RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (501) < ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 3, The Beast Marches On...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 24 2009,19:45   

Quote (Maya @ Sep. 24 2009,19:33)
Quote (deadman_932 @ Sep. 24 2009,18:47)

Speedo? Prevert.

Sure, this time you guys don't have a picture.

ETA: No, I don't mean of Dembski.  Or Davey.

How about RichardTHughes?

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

olegt

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 24 2009,19:55   

Denyse to Dembski, who has posted a link to a blasphemy contest sponsored by an atheist organization:

O'Leary
09/24/2009
12:46 pm

Bill, why are you always scooping me on wingnut news? I still haven’t completely forgiven you for scooping me on the Big Bazooms theory of human evolution.

I know Denyse is a hopeless case, but maybe someone should point out to her that she is using the wrong term.  It should be a moonbat, not a wingnut.  William Safire, the author of the Times column On Language, looked into these terms and had this to say:
The prevailing put-down of right-wing bloggers is wingnuts; this has recently been countered by the vilification of left-wing partisans who use the Web as moonbats, the origin of which I currently seek.

I can't imagine that the Center for Inquiry is a right-wing operation.  

And don't get me started on the Big Bazooms!

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

Maya

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 24 2009,19:58   

Quote (carlsonjok @ Sep. 24 2009,19:45)

Speedo? Prevert.

How about RichardTHughes?

I didn't realize he was a nice Catholic boy.

deadman_932

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 24 2009,19:58   

Quote (Maya @ Sep. 24 2009,18:07)

If only you could have put him in a . . . thingy.  Darn, right on the tip of my tongue.  A . . . wossname, holds stuff tight . . . .

Speedo? Prevert.

Ask and ye shall receive. Christmas comes early for Maya:

Ho, Ho, Ho, Bay-beee

--------------
AtBC Award for Thoroughness in the Face of Creationism

Maya

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 24 2009,20:08   

Quote (deadman_932 @ Sep. 24 2009,19:58)

If only you could have put him in a . . . thingy.  Darn, right on the tip of my tongue.  A . . . wossname, holds stuff tight . . . .

Speedo? Prevert.

Ho, Ho, Ho, Bay-beee

Note to self:  No more posting on AtBC on Thursday Margarita night.

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 24 2009,21:49   

Quote (Maya @ Sep. 24 2009,20:08)
Quote (deadman_932 @ Sep. 24 2009,19:58)

Speedo? Prevert.

Ho, Ho, Ho, Bay-beee

Note to self:  No more posting on AtBC on Thursday Margarita night.

Trust me, it doesn't get any better on Saturday moonshine night or on Tuesday vanilla extract night.

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 25 2009,04:09   

StephenB caps a discussion vis quantum events that spanned many threads with yet another remarkable concession. Throughout that discussion he expressed more willingness to have his teeth pulled with rusty pliers than admit that there are elements of quantum theory that can be said to be acausal.

Now he closes that discussion with an extensive, admiring quote of William Lane Craig, "one of the most talented [and thorough] philosophers that I know." Buried therein we find:

"Now in fact particle pair production furnishes no analogy for this radical ex nihilo becoming, as Davies seems to imply. This quantum phenomenon, even if an exception to the principle that every event has a cause, provides no analogy to something’s coming into being out of nothing."

StephenB: From your selection of this closing quote we take it you now concede Diffaxial's point that some quantum events provide "an exception to the principle that every event has a cause," and may be said to be acausal.

That's progress.

We also see the motivation for Stephen's repeated modification of his Self-evident, Unchanging Law of Causation (originally "every effect has a cause") through Version 2.0 ("every physical event has a cause") and Version 3.0 ("all beginnings of existence have causes.”): He knew that, by the lights of one of his own favorite authorities, "every effect has a cause" has exceptions at the quantum level (as Diffaxial and others repeatedly asserted, and SB repeatedly denied), and recognized the inevitability of having to concede that.

Many bits would have been spared had he either the stones or the integrity to simply admit his mistake.

[Edited to correct Version 1.0]

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

olegt

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 25 2009,06:56   

From StephenB's gem of a tard unearthed by Bill:

Many great minds agree with me, including some of the most influential philsophers who ever lived. I will let someone else do the talking. He is William Lane Craig, one of the most talented [and thorough] philosophers that I know.

It's just unbelievable that someone would call Craig one of the most influential philosophers of all times.  A great philosopher Craig is not.  He is better known as “the finest Christian apologist of the last half century.”  

Craig's philosophical contributions include such great achievements as reviving the cosmological argument.  He clings to the Lorentz ether theory, which includes thoroughly obsolete notions of absolute space and absolute simultaneity of time.  (General relativity makes absolutely no sense from this perspective.)

Lastly, Craig is a Research Professor of Philosophy (!) at Talbot School of Theology (!), Biola University (!!).  Needless to say, he is a Discovery Fellow.  

The guy is a living fossil.  What he does would be considered cutting-edge stuff a mere 400 years ago.  A great tard in the original sense of the word.

ETA: snark

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

Touchstone

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 25 2009,19:55   

Here's the ever-lovely Denyse:

For what it is worth, I have met genuinely humble scientists who brought credit to science – but they were usually experimentalists or medical scientists.

Same mind, mapped to another subject:

For what it is worth, I have met genuinely humble black folk who brought credit to their race – but they were usually hired help, or workers in the fields.

"Humble" being O'Leary's euphemism for "represents no threat to my foolish ideas"...

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 25 2009,20:27   

she's onto all of you theoreticians!  death to theory!

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 25 2009,21:13   

Erasmus can haz design inferentz?

from d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-dd--d-dembski's b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-blasfemmy challenge rant

Barb
09/25/2009
9:21 am
In other words, rather than rationally discuss the merits of religious belief, we’ll just blaspheme. That’s more our style.

(insert eyeroll here)

The above poster who menioned denying reality and the three cups of coffee I’ve had made me compose a song (sung to the tune of “Defying Gravity” from Wicked) :

GOD:
Oh, Charles…why couldn’t you have stayed in England instead of sailing the world over? Are you happy now that you’ve completed your endeavor? Do you think you’re clever?

DARWIN:
I hope you’re happy, too…my child is gone and you expect me to grovel in submission to feed your own ambition!

GOD/DARWIN: Although I can’t imagine how, I hope you’re happy right now.

GOD: Charles, please, listen to me…you can still be with Annie forever..what you’ve trained and worked for…I can give you all you ever wanted…

DARWIN: I know. Deep down, I know…but I don’t want it anymore.

Something has changed within me, something is not the same
I’m through with playing by the rules of your religious game
Too late for second guessing, too late, I’m in too deep
It’s time to close my eyes, trust in myself, and leap
It’s time to try defying reality
I think I’ll try defying reality
And you can’t bring me down!

GOD: Charles, Can’t I make you understand, you’re having delusions of grandeur?

DARWIN: I’m through accepting limits because you say they’re so
Some beliefs I cannot change, but until I try I’ll never know
Too long I’ve been afraid of losing your love, which I guess I’ve lost
But if that’s love, it comes at much too high a cost
I’d sooner buy
Denying reality
I think I’ll try denying reality
And you still can’t bring me down!

(spoken) There must be some way to join the two…evolution and faith

GOD: I cannot deny myself, Charles.

DARWIN: Without God, my future is unlimited…Think of what people will do in my name…

GOD: Charles, please…if you want your future to be unlimited, then come back to me.

DARWIN: Yes, unlimited…
I think I’ll try denying reality
Just the atheists and I,
Denying reality
My name will be set upon high
Denying reality

GOD (sadly): I hope you’re happy now that you’re choosing this.

DARWIN: I am.

GOD: You know, it won’t bring you bliss

DARWIN:
I really hope I get it and don’t live to regret it

GOD/DARWIN:
Will you/I be happy in the end? When you/I am no longer your friend?

DARWIN:
So if you care to find me
Look to Westminster Abbey
As someone told me lately
“Every great advance in natural knowledge has involved the absolute rejection of authority” (Thomas Huxley)
And I’m not flying solo
There are those whose thoughts are free
And to those who’d argue for design
Take a message back from me
And tell them how I am denying reality
Believing in nothing is denying reality
And soon I’ll match Newton in renown
And nobody in all the Earth
No God that there is or was
Is ever going to bring me down!

(Brooms and pyrotechnics optional)

jesus frakking christ lady get some help.

--------------

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2009,00:23   

Quote (Touchstone @ Sep. 25 2009,19:55)

For what it is worth, I have met genuinely humble scientists who brought credit to science – but they were usually experimentalists or medical scientists.

Does she intend to imply that there is any such thing like experimental ID work?
However, I must admit that the relevance of Dr. Dembski's theoretic output surely does not exceed the impact of his experimental endeavors.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2009,05:25   

Quote (sparc @ Sep. 26 2009,00:23)

Does she intend to imply that there is any such thing like experimental ID work?
However, I must admit that the relevance of Dr. Dembski's theoretic output surely does not exceed the impact of his experimental endeavors.

Funny, No "ID scientist" that I know of strikes me as humble. Dembski, Behe and the few others, humble is the last word I'd find appropriate.

They know ID is true, what remains is to get past legislation and have it taught in school.

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2009,05:39   

No comment needed, really

O'Leary

09/25/2009

7:06 pm

gleaner63,

You sure got that right.

Most people understand science as a help to understanding life, especially human life or the lives of animals humans care about or the environment in which we all live.

That’s why electronics research or medical/veterinary research or attempts to find a dark matter particle must actually work .

Few will intentionally fund a failure with elaborate excuses.

But I've highlighted the bit that's particularly relevant to ID.

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

JLT

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2009,07:43   

Whoa. I just caught up with you guys after being away for a while. I've got a slight tard overdose just by reading the quoted bits.

--------------
"Random mutations, if they are truly random, will affect, and potentially damage, any aspect of the organism, [...]
Thus, a realistic [computer] simulation [of evolution] would allow the program, OS, and hardware to be affected in a random fashion." GilDodgen, Frilly shirt owner

JLT

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2009,08:21   

Naturally, being a tard addict an' all, I couldn't stay away from the real source. And what do I find? A comment from DO'L in which she implies* that the Irish blasphemy law was instated because the Irish are afraid of Islamists.

mikev6 asks:

So you feel that Catholics in Ireland opposed this bill and it was passed despite that opposition by a strong Islamic movement? You also feel that only Islam is upset with blasphemy and Christians are immune to it? In that case, why the post here on UD?

DO'L answers:

I haven’t researched the situation in Ireland, but I do know that Islamic-dominated nations are the main group interested in official blasphemy laws. And the religion they mean to protect is Islam, not Catholic Christianity.

That means, explicitly, protecting it against criticism by Muslims and others who are angry about injustices perpetrated in its name. [...]

If the Irish follow suit with the Islamists, they should be ashamed of themselves.

Is it possible they are afraid of Islamic fascists? Lord knows, after 9-11, 7-11 and the Tube bombings, some people may just be quietly selling out.

* At least that is what my DO'L parser came up with. It must be broken. Even DO'L couldn't come up with something that ridiculous.**

** I've been away for too long. Nothing could be too ridiculous to believe in for someone who buys into ID.

--------------
"Random mutations, if they are truly random, will affect, and potentially damage, any aspect of the organism, [...]
Thus, a realistic [computer] simulation [of evolution] would allow the program, OS, and hardware to be affected in a random fashion." GilDodgen, Frilly shirt owner

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2009,11:06   

Quote (Quack @ Sep. 26 2009,06:25)

Funny, No "ID scientist" that I know of strikes me as humble. Dembski, Behe and the few others, humble is the last word I'd find appropriate.

They know ID is true, what remains is to get past legislation and have it taught in school.

I've heard Behe speak in person, and I have to say that my observation of him is quite in line with this.

He came off as a pompous twit.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2009,11:09   

Quote (JLT @ Sep. 26 2009,09:21)
DO'L answers:

I haven’t researched..., but I do know...

O'Leary summarizes ID Creationism.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

KCdgw

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2009,11:54   

Quote (Lou FCD @ Sep. 26 2009,11:06)
Quote (Quack @ Sep. 26 2009,06:25)

I've heard Behe speak in person, and I have to say that my observation of him is quite in line with this.

He came off as a pompous twit.

Yeah, but he is a veritable saint compared to Jonathan Wells.

--------------
Those who know the truth are not equal to those who love it-- Confucius

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2009,08:09   

Two paradoxical posters at UD. In response to UD's report of recent findings confirming the descent of birds from dinosaurs:

Gil Dodg'em:

How many more times must we be tormented with the Darwinian “finality” claim of the absolute and undeniable truth of the creative power of Darwinian incrementalism?...

Am I a bizarre, anti-intellectual, IQ-deprived, science-destroying troglodyte who can’t somehow see The Truth of Darwinism?

Why yes, Gil, you are, although it is because your IQ is respectable that the other descriptors (bizarre, anti-intellectual troglodyte) fit - although you won't be actually destroying science any time soon, as no one gives a rat's ass what you or anyone else on UD has to say.

Vjtorley:

Thanks to the new discovery, I think the evidence that birds are descended from dinosaurs is about as good as one could reasonably ask for.

Vjtorley is the most paradoxical pro-ID poster on UD. He is uniformly polite and respectful, writes well, is well informed, is interested in the literature, often takes reasonable positions in response to evidence (such as this example), and actually reads, understands, and sometimes modifies his views in response to contributions of ID critics. Granted, he takes a position of extreme dualism, although one of which he can mount a reasonably thoughtful defense. He is also prone to outlandish claims (human rationality arose whole in literally one 24 hour period with NO Jack Bauer involved) that are inconsistent with his own obvious fund of evolutionary knowledge, and occasionally displays a quasi-paranoid line of thinking that is a bit difficult to square with his other qualities (the notion that if human consciousness and rationality are physically instantiated, then computers are going to take over the world and think for us). But on the whole, as Diffaxial, I enjoyed my exchanges with him due to his thoughtful qualities and politeness. My only real complaint was that he is somewhat of a drive-by poster and is prone to abandoning interactions and threads after a post or two.

What's he doing among those other nitwits?

--------------

- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Quack

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2009,11:45   

Any possibility he might be an impostor - I presume sock already is out of the question?

An approach like his is something I might have wanted to take but I am far too un-educated and short-tempered to keep  pretending.

--------------
Rocks have no biology.
              Robert Byers.

Raevmo

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2009,12:34   

StephenB is a blowtard

ellazimm: “The [evolutionary] scientists working on evolution research are trying to find the details of how it all happened.”

SB: No, actually they are not. They are working hard to stop ID from finding out what happened, because we now know that the Darwinists almost certainly got it wrong. They work hard at protecting their paradigm. That’s about it. Darwinists have discovered nothing more than that which we already knew without their help—–things change. The theory of evolution has not given us one good thing in 150 years. Most of the real advances come from medical specialists and molecular biologists, neither of which need the ToE to do their work.

ellazimm: “Surely the ID researchers are doing the same. Yeah?”

SB:  Life was designed. That is a big scientific discovery. Why do you not celebrate it? There may be more to come, but maybe not. We may never know about life’s origins from a scientific point of view. If, however, ID does prove how the designer designed life, you may be sure that the Darwinist academy will respond the same way they responded to the news that life was designed. They will persecute the messenger.

What kind of bizarro world does this creep live in?

--------------
After much reflection I finally realized that the best way to describe the cause of the universe is: the great I AM.

--GilDodgen

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2009,12:46   

Quote (Raevmo @ Sep. 27 2009,13:34)
StephenB is a blowtard

ellazimm: “The [evolutionary] scientists working on evolution research are trying to find the details of how it all happened.”

SB: No, actually they are not. They are working hard to stop ID from finding out what happened, because we now know that the Darwinists almost certainly got it wrong. They work hard at protecting their paradigm. That’s about it. Darwinists have discovered nothing more than that which we already knew without their help—–things change. The theory of evolution has not given us one good thing in 150 years. Most of the real advances come from medical specialists and molecular biologists, neither of which need the ToE to do their work.

ellazimm: “Surely the ID researchers are doing the same. Yeah?”

SB:  Life was designed. That is a big scientific discovery. Why do you not celebrate it? There may be more to come, but maybe not. We may never know about life’s origins from a scientific point of view. If, however, ID does prove how the designer designed life, you may be sure that the Darwinist academy will respond the same way they responded to the news that life was designed. They will persecute the messenger.

What kind of bizarro world does this creep live in?

c'mon Raevmo you know exactly what kind of world he lives in.

a fantasy world.

--------------

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2009,16:48   

Quote (Quack @ Sep. 27 2009,12:45)

Any possibility he might be an impostor - I presume sock already is out of the question?

An approach like his is something I might have wanted to take but I am far too un-educated and short-tempered to keep  pretending.

He's the real deal. I've got a .pdf of his dissertation (in philosophy). Plus he maintains an elaborate web page stocked with links to literature that "refutes" materialism.

--------------

- David Foster Wallace

- Barry Arrington

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2009,17:15   

a fantasy world.

De plane! De plane!

Henry

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2009,17:47   

with links to literature that "refutes" materialism.

Really? If materialism is simply the philosophy of not assuming existence of something until there's evidence for it, then it's not a hypothesis that could be refuted, even in principle. After all, if somebody comes up with evidence for something previously thought not to exist, then "materialism" by that definition would not produce an objection.

(OTOH, it's possible I don't know what "materialism" means?)

Henry

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2009,21:26   

Quote (Henry J @ Sep. 27 2009,18:47)

with links to literature that "refutes" materialism.

Really? If materialism is simply the philosophy of not assuming existence of something until there's evidence for it, then it's not a hypothesis that could be refuted, even in principle. After all, if somebody comes up with evidence for something previously thought not to exist, then "materialism" by that definition would not produce an objection.

(OTOH, it's possible I don't know what "materialism" means?)

Henry

Here is a link to the page to which I refer.

ETA: His web page, which includes a link to his dissertation.

--------------

- David Foster Wallace

- Barry Arrington

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2009,22:19   

Quote (Henry J @ Sep. 27 2009,17:15)

a fantasy world.

De plane! De plane!

Henry

De sign! De sign!

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2009,23:04   

De Nile! De Nile!

(Not just a river in Egypt!)

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 28 2009,02:58   

De bait!  De Bait!

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

15001 replies since Sep. 04 2009,16:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (501) < ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]