RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 121 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128 129 130 131 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
k.e

(Permalink) Posted: June 12 2006,04:12   

GCT urbanely says "It's quite funny"

Can I award you the "Understatement of the year award"

Mixed picks (Not the best by a very long shot)

First, a good many conservatives oppose the teaching of ID in public schools. Judge Jones, a Republican, does. Michael Ruse, who called himself a conservative when I heard him speak, does.

To know that ID is not viewed as politically neutral just look around. What are some of the most politically left elements of our society? Academia, Media, Entertainment, Activist groups such as the ACLU, elements of the Democrat party. How many of each has supported ID? What is the general attitude of each of these groups on this issue?

Mommy mommy we are being attacked by the educated and cultured element of society.

Quiet stupid or no TV tonight.

I love the sound of REACTIONARY POLITICAL AND RELIGIOUSLY CONSERVATIVE FUNDIES (did you hear that Frau dSS) getting their panties in a knot.

Oooooooh nobody luvs us everybody hates us.

hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahaha

ahhhh! and its all free!!!

--------------
The conservative has but little to fear from the man whose reason is the servant of his passions, but let him beware of him in whom reason has become the greatest and most terrible of the passions.These are the wreckers of outworn empires and civilisations, doubters, disintegrators, deicides.Haldane

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: June 12 2006,05:19   

Quote (k.e @ June 12 2006,09:12)
GCT urbanely says "It's quite funny"

Can I award you the "Understatement of the year award"

I graciously accept, but I really owe this to the IDiots over at UD.  I couldn't have done it without them and their IDiotic comments.

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 12 2006,05:26   

I graciously accept, but I really owe this to the IDiots over at UD.  I couldn't have done it without them and their IDiotic comments.

"You're retards! You're really, really, retards!"

argystokes

(Permalink) Posted: June 12 2006,05:29   

Looks like Michaels7 might want to cut back on the smack

Is heroin a call? Not by us, but thru Him, all things are possible.

No, dear, that's addiction calling, not Him.

--------------
"Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?" -Calvin

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: June 12 2006,08:04   

Another DaveTard rant

Do you think it coincidence that high living standards and Christianity are found together while low living standards and Islam are found together? I certainly don’t. I’m not much of a Christian myself except in a cultural sense but I’m certainly not blind to the fact that the countries swept by the Protestant Reformation enjoy the highest living standards in the world today while those dominated by Islam, Hindu, and Buddhism have generally the lowest living standards. Christianity, democracy, and capitalism all travel hand-in-hand and together are a proven winning combination. The culture of the left in the U.S. has it all backwards. They want to punish success with high taxes and reward failure with government support. They want it okay to kill the innocent unborn and but keep alive the guilty adults convicted of heinous crimes. They want to drive all vestiges of the religion that made the U.S. the shining city on the hill out of the public sphere and replace it with the human secularism that caused the downfall of the Soviet Union. And people wonder why I hold so much contempt for the loony left… -ds

Christianity is the greatest thing since sliced toast....but I'm an agnostic.  An agnostic I say!  And those loony lefties, don't get me started.

You won't be getting started on this blog at all - You're outta here -dt

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: June 12 2006,08:38   

http://www.uncommondescent.com/index.php/archives/1198#comment-42643

Ha ha ha ha ha.
13.  DS
Do you really think its that simple? Christianity + capitalism + democracy = prosperity? During the Middle Ages the Muslim world was far more advanced and prosperous than Europe. It was largely the desire to procure goods from Muslim lands that drove the search for capital. It was Europe’s geographic good fortune to be the first to reach the wealth of the western hemisphere. It was fierce competition between nation states that drove a lot of the innovation in warfare, colonization, and general technology. The Reformation was invaluable in making Christianity more compatible with capitalism.
The resulting military domination held by European powers allowed global colonization and exploitation. India, China, Indonesia, Myanmar, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, and on and on were all dominated by Europe for centuries. You don’t think that this may have something to do with our respective places in the world today?
My miniscule narrative is an absurd over simplification, but it is much more telling then your formula.

As far as Canada goes size and wealth do have a lot to do with trade. We give them x amount of dollars for their goods. We are an extremely wealthy country with a high standard of living. They can by a certain amount of goods here or they can by much more elsewhere. This is not good or bad, right or wrong it just is. People lament the disappearence of manufactueing from the US economy but the reality is that the standard of living has rose at the same time. Certainly there were losers in the deal but life and history are not too concerned with being fair.

Do you really think its that simple? Christianity + capitalism + democracy = prosperity?

Yes. It really is just that simple. This isn’t the middle ages. And you’re wrong about trade balance. And now you’re back on moderation again for making me correct you twice. -ds

Comment by ftrp11 — June 9, 2006 @ 1:14 pm

Silly ftrp11, you should know better than to point out when DaveTard has made a fool of himself.

You won't be making a fool out of me anytime soon - You're outta here -dt

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: June 12 2006,08:39   

I offered some stats I found for that thread. Dave must have not liked them.

Here are the results of a Fall 1995 Gallup poll:

Percentage of respondents who agreed with the following statements:

Religion is        Religion can
                    "     very important  "answer all or most
Respondents          in their life"     of today's problems"
------------------------------------------------------------
Attended college         53 percent        58 percent
No college                  63                   65

Income over $50,000     48                 56
$30,000 - $50,000        56                  62
$20,000 - $30,000        56                  60
Under $20,000             66                  66

More fun stuff from studies

Of course, one must be careful with correlation - it is association not causation. But I can't help wondering...

are they thick because they are religious, or religious because they are thick?

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Faid

(Permalink) Posted: June 12 2006,09:55   

Quote (GCT @ June 12 2006,13:38)
http://www.uncommondescent.com/index.php/archives/1198#comment-42643

Ha ha ha ha ha.
13.  DS
Do you really think its that simple? Christianity + capitalism + democracy = prosperity? During the Middle Ages the Muslim world was far more advanced and prosperous than Europe. It was largely the desire to procure goods from Muslim lands that drove the search for capital. It was Europe’s geographic good fortune to be the first to reach the wealth of the western hemisphere. It was fierce competition between nation states that drove a lot of the innovation in warfare, colonization, and general technology. The Reformation was invaluable in making Christianity more compatible with capitalism.
The resulting military domination held by European powers allowed global colonization and exploitation. India, China, Indonesia, Myanmar, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, and on and on were all dominated by Europe for centuries. You don’t think that this may have something to do with our respective places in the world today?
My miniscule narrative is an absurd over simplification, but it is much more telling then your formula.

As far as Canada goes size and wealth do have a lot to do with trade. We give them x amount of dollars for their goods. We are an extremely wealthy country with a high standard of living. They can by a certain amount of goods here or they can by much more elsewhere. This is not good or bad, right or wrong it just is. People lament the disappearence of manufactueing from the US economy but the reality is that the standard of living has rose at the same time. Certainly there were losers in the deal but life and history are not too concerned with being fair.

Do you really think its that simple? Christianity + capitalism + democracy = prosperity?

Yes. It really is just that simple. This isn’t the middle ages. And you’re wrong about trade balance. And now you’re back on moderation again for making me correct you twice. -ds

Comment by ftrp11 — June 9, 2006 @ 1:14 pm

Silly ftrp11, you should know better than to point out when DaveTard has made a fool of himself.

You won't be making a fool out of me anytime soon - You're outta here -dt

And Davetard corrected him... How, exactly?

Oh I see, the "I say so" defense. Man Davetard is good. Almost as good as AFDave.

And you haven't seen my special triple-reverse ultra-banner tecnique yet, homo. Hiiiii-yah! -dt

--------------
A look into DAVE HAWKINS' sense of honesty:

"The truth is that ALL mutations REDUCE information"

"...mutations can add information to a genome.  And remember, I have never said that this is not possible."

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 12 2006,12:13   

Do you think it coincidence that high living standards and Christianity are found together while low living standards and Islam are found together? I certainly don’t. I’m not much of a Christian myself except in a cultural sense but I’m certainly not blind to the fact that the countries swept by the Protestant Reformation enjoy the highest living standards in the world today while those dominated by Islam, Hindu, and Buddhism have generally the lowest living standards.

Yes, this explains Japan perfectly....

anyway, notice that he switches from 'christian' to 'protestant'. Why didn't he include catholic nations like Mexico? are they not christian? Switching to protestant is telling.

He should have stuck with just saying islam is a ball and chain. I could actually agree with Davetard on that. islam vs christianity is a false dichotomy.

Aardvark

(Permalink) Posted: June 12 2006,15:48   

http://www.uncommondescent.com/index.php/archives/1210

No wonder biologists haven't been able to detect design in nature -they've been using microscopes when they should have been using telescopes.

apollo230

(Permalink) Posted: June 12 2006,15:51   

now you've done it, steve!  Your rough handling of Dave has prompted him to recruit the ANNE for his cause! :D

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: June 12 2006,17:15   

Bill Dembski on Ann Coulter's new book:

Critics will dismiss it for its hyperbole, lack of nuance, and in-your-face attitude.

But to IDers like me, these are good things.

But she has the gist just right, which is that materialism (she calls it liberalism) dominates our culture despite being held by only a minority of the populace...

Liberalism, materialism, whatever.  They all look the same to me.  It's an ism, and isms are bad.

...and has become an agenda among our elites (academy, scientists, media) for total worldview reprogramming.

We're being attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture!  Keep your hands off my total worldview!

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: June 12 2006,17:40   

total worldview reprogramming.

well, they should know, eh?

ever see the curriculum from WD40's seminary courses?

talk about reprogramming!

Poor Bill seems to have become a victim of his own scheme.

--------------
"And the sea will grant each man new hope..."

-CC

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: June 12 2006,19:32   

From the Ann Coulter thread:

#

Have William and Dave found their Joan of Arc??
:)

Comment by apollo230 — June 12, 2006 @ 8:35 pm

Sorry apollo230, we only burn churches.

Bob

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: June 12 2006,19:48   

Dembski's newest post, entitled "Frank Beckwith Rips PvM (and Brian Leiter) a New One" (wording very close, but not exact -- the post hasn't appeared yet in Wes's Memory Hole) has now been retitled "Frank Beckwith Impales PvM (and Brian Leiter)".  

I guess Dembski had second thoughts about one violent metaphor and decided to replace it with another.

He's been creepier than usual lately.  Perhaps it's due to DaveTard's influence.  Recall Davey's fantasy about  
...the blood and screaming from my fists pounding his [PZ Myers'] face to a pulp...

which appeared beneath a post entitled "PZ Myers Vies with Eric Pianka for Top Psycho Scientist Award."  But for the "Scientist" qualifier, Davey could have won hands down.

What do you suppose the conversation is like when Dembski discusses his unChristian revenge fantasies with his Maker?

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: June 12 2006,20:04   

Dembski admits all:
Moreover, I regard the rhetorical enterprise as unconstrained by Marquess of Queensberry Rules — sometimes one needs to put a bit of pepper on the gloves, a feat Coulter accomplishes nicely. –WmAD

Now file that away for the moment: it's going to come in useful.

WmAD: Load.  Aim.  Fire!

*BANG!*

WmAD: Oooh!  Oooh-ooh-ooh-ooooh!  My foot!

Bob

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Ichthyic

(Permalink) Posted: June 12 2006,20:09   

What do you suppose the conversation is like when Dembski discusses his unChristian revenge fantasies with his Maker?

like this:

(kudos to whoever made this; I've forgotten who it was here who did)

--------------
"And the sea will grant each man new hope..."

-CC

GCT

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2006,03:35   

It seems the new kid on the block at UD believes that revelation is a perfectly legitimate way of doing science...

http://www.uncommondescent.com/index.php/archives/1203#comment-43158

“but if it were then one of the first questions that would have to be addressed is “Who is the designer?”.”

The problem is that this is nearly impossible, though it may be possible to characterize the designer. Meyer, for instance, says that identity is a second-order philosophical question. I don’t know if this is necessarily so, but this is a reasonable statement given the commonly allowed evidence.

What is the name of the designer of Stonehenge? We may be able to characterize the designer from the evidence, but identify the designer wse cannot.

Now, I believe in revelation. So the answer of who the designer is Yahweh. But most scientists do not consider revelation to be a valid form of evidence, so the designer remains unknown. However, I think that revelation is valid within a scientific context, and I defend the idea here:

http://crevobits.blogspot.com/2006....nd.html

If you woulds like to see scientific work done from the perspective that revelation is a valid form of evidence, see here:

http://www.bryancore.org/bsg/opbsg/008.pdf

Comment by johnnyb — June 12, 2006 @ 6:58 am

Where do they find these people?

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2006,04:22   

Correction, Bob O'H

WmAD: Load.  Aim.  Fire!

ID is of course...

Load.. Fire..Aim! :D

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2006,04:48   

Quote (stevestory @ June 12 2006,17:13)

Do you think it coincidence that high living standards and Christianity are found together while low living standards and Islam are found together? I certainly don’t. I’m not much of a Christian myself except in a cultural sense but I’m certainly not blind to the fact that the countries swept by the Protestant Reformation enjoy the highest living standards in the world today while those dominated by Islam, Hindu, and Buddhism have generally the lowest living standards.

Yes, this explains Japan perfectly....

anyway, notice that he switches from 'christian' to 'protestant'. Why didn't he include catholic nations like Mexico? are they not christian? Switching to protestant is telling.

Yes, his silent switch from 'Christian' to 'Protestant' is very telling. It's obvious why he didn't include Catholics -- countries like Mexico, Brazil and the Philippines would trash his theory of wonderful yuppie Christian utopias.

His 'theory' also omits prosperous Eastern Orthodox paradises like Greece, Bulgaria, Serbia, and Russia.

He also fails to mention that the Protestant countries in Europe are rapidly becoming extremely secular/liberal, something you'd think he'd ordinarily denounce...

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2006,05:54   

Where do they find these people?

Dembski drives the bus around looking for the kids in the pro-tec helmets.

Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2006,06:23   

WAD's infatuation with Ann Coulter (the ugliest transvestite I have ever seen) is a laff riot.  I love the latest ann love fest thread on UD.

Miles

--------------
Uncommon Descent is a moral cesspool, a festering intellectual ghetto that intoxicates and degrades its inhabitants - Stephen Matheson

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2006,06:26   

Quote (Mr_Christopher @ June 13 2006,11:23)
WAD's infatuation with Ann Coulter (the ugliest transvestite I have ever seen) is a laff riot.  I love the latest ann love fest thread on UD.

Miles

They both make up crap to sell books. let's be honest:

Uncommon Descent = 'Dembski's book store'

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2006,06:54   

Indeed..

Davescot tells Dembski:

You lucky dawg!

Comment by DaveScot — April 26, 2006

Dave, never mind the EF filter, you need an is this a man? filter.

Filter, step 1. (CLICK ME)

Before that, you might want to filter for if they're even human

Hi, Ann? I have ET on the phone, he wants his wrists back...

Seriously, RM has given her feet for hands.

Good luck with Man Coulter, Davetard. He's single, so are you. Perhaps you're not as pro-bush* as you thought.

*Ooohhh - clever on 2 levels?

--------------

dhogaza

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2006,07:15   

Dumbski finds someone dumber than himself to quote ...
A fundamental problem with the Appellate decision (in Cobb) is that it appears to accept an implicit assumption that “those who endorse evolution” do so because they have made a rational, independent evaluation of the scientific data offered as evidence for its truth.But if, in fact, they endorse evolution because they have chosen to give unquestioning deference to science experts, it may be appropriate to treat their position as simply another religious position, rather than being a position divorced from religion. This may affect the application of the constitutional test, if it appears that the plaintiffs are in effect trying to support their own religious views by suppressing the Sticker. The court should take evidence as to the reasons why, prior to filing the lawsuit, the particular individual plaintiffs “endorsed” evolution, rather than simply presume that their reasons for endorsing evolution were grounded in their science education. Surely plaintiffs who did not experience formal academic instruction in evolution should be questioned as to why they endorsed evolution prior to filing the lawsuit.

Don't they understand that anyone bright enough to replace the word "evolution" with "physics" or "chemistry" will see how insanely stupid this is?

Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2006,07:18   

Quote (Mr_Christopher @ June 13 2006,11:23)

Miles

I think Bill just isn't used to real live (ostensible) girls paying attention to him, much less blond ones, so I think it's just got him all atwitter with excitement.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2006,07:22   

even better:  
The court should take evidence as to the reasons why, prior to filing the lawsuit, the particular individual plaintiffs “endorsed” anti-evolution, rather than simply presume that their reasons for endorsing anti-evolution were grounded in their science education. Surely plaintiffs who did not experience formal academic instruction in anti-evolution should be questioned as to why they endorsed anti-evolution prior to filing the lawsuit.

jeannot

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2006,07:29   

We often reproach IDers for their personal attacks. I'm not sure you should imitate them.

(to Christopher, Richard and Arden).

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2006,07:37   

Quote (jeannot @ June 13 2006,12:29)
We often reproach IDers for their personal attacks. I'm not sure you should imitate them.

(to Christopher, Richard and Arden).

A noble sentiment.

Personally I'm delighted ID is in cahoots with Coulter. I think he probably only appeals to the 'God it Did' crowd and any moderate conservatives will be swtched off.

[tease]She does look like a man though, not that there's anything worng with that. I look like one myself.

Ann, if your reading this - I'm sorry...

that you look a man.[/tease]

--------------

stevestory

(Permalink) Posted: June 13 2006,07:43   

MarkCC argues that CSI is an oxymoron.

MarkCC needs to be invited onto Panda's Thumb.

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 121 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128 129 130 131 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]