RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (501) < ... 384 385 386 387 388 [389] 390 391 392 393 394 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 3, The Beast Marches On...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,08:20   

Would a musical based on Dover involve farting noises in any way?

If you can have Nixon in China you can certainly have Behe at Dover or Dembski at Waterloo.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,08:40   

Quote (midwifetoad @ April 07 2011,16:20)
Would a musical based on Dover involve farting noises in any way?

If you can have Nixon in China you can certainly have Behe at Dover or Dembski at Waterloo.

HUH RAH HOMO!

DAVE TARD WAKING UP NEKID ON A BEACH WOOD BE BETTER.

SEMPER FI!

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,08:40   

Amadan -
Hmmmm...that reminds me of something.

Count me in if you want a hand!

Thanks for the link, and the review!
That was still excellent!

Can we issue a POTW for a re-run?

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,08:52   

Onlookers!

http://www.uncommondescent.com/human-e....-376238

kairosfocus

04/07/2011

7:44 am
F/n 2: Onlookers, observe carefully: the latest attack on UD’s moderation policy has happened within a matter of a few weeks of our having MG do a guest post on her views. It occurs in a context where several objectors in the relevant threads seem to have rapid post privilege, and where the practice is that those who are manually moderated are moderated for cause on a declared policy. Akismet also blocks posts or dumps them into the spam pile, but the reasons for that are quite obvious. I am sorry, but the fussing I see above — within that context, and int eh conrtext of the sort of strawman caricatures I have been subjected to just above — comes across to me as largely insincere talking points meant to then be twisted into yet another red herring led away to a strawman soaked in ad homiems and ignited for the delectation of onlookers, elsewhere.

Bolding added for your, eh, delectation.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,09:14   

Quote (Richardthughes @ April 07 2011,16:52)
Onlookers!

kairosfocus

04/07/2011

F/n 2: Onlookers, observe carefully: the latest attack on UD’s moderation policy has happened within a matter of a few weeks of our having MG do a guest post on her views. It occurs in a context where several objectors in the relevant threads seem to have rapid post privilege, and where the practice is that those who are manually moderated are moderated for cause on a declared policy. Akismet also blocks posts or dumps them into the spam pile, but the reasons for that are quite obvious. I am sorry, but the fussing I see above — within that context, and int eh conrtext of the sort of strawman caricatures I have been subjected to just above — comes across to me as largely insincere talking points meant to then be twisted into yet another red herring led away to a strawman soaked in ad homiems and ignited for the delectation of onlookers, elsewhere.

oh ........so it's all about Gordon?

does he like cheese?

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

Amadan

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,09:34   

I would like to see Gordon fight Silent Bob.

--------------
"People are always looking for natural selection to generate random mutations" - Densye  4-4-2011
JoeG BTW dumbass- some variations help ensure reproductive fitness so they cannot be random wrt it.

Amadan

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,09:35   

or Harpo Marx.

--------------
"People are always looking for natural selection to generate random mutations" - Densye  4-4-2011
JoeG BTW dumbass- some variations help ensure reproductive fitness so they cannot be random wrt it.

Seversky

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,11:50   

Quote (Richardthughes @ April 07 2011,08:52)
Onlookers!

kairosfocus

04/07/2011

So with this @ 39...

13 –> Or, ARE YOU IMPLICITLY ASSUMING THAT PER LEWONTINIAN A PRIORI EVOLUTIONARY MATERIALISM ANTS ETC COULD ONLY HAVE COME ABOUT BY CHANCE PLUS NECESSITY?

...that's a full house.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,12:20   

Quote (Richardthughes @ April 07 2011,08:52)
Onlookers!

kairosfocus

04/07/2011

So after pleading "please sir do not to be attacking UD moderation please thnxkbai", we get:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/human-e....-376253

...[who plainly is not in mod; evidence that if KL's in-mod status is not by Akismet, it is probably for cause]:

TARD.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

lkeithlu

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,12:58   

I have too much to do to keep up this little charade, so:

KL
04/07/2011
11:59 am
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Sorry, but until you have explained the fossils and their ages, distribution and features using another paradigm, the old one stands.

Interesting that now you criticize my integrity and citizenship-how arrogant:

“KL, you need to take some serious reflection time, and look at what you have been doing, and how you have dealt with other people.

Not just on the topics and issues that happen to be under discussion, but as a duty of basic membership of the human civil community.”

after you declared the work of my friends, associates and spouse to be a waste of career and a delusion, yet cannot answer to the specific claims that you and others here have made. And you wonder why the science community fails to take your claims seriously. Anyone can criticize the hypotheses made by scientists, but those critiques are meaningless until alternatives are offered.

Finally, I never made any comments that would lead you to believe that I am a “sir”, yet you have assumed so. I am female, and my (male) spouse finds what has been posted here on this site completely off the mark regarding anthropology. You have demonstrated not only evasion, but dishonesty, which discerning onlookers should recognize easily.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,13:01   

You should also have called him "Gordo"

--------------

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,13:34   

Calling KF ignorant or dishonest is a good way to get out of moderation.

And into bannation.

--------------
Any version of ID consistent with all the evidence is indistinguishable from evolution.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,14:14   

Concern troll is concerned:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/human-e....-376256

kairosfocus

04/07/2011

10:23 am
JR:

Pardon, but I should note to you that by your actions of uncritically forwarding an uncivil comment above, you have been implicated in JR’s lies, slanders and misrepresentations of facts, issues and people.

Please, be careful in future.

GEM of TKI

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,14:39   

Teh_Moneh_shawt:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/human-e....-376272

JemimaRacktouey

04/07/2011

1:29 pm
Don’t worry Gordo, I’m getting to you.

--------------

midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,15:03   

Got the thread fossilized.

--------------

Tracy P. Hamilton

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,15:52   

Quote (CeilingCat @ April 07 2011,04:46)
Wow!  I think I just found God.  NO!  GOD FOUND ME!!  In fact, He hit me like a wet sock right in the face, man!  God found me and I found God.  And I found him in the darndest place!  See, I was watching BS77's oft recommended video, General Relativity, Quantum Mechanics and the Shroud of Turin.  It is super cool, man!  It starts out with really spacey music and pictures of stars and galaxies and stuff and talking about our COSMIC Horizon in Space and Time and stuff.  REALLY DEEP, man!  Like drugs, only better and you don't wake up sleeping under a porch with dog shit in your mouth - way better!!

Then it cuts to some Beethoven music and these words appear: "Contrary to the heliocentric discoveries of Copernicus and Galileo, the discovery of 4D space-time by Einstein, ..."  and then the video makes you wait for a moment while the slow-readers catch up, then it continues with, "as well as the fact the Cosmic Background Radiation left over from the Big Bang forms a perfect sphere around the earth,..." then there's another pause for the slow readers to catch up while the video switches to this really bitchin picture of a satellite actually mapping the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation!! and more words appear: "gives us clear evidence that ANY particular spot in the universe may now be considered just as central..." (my emphasis man, ANY spot!) and it continues while that cool satellite continues to map out THE FREAKIN MICROWAVE BACKGROUND RADIATION, MAN!!!!! ,,,,, and then more words appear: "as any other particular material spot in the universe can be considered central..." while this satellite maps the FMBR right in front of your eyes in 3D man! and then it opens the sphere it's made into a flat map RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR EYES!!!!1!1!! and then, like Jesus Christ sitting right on your face, IT HITS YOU:::

THE VERY CENTER OF THE WHOLE UNIVERSE IS A SPOT ABOUT FOUR INCHES UP BORNAGAIN77'S ASS! ! !!!!1!1!!ELEVEN, MAN!!!

And he's got the video that PROVES it!  Explain that, atheists!

Damn you, you made me watch!  Are you really basement cat in disguise?

Actually that part of the video was the best part, since BA77 seems to rely on some sort of inference-drawing on the viewers' part, and doesn't have anything stupid.

The quantum mechanics part - quotes from cranks.

The Shroud of Turin: "The image has no distortion, as if the sheet was perfectly flat, so the body must have been floating between two parallel sheets"  It never seems to occur to the genius that another reason the image is as if it was on a flat surface, is that most paintings are done when the canvass is flat.

P.S. Onlookers, the image is actually distorted, so particle physicist is wrong there also.

P.P.S. Particle physicists doing forensics - WTF?

--------------
"Following what I just wrote about fitness, you’re taking refuge in what we see in the world."  PaV

"The simple equation F = MA leads to the concept of four-dimensional space." GilDodgen

"We have no brain, I don't, for thinking." Robert Byers

Seversky

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,16:21   

I take my hat off to JemimaRacktouey.  I have not seen the denizens of UD duffed up so expertly in many a year.  It's a bit like watching an old episode of Kung Fu in which Kwai Chang Caine disposes of a gang of hapless attackers with a few perfectly-executed blows and throws.

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,16:24   

Quote (Seversky @ April 07 2011,11:21)
I take my hat off to JemimaRacktouey.  I have not seen the denizens of UD duffed up so expertly in many a year.  It's a bit like watching an old episode of Kung Fu in which Kwai Chang Caine disposes of a gang of hapless attackers with a few perfectly-executed blows and throws.

I agree. It's hilarious. How long can it go on now Gordon is demanding Jemima gets moderated (read banninated). Looking forward to meeting up with her in the bar after it's all over.

ETA perhaps Clive is visiting his sick mother or something.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,16:44   

Guess who Gordo is quoting, go on:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/human-e....-376296

How did you do?

--------------

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,16:46   

Gordon:

Let me cite Lewontin, again:

Has he mentioned him before, then?

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,17:00   

Irony meters off, please. Everyone, this is not a drill.

http://www.uncommondescent.com/human-e....-376299

Gordon advises JR:

Epistemic humility would counsel a very different way . . .

The same humility that makes up acronyms for concepts no-one can calculate then assert them as answers only by virtue of other narratives being incomplete in his eyes.

--------------

Texas Teach

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,17:38   

Quote (noncarborundum @ April 06 2011,21:24)
"God Rest Ye, Unitarians"
Lyrics by the Rev. Christopher Gist Raible of the First Unitarian Church of Worcester

[snip lyrics]

:)  Thanks for that.  My Dad will love it.  (And sing it very off key at every opportunity he gets.)

--------------
"Creationists think everything Genesis says is true. I don't even think Phil Collins is a good drummer." --J. Carr

"I suspect that the English grammar books where you live are outdated" --G. Gaulin

Alan Fox

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,17:41   

Jemima outs herself

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,17:43   

http://www.uncommondescent.com/human-e....-376300

kairosfocus

04/07/2011

3:59 pm
Onlookers:

The sad patterns of distortion and uncalled for polarisation or even outright uncivil conduct above coming from KL and JR today, show why I refuse to even visit places like ATBC.

GEM of TKI

WWJD, KF?

He'd be here.

--------------

Freddie

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,18:02   

BA77 brings the mushrooms:

jemi, as to miracles, exactly how do you exp0lain the now established scientific fact that the entire universe came into being from a higher transcendent realm that is not limited by time and space? Is it a miracle, or is it not, and either way, because it is now established that the entire universe can come into being instantaneously from a higher dimension, exactly why would it be ‘unscientific’ to presuppose ‘top-down’ appearance of life on earth?

Then robustly defends KF from the quote-mining charge by providing his most devastating rebuttal which, as we all know, is one of the biggest and most oft-perpetuated quote mines in the creationist arsenal.

As to the accusation of taking ‘fossil’ quotes out of context. Here is a defense of perhaps the most damning quote ever by a neo-Darwinist.

That quote!—about the missing transitional fossils
Excerpt: Dr Patterson had written a book for the British Museum simply called Evolution.2 Creationist Luther Sunderland wrote to Dr Patterson inquiring why he had not shown one single photograph of a transitional fossil in his book. Patterson then wrote back with the following amazing confession which was reproduced, in its entirety, in Sunderland’s book Darwin’s Enigma:
‘I fully agree with your comments on the lack of direct illustration of evolutionary transitions in my book. If I knew of any, fossil or living, I would certainly have included them. You suggest that an artist should be used to visualise such transformations, but where would he get the information from? I could not, honestly, provide it, and if I were to leave it to artistic licence, would that not mislead the reader?’
He went on to say:
‘Yet Gould [Stephen J. Gould—the now deceased professor of paleontology from Harvard University] and the American Museum people are hard to contradict when they say there are no transitional fossils. … You say that I should at least “show a photo of the fossil from which each type of organism was derived.” I will lay it on the line—there is not one such fossil for which one could make a watertight argument.

Best. Thread. Ever (well, since the CSI one).  Thank you JR!

--------------
Joe: Most criticisims of ID stem from ignorance and jealousy.
Joe: As for the authors of the books in the Bible, well the OT was authored by Moses and the NT was authored by various people.
Byers: The eskimo would not need hairy hair growth as hair, I say, is for keeping people dry. Not warm.

Ptaylor

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,18:10   

And just prior to the mushrooms we have Gordon E Mullings, victim:

PS: Onlookers, do you see why it is I spoke earlier about fever swamps and angry clouds of mosquitoes? I am sorry if my words are painful but consider what has happened to me at UD — not even ATBC — across a day where I decided to sacrifice a fair quantum of time to answer issues on points (having been accused of being evasive when I have been in fact busy elsewhere, starting with economic and constitutional crises following hard on the heels of an intense trip overseas). Distortion of issues and arguments, refusal to engage central issues on the merits, refusal to acknowledge plain facts, denigration, slander, outright lying. A sad picture, but a telling one on what has been going on on origins science issues, for years. Do you see how the faculty and administrators of U of K were so misled, ill advised and polarised that they implicated their school in a US$ 125,000 legal blunder?

Boo hoo.

BTW, can anyone here see how that last sentence has anything at all to do with the remainder?

--------------
We no longer say: “Another day; another bad day for Darwinism.” We now say: “Another day since the time Darwinism was disproved.”
-PaV, Uncommon Descent, 19 June 2016

didymos

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,18:32   

Oh noes!  Gordon doesn't like us:

Do you therefore see what sort of shennanigans and abuse go on in evo mat hangouts such as ATBC, and why people interested in civil and serious discussion simply ignore such fever swamps full of angry mosquitoes?

Riiiiight.  Because "fever swamps full of angry mosquitoes" is the very height of civil discourse.  Look, Gordon, just because you don't use the word "fuck" or whatever in *your* (very frequent) insults, that doesn't mean you're any better.  You're worse, in fact: you're an utter hypocrite. And a coward, since this is your pathetic excuse for hiding behind the UD moderator skirts.

--------------
I wouldn't be bothered reading about the selfish gene because it has never been identified. -- Denyse O'Leary, professional moron
Again "how much". I don't think that's a good way to be quantitative.-- gpuccio

Seversky

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,18:43   

Quote (Ptaylor @ April 07 2011,18:10)
And just prior to the mushrooms we have Gordon E Mullings, victim:

PS: Onlookers, do you see why it is I spoke earlier about fever swamps and angry clouds of mosquitoes? I am sorry if my words are painful but consider what has happened to me at UD — not even ATBC — across a day where I decided to sacrifice a fair quantum of time to answer issues on points (having been accused of being evasive when I have been in fact busy elsewhere, starting with economic and constitutional crises following hard on the heels of an intense trip overseas). Distortion of issues and arguments, refusal to engage central issues on the merits, refusal to acknowledge plain facts, denigration, slander, outright lying. A sad picture, but a telling one on what has been going on on origins science issues, for years. Do you see how the faculty and administrators of U of K were so misled, ill advised and polarised that they implicated their school in a US$ 125,000 legal blunder?

Boo hoo.

BTW, can anyone here see how that last sentence has anything at all to do with the remainder?

I'm guessing he's referring to the settlement paid to astronomer Martin Gaskell by the University of Kentucky.

Aardvark

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,19:01   

Quote (Freddie @ April 06 2011,17:40)

Quote (damitall @ April 06 2011,07:08)
Joseph asks:

"Is there a bright side if you are an atheist?"

If UD were unmoderated, the answers would be fast and furious, beginning with "yeah, atheists don't have to tolerate aggressive, ignorant, fairy-tale-believing morons like joe"

As things are, I guess no-one will bother.

Any forum that gives the likes of Joseph free rein whilst moderating polite criticism into irrelevance is terminally broken.

Rather than "Always look on the bright side ..." I would suggest "The Galaxy Song" from The Meaning of Life as a more appropriate Pythonesque/Atheist anthem.  The last two lines are particularly apropos UD.

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour,
That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned,
A sun that is the source of all our power.
The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see
Are moving at a million miles a day
In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour,
Of the galaxy we call the 'Milky Way'.
Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars.
It's a hundred thousand light years side to side.
It bulges in the middle, sixteen thousand light years thick,
But out by us, it's just three thousand light years wide.
We're thirty thousand light years from galactic central point.
We go 'round every two hundred million years,
And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
In this amazing and expanding universe.

The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
In all of the directions it can whizz
As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know,
Twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is.
So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth,
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth.

Or: this

tsig

(Permalink) Posted: April 07 2011,19:26   

Quote (Alan Fox @ April 06 2011,17:40)
Upright Biped throws down the gauntlet!

If you could only leave aside the distractions and debate me on the core tenets of ID.

Wouldn't we all like to see a core tenet of ID.

link

The core tenant of ID?

Never mention the D.

15001 replies since Sep. 04 2009,16:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (501) < ... 384 385 386 387 388 [389] 390 391 392 393 394 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]