RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 846 847 848 849 850 [851] 852 853 854 855 856 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,09:43   

WAD's "ID Predictions confirmed by researchers":

William Dembski

02/14/2008

6:36 pm
Here’s what I had FTE’s PR people pass on to Keith Olbermann’s producer:

—————-

Dear SNIP,

Please pass the following examples of ID’s predictive prowess on to [Keith Olbermann’s producer]:

(1) ID predicts that although there will be occasional degeneration of biological structures (both macroscopic and microscopic), most structures will exhibit function and thus serve a purpose. Thus most organs should not be vestigial, and most DNA should not be “junk DNA.” ID proponents have been saying this from the start, and they are now being vindicated. The human appendix, just in the last months, has been found to serve as a repository of friendly flora to keep the gut healthy. Similarly, seemingly useless “junk” DNA is increasingly being found to serve useful biological functions. For instance, James Shapiro and Richard Sternberg (2005) have provided a comprehensive overview of the functions of repetitive DNA–a classic type of junk DNA. Similarly, Roy Britten (2004) has outlined the functions of mobile genetic elements–another class of sequences long thought to be simply parasitic junk. In this case, ID has made potentially falsifiable predictions and neo-Darwinian theory has shown itself to be a science stopper.

(2) Many systems inside the cell represent nanotechnology at a scale and sophistication that dwarfs human engineering. Moreover, our ability to understand the structure and function of these systems depends directly on our facility with engineering principles (both in developing the instrumentation to study these systems and in analyzing what they do). Engineers have developed these principles by designing systems of their own, albeit much cruder than what we find inside the cell. Many of these cellular systems are literally machines: electro-mechanical machines, information-processing machines, signal-transduction machines, communication and transportation machines, etc. They are not just analogous to humanly built machines but, as mathematicians would say, isomorphic to them, that is, they capture all the essential features of machines. ID predicts that the cell would have such engineering features; by contrast, Darwinian theory has consistently underestimated the sophistication of the machinery inside the cell.

(3) Conservation of information results (also referred to as No Free Lunch theorems, which are well established in the engineering and mathematical literature — see www.EvoInfo.org) indicate that evolution requires an information source that imparts at least as much information to evolutionary processes as these processes in turn are capable of expressing. In consequence, such an information source (i) cannot be reduced to materialistic causes (e.g., natural selection), (ii) suggests that we live in an informationally open universe, and (iii) may reasonably be regarded as intelligent. The conservation of information counts as a positive theoretical reason to accept intelligent design and quantifies the informational hurdles that neo-Darwinian processes must overcome. Moreover, ID theorists have applied these results to actual biological systems to show that they are unevolvable by Darwinian means. ID has always predicted that there will be classes of biological systems for which Darwinian processes fail irremediably, and conservation of information is putting paid to this prediction.

Best wishes,
Bill Dembski

That is the sorriest shit I've ever read from someone who supposedly has 5 freaking degrees.  Isn't one of his degrees something like philosophy of science.  Do they not teach you what a freaking testable theory is in philosophy of science classes?  Do they not teach you what a freaking prediction is?

The real laff howler is the RE-tard cultists at UD don't even know Demsbki is blowing smoke up their asses on these predictions.

UD is nothing but a room full of dumb asses.  Well and a handful of covert operatives ;-)

Anyhow, kudos for finally getting William Dembski, PhD to publicly demonstrate intelligent design creationism has not a single prediction.  Maybe that's because before you can make an idc prediction you need an idc theory ;-)

What dunces.

--------------
Uncommon Descent is a moral cesspool, a festering intellectual ghetto that intoxicates and degrades its inhabitants - Stephen Matheson

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,09:54   

UD is nothing but a room full of dumb asses.  Well and a handful of covert operatives ;-)

ahh but which is which?  i would hate to know.  ruin all of the fun and what-all.

From the tard:
3) Conservation of information results (also referred to as No Free Lunch theorems, which are well established in the engineering and mathematical literature — see www.EvoInfo.org) indicate that evolution requires an information source that imparts at least as much information to evolutionary processes as these processes in turn are capable of expressing

Now, what could that information source possibly be?  Particularly if we have found a quantitative metric for information*, as he claims, then Dembski is even wronger than ever before.  Wes beat him on this one years ago.

*Of course, there is no such thing.  At least not one that has any biological meaning or utility**, any different from counting the set of:  measurements of mean chest hair length in 4 square centimeter patches on both Burt Reynolds and Loni Anderson, the number of threads on a four-inch pvc pipe underneath the Pope's toilet, the mass (in nanograms) of moondust in your average field of potatoes, and the total content of posts on OE and UD.

Enter non-positivist disclaimer about what we don't know***.

*** That still doesn't mean that up is down****.

**** Louis your gai.  Damn your ass-tore-risks.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,10:15   

We can - and should - email about this to:

KOlbermann@msnbc.com

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,10:21   

Quote (J-Dog @ Feb. 15 2008,10:15)
We can - and should - email about this to:

KOlbermann@msnbc.com

This is a Job for SUPER WES

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,10:25   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Feb. 15 2008,08:01)
WHILST IT IS PROBABLY POSSIBLY A LANGUAGE IT LOOKS MADE UP DUE TO ITS VERY POOR CSI CONENT. ALSO, THIS NATION MIGHT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MOOMINS, WHICH SCARE THE CRAP OUTTA ME.*

*MOOMINS, IF YOUR READING: I HAS DOG. I HAS CHAINSORES. I HAS GUNS.

Salvador, on the other hand, loves Moomins because they believe in the Fludd, just like him.

P.S. Rich -- Your tardalogues are masterful, but you let your accent show on this one.  No self-respecting redneck Texan would say "whilst", except when mocking a whingeing Pom.

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,10:27   

Quote (keiths @ Feb. 15 2008,10:25)
Quote (Richardthughes @ Feb. 15 2008,08:01)
WHILST IT IS PROBABLY POSSIBLY A LANGUAGE IT LOOKS MADE UP DUE TO ITS VERY POOR CSI CONENT. ALSO, THIS NATION MIGHT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MOOMINS, WHICH SCARE THE CRAP OUTTA ME.*

*MOOMINS, IF YOUR READING: I HAS DOG. I HAS CHAINSORES. I HAS GUNS.

Salvador, on the other hand, loves Moomins because they believe in the Fludd, just like him.

P.S. Rich -- Your tardalogues are masterful, but you let your accent show on this one.  No self-respecting redneck Texan would say "whilst", except when mocking a whingeing Pom.

CHAINSORES makes up for it though.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,10:34   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Feb. 15 2008,10:27)
CHAINSORES makes up for it though.

Can't argue with that.

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,10:36   

Quote (Mr_Christopher @ Feb. 15 2008,08:43)

William Dembski

02/14/2008

—————-

Dear SNIP,

Please pass the following examples of ID’s predictive prowess on to [Keith Olbermann’s producer]:

(1) ID predicts that although there will be occasional degeneration of biological structures (both macroscopic and microscopic), most structures will exhibit function and thus serve a purpose. Thus most organs should not be vestigial, and most DNA should not be “junk DNA.” ID proponents have been saying this from the start, and they are now being vindicated. The human appendix, just in the last months, has been found to serve as a repository of friendly flora to keep the gut healthy. Similarly, seemingly useless “junk” DNA is increasingly being found to serve useful biological functions. For instance, James Shapiro and Richard Sternberg (2005) have provided a comprehensive overview of the functions of repetitive DNA–a classic type of junk DNA. Similarly, Roy Britten (2004) has outlined the functions of mobile genetic elements–another class of sequences long thought to be simply parasitic junk. In this case, ID has made potentially falsifiable predictions and neo-Darwinian theory has shown itself to be a science stopper.

(2) Many systems inside the cell represent nanotechnology at a scale and sophistication that dwarfs human engineering. Moreover, our ability to understand the structure and function of these systems depends directly on our facility with engineering principles (both in developing the instrumentation to study these systems and in analyzing what they do). Engineers have developed these principles by designing systems of their own, albeit much cruder than what we find inside the cell. Many of these cellular systems are literally machines: electro-mechanical machines, information-processing machines, signal-transduction machines, communication and transportation machines, etc. They are not just analogous to humanly built machines but, as mathematicians would say, isomorphic to them, that is, they capture all the essential features of machines. ID predicts that the cell would have such engineering features; by contrast, Darwinian theory has consistently underestimated the sophistication of the machinery inside the cell.

(3) Conservation of information results (also referred to as No Free Lunch theorems, which are well established in the engineering and mathematical literature — see www.EvoInfo.org) indicate that evolution requires an information source that imparts at least as much information to evolutionary processes as these processes in turn are capable of expressing. In consequence, such an information source (i) cannot be reduced to materialistic causes (e.g., natural selection), (ii) suggests that we live in an informationally open universe, and (iii) may reasonably be regarded as intelligent. The conservation of information counts as a positive theoretical reason to accept intelligent design and quantifies the informational hurdles that neo-Darwinian processes must overcome. Moreover, ID theorists have applied these results to actual biological systems to show that they are unevolvable by Darwinian means. ID has always predicted that there will be classes of biological systems for which Darwinian processes fail irremediably, and conservation of information is putting paid to this prediction.

Best wishes,
Bill Dembski

That is the sorriest shit I've ever read from someone who supposedly has 5 freaking degrees.  Isn't one of his degrees something like philosophy of science.  Do they not teach you what a freaking testable theory is in philosophy of science classes?  Do they not teach you what a freaking prediction is?

The real laff howler is the RE-tard cultists at UD don't even know Demsbki is blowing smoke up their asses on these predictions.

Anyhow, kudos for finally getting William Dembski, PhD to publicly demonstrate intelligent design creationism has not a single prediction.  Maybe that's because before you can make an idc prediction you need an idc theory ;-)

What dunces.

I can’t believe Dembster forgot the SUN- Bigger than any nuclear reactor on earth, plus it cans have fusion, therefore DESIGN. Vainglory. Plus his mom is or was an art gallery owner. Dembski has lots of experience opening crates. ID is going to conquer the art world too, you know.

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,10:42   

Quote (keiths @ Feb. 15 2008,10:25)

Not that it means anything, but Dave is about as much a Texan as I am an Okie.  We are both likely considered carpetbaggers as we both hail from Upstate New York. Bless our hearts!

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,11:27   

DT waves his hands frantically, hoping to distract us from his behavior in mutating the link to PTET's blog documenting his true feelings about O'Bleary.  
Guilty as charged. I changed that one letter - a k to an h to make it difficult to see at a casual glance. But let’s look at how my design was detected.

We all know that bits can flip at random in computer data from various causes just like they can flip at random in DNA from various causes. This wasn’t a complex mutation. A single letter changed. Yet the Darwinist STILL made a design inference. That’s the power of specification. The mutation that occured (sic) was specified in that it served a purpose. In this case it served to make the offensive article inaccessable (sic) from Uncommon Descent. Even with a very small level of complexity to work with the commenter successfully employed the concept of CSI - complex specified information - and reached a correct design inference.

ID theory works! Even for Darwinists who hypocritically employ it without admitting it.

Of course he neglects to mention that knowledge of the motives of the designer was quite helpful in this instance of design detection. When you know that the designer (DT) has a history of behaving  badly, it's pretty easy to detect his fingerprints in this case...

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

PTET

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,11:28   

A Darwinist Successfully Employs Design Detection!
DaveScot

In the thread I deleted “A Sterling Example of Anti-Religionists” one of the commenters noted that the URL linking to the offensive article had undergone a point mutation. One letter in it changed that made the link go somewhere else. He implied that this didn’t happen at random and that someone purposely changed it.

Guilty as charged. I changed that one letter - a k to an h to make it difficult to see at a casual glance. But let’s look at how my design was detected.

We all know that bits can flip at random in computer data from various causes just like they can flip at random in DNA from various causes. This wasn’t a complex mutation. A single letter changed. Yet the Darwinist STILL made a design inference. That’s the power of specification. The mutation that occured was specified in that it served a purpose. In this case it served to make the offensive article inaccessable from Uncommon Descent. Even with a very small level of complexity to work with the commenter successfully employed the concept of CSI - complex specified information - and reached a correct design inference.

ID theory works! Even for Darwinists who hypocritically employ it without admitting it.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this argument? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I can't wait to see the tard that comes from the UD supporters on this post.

Countdown to the next meltdown... 10...

--------------
"It’s not worth the effort to prove the obvious. Ridiculous ideas don’t deserve our time.
Even the attempt to formulate ID is a generous accommodation." - ScottAndrews

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,11:30   

Quote (PTET @ Feb. 15 2008,11:28)
DaveScot

In the thread I deleted “A Sterling Example of Anti-Religionists” one of the commenters noted that the URL linking to the offensive article had undergone a point mutation. One letter in it changed that made the link go somewhere else. He implied that this didn’t happen at random and that someone purposely changed it.

We all know that bits can flip at random in computer data from various causes just like they can flip at random in DNA from various causes. This wasn’t a complex mutation. A single letter changed. Yet the Darwinist STILL made a design inference. That’s the power of specification. The mutation that occured was specified in that it served a purpose. In this case it served to make the offensive article inaccessable from Uncommon Descent. Even with a very small level of complexity to work with the commenter successfully employed the concept of CSI - complex specified information - and reached a correct design inference.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this argument? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Yes - Davescot has a history of being a disingenuous revisionist prick.

It was a Tard inference, because we know the entity *very* well.

--------------

Annyday

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,11:35   

His analogy would work a lot better if computers could reproduce, or if they at least flipped bits at random with greater frequency than Dave censors things. Bonus points for imagining a pair of computer towers having sex.

--------------
"ALL eight of the "nature" miracles of Jesus could have been accomplished via the electroweak quantum tunneling mechanism. For example, walking on water could be accomplished by directing a neutrino beam created just below Jesus' feet downward." - Frank Tipler, ISCID fellow

PTET

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,11:45   

leo stotch
02/15/2008
12:29 pm

Plus it shows that mutations only can lead to a loss of information.

First comment.

I hope he's taking the piss. The changed letter could have led the tinyurl to a frikkin' Encyclopedia...

--------------
"It’s not worth the effort to prove the obvious. Ridiculous ideas don’t deserve our time.
Even the attempt to formulate ID is a generous accommodation." - ScottAndrews

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,11:52   

i'm pretty sure that leo is one of us.  no design inference just a hunch.  wait is there a difference?  of course there is.  let me rephrase this:  I need leo stotch to be one of us or else there is no right and wrong.  OK Now design inference, I haz it.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

olegt

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,11:54   

My sock puppet skram left the following comment on that thread:
Dave, in this case I made the inference because I knew the properties of the designer.  I can specify which ones upon further request.  

It might appear later but I'm not holding my breath.

ETA: And by the way, the thread with the mutation, which was already closed to new comments, has disappeared.  Like, totally.

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

Albatrossity2

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,12:04   

Quote (PTET @ Feb. 15 2008,11:45)
leo stotch
02/15/2008
12:29 pm

Plus it shows that mutations only can lead to a loss of information.

First comment.

I hope he's taking the piss. The changed letter could have led the tinyurl to a frikkin' Encyclopedia...

Indeed. Changing it from 2utukc to 2ufukc would get him this  
URL Terminated

The TinyURL (2ufukc) you visited was used by its creator in violation of our terms of use. TinyURL has a strict no abuse policy and we apologize for the intrusion this user has caused you. Such violations of our terms of use include:

* Spam - Unsolicited Bulk E-mail
   * Fraud or Money Making scams
   * Malware
   * or any other use that is illegal.

--------------
Flesh of the sky, child of the sky, the mind
Has been obligated from the beginning
To create an ordered universe
As the only possible proof of its own inheritance.
                        - Pattiann Rogers

Mister DNA

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,12:06   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Feb. 15 2008,11:52)
i'm pretty sure that leo is one of us.  no design inference just a hunch.  wait is there a difference?  of course there is.  let me rephrase this:  I need leo stotch to be one of us or else there is no right and wrong.  OK Now design inference, I haz it.

Yeah, wasn't Leo Stotch responsible for the "at least until we know Denyse's middle name" gag?

If he's not one of us, it's only because he hasn't found us yet.

--------------
CBEB's: The Church Burnin' Ebola Blog
Thank you, Dr. Dembski. You are without peer when it comes to The Argument Regarding Design. - vesf

guthrie

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,12:27   

Quote (Mr_Christopher @ Feb. 15 2008,09:43)

William Dembski

02/14/2008

—————-

Dear SNIP,

{snip}
Best wishes,
Bill Dembski

What dunces.

I nominate Dembski for the award for lifetime achievement in acting like a Creationist in order to make them look stupid.

Mister DNA

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,12:31   

A question for the group: Has this not been one of THE best UD weeks, ever?

If not THE best, it's gotta be in the top 5 all-time greatest moments in Tard. And the best thing about it is...

... they'll eventually do something to make this week pale in comparison.

--------------
Thank you, Dr. Dembski. You are without peer when it comes to The Argument Regarding Design. - vesf

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,13:12   

Quote (Mister DNA @ Feb. 15 2008,10:31)

If not THE best, it's gotta be in the top 5 all-time greatest moments in Tard. And the best thing about it is...

Agreed.  Just like the Biologic Institute, I've got no work done this week.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

Mister DNA

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,13:31   

Just a reminder, UD Watchers... don't slack up. Something big might happen today. I had just about given up, but I just received word that they're gonna try to make it happen.

Sorry to be cryptic... PM me for details.

--------------

Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,13:34   

Quote (Mister DNA @ Feb. 15 2008,12:31)

The best week for sure, at least in my book.  I wonder if Darwin day brought it all on?  Maybe it was just too much for them.

Yeah this has been a real doozy of a week for the UD cult. They're all just jumping over one another to get to wear the "I'm an IDiot, kick me!" sign.

I love it so!

--------------
Uncommon Descent is a moral cesspool, a festering intellectual ghetto that intoxicates and degrades its inhabitants - Stephen Matheson

Mister DNA

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,13:47   

Alas, it's not meant to be.

I just got an email from someone at the Observer saying that while he was definitely down with it, the boss wasn't.

Sorry, I wish I could help you more effectively--I agree, these guys are total apes. Maybe one day they'll evolve...

Had the plan gone through, this is the image that would have replaced the photo of Richard Dawkins on Uncommon Descent:

--------------

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,14:15   

Quote (Mister DNA @ Feb. 15 2008,13:47)
Alas, it's not meant to be.

I just got an email from someone at the Observer saying that while he was definitely down with it, the boss wasn't.

Sorry, I wish I could help you more effectively--I agree, these guys are total apes. Maybe one day they'll evolve...

Had the plan gone through, this is the image that would have replaced the photo of Richard Dawkins on Uncommon Descent:

Well, it is still a damn good week.

Yes, it would have been funny.  Even funnier if you could have gotten one of the new Darwinista Big Science Fly-On-The-Wall ™ inside Dembski's broom closet office  when he chanced to have it revealed to him, in all it's glory!

Priceless.

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,14:56   

In all the excitement yesterday, this slipped right by us...
but not by Barret Brown, author of Flock Of Dodos.

Headline is:

The Second Law of Thermodynamics and You!

The post is on Daily KOS:

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/2/14/113153/931/1000/456660

Cliff Notes:  Spanks dlh and UD!

--------------

Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,15:01   

Quote (PTET @ Feb. 15 2008,10:28)

DaveScot

That, since we humans, having only human design as an analogy for their “design,” are good at eyeballing human design, especially in this case, which is definitely human design, DaveScot’s analogy circles back on itself to reveal that, in fact, “intelligent design” is just another instance of human design?

What do I win? A snowflake?  :p

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,16:18   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Feb. 14 2008,19:27)
Some Tard is already blaming the new tragic shootings in Chicago on Darwin:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....-172116

PannenbergOmega

02/14/2008

8:20 pm
I am sad to report that there has been another school schooting. This time in northern Illinois.

I can’t help but think, that this is a symptom of our secular-nihilistic culture. Where Darwinian theory had undervalued human life.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/.....index.html

PannenbergOmega

02/14/2008

8:21 pm
So when all you Darwinist Atheist types extol the virtues of non belief in God and attack Christians for outdated morality.

I guess you can see where this leads to tragically

It could be a Christian, we don't know yet...

Just in..

"co-authoring a manuscript on the role of religion in the formation of early prisons in the United States."

--------------

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,17:30   

IDISTS MAKE UP AWARD FOR EXPELLED:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/evoluti....release

15 February 2008
Ben Stein Wins Johnson Award for EXPELLED — press release
William Dembski
La Mirada, Calif. — Ben Stein, known for his lead role in the film Ferris Bueller’s Day Off and his Comedy Central show Win Ben Stein’s Money, believes in liberty and truth. In recognition of this, Biola University’s masters in science and religion program will present him with the 2008 Phillip E. Johnson Award for Liberty and Truth on March 27, a month before the release of his major controversial motion picture, Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed.

Phillip E. Johnson Award for Liberty and Truth? Is that like the Iraqi information ministry award for accurate reporting?

--------------

Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 15 2008,18:37   

It's a Biola award.

More on them...

Doctrinal Statement
Inasmuch as the University is interdenominational and yet theologically conservative, the Articles of Incorporation contain the doctrinal statement given below:

The Bible, consisting of all the books of the Old and New Testaments, is the Word of God, a supernaturally given revelation from God Himself, concerning Himself, His being, nature, character, will and purposes; and concerning man, his nature, need and duty and destiny. The Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are without error or misstatement in their moral and spiritual teaching and record of historical facts. They are without error or defect of any kind.

There is one God, eternally existing and manifesting Himself to us in three Persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Our Lord Jesus was supernaturally conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of a virgin Mary, a lineal descendant of David. He lived and taught and wrought mighty works and wonders and signs exactly as is recorded in the four Gospels. He was put to death by crucifixion under Pontius Pilate. God raised from the dead the body that had been nailed to the cross. The Lord Jesus after His crucifixion showed Himself to be alive to His disciples, appearing unto them by the space of 40 days. After this, the Lord Jesus ascended into heaven, and the Father caused Him to sit at His right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come, and put all things in subjection under His feet, and gave Him to be Head over all things to the Church.

The Lord Jesus, before His incarnation, existed in the form of God and of His own choice laid aside His divine glory and took upon Himself the form of a servant and was made in the likeness of men. In His pre-existent state, He was with God and was God. He is a divine person possessed of all the attributes of Deity, and should be worshiped as God by angels and man. "In Him dwelleth all the fullness of the Godhead bodily." All the words that He spoke during His earthly life were the words of God. There is absolutely no error of any kind in them, and by the words of Jesus Christ the words of all other teachers must be tested.

The Lord Jesus became in every respect a real man, possessed of all the essential characteristics of human nature.

By His death on the cross, the Lord Jesus made a perfect atonement for sin, by which the wrath of God against sinners is appeased and a ground furnished upon which God can deal in mercy with sinners. He redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse in our place. He who Himself was absolutely without sin was made to be sin on our behalf that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. The Lord Jesus is coming again to his earth, personally, bodily, and visibly. The return of our Lord is the blessed hope of the believer, and in it God's purposes of grace toward mankind will find their consummation.

The Holy Spirit is a person, and is possessed of all the distinctively divine attributes. He is God.

Man was created in the image of God, after His likeness, but the whole human race fell in the fall of the first Adam. All men, until they accept the Lord Jesus as their personal Savior, are lost, darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, hardened in heart, morally and spiritually dead through their trespasses and sins. They cannot see, nor enter the Kingdom of God until they are born again of the Holy Spirit.

Men are justified on the simple and single ground of the shed blood of Christ and upon the simple and single condition of faith in Him who shed the blood, and are born again by the quickening, renewing, cleansing work of the Holy Spirit, through the instrumentality of the Word of God.

All those who receive Jesus Christ as their Savior and their Lord, and who confess Him as such before their fellow men, become children of God and receive eternal life. They become heirs of God and joint-heirs with Jesus Christ. At death their spirits depart to be with Christ in conscious blessedness, and at the Second Coming of Christ their bodies shall be raised and transformed into the likeness of the body of His glory.

All those who persistently reject Jesus Christ in the present life shall be raised from the dead and throughout eternity exist in the state of conscious, unutterable, endless torment of anguish.

The Church consists of all those who, in this present dispensation, truly believe in Jesus Christ. It is the body and bride of Christ, which Christ loves and for which He has given Himself.

There is a personal devil, a being of great cunning and power: "The prince of the power of the air," "The prince of this world," "The god of this age." He can exert vast power only so far as God suffers him to do so. He shall ultimately be cast into the lake of fire and brimstone and shall be tormented day and night forever.

Explanatory Note
This doctrinal statement, presented here as originally conceived by the founders of the organization, has been and continues to be the stated theological position of Biola University. Where “man” is used, referring to the human race, it includes both genders. In addition, the following explanatory notes indicate the organization’s understanding and teaching position on certain points which could be subject to various interpretations:

In fulfillment of God’s historical purpose for humanity to rule and establish God’s kingdom on earth (Gen. 1:28; Ps. 8:4-8; Matt. 6:10 Heb. 2:6-9), the Scriptures teach a millennial reign of Christ with his saints on earth following his literal return. The nation of Israel, having been redeemed, will play a central role in bringing the blessings of salvation to all nations during the millennium in fulfillment of biblical prophecies (e.g., Is. 2:1-4, 11:1-12; Jer. 23:5-6; Ezek. 37; Amos 9:9-15; Zech. 14; Matt. 19:28; Acts 1:6, 3:19-21; Rev. 20:4-7). Following the millennium, this kingdom will be merged into the eternal kingdom (I Cor. 15:22-28).

Before these millennial events, the believers will be caught up to meet the Lord in the air (I Thess. 4:13-17). The time of this “rapture” is unknown, and thus believers are to live constantly watchful and ready.

The existence and nature of the creation is due to the direct miraculous power of God. The origin of the universe, the origin of life, the origin of kinds of living things, and the origin of humans cannot be explained adequately apart from reference to that intelligent exercise of power. A proper understanding of science does not require that all phenomena in nature must be explained solely by reference to physical events, laws and chance.

Therefore, creation models which seek to harmonize science and the Bible should maintain at least the following: (a) God providentially directs His creation, (b) He specially intervened in at least the above-mentioned points in the creation process, and © God specially created Adam and Eve (Adam’s body from non-living material, and his spiritual nature immediately from God). Inadequate origin models hold that (a) God never directly intervened in creating nature and/or (b) humans share a common physical ancestry with earlier life forms.

Though there may be many fillings of the Holy Spirit, there is only one baptism which occurs at the time of regeneration. The gifts of the Spirit are given to believers according to the Will of God for the purpose of building up the Church. During the foundational era of the Church (i.e., the time of Christ and the Apostles) God gave special manifestations of the overtly supernatural and miraculous gifts (e.g., tongues, healings, miracles) as “signs” that witness to the validity of those bearing new canonical revelation (c.f. 2 Cor. 12:12; Heb. 2:3-4). Beyond the foundational era, God in His sovereignty may grant any spiritual gift and work miraculously for the benefit of His Church at any time.

The Bible is clear in its teaching on the sanctity of human life. Life begins at conception. We abhor the destruction of innocent life through abortion-on-demand.

--------------

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 846 847 848 849 850 [851] 852 853 854 855 856 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]