RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Topic: Congrats to Rilke's Grandaughter!, (just successfully defended her thesis)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,11:10   

so, RG, now that you've defended your thesis, what will you do now?

--------------
"And the sea will grant each man new hope..."

-CC

Rilke's Granddaughter

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,11:12   

Post-doc.  Research.  MD.  Second PhD.  MA Fine Arts.  Get drunk.  Get married.  Have babies.  Save the world.

Not necessarily in that order!   :D

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,11:13   

Congratulations!

I'm sure it was mentioned somewhere and I just missed it, but what's the title? Or, if you don't want to give DaveTard material to track you down on the web and slander you, what's it about, roughly?

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,11:18   

Not necessarily in that order!

oh...

so you don't want to go to Disneyland?

"Ok guys, put the lights and the camera back in the truck, the promo's a no go!"

;)

--------------

-CC

Occam's Aftershave

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,11:34   

Congratulations on a job well done! :)

- O.A.

--------------
"CO2 can't re-emit any trapped heat unless all the molecules point the right way"
"All the evidence supports Creation baraminology"
"If it required a mind, planning and design, it isn't materialistic."
"Jews and Christians are Muslims."

- Joke "Sharon" Gallien, world's dumbest YEC.

Rilke's Granddaughter

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,11:53   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ June 15 2006,16:13)
Congratulations!

I'm sure it was mentioned somewhere and I just missed it, but what's the title? Or, if you don't want to give DaveTard material to track you down on the web and slander you, what's it about, roughly?

I try to stay away from stalkers  :)  but the title is "Transporter Malfunctions: Speculative Correlation between Inclusion Body Formation and Dopamine Transporter Reversal"

Catchy title, huh?  It didn't turn out to be quite as descriptive as I was hoping.

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,12:20   

Quote (Rilke's Granddaughter @ June 15 2006,16:53)
Congratulations!

I try to stay away from stalkers  :)  but the title is "Transporter Malfunctions: Speculative Correlation between Inclusion Body Formation and Dopamine Transporter Reversal"

Catchy title, huh?  It didn't turn out to be quite as descriptive as I was hoping.

He11, with a title like that, no one can possibly tell what it's about!  :p

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

dochocson

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,16:29   

Did someone say "transporter malfunction"?

Better get Scotty on that right away.

Oh, and congratulations!

--------------
All bleeding stops...eventually.

apollo230

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,17:27   

This is the time of year for new PhD's to sprout!  Congratulations, and I do hope that your work gives you both pleasure and satisfaction!

Best regards,
apollo230
:)

Drew Headley

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,17:32   

Congratulations!

Nice, I just submitted a paper on VMAT2 in sympathetic neurons. What dopamine transporters do you work with?

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,17:51   

Re "Transporter Malfunctions: Speculative Correlation between Inclusion Body Formation and Dopamine Transporter Reversal"
Re "with a title like that, no one can possibly tell what it's about!"

Sounds like something from Star Trek! ;)

Henry

(Rats, somebody beat me to that comment... :D )

skeptic

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,17:55   

sincere congrats, its a great achievement.

incorygible

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,18:59   

Congrats! :)

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,19:26   

Congratulations!  Welcome to the club!

You took advice for the title from Piled High and Deeper, didn't you?  Only the preposition was missing: I'm not sure what that implies.

Bob

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

guthrie

(Permalink) Posted: June 15 2006,22:08   

"Transporter Malfunctions: Speculative Correlation between Inclusion Body Formation and Dopamine Transporter Reversal"

See!!!  They've admitted its all speculation!!!

afdave

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,01:04   

I thought of a lot of funny comments I could make, but I'll be nice ...

Congratulations!

Do I have to call you Dr. Rilke now when I refute you?

--------------
A DILEMMA FOR THE COMMITTED NATURALIST
A Hi-tech alien spaceship lands on earth ... DESIGNED.
A Hi-tech alien rotary motor found in a cell ... NOT DESIGNED.
http://afdave.wordpress.com/....ess.com

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,05:01   

There was a thesis defence today in our department, on absorption and scattering of light in forest canopies (it's important here in Finland).  The final two questions were "what was the name of teh only opera Beethoven wrote?", and "which English poet wrote The Daffodils?".  The poor student didn't know either of them.  Mind you, he had already thrown the examiner by bringing semiotics into the discussion.

I hope you didn't have anything as hard.

Bob

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,05:27   

Congrats, Rilke!

Oh boy, try to save the world before you have babies- otherwise we're DOOMED (I've babysitted enough nephews to know...)

--------------
A look into DAVE HAWKINS' sense of honesty:

"The truth is that ALL mutations REDUCE information"

"...mutations can add information to a genome.  And remember, I have never said that this is not possible."

Flint

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,05:32   

I knew about Fidelio, but not about Daffodils. I hope now that she is Officially Smart, RGD won't abandon us. I've grown almost addicted to her posts.

Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,05:38   

A very big congrats RGD. Well done.

bourgeois_rage

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,05:53   

Congrats! As someone who only has a lowly BS, I'm in awe.

--------------
Overwhelming Evidence: Apply directly to the forehead.

thurdl01

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,07:50   

Could be worse, I've only got a degree in BSing.

Congrats!

Rilke's Granddaughter

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,09:28   

Quote (apollo230 @ June 15 2006,22:27)
This is the time of year for new PhD's to sprout!  Congratulations, and I do hope that your work gives you both pleasure and satisfaction!

Best regards,
apollo230

Y'know, what's funny is that I thought I'd be much more... excited or happy or something.  But I didn't party late last night, and had a strong urge to crawl back into bed and pull the covers over my head this morning.

'tis very peculiar.

Anybody else feel "let down" when the pile got dumped?

Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,09:37   

Quote (Rilke's Granddaughter @ June 16 2006,14:28)
Quote (apollo230 @ June 15 2006,22:27)

Best regards,
apollo230

Y'know, what's funny is that I thought I'd be much more... excited or happy or something.  But I didn't party late last night, and had a strong urge to crawl back into bed and pull the covers over my head this morning.

'tis very peculiar.

I do have an inkling. Nothing to do with something as spectacular as a doctorate though.

But, you have a high aim, eventually achieve it, then suddenly realise the journey was better than the destination?

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,10:31   

yeah, that's the reality for most of us.  gotta take time to absorb that the big weight has been lifted.

I doubt it's unusual at all.  You'll feel like partying soon enough.

;)

--------------

-CC

guthrie

(Permalink) Posted: June 16 2006,12:49   

Sorry, I should have added some congratulations.
So, happy PhD day, I hope you find some good work to do now.

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: June 19 2006,04:28   

Congrats.

I knew there was a reason your posts are so intelligent.

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: June 19 2006,07:26   

Hi F2 Rilke,

First: Congratulations. I know exactly how hard it is, I still twitch when I remember my own!

Biochem PhD? Cell transport and possibly signalling? I'm not a biochemist (I'm a synthetic organic chemist) but the title of your thesis reminds me of my wife's PhD a little, which was on cell signalling and transport related to glucose transporters (specifically GLUT4).

Second: You don't feel like partying after your viva voce (a defense over here in the UK), you feel like sleeping. A few days after mine it had finally sunk it that it was over. The thesis written, the DR in front of the name, maybe a few corrections to do if you were unlucky, but essentially that's it.

I didn't want to party until about two weeks later when I had nothing (well nothing OFFICIAL!;) to do at the weekends and nights and I could just kick back like I did before Phd. The like Ichthyic mentioned, the weight being removed from your shoulders takes a while to sink in (to mix my metaphors horribly). I found it was a MASSIVE let down.

I had expected this big relief, an urge to take vast quantities of drugs, drink far too much alcohol and have sex with anything that moves or doesn't, you know basically the things you deny yourself whilst you have to be in lab at 3am on a Sunday. But strangely, those desires were there like normal! No excessive hedonism ensued at all. So when I got out of gaol....

But seriously, it's such a disappointing change in your life, you expect it to be so big and it just isn't.

Still, I recommend that you force yourself to go to wild all night parties and behave abominably. You'll get the hang of it after a while.

Trust me, I'm a doctor! ;-)

--------------
Bye.

27 replies since June 15 2006,11:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]