RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (16) < ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... >   
  Topic: For the love of Avocationist, A whole thread for some ID evidence< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Mike PSS

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2007,22:51   

Avo,
You posted Spetner's objections to the nylon bug.  Here's some quick and dirty counter points by referencing the results of the nylon bug paper you read.

Remember, Spetner is only referencing a few papers (found at the bottom of Spetner's Objections to nylon bugs.) so he either wasn't aware of this paper or chose not to use it in his reply.
Also, the paper I referenced uses two of the three references that Spetner uses.

Quote (avocationist @ Jan. 29 2007,15:02)
Anyway, I found where somebody had asked Spetner about the nylon bug:

Comments by Lee Spetner, November 19, 2002

[snip paragraph 1]

there are two altered enzymes, not just one.
Both these enzymes are needed
Neither of these enzymes alone is effective. Both are needed.
The first enzyme, which I shall call enzyme 1, catalyzes the conversion of 6-AHA CD to 6-aminohexanoic-acid-oligomer (6-AHA LO).
The second enzyme, which I shall call enzyme 2, catalyzes the conversion of 6-AHA LO  to 6-amino-hexanoic acid [Kinoshita et al. 1981].  
Only enzyme 2 is the product of a frame shift.
Enzyme 1, whose DNA sequence I have not seen, is probably the product of only point mutations. [Okada et al. 1983, Ohno 1984]

So Spetner can read a report, and I can parse his comments down even further.
Second, enzyme 2 is not just the product of a frame shift, it is also the product of 140 point mutations. Many of these mutations are silent, but many are not. 47 amino acids out of 392 of the enzyme have been changed.

So Spetner is NOT aware of the enzymes in the NEW strain of PAO5502 that eat nylon.
I wonder how many point mutations and changed amino acids are in the PAO5502 bug?
I don't have the referenced papers where these mutations are counted so I can't comment further.  But Spetner certainly can...
It seems to me that many of these altered amino acids are essential to the catalytic effect of the enzyme. How many, I don't know. In my above cited letter to Jim, I calculated the probability of getting multiple random mutations in the 30 years it took to evolve these enzymes. If the evolution of this enzyme had to rely on random point mutations, it could have never evolved. Thus, if only 6 of these 47 mutations were essential for the evolution, the probability of achieving it in 30 years is about 3 x 1035. So, if the evolution could not be random, then it would have to be nonrandom, and as I have suggested in my book, they would be triggered by the environment. That is, the capability is built into the bacterium and the environment triggers the mutations.

And here is where Spetner waves his hands to create an answer based on a false premise.
Spetner cannot make these claims without further analyzing the mutational effect of the NEW strain of PAO5502 which was produced in only 3 months (maximum, maybe faster) from PAO1.

I have ignored the evolution of enzyme 1, and the random evolution of that enzyme makes for an even less probable event.

BUT, we saw in the experiment that PAO5502 was a new strain only AFTER PAO5501 was isolated and the conditions changed.  Remember that key point in my last post.
Therefore, might it be possible that PAO1 mutates to form PAO5501 which has enzyme 1 developed but not enzyme 2.  THEN PAO5501 mutates to form PAO5502 which now has both enzyme 1 AND enzyme 2.
Is this pathway a possiblility?  And shouldn't Spetner examine the development of enzyme 1 instead of discarding it with a non-sequitor?
Now, why should there be a built-in capability to metabolize nylon, which did not exist until 1937 or so? The answer is there shouldn't be. But there could have been a built-in capability to metabolize some other substrate. Kinoshita et al. (1981) tested enzyme 2 against 50 possible substrates and found no activity, but that does not mean that it doesn't have activity on some substrate not tested. The activity of enzyme 2 was small, but enabled the bacteria to metabolize the nylon waste.

And we finish with an argument from personal increduality.  Without supporting evidence on WHY the increduality is even valid.

Spetner ignored (or didn't know about) this paper when he formed his objection.  Even though it was published in May1995 (seven and a half years before Spetner's objections).

In my eyes Spetner is a hack.  Like so many other leaners against windmills.  He is a Luddite to sensible experimentation and interpretation of results.

Mike PSS

demallien

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2007,23:00   

Quote ("Rev Dr" Lenny Flank @ Jan. 29 2007,18:11)
Idiot.  No WONDER the ID/creationists think you're just as nutty and pig-ignorant as WE do.  (shrug)

Cool it Lenny.  The fact that Avocationist has received quite a bit of misinformation about how the world works is not justification for the continued stream of abuse that you're spewing out.  She has discussed the topic politely, and is trying to answer our questions, and does not deserve the personal attacks.

Frankly, it's you that comes off as the bigger idiot with this type of comment.

demallien

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2007,23:18   

Quote (avocationist @ Jan. 29 2007,14:09)
It (rapid mutation) gets turned on in response to the environment, is confined to speific loci in the genome, and is turned off when it's job is done. The mutations which occur under those conditions are random. Thus it took (if I understood the article) 3 months to produce the nylon eating mutation(s) but apparently that was not the only time it occurred. Spetner mentions it being discovered accidentally 30 years after nylon was invented.

Ahhh, OK, there's the disconnect! For you, God is in there fiddling with the mutations that occur so that our bacteria can adapt to it's new environment.  This leads me to ask you if you consider God to be completely incompetent?  Because I don't see any other justification for all of the other mutations that are observed in the experiment, but which don't aid in the task of adapting to the environment, if it's God that's responable. Remember the "silent" point mutations that were observed?

Normally, I would suggest that one should apply Occam's Razor here.  We have a bunch of apparently random mutations, some which are beneficial in adapting to a new environment.  Which is the simpler explanation - that God did it, but made bucket-loads of mistakes along the way, or that the apparently random nature of the mutations is really random....

There is nothing magical about increased mutation rates.  Mutations happen when an organism is stressed by it's environment.  Think of humans and carcinogens.  Carcinogens are generally poisonous, and they cause cancer because they muck up the replication of DNA, introducing mutations.  Extreme starvation can have a similar effect, where the cell does not have enough energy to reproduce correctly.  This actually goes back to the entropy discussion.  As an organism starves, it approaches a closed system, thermodynamically speaking, and hence entropy - represented in this case by errors in the replication of DNA (aka mutations) increases.  But of course, if the next generation is lucky, these increased mutations will enable them to be able to eat something else in their environment.

As I said, there's nothing magical about all of this.  We don't need to invoke God for it to make sense, and, after a quick application of the big O's Razor, we can dispense of God altogether in evolution.

Mike PSS

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2007,23:45   

Quote (avocationist @ Jan. 29 2007,15:09)

I'd be very interested in your source which states that any mutation is specifically directed. I am aware of papers that show an increased mutation rate under certain stress situations (such as application of antibiotics), which would naturally lead to a faster rate of "finding" an antibiotic resistance mutation. But I am not aware of any that show specifically directed mutations in bacteria.

It gets turned on in response to the environment, is confined to speific loci in the genome, and is turned off when it's job is done. The mutations which occur under those conditions are random. Thus it took (if I understood the article) 3 months to produce the nylon eating mutation(s) but apparently that was not the only time it occurred. Spetner mentions it being discovered accidentally 30 years after nylon was invented.

I missed this one.

Avo,
Are you referring to the second-to-last paragraph in the nylon bug article where it states...  
Though a molecular basis for the emergence of nylon oligomer metabolism in PAO5502 is still unknown, it is probable that the basic mechanisms acting during environmental stress are involved in this adaptation. Recently, it was reported that simple polymerase errors increase in the adaptive mutation from Lac2 to Lac1 in E. coli (2, 17) and that molecular mechanisms by which adaptive mutation occurs include recombination (4). Lenski and Mittler have observed a 10,000-fold increase in Mu element excision due to starvation (10). Since the nylon oligomer has no detectable toxicity toward microorganisms, the wild-type cells could be maintained in a starved condition for a long period.  After the cells accumulated the required genetic alteration to make a cryptic region active, cells grew in the nylon oligomer medium. The high frequency (1023) of the hypergrowing mutants of parental strain PAO1 on medium containing Ahx might be a result of a high mutation rate under the condition of starvation.

The paper is making a claim based upon previous observations.  The increased mutation rate occurs due to starvation of the bug.  There is no "switch" or "selection" that occurs because of this starvation condition.  There is only inferred mutation rate increase based upon conditions that resemble past experiments and observations.  Argy's response supports this claim.

Serendipity

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 30 2007,06:32   

Other dimensions are not supernatural. They are very much part of your reality. I personally think the subquantum, sub-planck-length may be a divide into another, smaller dimension. That you can't perceive it means little. Can you hear a dog whistle? Can you see xrays?

This reminded me of Ronald Pearsons "psychokinesis" where he attempted to break down a quantum field beyond its wave particle duality to incorporate minute quanta-quanta mechanics, being psychic energy hehe.

Anyway, heading towards a more reductionist view (it seems) how would Planck and Classical Quantum (Gauge Field) be divided into smaller microstats?

Serendipity.

--------------
Without question or false modesty, no success has owed more to serendipity than ours. (Fischer)

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 30 2007,07:21   

Quote (avocationist @ Jan. 29 2007,21:50)
Lenny, you provide me a link where the answers in genesis people think species spontaneously arise from one another, and they do not mean 'Biblical kinds."

(sigh)  Jesus Christ, you are stupid. . . . .

--------------
Editor, Red and Black Publishers
www.RedandBlackPublishers.com

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 30 2007,07:30   

Quote (demallien @ Jan. 29 2007,23:00)
Cool it Lenny.  The fact that Avocationist has received quite a bit of misinformation about how the world works is not justification for the continued stream of abuse that you're spewing out.

But the fact that she is WILLFULLY pig-ignorant (and, further, wants to inflict her pig-ignorance on everyone else), is.

I have nothing against people being ignorant.  After all, no one is born with the sum of human knowledge.

Fortunately for Avo, ignorance is a correctable condition.  UN-fortunately for Avo, correcting it will require some effort on her part.  And, alas, she shows no indication whatever that she is willing to put out any effort at all in that direction, and everyone's efforts here to "teach her something" are doomed to utter failure.  She's simply not interested in learning anything.  If she were, she'd ghet her pig-ignorant ass to a library and learn some beginner's science BEFORE she shoots her mouth off about it.

So she gets absolutely no sympathy from me whatsoever.

--------------

Cedric Katesby

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 30 2007,13:59   

Demallien,

The fact that Avocationist has received quite a bit of misinformation about how the world works is not justification for the continued stream of abuse that you're spewing out.  She has discussed the topic politely, and is trying to answer our questions, and does not deserve the personal attacks.

Couldn't disagree more.  She hasn't "received it" at all. She's willfully sought out crap, soaked it all up and got it all ass-backwards.  There's nothing polite about about Avo's obfuscatory blather.  Its rude and frustrating.  She doesn't "discuss the topic", she avoids scientific argument like the plague!
However, PLEASE prove me wrong.  See if you can get her to cough up her version of a scientific argument for ID.   Not much to ask really.  After all, she does support ID. She does believe in ID.  It's not like asking somebody to defend their position on a "scientific" issue with an off-the-cuff scientific argument is a  frikken revolutionary concept.  Just a couple of paragraphs would be nice.  Louis will buy you a drink if you succeed in getting her to do it.  I'll even  throw in some nachos to sweeten the deal, 'kay?  Good luck, you'll need it.
AVO's
SCIENTIFIC.
ARGUMENT.
FOR!!!!!!
ID.
(waits....grinds teeth....and waits....)

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 30 2007,15:35   

He11 I'll fly over and perform an intimate and pleasant act on you if you get a coherent expression of the "science" behind ID from Avo.

Whilst I'm not in the category of "annoyed" that Lenny apparently is in (not that I think said category is in any way indefensible, it's well justified IMO) but I'd agree with Cedric and Lenny, making grandiose claims and flannelling about them when you admittedly and obviously have not the first inklings of a clue about the relevant topics is staggeringly rude. Simply staggeringly so. People get bent out of shape about the use of the word "fuck" and the occasional knob joke, but seriously saying that all scientists are part of some global anti-god/anti-ID conspiracy and deliberately remaining blisteringly ignorant of the actual facts because of one's personal agenda is so amazingly rude that it borders on the miraculous.

Eh, but what do I know.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 30 2007,17:20   

Agreed.

Avo is certainly not innocent on this board.  In her previous thread, she lied pretty consistently, made all kinds of unsupported assertions and when asked to back them up went into personal attacks, and also made other assertions that bordered on personal attacks.  For instance, she basically said that biologists stick with evolution because their egos get in the way, and even though they know they are wrong, they can't admit it because they are too egotistical.  She also said all evolutionists are atheists, which may offend some of the posters here who are, in fact, theistic.

demallien

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 30 2007,23:26   

Quote (Louis @ Jan. 30 2007,15:35)
but I'd agree with Cedric and Lenny, making grandiose claims and flannelling about them when you admittedly and obviously have not the first inklings of a clue about the relevant topics is staggeringly rude. Simply staggeringly so. People get bent out of shape about the use of the word "fuck" and the occasional knob joke, but seriously saying that all scientists are part of some global anti-god/anti-ID conspiracy and deliberately remaining blisteringly ignorant of the actual facts because of one's personal agenda is so amazingly rude that it borders on the miraculous.

Eh, but what do I know.

Louis

No, it's not rude.  Dumb maybe, but unless you're using a definition of the word "rude" not found in common English, I really can't see how making grandiose claims from ignorance can be construed as rude.  I hear it all of the time from my colleagues at work, from my friends, from my family, and from complete strangers, and I think they would all be dumbfounded to learn that you consider such comportment to be rude.

The use of the word "fuck" on an open forum, off-colour sex jokes, and straight out personal attacks on participants in the discussion are however comportments that are considered rude by most people.  You guys might want to have a think about that.

I'm not entirely sure what you expect from the creationists that wander in here anyhow.  Evidently, the fact that they are creationists means that they don't know how to think critically, or scientifically.  But I think I can say with absolute certainty that you'll never convince them with abuse.  About the best that you can do is give real world examples that contradict their beliefs, a bit like some of us are trying to do with Avocationist via nylon eating bacteria at the moment.

And Cedric, you're being disingenuous by insisting on the scientific explanation of ID.  There isn't one - you know it every bit as well as every other person with the heqd screwed on thqt participates on this list (ooof, sorry, I have got to stop changing between qwerty and azerty keyboards, it's killing my touch typing....)
Avo won't be able to provide one - she just doesn't think that way.  But nevertheless, please, stop abusing her.  I for one find her completely fascinating.  Trying to figure what contortions her brain is doing to go from the facts that she does know, to arrive at the conclusions that she has.  An excellent study specimen for those of us that wish to know better how to address creationists in a manner that perhaps may be convincing...

Anyway, please, keep it civil.  It doesn't cost you anything, and it substantially raises the tone of the conversation

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 30 2007,23:55   

Not to raise too fine a point, but "rude" has meanings beyond merely overtly obnoxious, profane or disrespectful.
Louis is from the Empire, hence his usage is different from us Colonials, I imagine. Note Louis' definition:    
"making grandiose claims and flannelling about them when you admittedly and obviously have not the first inklings of a clue about the relevant topics is staggeringly rude."

Note Merriam-Webster: 2. Lacking refinement or delicacy. (a) Ignorant, unlearned. (b) Inelegant, uncouth. (c ) offensive in manner or action: Discourteous.

I think because I read a lot of Victorian-era stuff, I recognized the usage immediately.

Louis may not be that old, however.

Ack. Edit: I agree that some posts I find on the board may be rude. My own posts are very often rude and profane, with lots of fun words tossed in. In fact, in this thread Avocationist has used a bit of that, but that's irrelevant, really, in my mind. I'd be happy to engage her in strictly genteel terms, but after reading through her other thread, I think it's kind of a moot point for me. Carry on!

--------------
AtBC Award for Thoroughness in the Face of Creationism

Cedric Katesby

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2007,01:55   

Demallien, if you're prepared to use the voice of sweet reason with Avo then I wish you the best of success.
I truely mean that.
If Avo responded honesty then I would have let her go.
If she said that she doesn't HAVE a scientific understanding of ID or she just likes to hang out at UD to pick up guys then...fine.  She's at least being honest and we can all move on.  She can walk of into the sunset will all of her alien friends for all I care.
Yet she doesn't.  The meaning of terms, coherent arguments, contradictions in her thinking have been patiently and laboriously laid out before her again and again.  There's a difference between being someone who's ignorant/misinformed and and someone shoving their fingers in their ears going "La, la, la, you're a materialist, la, la, la, can't hear you, la, la, la, can't prove it to me, la, la ,la" etc. If somebody tried to pull that kind of crap on you at a debate or at a social gathering then you'd have every right to be offended.   They are not behaving decently.  They not being fair and honest.  They're being offensive and  bloody RUDE!
If you can get anything positive from her then more power to you.
I'm going back to lurking.
:p

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2007,03:37   

(Thanks GCT, Deadman and Cedric.)

Demallien,

Point taken, but you are missing mine.

Being unintelligent or ignorant or misled or apathetic is no crime at all, and since, as a fallible human being, I do them all on a pretty regular basis I'm not going to shoot myself in the foot by poking at them.

Being DELIBERATELY, DISHONESTLY and WILLFULLY ignorant and repeatedly making claims known to be false, shown to be false, esp after they have been shown to be false to you personally, is ruder (not in the uneducated sense but in the impolite sense) and more destructive to civil discourse than ten "fucks", twenty five "wankers" and at least a brace of "cunts". There are three key words in that sentence, they are the ones in caps not the ones in inverted commas!

Try having a rational conversation with a petulent, spoilt and intensely stubborn 5 year old. The kid doesn't have to be even aware of swear words and knob jokes for it to be a hopelessly futile experience. Obviously you don't scream and shout and rant at the poor benighted infant, but you can point out to them that such behaviour gets them nowhere. We expect adults to have grown out of behaviour such as "LALALALALALALA I'm not listening", whether Avo personally has or not I cannot comment on, I don't know or care to know. This is a bigger picture conversation than mere Avo, in fact I started a thread (Civility) about this very topic and would welcome your input.

I agree with you that simply abusing Avo (or anyone like her) is not the way forward, and sorry but I personally have not SIMPLY abused anyone ever. Note key word. I might get extremely pissed off with people mincing about and being dishonest before you would do so, and I'll cheerfully hold my hands up to being an intolerant bastard on that front. And yes I am very likely to use colourful expressions, allusions, metaphors and indeed outright abusive statements when so annoyed. I don't apologise for that, sorry if that hurts. (Oh btw you DO realise the difference between offending someone intentionally and someone taking offense don't you? I'd hate to reduce the discussion to pointing out that tiny difference.) Perhaps unlike you, I would rather deal with an honest person who said "fuck" than a dishonest person who didn't, or indeed someone so almost maniacally shallow as to consider the use of the word "fuck" as of prime importance in a discussion.

This also relates to the logic and coherence of an argument. Someone's argument is not in any way invalidated by the inclusion of the word "fuck" in it (in fact were you to claim it were you'd be commiting an ad hominem fallacy [he said "fuck" in his argument, that's impolite, therefore argument wrong]). Someone's argument IS invalidated by dishonestly representing the data, deliberately ignoring data or refutations, raising straw versions of the opponent's argument, lying etc. I'll cheerfully grant you that "fuck fuck fuck, knob joke knob joke knob joke" is not a discussion, but then if you really think that this is all I or indeed anyone else here does then I would strongly suggest some remedial reading for comprehension lessons immediately if not sooner.

Unlike some it would appear I'm more concerned about honest, civil interaction than merely interaction without swearing etc. Pointing out that someone has lied, or is a liar, or is deliberately ignoring a point/datum etc is NOT an insult. The person may be insulted by it but guess what: Tough! If a person doesn't having their lies pointed out to them then don't bloody lie! Is this rocket science? Am I somehow revealing some cryptic secret? I doubt it! Nobody has the right not to be offended or challenged. I know I certainly don't!

So it would appaer this is where we part company: you 'twould appear are willing to tolerate lies, distortions, outright fabrications and gratuitous insults to extremely hard working, honest legions of scientists and indeed against the very established facts and data themselves simply because you wish to study creationists, I am also so tolerant but only up to a point. There does come a point when dealing with a certain subset of creationist, when tolerating their lies etc, only serves to fuel their delusion that they actually are contributing something of intellectual worth. We've all heard the "well YOU'RE debating with me so my ideas must be worth something" rejoinder and it's manifold variations.

There exists a certain subset of mentally ill people for whom the attention is all they desire and they will run dishonest, irrational circles around people like you and I (because believe it or not I do the same damned thing, I'm just in an "intolerant phase" atm! ) who want to rationally discuss things with them. Sadly these people seem to be overrepresented amongst creationists (anecdotally at least). Occasionally we need to stop the cartoon of them running around us with the Acme Frying Pan to the face of a good, honest, unflinching assessment. That will involve nasty words like "lies" "liar" "not you're just being dishonest" "oh for fuck's sake this is the third time you've had this pointed out to you today, are you simply deranged?" and variations therein. Sometimes continual acceptance of their behaviour for fear of offending them is the worst tactic. Not always, just sometimes. For THEIR benefit they need to be confronted with, for want of a better word, the reality of their own behaviour, just like you are attempting to confront others with the reality of theirs. Sadly, your version and reality don't match but hey, that's no biggy as long as you can admit that! ;)

Also, I'm not so sure I like the implied patronising tone of your complaint. Not towards me you understand, but towards creationists. Are these creationists not adults? Are these creationists not people responsible for their actions? Are they mere puppets for your amusement and study? It appears I give them more credit as people than you do! You want to effectively counter creationist gibberish, great so do I! Guess what, JUST calling them "fucktards" won't do it, but neither will ignoring their distortions and letting them run the show. Pointing out where and when and how they are lying, distorting, and obfuscating puts them on the back foot. Granted this is not a "one size fits all tactic" but it is certainly one that fits those poor deluded unfortunates described above. That they cry offense or insult DOES NOT MAKE IT SO. Get it?

Louis

--------------
Bye.

don_quixote

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2007,05:44   

Very well said, Louis!

demallien

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2007,06:27   

Quote (Louis @ Jan. 31 2007,03:37)

Louis, personally I find you to be a highly aggressive and judgemental person.  This may not be true, but it is certainly the impression that you give.  If, back at Cedric's hypothetical party, I had to make a choice between talking to you, and talking to Avocationist, you would not be the winner.  Have a think about that before embracing the agrressive, insulting behaviour that has frequently been displayed on this discussion.

You claim to know Avocationist's inner motives - you seem to believe that you know that she is being, and I quote "DELIBERATELY, DISHONESTLY and WILLFULLY ignorant".  Oh, really?  And you arrived at this highly scientific conclusion how exactly?  Personally, I would prefer to give someone the benefit of the doubt where doubt exists (as it most certainly must in such a case).

You are also exceedingly condescending: "Oh btw you DO realise the difference between offending someone intentionally and someone taking offense don't you? I'd hate to reduce the discussion to pointing out that tiny difference." Call me dumb, but I reckon that most people when called "pig-ignorant" can safely assume that the caller is seeking to offend intentionally ("Oh, what?  You mean you find the term "pig-ignorant" offensive?  Who woulda thought?!?).  And before you shoot off again Louis, no, I'm not accusing you of having called anyone pig-ignorant.  It was about the 5th usage of this term, accomanied by quite a few swearwords,  by Lenny that prompted me to start this little sub-discussion with a call to civility.

If you still don't get my point about civility Louis (now who's being deliberaelty obtuse?), let me ask you this - If you were to go down to your local pub, start a conversation with some guy, and then commence to call him "pig-ignorant", or a "fucktard", or any of the other cheerful little terms of abuse that have been used in this thread, how do you reckon he'd react.  Personally I'm guessing that repeated behaviour of this kind would result in you eating your teeth.  I'm also guessing that if you did find yourself in a pub discussing ID with a creationist, that you would avoid using such language - at least in part to avoid a large dental bill.

Why do you think it's ok then to behave like this on the Internet?  An even better question:  Why are you fighting so hard for the right to abuse people?  Are you really just a bully Louis?  Is abusing people so important to you that you are willing to write long rants in reply to people suggesting that a little civility could be in order?

It costs exactly nothing to be civil to others on this list Louis.

As a final little sub-note, sure, I study the reactions of creationists when I debate them.  I try to understand the reasons for why what I am saying doesn't seem to penetrate.  This always amazes me, because in general I restrict myself to relating scientifically-provable facts.  Understanding how people avoid accepting the truth of a proven fact is instrumental in learning how to best communicate that fact.  For example, probing Avocationist's bizarre disconnect a few posts back, we learn that for Avocationist, ID means that God fiddles with mutations in DNA. All of Lenny's insults failed to unveil this little tidbit of information.  It also shows that Avocationist probably isn't being deliberately and willfully ignorant.  If we push a little further on the studies that govern probabilities of mutations, we will probably discover that Avocationist will argue a God-Of-The-Gaps type of line - specifically that the big guy fiddles with molecules on the sub-quantum level.  Indetectible of course, and hence infalsifiable, and hence completely unscientific.  But whilst we can't close down the gaps, we will never be able to convince Avocationist wrong

Anyway, you may find such a study patronising.  It's true that most humans don't like to be the subject of research.  But when such research is restricted to actions in the public domain, I really can't see anything wrong, or even patronising, about it. YMMV

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2007,07:03   

Quote (demallien @ Jan. 30 2007,23:26)
I'm not entirely sure what you expect from the creationists that wander in here anyhow.

Nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  Creationism simply has nothing serious to talk about.  As far as I am concerned, they are here to provide entertainment value at their antics and their silly "arguments".  I.e., they are here to be laughed at.  Nothing more.

Trying to "convert" or "educate" them is an utter complete waste of time.

--------------

Darth Robo

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2007,07:05   

To be fair, demallien, I think that calling Louis and Lenny 'abusive' is a bit OTT.  I've seen other posters at PT for example borderline on 'abuse', but I don't think what I've seen so far cuts it.  Okay, you may disagree with their methods, you might think that they're a pain in the butt, but so what?  The reason they might not be as 'nice' as you is simply they pointed out a flaw in Avo's reasoning, Avo didn't back it up and refused to back down when she was shown wrong.  That's when the kid-gloves come off and they'll just say what they think.  Avo is perfectly welcome to just switch off, or simply just say: "Fuckoff, you mean old evolutionists!".  Or back up (or even retract) some of her claims.  Sorry, but I had to have a little smile at some of Avo's posts because I KNEW that at any moment that Lenny was gonna come in for the slaughter.  (I also had that same smile when you told him to cool it).  

Now Avo could have reconsidered her position (especially since she had lots of other nice posters like yourself to point out her errors) but she didn't.  Hence the response she got.  I've seen this happen on other forums and usually it's the fundies who then cry out about how mean they are being treated, right after they've been slaughtered for talking nonsense.  If you wanna feel sorry for her then fine, but I saw this coming a mile away.  I don't think Louis or Lenny are gonna worry too much just because someone thinks they're 'mean'.  So, slaughter away, boys.   :D

--------------
"Commentary: How would you like to be the wholly-owned servant to an organic meatbag? It's demeaning! If, uh, you weren't one yourself, I mean..."

demallien

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2007,08:11   

Quote (Darth Robo @ Jan. 31 2007,07:05)
To be fair, demallien, I think that calling Louis and Lenny 'abusive' is a bit OTT.  I've seen other posters at PT for example borderline on 'abuse', but I don't think what I've seen so far cuts it.  Okay, you may disagree with their methods, you might think that they're a pain in the butt, but so what?  The reason they might not be as 'nice' as you is simply they pointed out a flaw in Avo's reasoning, Avo didn't back it up and refused to back down when she was shown wrong.  That's when the kid-gloves come off and they'll just say what they think.  Avo is perfectly welcome to just switch off, or simply just say: "Fuckoff, you mean old evolutionists!".  Or back up (or even retract) some of her claims.  Sorry, but I had to have a little smile at some of Avo's posts because I KNEW that at any moment that Lenny was gonna come in for the slaughter.  (I also had that same smile when you told him to cool it).  

Now Avo could have reconsidered her position (especially since she had lots of other nice posters like yourself to point out her errors) but she didn't.  Hence the response she got.  I've seen this happen on other forums and usually it's the fundies who then cry out about how mean they are being treated, right after they've been slaughtered for talking nonsense.  If you wanna feel sorry for her then fine, but I saw this coming a mile away.  I don't think Louis or Lenny are gonna worry too much just because someone thinks they're 'mean'.  So, slaughter away, boys.   :D

Darth,

Firstly, I didn't call Louis abusive.  He did that himself.  To quote: "And yes I am very likely to use colourful expressions, allusions, metaphors and indeed outright abusive statements when so annoyed".

As for Lenny, I offer up the following excerpts from the last seven days on this thread:

======================
Thanks for once again demonstrating to everyone that you are just an uninformed uneducated pig-ignorant buffoon who has no idea at all what she is talking about.

creationists like Avo prove themselves to be crushingly uneducated and ignorant about basic biology and evolution.  But I *am* mildly surprised (and a little annoyed) when they turn out to be too stupid and uninformed to even get the basic CREATIONIST arguments straight.

Idiot.  No WONDER the ID/creationists think you're just as nutty and pig-ignorant as WE do.  (shrug)

One quick question for you, Avo ---- since, as you admit, you don't know what the fuck you are talking about, why should anyone, anywhere,m at any time, give a flying fig WHAT you think about the subject?

Do you think that maybe, just MAYBE, mind you, you should, uh, shut the #### up and stop yammering stupidly about things that you don't understand and don't know anything about?

See, Avo, I think you're utterly totally absolutely completely pig-ignorant of every single topc that you are presuming to discuss here.

Demonstrate to me that you actually have the slightest grasp of what you are yammering about.

That's why she hasn't a goddamn clue what she's blithering about.  (shrug)

===================

I'm wondering what more you would need before considering someone "abusive" Darth.

Something to think about - If a creationist on this thread let loose the same stream of comments as Lenny has above, how long would it be before said creationist was banned in your opinion?

I don't feel sorry for Avocationist.  Personally I find that she's extremely ignorant on the topic of evolution, and foolish for thinking that despite her ignorance, she could lecture people here, most of whom are vastly more informed than herself.  But watching attacks like Lenny's little effort makes me extremely uneasy, a bit like that sensation you get when you witness a pub fight but don't have the courage to step in and stop it.

Civility costs nothing.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2007,08:18   

Demallien,

Well someone's got their nosie in a snit!

You find me condescending and aggressive and judgemental? Dude, read your own posts on this topic, then cry me a river. My dilemma now is do I treat you as you argue or do I attempt to smoothe ruffled feathers? Hmm. I'll tell you what, I'll give you benefit of the doubt.

As I had the decency to take your comment seriously (even if you don't like the answer) perhaps, just perhaps you could read my comments in a similarly charitable vein?

Let's deal with your strawman. Read back, where am I in anyway advocating, supporting or indeed performing outright abuse in the manner suggested in your pub analogy? Nowhere. (BTW are you British? If so we should have a drink in a pub sometime, you never know, you might just agree with me! ) I treat those offline just like those online FYI, and it's bloody rare that things get to the dental rearrangement stages, in fact I can't think of one offline debate I've had where this has happened. Since I've had quite a few of these offline debates, the stats aren't bad, although obviously you'll have to trust me on that, something I doubt you'll do, mainly because I have certain suspicions. But anyhoo, should one day I merit a dental restructuring I at least want to earn it! BTW are you another message board toughie like GoP? I'd love to meet you in real life, I'm sure you'd find it edifying.

If you bother to read back over my replies to Avo of since her re-emergence (she is an old hand as it were) you will see that I at least started out unfailingly polite and then, when I decided I was dealing with an unrepentant IDCist, mostly ignored her. As for deliberately, dishnoestly and willfully ignorant, I suggest that those reading for comprehension lessons I mentioned go up your agenda. I was making a general point, one amply clarified later on. Is Avo in this subset of people? No idea, I THINK she might well be, but I'm happy to be wrong. Just as indeed I'm happy to be wrong about anything. Of course these are the actions of an aggressive, condescending bully.

Anyway, rather than me rewrite my previous post for the sake of an uncharitable reader, how about you read back over it and deal with it as an argument, not a series of potential quotemines and strawmen. I think you'll find it's eminantly more reasonable than you might suppose, you may have missed that in your leap for your high horse.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

demallien

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2007,09:31   

Quote (Louis @ Jan. 31 2007,08:18)
Let's deal with your strawman. Read back, where am I in anyway advocating, supporting or indeed performing outright abuse in the manner suggested in your pub analogy? Nowhere.

Try here for justifying abuse:
" Sadly these people seem to be overrepresented amongst creationists (anecdotally at least). Occasionally we need to stop the cartoon of them running around us with the Acme Frying Pan to the face of a good, honest, unflinching assessment. That will involve nasty words like "lies" "liar" "not you're just being dishonest" "oh for fuck's sake this is the third time you've had this pointed out to you today, are you simply deranged?" and variations therein."

Or here for supporting Lenny's effort:
"Whilst I'm not in the category of "annoyed" that Lenny apparently is in (not that I think said category is in any way indefensible, it's well justified IMO)"

That strawman seems to have a fair bit of substance to me Louis.

I'm not being incharitable towards you as a reader.  I had no issue with anything you had said on this thread, until you leapt to the defense of Lenny after I called him on his unceasing stream of vitriol.  On the other hand, I find that defense of comportement such as Lenny's is in itself indefensible.  And I find your support for the use of abuse as a valid tactic rather worrying.

Apparently I'm in the minority here.  Apparently the majority of people here think it's cool to abuse creationists.  Frankly, I don't care if the majority disagrees.  I've had enough of this piss-poor behaviour on the 'Net.  On other sites, it's me the target, for daring to have a contrary opinion on a given topic.  I can't really argue the point for civility when I'm the victim, but no longer shall I remain silent when I'm a bystander.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2007,10:40   

Demallien,

Like I said, the post I wrote is an argument, not a series of potential quote mines. I am not advocating or defending abuse (in the case of Lenny I was saying his annoyance was justified, not his abuse. Seriously, reading for comprehension, look it up. At the same time look up the difference between justified emotional/psychological state and justified actions based on said state).

As for the previous comment you quote, and here's some "abuse" for you, are you so determined to paint me the villain that you deliberately take my comments out of context? Some might consider that less than fully 100% honest, although I would never have the temerity to even attempt to suggest it. Read the whole argument Demallien, deal with the whole argument.

Explain to me how pointing out to a person who has lied that they have lied, even using the word "liar", constitutes abuse. Perhaps the cartoon metaphor threw you. The "Acme frying pan to the face" comment was an amusing image I had in my head at the time of posting, does it need saying that I am not advocating real frying pans to real faces? Do you really think that after you have explained delicately and patiently 2+2=4 to a confirmed 2+2=TripleQ advocate 2, 3 or more times that it is somehow ABUSIVE to ask the question "oh for fuck's sake this is the third time you've had this pointed out to you today, are you simply deranged?". Wow you're ability to be even faintly self critical is terribly low isn't it of you think THAT constitutes abuse. I'll grant you it might not be very tolerant, but it sure as #### is perfectly justified based on the actions of said 2+2=TripleQ advocate. Since when did tolerance of hypocrisy, deliberate ignorance and outright lies become polite? I must have missed that little update.

All the following are from the OED:

Abuse

1. The process of using up or wearing out. Obs.
2. a. Wrong or improper use, misuse, misapplication, perversion. spec. The non-therapeutic or excessive use of a drug; the misuse of any substance, esp. for its stimulant effects. Cf. drug-abuse s.v. DRUG n.1 1b; solvent abuse s.v. SOLVENT n. 5.
b. Rhet. Improper use of words, catachresis.
3. A bad or improper usage (i.e. a use which has become chronic), a corrupt practice.
4. Imposture, deceit; delusion. Obs.
5. Injury, wrong, ill-usage. Obs.
6. Violation, defilement (now only in self-abuse).  1993 update [6.] For def. read: Violation, defilement. In mod. use esp. sexual or other maltreatment, and freq. with qualifying word, as CHILD abuse, SELF-ABUSE n., SEXUAL abuse, etc.
7. Injurious speech, reviling, execration; abusive language.

Injurious:

Fraught with injury; tending to injure: said of actions, and persons committing them.

1. Wrongful; hurtful or prejudicial to the rights of another; wilfully inflicting injury or wrong.
2. Wilfully hurtful or offensive in language; contumelious, insulting; calumnious. (Now only of words or speech, and passing into sense 3.)
3. Tending to hurt or damage; hurtful, harmful, detrimental, deleterious.
4. injurious affection (Law): a term used of a situation in which part of a person's land is acquired compulsorily under statutory powers and the remaining part is reduced in value, either because it is a smaller piece or because of what has been done on the land compulsorily acquired; also, of other situations in which an owner seeks compensation for the deleterious effect on his property of the exercise of statutory powers; injurious falsehood (Law): an actionable falsehood, a false statement claimed to have caused damage to the plaintiff in respect of his office, profession, trade or business, etc.

(and since it is a favourite of mine) Execration:

1. The action of execrating.    a. The action of solemnly laying under a curse; an instance of this. Obs. or arch.
b. The utterance of curses (as an expression of hatred).
c. Utter detestation; intense abhorrence.
2. An uttered curse; an anathema, an imprecation.
3. That which is execrated; an object of cursing.

So, unless it is intended to cause injury, unless it is as a curse, or unless it is wrong, (for example) calling a proven liar a liar does not constitute abuse. The only possible hope for it being abusive is in its limited sense of being injurious in the sense of it being hurtful. I agree a proven liar may well be hurt by having this trait pointed out, but I think I could argue (and in part actually have done so above) that by far the greater abuse is that of the liar. Merely pointing this out is by far and away the lesser of the two "abuses". And this is only the case if we grant that it is abusive at all, for it can only be so in a very limited sense.

That makes me think of a question: which is the most rude/offensive/abusive/impolite of the two acts: The lie of the proven liar or the comment of the person that points this out to him/her? I would argue the former, are you arguing the latter?

Also I think you need to read what people have actually written, not what you think they have written. Your claim that I am defending Lenny's abuse, when I am defending his irritation is a good case in point. Whether or not I would defend Lenny's phraseology is a different (and as yet unexplored) matter. You'll also find that, as you would note if you had read the above for anything approaching comprehension, I am far from dogmatic on the issue and consider it an entirely situational one. Please try to grasp the difference between an empathetic understanding, even sympathy for a person's mental state and a defense or advocacy of the actions they perform in that mental state. Incidentally this is also why I am "hard" on creationists (I'm really a total kitten), not because I don't understand their mental state, I do (like many others do too), I just don't agree with how they ACT on it. When proven wrong about X beyond reasonable doubt I expect people to have the intellectual honesty to say so, I know I do.

Like I said before, but I'll make it a bit more explicit this time, there is a difference between hurling abuse at a creationist the very second they open their mouths and announce their presence, and telling them in no uncertain terms that they have lied (for the sake of example). Do I really need to spell out YET AGAIN I do not defend, advocate or even DO the former, and have no problem with the latter. Just like your pub strawman analogy, no Demallien I do not advocate, defend or do abuse in that sense. What I DO do, advocate and defend is the justifiable pricking of pompous creationists by not letting them get away with their dishonesty. Lenny's tactics might differ from mine, but as I said, we haven't yet got to the issue of whether or not I support Lenny's actions.

You might enjoy creationists feeding you horse shit as honey cakes, but I sure as eggs is eggs do not. Guess what, occasionally I'm going to ever so delicately let them know that, if that's ok with you of course. And even rarer than those tiny few occasions, sweetheart, I might prefix it with the word "fuck". On those few occasions Demallien I fervently hope you will have the wit to comprehend that there has been a) some history prior to the utterance of "fuck", b) that when all is said and done of all the crimes commited the use of the word "fuck" is a very very minor one. Again the question becomes which is worse/ruder/more impolite etc using the word "fuck" or lying? I'd argue lying, I'd also argue that it is vastly more damaging to civil, pleasant, productive, rational, informative discourse than any number of "fucks".

Oh and one last thing Demallien:

I had no issue with anything you had said on this thread, until you leapt to the defense of Lenny after I called him on his unceasing stream of vitriol.

and

Louis, personally I find you to be a highly aggressive and judgemental person.  This may not be true, but it is certainly the impression that you give.  If, back at Cedric's hypothetical party, I had to make a choice between talking to you, and talking to Avocationist, you would not be the winner.  Have a think about that before embracing the agrressive, insulting behaviour that has frequently been displayed on this discussion.

Wow you got ALL that from ONE post defending Lenny's irritation? Hardly seems consistent with having "no issue with anything I'd said on this thread" now does it? You're not an old friend like Avo are you Demallien?

Louis

--------------
Bye.

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2007,12:51   

demallian:

Take it from someone who lives in the American Deep South:

Reasoning with the uncivilised doesn't work. They are either incapable of responding to such measures, or they will misuse whatever logic they possess to rationalise their barbarism.

More people sympathise with your position than you think. Just keep on providing the quality arguments and the lurkers will respond.

--------------
Dey can't 'andle my riddim.

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2007,16:34   

Quote (demallien @ Jan. 31 2007,00:26)
I'm not entirely sure what you expect from the creationists that wander in here anyhow.  Evidently, the fact that they are creationists means that they don't know how to think critically, or scientifically.  But I think I can say with absolute certainty that you'll never convince them with abuse.  About the best that you can do is give real world examples that contradict their beliefs, a bit like some of us are trying to do with Avocationist via nylon eating bacteria at the moment.

First, Avo is way beyond being convinced by anything.  If you go back and read the first thread, she says a lot of the same things here that were already shredded there.

Second, Avo might not know how to think critically or scientifically (actually she doesn't, there's no need for the "might" modifier) but that doesn't excuse her from the attacks she has made on all of us and the distortions she made against quite a few people.

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2007,16:56   

Quote (demallien @ Jan. 31 2007,10:31)
Apparently I'm in the minority here.  Apparently the majority of people here think it's cool to abuse creationists.  Frankly, I don't care if the majority disagrees.  I've had enough of this piss-poor behaviour on the 'Net.  On other sites, it's me the target, for daring to have a contrary opinion on a given topic.  I can't really argue the point for civility when I'm the victim, but no longer shall I remain silent when I'm a bystander.

It's done on a case by case basis.

If I went to a site and argued the way Avo does, obviously lying, manipulating words, condecension, etc. then I would expect to get some pretty shoddy treatment.  If she were polite, then I would treat her the same way.  In fact, I did, until she became rather rude and abusive.  From there, I decided that I would call her out on her lies and everything else.  If she had remained polite, then I would still be polite to her.

Edit:  demaillen, as someone else said, if you can get a straight answer out of Avo, good on you.  I've given her as much benefit of the doubt that I can, and I will no longer tolerate her lies, which is why I've called her "liar" in no-uncertain-terms.  I don't feel that I'm being abusive, because I'm pointing out the truth.  She is a liar.  I gave her ample opportunities to say that she made a mistake or to retract, and she never took one of them.  Instead, she lashed out at me and others and continued even further down the path.  This is not being polite.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2007,17:26   

demallien, there is too much abuse on this board. I've been thinking about the problem for a couple of months. It's clear there needs to be a change of direction, I've just been too busy to sort out this messy problem. Trust me, though, I'm thinking about it. I've got some ideas, I just haven't had a few uninterrupted hours in which to sort out all the issues.

(of course, anyone with suggestions is welcome to send them to me)

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2007,17:41   

Well ####, I think that pointing out that someone is pig-ignorant and utterly uninformed about the topic she presumes to pontificate at us about, is not "abuse".  It is a simple statement of fact.

Sorry if she doesn't like it.  Sorry if YOU don't like it.   (shrug)

--------------

MidnightVoice

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2007,18:40   

Message boards always get like this, especially when is discussing srtongly held opinions.

--------------
If I fly the coop some time
And take nothing but a grip
With the few good books that really count
It's a necessary trip

I'll be gone with the girl in the gold silk jacket
The girl with the pearl-driller's hands

The Ghost of Paley

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2007,19:04   

MidnightVoice:

Message boards always get like this, especially when is discussing srtongly held opinions.

Not true. There's a baseball board I also post on, and the level of civility is much, much higher. And no, the mods don't have to crack the whip that often.

On the other hand, Sherdog is much nastier than any forum I've ever seen. This might say something about MMA fans vs baseball fans, but I'll leave it to the sociologists to hash out the cause.

--------------
Dey can't 'andle my riddim.

"Rev Dr" Lenny Flank

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 31 2007,19:06   

Quote (demallien @ Jan. 31 2007,08:11)
Thanks for once again demonstrating to everyone that you are just an uninformed uneducated pig-ignorant buffoon who has no idea at all what she is talking about.

creationists like Avo prove themselves to be crushingly uneducated and ignorant about basic biology and evolution.  But I *am* mildly surprised (and a little annoyed) when they turn out to be too stupid and uninformed to even get the basic CREATIONIST arguments straight.

One quick question for you, Avo ---- since, as you admit, you don't know what the fuck you are talking about, why should anyone, anywhere,m at any time, give a flying fig WHAT you think about the subject?

Do you think that maybe, just MAYBE, mind you, you should, uh, shut the #### up and stop yammering stupidly about things that you don't understand and don't know anything about?

See, Avo, I think you're utterly totally absolutely completely pig-ignorant of every single topc that you are presuming to discuss here.

Demonstrate to me that you actually have the slightest grasp of what you are yammering about.

That's why she hasn't a goddamn clue what she's blithering about.  (shrug)

I'm mildly curious as to which of these, specifically, you feel to be . . . well . . . incorrect . . . ?  It looks to me as if every one of these statements is 100% accurate.  Do you disagree?

--------------

459 replies since Jan. 22 2007,04:54 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (16) < ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]