RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 849 850 851 852 853 [854] 855 856 857 858 859 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Mister DNA

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 18 2008,18:02   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Feb. 18 2008,17:49)

Quote (Mr_Christopher @ Feb. 18 2008,17:28)
I went over to UD again and all I got was this little snippet from WAD himself...

William Dembski

02/18/2008

6:12 pm
Thanks ChuckHumphry, but the point is not for the ID movement to become a mutual admiration society, but rather to recognize people from outside who are putting their neck on the chopping block to advance ID.

Yawn....

Ie not the good Dr. Dr. Dr. "can I get a witness?" Dembski himself...

Since it's impossible to recognize anyone for doing any science to advance ID, they have to recognize the ones who are wearing the "KICK ME" sign for the cause of creationism Intelligent Design.

edited: because I had to...

--------------
CBEB's: The Church Burnin' Ebola Blog
Thank you, Dr. Dembski. You are without peer when it comes to The Argument Regarding Design. - vesf

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 18 2008,22:31   

It's been so quite over in the tard mine.
Did they finally close UD?

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2008,01:21   

Quote (sparc @ Feb. 18 2008,22:31)
It's been so quiet over in the tard mine.
Did they finally close UD?

They're off celebrating evolution's Waterloo.

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number. -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2008,03:10   

Jerry says
The real question is why does anything exist? And why does it exist with such exquisite precision. To suggest this is an accident is something that boggles the mind.

Whatever universe Jerry finds himself in it would "exist with exquisite precision" and thus prove ID.
Tard
He goes on to say
No one is suggesting that further exploration is out of the question but to a priori exclude an intelligent cause is a folly and the only reason is to stack the decks into one possible improbable explanation.

So, just out of interest, what is the mechanism that's used to exclude intelligent causes when doing science?

"Hey Joe, I've found some evidence that this protein was created by god"

"Well, suppress it for petes sake, you know what that atheistic darwinist conspiracy is like"

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2008,07:02   

Id.nut quotes Michael Ruse:

Suppose it is true - that if you are a Darwinian, then you cannot be a Christian. How then does one answer the creationist who objects to the teaching of Darwinism in schools? If theism cannot be taught in schools (in America) because it violates the separation of church and state, why then should Darwinism be permitted? Perhaps, given the U.S. Constitution, the creationists are right and Darwinism should be excluded.

I like Michael Ruse, but this argument is obviously wrong.

Suppose it is true - that if you grasp modern cosmology, then you cannot take Genesis literally. How then does one answer the creationist who objects to the teaching of cosmology in schools? If Genesis can't be taught in schools (in America) then why should physics and astronomy be permitted? Perhaps, given the U.S. Constitution, the creationists are right and cosmology should be excluded.

How about: cosmology generates its conclusions by scientific means and is not religious in nature, and therefore should be taught in science classes - unlike the assertions of some religions, which as religious assertions should not. The fact that cosmology gravely contradicts these religious assertions is incidental to the constitutional exclusion of religious advocacy from public education.

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

Hermagoras

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2008,07:02   

I went over to UD again and all I got was this little snippet from WAD himself...

William Dembski

02/18/2008

Thanks ChuckHumphry, but the point is not for the ID movement to become a mutual admiration society, but rather to recognize people from outside who are putting their neck on the chopping block to advance ID.

Yawn....

Hey!  "getawitness" was my old sock puppet.  Don't lump him in with Dr. Dr.

--------------
"I am not currently proving that objective morality is true. I did that a long time ago and you missed it." -- StephenB

http://paralepsis.blogspot.com/....pot.com

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2008,07:47   

O'Dreary has disproved evolution and confirmed Noah's Ark existed. Or something!

What should scientists do when they encounter evidence of the history of life that does not fit their expectations?

Oddly she does not ask why "intelligent design scientists" have failed to encounter any evidence at all for anything whatsoever.
O'Dreary goes on

Walcott found more and more fossils. He shipped over sixty thousand back to the Smithsonian. He had found the equivalent of Noah's Ark. He found every animal phylum, or - as Schroeder puts it - the "basic anatomies" of all animal life forms today.

Cause for rejoicing? No, because there was a problem. The problem was that the find obviously did not support Darwin's theory of evolution:

Well, Denise, now that you've found evidence against Darwin's theory you've won, right? Or is this "evidence" not really anything of the sort?

So the reigning theory was probably false.  Walcott, remember, was the director of the Smithsonian Institution. And he had just discovered something very inconvenient for the Institution. So what did he do?

"probably" false? I thought you'd just disproved it O'Dreary? What's with the probably?
So what did Walcott do?

Well, he mentioned his spectacular find in Smithsonian Miscellaneous Collections, a publication read by few people. And then he put them in drawers and left them there. They did not receive the attention they deserved for eighty years.

He published and filed them?

Many people have tried to understand and explain why Walcott ignored the significance of his Cambrian fossils, but the most likely reason is that the fossils were not what he had expected to see. He ignored them in order to preserve a belief system.

The word "ignored" is linked to this page
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/cambrian/burgess.html
Where not a word is said about trying to understand why Walcott "ignored" his own finds (as opposed to preserving and publishing them). That page however does say

Since its discovery in 1909, the Burgess Shale has become the authoritative picture of life in the Cambrian Period. No longer solely relying on the remnants of hard shells or exoskeletons, we now have a much better and richer picture of early animal communities. The sediment flow fossilization of the Burgess Shale has produced unique dark stained fossils that reveal the countless variety of soft bodied organisms. Soft-bodied organisms are now know to have existed in greater number and variety than those Cambrian organisms exhibiting hard parts. Additionally, quarries of the Burgess Shale contain evidence of the existence of our chordate ancestors, with fossils so finely preserved that they display traces of a notochord. Most importantly, the Burgess Shale tells of the Cambrian explosion, a huge radiation of marine animal life that included sponges, soft bodied arthropods and those with hard exoskeletons, the first chordates, worms, and trilobites, as well as the strange spiked creatures such as Wiwaxia, and the large predator Anomalocaris. The Burgess Shale represents a snapshot of the evolution of a marine biota that would come to dominate the world's oceans for the next 300 million years.

And yet this somehow supports ID?
I can only conclude (again) that O'Dreary is hard of understanding.
http://www.uncommondescent.com/the-des....plosion

Message to UD: Any chance of any ID news, rather then attempts to pick holes in "darwinism"? No? Oh well.

--------------
I also mentioned that He'd have to give me a thorough explanation as to *why* I must "eat human babies".
FTK

if there are even critical flaws in Gauger’s work, the evo mat narrative cannot stand
Gordon Mullings

oldmanintheskydidntdoit

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2008,07:50   

DaveScot:
If you can’t prove or disprove the design hypothesis then it follows you can’t prove or disprove the non-design hypothesis. Thus ID and MET are equally pseudo-scientific. Objectivity (no double standards) would then compel us to reject both. In other words, you can’t have your cake and eat it too.

Breaking news: Davescot says ID is pseudo-science. Welcome to the real world DaveScot!

Can you have your cheesy-poofs and eat them too DS?
Tard

--------------
FTK

Gordon Mullings

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2008,10:43   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Feb. 19 2008,07:50)
DaveScot:

If you can’t prove or disprove the design hypothesis then it follows you can’t prove or disprove the non-design hypothesis. Thus ID and MET are equally pseudo-scientific. Objectivity (no double standards) would then compel us to reject both. In other words, you can’t have your cake and eat it too.

Breaking news: Davescot says ID is pseudo-science. Welcome to the real world DaveScot!

Tard

That whole cake thing. Wouldn't eat your cake and have it be better? That would be harder.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2008,10:43   

Quote (Hermagoras @ Feb. 19 2008,07:02)

William Dembski

02/18/2008

Yawn....

Hey!  "getawitness" was my old sock puppet.  Don't lump him in with Dr. Dr.

T'was refering to his no-show and the courthouse.

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2008,11:00   

Tardhead, revisited:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....tection

Guilty as charged. I changed that one letter - a k to an h to make it difficult to see at a casual glance. But let’s look at how my design was detected.

We all know that bits can flip at random in computer data from various causes just like they can flip at random in DNA from various causes. This wasn’t a complex mutation. A single letter changed...

Letter ASCII Binary
---k--- -107- 1101011
---h--- -104- 1101000

So that'd be two bits that changed...

also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checksum

editation to fix bad countings.

--------------

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2008,11:25   

According to a review of EXPELLED by Tom Bethel that  PZ links to Dembski finally made it into EXPELLED:  
We are introduced to the leading expellees, including Caroline Crocker (from George Mason University), Rick Sternberg (from the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History), Guillermo Gonzalez (Iowa State), and William Dembski (Baylor).
I've been asking for this months ago.

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2008,12:39   

Too funny.  It's UD "science" in Arabic.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Tracy P. Hamilton

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2008,13:14   

Denyse:

Charles Walcott, secretary  of the Smithsonian, had found the equivalent of Noah’s Ark. He found every animal phylum, or - as physicist Gerald Schroeder puts it - the “basic anatomies” of all animal life forms today.

Could someone who knows all the rules tell me which animal phyla are clean and which or unclean?  I am trying to calculate how much room Noah's Ark would need, and need to use seven for clean phyla, and two for unclean phyla.  Of course, that means a bit of microevolution since Noah's Ark, but hey, they are still phyla!  :p

--------------
"Following what I just wrote about fitness, you’re taking refuge in what we see in the world."  PaV

"The simple equation F = MA leads to the concept of four-dimensional space." GilDodgen

"We have no brain, I don't, for thinking." Robert Byers

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2008,13:22   

No, no, Tracy, it's only the equivalent of Noah's Ark.  It's probably Utnapishtim's Ark.

Anyway, the geggies in the Burgess Shales were all smaller, so it would be easier to fit them all in.  No doubt the raven is metaphorical.

Bob

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2008,13:30   

Without mentioning any names, I'll just comment that I'm amused that there's an obvious sockpuppet at UD, and they haven't noticed yet.

Well, OK, there's actually several sockpuppets there. "Denyse O'Leary" is really Barbara Forrest taking the piss.

Bob

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

REC

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2008,13:37   

Anyone follow O'Leary's link to the 'file drawer' effect paper?
File Drawer Effect

The Society for Scientific Exploration is endlessly entertaining.....
Some of their 'peer reviewed' publications:

What Biophoton Images of Plants Can Tell Us about Biofields and Healing by Katherine Creath and Gary E. Schwarz

Some Bodily Malformations Attributed to Previous Lives
Satwant K. Pasricha, Jurgen Keil, Jim B. Tucker, Ian Stevenson

Testing a Language-Using Parrot for Telepathy
Rupert Sheldrake and Aimee Morgana

The Case for the Loch Ness "Monster": The Scientific Evidence
Henry H. Bauer

Abstracts

I can't get the early scenes from 'Ghostbusters' out of my mind.  At least we know what passes as science means for the UDers, and what overturning 'Big Science' would bring.....

PTET

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2008,14:50   

alan
02/19/2008
3:21 pm

The difference between the Christian Faith and others is it is 99% belief on what is rather than what is man-generated philosophy. The 1% seems like 99% in light of our fallen nature and dependancy on our Originator - don’t you think?

But of course.

--------------
"It’s not worth the effort to prove the obvious. Ridiculous ideas don’t deserve our time.
Even the attempt to formulate ID is a generous accommodation." - ScottAndrews

Mister DNA

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2008,15:11   

Is bFast a sockpuppet?
The big tent holds much more than the YECers. It also holds those who are not Judeo-Christians. I like the big tent as it is, if only because without it we’ld have to kick out Salvador Cordova. That would be a pitty. Hey, what do you do with those who are seriously open to the possibility of a young or old earth? Are they big enough to enjoy the big tent?

There is some awesome Tard in that thread.

--------------
Thank you, Dr. Dembski. You are without peer when it comes to The Argument Regarding Design. - vesf

Doc Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2008,15:32   

Letter ASCII Binary
---k--- -107- 1101011
---h--- -104- 1101000

Aw, come on!   He was only off by a little bit!

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2008,16:15   

Quote (Doc Bill @ Feb. 19 2008,15:32)
Letter ASCII Binary
---k--- -107- 1101011
---h--- -104- 1101000

[FtK] Byte me [/FtK]

--------------

Henry J

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2008,16:27   

Quote (Doc Bill @ Feb. 19 2008,14:32)

Well sure, but that little bit was a fourth of a nibble!!!1!!

JohnW

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2008,16:33   

Quote (Mister DNA @ Feb. 19 2008,13:11)
There is some awesome Tard in that thread.

There certainly is.  UD hasn't hit the peaks of last week yet, but it's only Tuesday.

Atom:
I’m with bFast. I like the tent as it is: Muslims, YECs, Agnostics, Deists, and whoever else can help with research into design in the universe.

Atom mistakenly posted his first draft.  This should, of course, read
I’m with bFast. I like the tent as it is: Muslimsfundies, YECsfundies, Agnosticsfundies, Deistsfundies, and whoever else can help with research into design in the universe political fellow-travellers, and the insane.  Oh, and a busload of trolls and sockpuppets.

--------------
Math is just a language of reality. Its a waste of time to know it. - Robert Byers

There isn't any probability that the letter d is in the word "mathematics"...  The correct answer would be "not even 0" - JoeG

Annyday

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2008,16:50   

I like how atheists aren't in that grouping.

--------------
"ALL eight of the "nature" miracles of Jesus could have been accomplished via the electroweak quantum tunneling mechanism. For example, walking on water could be accomplished by directing a neutrino beam created just below Jesus' feet downward." - Frank Tipler, ISCID fellow

steve_h

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2008,17:06   

Quote (Henry J @ Feb. 19 2008,22:27)

Quote (Doc Bill @ Feb. 19 2008,14:32)

Well sure, but that little bit was a fourth of a nibble!!!1!!

Actually, he said one letter had changed, not one bit.

However, a two-bit change is well below the UPB and you don't calculate CSI just by counting the bits - you are supposed to work out how specific, the change was.

For instance.  If you change 2 bits at random in the url, you are most likely to break the URL - some bits can be changed because the URL isn't case-sensitive. A change that is more likely to be successful than not does not indicate design.  However I calculate 63 out of 64 2-bit changes to the URL would break it.

Therefore not design !

If on the other hand, you calculate the  number of possible 2-bit changes that DS could have applied to the internet in an attempt to break the URL, and calculate the specificity by assuming the english phrase "BREAKS LINK"  as an independant specification you get:

log_2  [ (8x2x10^16)^2 / (2x10^5)^2 * k * Z ]

where 2x10^16 is a the number of bytes Google processes each day [1]; 2x10^5 is the number of words  in my limited english dictionary [2] ;  k is the number you first thought of; and Z is a number between 1 and infinity which reflects how acquanted you are with UD revisionism.  Then you conclude:

Therefore design !

[1] man in pub.
[2] man in pub

Mister DNA

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2008,18:37   

Has anyone addressed this post at Overwhelming Evidence?

The bulk of my life's work concerns not UFOs, but the peculiar Earth Mystery called “Ley-Lines”. At their most basic, Leys are precise linear alignments in geographical features. The most significant of these alignments can be often feature a number of historically significant landmarks, every one arranged in a perfect land across the landscape.

Is this guy a troll? Whoever he is, the post it great, as are the responses.

And in keeping with OE's "Doin' it 4 the Kidz" theme, the author provides some background:

I have always been interested in the esoteric, but my interest was not piqued until, while attending Sunbury Grammar School in 1960 (at the age of fourteen)

In other OE news, everything else is "Today at Mindful Hack"... "Today at The Design of Life"...

Waterlizzle fo' shizzle, y'all.

--------------

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2008,18:42   

OOO  lines!  Lines everywhere!  I take these two points, and look!  There's a line between them!  Then I take these other two points, and look!  There's a line between them!

That's about as meaningful as picking three stars in the sky and saying "Oh look!  A triangle!"

--------------

khan

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2008,19:10   

Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Feb. 19 2008,08:50)
DaveScot:

Tard

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2008....-doodle

--------------
"It's as if all those words, in their hurry to escape from the loony, have fallen over each other, forming scrambled heaps of meaninglessness." -damitall

That's so fucking stupid it merits a wing in the museum of stupid. -midwifetoad

Frequency is just the plural of wavelength...
-JoeG

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2008,19:19   

Casey Luskin is a PSDB.

Quote (Casey Luskin the Pseudo-Scientific Douche-Bag @ February 19, 2008 10:23 AM)
Today the Florida State Board of Education voted 4-3 to adopt science standards that call evolution “the fundamental concept underlying all of biology.” While it is good that students will learn about evolution, these standards will make for bad science education because they elevate Darwin’s theory to a dogma that cannot be questioned. Even worse, some board members thought that they could rectify the dogmatic tone of the standards by calling evolution a "scientific theory." Some news articles are even calling this a "compromise." Those board members were tricked into a false compromise: inserting the word “scientific theory” before the word "evolution" is a meaningless and impotent change that will do absolutely nothing to actually inform students about the scientific problems with evolution.
(Emphatic whine in the original.)

And a whiner.

(HT:Tyler DiPietro)

--------------

CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 19 2008,23:45   

Quote (REC @ Feb. 19 2008,13:37)
Anyone follow O'Leary's link to the 'file drawer' effect paper?
File Drawer Effect

The Society for Scientific Exploration is endlessly entertaining.....
Some of their 'peer reviewed' publications:
 . . . .

Testing a Language-Using Parrot for Telepathy
Rupert Sheldrake and Aimee Morgana
 . . . .
Abstracts

I can't get the early scenes from 'Ghostbusters' out of my mind.  At least we know what passes as science means for the UDers, and what overturning 'Big Science' would bring.....
Rupert Sheldrake is the Gold Standard for Nuts in Suits.

But not everything on that site is bogus.  Examine the book review at http://www.scientificexploration.org/jse/bookreviews/pdf/v17n1.pdf:

When I read some of the promotional materials associated
with No Free Lunch (e.g., that it ‘‘devastates the Darwinists’’), I was skeptical
but intrigued. After reading No Free Lunch, however, I was disappointed.
Although No Free Lunch is one of the best books available about ID, it is not
worth buying.

Poor Dr. Dr. Dembski.  Seventy three years of college and even the people who test parrots for telepathy don't respect him.

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 849 850 851 852 853 [854] 855 856 857 858 859 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]