RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (63) < ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... >   
  Topic: Presidential Politics & Antievolution, Tracking the issue< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,09:09   

No Heddle, I didn't imply that. Learn to read. That is entirely orthogonal to the point I was making. Again you ignore the point(s) *I* am making and insert fantasies of your own confection.

If Steve's claims are false, which is a distinct possibility, then they won't be falsified by referral to your small, biased sample, which is basically no better than an anecdote. They will be falsified by referring to some productive evidence, which your 30 racist democrats isn't even close to being. Steve's claim has no support that he has provided either. BOTH of you are guilty of the same thing: i.e. in group/out group identity politics in absence of reliable evidence. Both of you are guilty of playing nonsense games and advancing support free ridiculous argumenta ad homines.

It is irrelevant who has more racists Reps or Dems, it is irrelevant whether you personally know more Dem racists than Steve or he more Rep racists than you. It is a woeful series of tiresome red herrings. Unless you and Steve have some statistically meaningful study to show that Rep voters or Dem voters are more racist than the other group on average, you have nothing. You're both just flapping your lips (or in this case fingers) and wasting everyone's time with meaningless identity politics.

So to establish the claim that the home of US white racism is the Rep party or the Dem party cannot be done or refuted by the means you two are engaged in. By virtue of the manner those means you are engaged in is expressed you are merely contributing to the noise and not the signal. Ignore these tiresome irrelevances unless you have some relevant, statistically meaningful evidence to bring to bear on the subject. You, as an intelligent, educated person are not only capable of bringing that sort of evidence to bear on a topic, it is your responsibility to do so.

What ISN'T irrelevant is the policies put forward for scrutiny by the various parties, their actual actions, their voting histories etc. Let's reduce this to one issue for the sake of simplicity: racial discrimination. Whether or not John McCain (or his supporters) uses the word "nigger" or Barack Obama (or his supporters) uses it are both gross irrelevances. What IS important are the policies John McCain or Barack Obama will enact which have an effect on racial discrimination.

The fact of whether or not I am more like John McCain or Barack Obama is yet another irrelevance. The point I've been making is "don't believe the hype". Don't buy into the to and fro of irrelevant crap from all sides. Is one side more guilty or irrelevant crap than the other? Quite possibly, but that itself is more often than not another exceedingly tiresome irrelevance. All that matters are the issues, the various policies formulated to deal with them, how and when those policies will be enacted.

The only time that the the racism of one party over the other becomes relevant is when you can demonstrate a link between formulation of policy and that groundswell of voter racism. If one party is continually promoting candidates for seats who unashamedly espouse demonstrably racist ideology, who campaign for policies that would enhance discrimination of the basis of race, more than the other party, then we can make these sorts of claims with some basis. Other than that, we can't.

That is precisely NOT what you or Steve are doing. That is precisely NOT what typifies the presidential political "debate" in the USA (and indeed elsewhere). My final point, repeated in several posts, has been that it is the responsibility of people with the intellect and education to appreciate this to try to ignore the irrelevances and focus on the issues. You are not doing that.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,09:10   

Quote (dheddle @ Sep. 16 2008,14:53)
Quote (carlsonjok @ Sep. 16 2008,08:39)

Quote (dheddle @ Sep. 16 2008,08:27)
I was responding, specifically, to steve s's comment:

While the GOP has primarily been the home of white racists since the 60's, it wasn't a 100% complete relocation, and there are some racist Democrats.

Am I parsing that wrong? Is it not true that the message it sends is that the majority, even the vast majority, of white racists are Republicans?

Dave, Google up "Nixon southern strategy" to see the point of what Steve was getting at. In short, Louis is right (and it pains me to no end to say that).  You seem to be assuming that your limited experience with racists is typical. It is not.

I am not assuming it is typical. I am saying that more or less equating racism with the Republican party is an over simplification. There is a lot more complexity out there.

A fact no one here disagrees with.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,09:21   

Shorter version:

Steve S: Most white racists vote Rep. Some white racists vote Dem.

Heddle: I know 30 white Dem voting racists 'cos I grew up on teh meen stweets of WhiteDemRacistVille. {Insert working class credentials here}.*

Louis: Small, biased sample sizes prove fuck all. Mere assertion proves fuck all. In the greater scheme of the presidential election, and also the greater scheme of policy formulation, the "who's got more X" (where X = some undesirable agreed upon by both parties) question is a tiresome irrelevance. It is an aspect of identity politics/in-group vs out-group conflict that distracts and detracts from a reasoned consideration of the issues. If there are some corrupt, power hungry elements to government (and I think it's undeniably the case that there are) then this sort of logically fallacious crap plays into their hands by distracting from the issues and the evidence supporting (or not) policies formulated to deal with those issues. People sufficiently smart to work their way through the Dirac equation (for example), bear a responsibility not to be as fucking stupid as the mouth breathing oxygen thieves who seem to find politics to be yet another reality television programme.

Louis

*Humble Beginnings, a tiny village with no facilities that it would seem many billions of people claim to have grown up in as if this lent their insufferably asinine opinions any weight. Argumentum ad cruenam? Anyone? Bueller?

--------------
Bye.

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,09:44   

pox on all thine houses

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,09:47   

Quote (Erasmus, FCD @ Sep. 16 2008,15:44)
pox on all thine houses

I figured you'd say that.

Still isn't it nice to be using a machine you couldn't make, eating food you couldn't farm, consuming goods and facilities you can't possibly hope to provide for yourself and sneering at collective effort. Isn't there a word for that sort of thing beginning with H?

Louis

--------------
Bye.

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,10:00   

Louis- You are making way too much sense for any of this to be useful to USA politics, where the current trend is to only listen to what the talking-head pundits (or your local preacher) tell you what to believe.

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,10:25   

Quote (J-Dog @ Sep. 16 2008,16:00)
Louis- You are making way too much sense for any of this to be useful to USA politics, where the current trend is to only listen to what the talking-head pundits (or your local preacher) tell you what to believe.

Sadly it's the same here in the UK (and elsewhere). The only difference is the slight cultural variations of which talking puppet to listen to.

The utter tragedy of the failure of democracy is that we do it to ourselves. I mean WE as well, which includes ME. It is really, really hard to ignore identity politics, I fail at it sometimes, everyone does. It's really hard to ignore the chimp impulses (chimpulses?) rearing up and the hormones writhing in response to perceived out-group attack. The only trick we can manage is to realise that we are susceptible. We can't evade it, we can't be some perfect abstraction, we are history laden, culturally laden, evolved social organisms. However, we all hate being exploited, the only way we have of possibly combating exploitation is to either secede from collective effort altogether and descend to anarchy (which actually won't work for obvious reasons, cooperation has selective advantages) or shift the emphasis of our collective efforts in a more collaborative way. That shift necessarily involves a dispelling of myths about ourselves, and a reliance on the best evidence we can provide. We can't be 100% objective, but we can try to tend towards it.

That, by the way, should never detract from the wonderful diversity of humanity and our subjective desires and whims. The objectivity must apply at the level of the collective effort we make (i.e. government etc), not necessarily at the level of the individual. It is in essence the liberal and Enlightenment principles on which the USA was founded realised in their clearest form. Sadly such social and individual liberty requires certain restrictions on the markets and government, and they must be (to all intents and purposes) voluntary restrictions made in good conscience. Equally sadly, that is an utopian ideal unlikely ever to be realised, but like objectivity it can be striven towards if never totally achieved. Not only that it requires an altruistic education of and caring for the electorate, it requires that the one role of government is to remove the need for certain struggles (food, shelter, health, education, infrastructure etc). The people who elect the government must be as free as possible to do so. No system on earth has yet attempted that, let alone achieved it. We are however in progress towards it. To expect it to be done already is over optimistic to a decidedly delusional degree!

Reliance on authority and myth to achieve these utopian ideals has failed. We can't compel people to act as we might like them to, in fact the very attempt misses the point! Hence why I am an advocate of explicit social contracts and areas of the planet left to those who volunteer to be released from those contracts (crime can't do that before anyone asks, it has to be an act of capable consent, and every reasonable thing should be done to prevent an individual from desiring to give it. I don't mean i a totalitarian sense, I mean in an accommodating sense. It's also not a one way decision, it's not irrevocable. The Anabaptist/Amish idea of Rumspringa is a reasonable approximation). We are emerging from that part of our history in gradual steps. Hopefully we will fully emerge, but I have my doubts.

Oops digressed! This is why I get annoyed at the utter fatuousness of the standard approach to democratic politics. Unlike 'Ras who apparently wants to absent himself (his right, but it also forfeits his right to complain) I want better quality engagement. The status quo has not always been the status quo! It can be changed, by imperceptible degrees to be sure, but it CAN be changed. The politics of despair and apathy are not yet in a position to be comfortable. I want a world in which they are.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Nerull

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,10:53   

I would have thought the last 8 years would have woken up the "Waaaaah! They're all the same! It doesn't matter who I vote for!" bunch. How bad does it need to get?

--------------
To rebut creationism you pretty much have to be a biologist, chemist, geologist, philosopher, lawyer and historian all rolled into one. While to advocate creationism, you just have to be an idiot. -- tommorris

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,11:02   

Nerull subtract your vote from the total to get a round idea of how worthless and irrelevant your input is.  That is true even assuming the manifestly false notion that there is a connection between the actions of a politician (especially at the presidential level, and I am open to the consideration that local politics could possibly operate under different dynamics).  The last 8 years have been replete with douchebaggery and fucktardation.  So were the previous 8.  The most concise summation of this phenomenon is "They are all a gang of shit-asses".

Louis says all have sinned and come short of the glory of god, whether you believe in sin or god or not.  Fundie logic false dichotomies.  Do folks less than 18 years old have the 'right' to complain?  Did blacks or women have the 'right' to complain before they were granted suffrage?  It's all bullshit.  

I tend to agree with Heddle here, I think, albeit, obliquely.  The best thing that could possibly come out of participating in the voting process is the social reinforcement of personal identity.  Perhaps that wasn't his point.  Anyway, it makes you feel good and warm and fuzzy like you are contributing and for some folks that is enough.  Clearly.  Don't worry about the rest of that stuff, just like "Love Jesus", "Cast Your Vote" is a matter of blind faith in a black box of secret machinations.  I remain bewildered at the level of blind child like faith that the social prometheans, such as Louis, put in political processes when so much hay is made of ridiculing that same apparatus in the minds of god-believers.

Louis, the word you are looking for starts with an "O", not an "H".  I think we would both agree that martyrdom is a rather stupid choice, don't you?  If, not, go crucify yourself for the Labour Party and see if anyone gives a flying rat's cunt.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,11:07   

Quote (Nerull @ Sep. 16 2008,16:53)
I would have thought the last 8 years would have woken up the "Waaaaah! They're all the same! It doesn't matter who I vote for!" bunch. How bad does it need to get?

OOOH OOOH CAN I GODWINERISE THE THREAD? CAN I? CAN I?

Ready aaaaannnnnnnnnnddddddddddddd:

NAZI!*

Thank yew, thank yew.**

Louis

*Like Yahtzee only less fun for gays, Jews, gypsies, assorted European nations, and America when they finally got round to it.

**For the ineluctably dimwitted and tragic, no not all (if any) Republicans are Nazis, yes I'm sure where you grew up there were 30 Democrat Nazis and that for you Dem = Nazi. Yes, I know Darwin had sex with a goat and produced Hitler in a satanic ritual to take over the world and save us from the Jews who killed Jesus before demonstrating the superiority of the white race by being such a nasty bloke that he is trotted out as the epitome of evil at every turn. Wait is that not just a TAD inconsistent? Oh well. It's a fucking joke anyway, not that anyone will get it. I'm wasted on you people etc etc moan blah drone waffle.***

*** This, too, is also not serious. I was serious once back in 1832. Didn't like it.

--------------
Bye.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,11:34   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Sep. 16 2008,17:02)
Nerull subtract your vote from the total to get a round idea of how worthless and irrelevant your input is.  That is true even assuming the manifestly false notion that there is a connection between the actions of a politician (especially at the presidential level, and I am open to the consideration that local politics could possibly operate under different dynamics).  The last 8 years have been replete with douchebaggery and fucktardation.  So were the previous 8.  The most concise summation of this phenomenon is "They are all a gang of shit-asses".

Louis says all have sinned and come short of the glory of god, whether you believe in sin or god or not.  Fundie logic false dichotomies.  Do folks less than 18 years old have the 'right' to complain?  Did blacks or women have the 'right' to complain before they were granted suffrage?  It's all bullshit.  

I tend to agree with Heddle here, I think, albeit, obliquely.  The best thing that could possibly come out of participating in the voting process is the social reinforcement of personal identity.  Perhaps that wasn't his point.  Anyway, it makes you feel good and warm and fuzzy like you are contributing and for some folks that is enough.  Clearly.  Don't worry about the rest of that stuff, just like "Love Jesus", "Cast Your Vote" is a matter of blind faith in a black box of secret machinations.  I remain bewildered at the level of blind child like faith that the social prometheans, such as Louis, put in political processes when so much hay is made of ridiculing that same apparatus in the minds of god-believers.

Louis, the word you are looking for starts with an "O", not an "H".  I think we would both agree that martyrdom is a rather stupid choice, don't you?  If, not, go crucify yourself for the Labour Party and see if anyone gives a flying rat's cunt.

Sorry but how does any of that address or resemble anything I said? Your straw men will avail you nothing, you should know I have no sympathy for them.

I explicitly DON'T think we have all sinned and fallen short of perfection and glory. Recognising that we are all flawed human beings capable of error is hardly the same as sin. One is a rational assessment of one's own limitations, the other is some religious idea which is basically a means of exercising political and psychological control. I think perfection and glory are unattainable nonsense. I think we can strive towards improvement, nothing more. Is a simple acknowledgement that you are fallible beyond your fragile ego?

Sadly, no, in the days of disenfranchisement, blacks and women did not have the right to complain. That is a travesty, something that has been pleasingly corrected to some degree. Let's hope it improves MORE. Sadly now, underage kids are deemed incapable of giving reasoned votes, they are explicitly disenfranchised by their (assumed) lack of reasoning ability. The rights and wrongs of that are a separate debate.

And as usual you misunderstand me, just as you misunderstood Lou. I place no faith in the mechanism of voting. I know that the value of my individual vote is infinitesimally small (if even non-zero). I am explicitly not saying "vote at all costs" or "act according to the status quo at all costs" I am saying "ENGAGE". Very different things, no faith required. Starting a revolution and tearing down the current society IS engagement. It's even engagement that I would probably support and engage in myself. (Bit of a fan of Che Guevara, not all his acts or ideas, but some of them certainly)

My points are very simple:

a) we have a political process in our society,
b) we have a system of government for that society,
c) neither the political process or system of government are (or possibly can be) perfect,
d) that government/process are corrupted in some fashion, or at least corruptible, by various vested interests (this is a natural consequence of our biology as much as anything else),
e) ignoring that government/process is a very difficult (if not impossible) option in today's world, the reach of states and corporations is enormous (whether or not I like that),
f) The only way to change this process or government is to engage (interact) with it in some fashion.

Please point out the faith based elements of the above. I have zero faith in our current political systems and governments, and by "our" I mean every different one across the globe, not merely UK/USA. What I do have some reasonable basis for thinking is that these things are mutable, i.e. they are not fixed entities, based on the evidence available to me. I'm exceptionally open to any evidence demonstrating that governments, political systems or what have you are immutable and unchanging, please provide some if this is your contention.The entire antithesis of faith you'll note.

The US (or any) government as it is now, and the political process that shapes it, have not existed since the dawn of time, carved in tablets of stone by some mythical deity. It is an evolved and evolving system. That means it can be interacted with and altered. That alteration might be as simple as voting (if one must reduce it to that) or as radical as destroying it. I make no claims about what is the best action, I simply don't know. My point is very simply that to affect the political process and government of any society one must engage with it in some fashion. That is such a trivially and obviously true point that I cannot believe the extremes of stupidity you are going to to avoid it.

The argument I had with Heddle and others is that if one is going to engage in the political process at all, doing so in an unreasoned manner opens one up to rampant exploitation. If you agree with Heddle you are defeating your own point about engagement being worthless. I agree they (politicians) ARE all shits, and that governments are pretty much all corrupt in some fashion and that the 8 years before the last 8 years before the last 8 years etc were all pretty shitty) but that situation can only be changed by rational, informed engagement. If your choice of rational, informed engagement is voting then do so on the issues, don't play identity politics and be exploited. If your choice of rational, informed engagement is to overthrow what you perceive as a tyrannical oligarchy then do so, but make sure you a) know where the enemy really is and b) have something to replace it with (even if it's only anarchy, which I can demonstrate to you will not work, sadly. Basic game theory alone demonstrates the advantages of limited cooperation, hence anarchy [like utopian perfection] isn't actually possible, varying degrees are.)

As for crucifying myself for Labour? Why on earth would I waste my time of that bunch of authoritarian hypocrites? Don't you get it yet 'Ras? I'm apolitical, I belong to no party and have no allegiance. I follow the evidence and take the time to find out about the things I care about. The problem I have is that absolutely no one represents me at all. I usually vote for whoever is going to increase science funding and move certain social things in certain directions, and I by no means always vote. Abstaining is a choice after all, although I think in the current climate it is a luxury we can ill afford. Look at the last line of my previous posts. I want a world in which voting is unnecessary, in which apathy can reign supreme, because that'll mean we got something right.

Last but not least 'Ras, if you persist in acting like Skeptic by chucking around straw men, not reading what people actually write and instead dreaming up little enemies of your own to fight with, I'll treat you like Skeptic. Got that? And further to that, if you're going to accuse me of logical fallacies etc be so good as to point them out and correct them, as opposed to doing what you are currently doing which is pulling things out of your arse.

Louis

EDITED FOR UNCLARITY AND NONCONTENT.

--------------
Bye.

dheddle

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,12:04   

*Yawn*

I know it's just me, but I think a brouhaha over whether R's or D's put out a snappier welcome wagon for white racists would have been a lot more fun. This is too high falutin' for my taste.

(Runs off to teach Astronomy, which is relatively safe.)

--------------
Mysticism is a rational enterprise. Religion is not. The mystic has recognized something about the nature of consciousness prior to thought, and this recognition is susceptible to rational discussion. The mystic has reason for what he believes, and these reasons are empirical. --Sam Harris

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,12:31   

I'm going to expand on one theme for a second:

The current (mostly capitalist, mostly ostensibly democratic) governments we have worldwide are mechanisms of control. They exist primarily to maintain certain vested interests and privileges whilst presenting the illusion of involvement by voting to their respective electorates. This effective corruption has actually become worse by virtue of ever freer trade in the less regulated markets.

When I say "corruption" I don't necessarily mean in the sense of deliberate attempts to subvert or obtain control/wealth etc. It's far more insidious than that. Corruption is a spectrum, it can be as comparatively minor as compromising on one's vote (a regrettable necessity in most of our current systems) and selecting a candidate who represents a party that is only broadly in agreement with your views. It can be as blatant and major as dynastic succession or as subtle as the tyranny of the majority or marketing biases (another reason I favour explicit social contracts and opt out/opt in societies).

Almost by their very nature any collective effort involves some form of compromise, and is thus "corrupted" in the sense I mean above, i.e. it isn't possible to hold to all ideals equally, there is some inevitable horse trading. What I desire is to get to a state where we have the maximum possible collective effort for the minimum possible compromise.

That, at least initially, involves some elements of current capitalist ideas and current democracies, though by no means all. The liberal ideas of freedom of speech, thought, and action (within certain given, consented to, limits) for example. The idea of (at least relatively) free trade and competition for another. Like it or not, just as humans have evolved so have human societies, we ignore that fact at our peril. We have to adapt to our human foibles, not bemoan them. That, in essence, is at the core of liberal politics. Sadly it often gets forgotten. (Hence why 'Ras' straw man accusation of recognising potential for error = sin misses the point by a country mile).

If we are to have societies at all, and they are (again perhaps sadly) an unavoidable aspect of our biology, then we can act to make those societies at least a little more congenial to our needs. How we do that, the mechanisms we use to do that, is basically politics. How we operate them is basically government, be that kibbutz, communism, monarchy, democracy or whatever. Whether or not we like it, if one is born today (or indeed at any point in the last few hundred years) one is very very unlikely to have been born somewhere where there isn't a government, a society, a political process. It is like water to a fish, some fish evolved to walk on land and left the water behind, but many have not and if you are born a fish, chances are you are currently wet! (we can argue about the utterly inappropriate nature of that analogy later!) We are not yet at a position where we can leave the water. Whether we ever will be is an open question certainly not one I (or anyone) can yet answer.

So what choices do we have ahead of us, born as we are into a seething sea of politics and government? We can absent ourselves (something I personally favour quite strongly) or we can engage. If we absent ourselves then we have no possible way of influencing that sea of politics or that system of government.

I really do think this should be a viable option for people. I really do think that there should be a section of the planet/country/whatever devoted to people who wish to absent themselves from a global society, one that that society was prevented from interfering with in any way. I really do think that people should be able to leave a society and return based on a social contract. I.e. these are the rules, whilst here you follow them or else these are the consequences. There are, of course, various nuances to this. I really think that those rules should be mutable, changeable, influenced by the people who choose to follow them. And I really, really do think that the opportunity to influence them should be based on ability, not on age, sex, race, religion etc etc etc. Like a "voting licence" if you will.

All the while the collective effort of the society goes into maintaining certain aspects of it. Transport, health care, education. Etc. I don't need the government to tell me who to love or what to wear or what to think, I need the government to do the things I cannot do, like build roads, provide trains, make schools and hospitals. I really, really, really don't think that governing should be a job which gives prestige or privilege, and I really disagree with the party political model. Someone who governs should have no possible personal gain from governing, certainly nothing that could be gained after they leave office. Governors should be administrators and people who present ideas to the electorate, not anything else. There are various ways of selecting governors based on merit that can help work towards this. Voting for candidates alone is not necessarily the best way forward, nor, necessarily, is anonymous voting on every tiny issue. There are things to be worked out.

The changes required to implement this are AWESOME. It requires control of markets for starters (at least initially), something libertarians and free marketeers will howl at. It requires huge personal freedoms (something social conservatives will howl at), it requires an understanding of personal responsibility and autonomy (something certain liberal/left wing groups will howl at), it requires the minimum mount of government (something that certain other left wing groups with howl at), and above all it requires some work and sacrifice (something we will all howl at).

All of this really makes one (ok two, ok several) points:

1) Political/governmental perfection is an unattainable abstraction. We can all envisage ways to improve the status quo, but until we question all out assumptions about that status quo, we can't really expect it to change in the ways we/I/you might like.

2) Engagement with a political system in some fashion is the only possible way we can affect it. Not interacting with it by definition precludes us from affecting it (and I count setting up utopia on its borders as interaction!).

3) The nature and extent of that engagement is mostly debatable, but what isn't debatable is that if we wish to influence that political system the best way to do so is via some reasoned process. Simply appealing to prejudices or nodding along with a pundit does indeed affect the system but it perpetuates the type of tyranny and corruption I mentioned at the beginning. It is especially open to exploitation.

4) Every engagement is open to exploitation but not every engagement is equally open to exploitation. Experimenting with methods of engagement is our current state. We know several methods of engagement that do not work for the majority of societies on this planet, ergo they are not optimal solutions for achieving our stated goal of change.

Clearer?

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,12:33   

Quote (dheddle @ Sep. 16 2008,18:04)
*Yawn*

I know it's just me, but I think a brouhaha over whether R's or D's put out a snappier welcome wagon for white racists would have been a lot more fun. This is too high falutin' for my taste.

Translation from Heddlese:

"I was wrong but I lack the balls to admit it."

Such an intellectual you are!

Louis

--------------
Bye.

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,12:44   

I think the distinction between Republicans who oppose Obama because of race and those who oppose him for political reasons is moot in this election.

What matters for the election is whether Democrats will withhold their vote for Obama, or whether they will decide to vote for a Republican who has long been a pariah to conservatives.

I personally think it's going to be another squeeker.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,12:52   

Quote (Louis @ Sep. 16 2008,07:21)
Louis: Small, biased sample sizes prove fuck all. Mere assertion proves fuck all.

The saying Louis wants here is "the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'."

(Added in edit: something Heddle would have known automatically if it pertained to physics or astronomy.)

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,13:02   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Sep. 16 2008,18:52)
Quote (Louis @ Sep. 16 2008,07:21)
Louis: Small, biased sample sizes prove fuck all. Mere assertion proves fuck all.

The saying Louis wants here is "the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'."

(Added in edit: something Heddle would have known automatically if it pertained to physics or astronomy.)

It's a saying I know well, I was being specific! ;-)

Louis

--------------
Bye.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,13:03   

If anyone wants to see more of Heddle acting like this, check out Dispatches from the Culture Wars. It's weird.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,13:11   

Quote (stevestory @ Sep. 16 2008,19:03)
If anyone wants to see more of Heddle acting like this, check out Dispatches from the Culture Wars. It's weird.

Anyone who's been to Talk Origins will know Heddle well from those years.*

Louis

*At least I think it was TO. I mean that's where all this started right? Before TO atheists and believers, evolutionists and creationist danced in the streets and made love under the moonlight. After all, PT is an outgrowth of TO, AtBC is an outgrowth of PT and Heddle is an outgrowth of some muppet's left nut.

ETA: Heddle was, is, and will likely remain an enigma to me. Talk physics with him and he is eminently sensible, knowledgeable, educated and intelligent. Talk about politics and religion with him, or cosmo-ID and he is a fruitcake. Just goes to show what religion can do to an otherwise perfectly adequate mind.

--------------
Bye.

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,13:18   

I just walked back from lunch at our student union, and want to report on what I think is a promising development. The Intervarsity Christian Fellowship, a fairly evangelical bunch, has a booth on the plaza outside the union. They have a large white board entitled "How would Jesus vote?" You can put a sticker on the side labeled Obama, or the side labeled McCain.

The Obama side, even on this fairly conservative campus in a fairly conservative state, had about 3 times as many stickers as the McCain side.

Whaddya think, FtK?  Maybe I'll discuss religion with you for once. How would Jesus vote?

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,13:19   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Sep. 16 2008,19:18)
I just walked back from lunch at our student union, and want to report on what I think is a promising development. The Intervarsity Christian Fellowship, a fairly evangelical bunch, has a booth on the plaza outside the union. They have a large white board entitled "How would Jesus vote?" You can put a sticker on the side labeled Obama, or the side labeled McCain.

The Obama side, even on this fairly conservative campus in a fairly conservative state, had about 3 times as many stickers as the McCain side.

Whaddya think, FtK?  Maybe I'll discuss religion with you for once. How would Jesus vote?

You owe me a new arse. I just fell off my chair laughing.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,13:20   

Yeah, but these last few days....

All I know is I'm staying out of it.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,13:22   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Sep. 16 2008,14:18)
They have a large white board entitled "How would Jesus vote?"

Well, see, I liked Jesus, but then I saw some disturbing YouTube videos. Apparently years ago he had some friends who were whores, theives, lepers, and murderers, so that's really got me scared about his character....

dheddle

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,13:24   

Quote (Louis @ Sep. 16 2008,12:33)
*Yawn*

Louis

Translation from Louis-ese (Louise?):

I declare victory!

Gosh Louis you can be a tight ass. Lighten up.

--------------
Mysticism is a rational enterprise. Religion is not. The mystic has recognized something about the nature of consciousness prior to thought, and this recognition is susceptible to rational discussion. The mystic has reason for what he believes, and these reasons are empirical. --Sam Harris

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,13:28   

Quote (Nerull @ Sep. 16 2008,08:53)

I don't see it changing at all. I still hear it from Naderites. It seems to basically boil down to "none of the political parties are perfect or make me happy, so they're all the same". And this comes from people who can reason well when other subjects are under discussion.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,13:29   

Quote (Louis @ Sep. 16 2008,11:19)
Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Sep. 16 2008,19:18)

You owe me a new arse.

He couldn't afford one of the size you're used to.

I mean. The hauling alone...

--------------

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,13:54   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Sep. 16 2008,13:28)
Quote (Nerull @ Sep. 16 2008,08:53)

I don't see it changing at all. I still hear it from Naderites. It seems to basically boil down to "none of the political parties are perfect or make me happy, so they're all the same". And this comes from people who can reason well when other subjects are under discussion.

That pretty much excludes politics and religion.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,14:00   

Quote (Louis @ Sep. 16 2008,13:19)

Louis

Sorry. Since the Lend-Lease Act expired, we are not allowed to send arses, even used ones like RTH, to the UK.

That's why we have such a buildup over here...

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,14:10   

Quote (dheddle @ Sep. 16 2008,19:24)
Quote (Louis @ Sep. 16 2008,12:33)

*Yawn*

Louis

Translation from Louis-ese (Louise?):

I declare victory!

Gosh Louis you can be a tight ass. Lighten up.

Are you familiar with the quaint English phrase: "taking the piss"?

I was.

Anyway, I made and make no mention of victory. You might have noticed before I've made a few comments about "victory" of any kind not being the point. I'd expect you to have missed them though.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 16 2008,14:19   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Sep. 16 2008,12:00)
Quote (Louis @ Sep. 16 2008,13:19)

Louis

Sorry. Since the Lend-Lease Act expired, we are not allowed to send arses, even used ones like RTH, to the UK.

That's why we have such a buildup over here...

Besides, Louis has said he can't be arsed, so he'll just have to make do.

--------------

1878 replies since Aug. 25 2008,04:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (63) < ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]