semiotic systems are designed.
2. Therefore all instances are designed.

--------------

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 17 2012,11:25   

All Biped is doing is following Flaubert's admonition 'If you want to feel wealthy, go and live in a poor neighborhood' if he came over here my IQ would suffer.

Fuck him.

--------------

REC

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 17 2012,11:29   

kairosfocus asks:

1: Can you accurately and fairly sum up the argument in a short sentence or two? If not, then there is an issue of comprehension. I assume you can.

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 17 2012,11:35   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Aug. 16 2012,17:21)
Bonus from KF:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-430006

BA: Serious point. Of course the digitised charts that specify the cathedral or the shack could in principle be used to quantify the CSI involved, especially to show that it is obviously well beyond 500 – 1,000 bits.

Oh my goodness we can infer design from looking at the design documents!

jesus was a raster!  your mom has modifiable areal unit problem

--------------

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 17 2012,17:37   

Of course, UB's argument was hashed at great length on the TSZ threads.

What is most striking about his UD responses to that discussion is that he makes them at UD, where most participants of the TSZ threads (including yours truly) cannot reply.

Given that the threads at TSZ remain open, I see that as his tacit admission that his argument can't withstand the sort of scrutiny it received there.

Edited by Reciprocating Bill on Aug. 17 2012,18:38

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

10669 replies since Aug. 31 2011,21:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (356) < ... 191 192 193 194 195 [196] 197 198 199 200 201 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]