RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < ... 822 823 824 825 826 [827] 828 829 830 831 832 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
someotherguy

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 28 2008,21:14   

Quote (Reciprocating Bill @ Jan. 28 2008,21:04)
Quote (carlsonjok @ Jan. 28 2008,18:27)

Quote (Maya @ Jan. 28 2008,16:47)

Quote (carlsonjok @ Jan. 28 2008,16:12)
 *Peaks out from behind Maya's skirt*

Ha ha!!!! Take that, Richard Hughes!!!

This skirt ain't big enough for the both of us.

Oddly enough, my wife said something similar the last time I was trying to get into her pants.  :(

So, she was wearing the pants and you were wearing the skirt?

. . .Not that there's anything wrong with that!

--------------
Evolander in training

olegt

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 28 2008,22:38   

Uncommonly Denyse offers three more predictions.  Here's the main theorem, the other two being the corollaries:
1. Academic institutions will force students to sign statements saying that they renounce the idea that the universe could be intelligently designed. So students from most normal human traditions will be forced to sign a statement saying that their tradition is actually lies, garbage, and drivel. Even though the evidence of the fine tuning of the universe actually supports their traditions’ most basic elements. And if they appeal to the judiciary, the judgebots will demand that they sign, if they want an education.

Denyse, wake up, it's already happening!  Colleges with religious affiliations already require their students (and professors) to sign a statement of faith.  And you know what?  They are convinced that statements of faith do not in themselves limit true academic freedom. Here's how the good folks at Patrick Henry College handle it.
Academic Freedom or Religious Coercion?

Professors at Patrick Henry College sign a statement of faith as a requirement of employment. This practice might suggest to some that our professors give up academic freedom when they sign the PHC statement of faith. The unstated assumption embedded in such a claim is that academic freedom is an intrinsically good thing and policies that compromise this freedom are undesirable. Fair enough. Most people agree that academic freedom is good. But this only raises an obvious question, namely, what exactly is academic freedom?

Their brilliant solution?  Redefine academic freedom so that it's not violated!

But perhaps academic freedom should be understood in another sense. What if we define academic freedom as the freedom for scholars holding similar worldviews to associate and in so doing to form a community of scholars actively pursuing truth in a collegial and cooperative fashion? Academic freedom in this sense seeks to step back from the radically individualized conception in the first definition in favor of a view that emphasizes community and cooperation.

What did they say about people in glass houses?

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2008,00:14   

Ha ha ha!  Denyse is arguing for Intelligent Falling:
http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....diction
Strictly speaking, nothing. By definition, it is the one form of evolution that banished purpose (teleology) from nature. That was supposed to be its big advantage, right? So by definition, it makes no predictions. Not that you’d know, from Darwinist huffing.

Time to get back to the tard mine.  :-)

Bob

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Annyday

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2008,00:21   

O'Leary is mega rotten at, like, clarity of understanding and communication and sheezy, fo real. Not that you'd know for all her huffing and puffing and slang-talkin'. Frankly, it reminds me of being ten. I'm a language freak, so maybe I stopped speaking like a retard early, but Jesus Christ the woman writes badly.

What the hell, I'll dissect the thing in the name of science.

People who can force the taxpayer to fund their activities are generally mega rotten at understanding the point of view of people who make a living offering goods and services to a public that actually has a choice in the matter. But that is a story for another day.

Mega rotten?

That aside, I agree with her statement, except for the part where it does not correspond with any reality to do with the sciences. People pay taxes. Governments fund research and education. Useful research and education. Biologists are not doing any kind of "forcing", but she can think it if she likes.

Anyway, predictions, predictions. What does Darwinian evolution predict?

It depends on what the term actually means, since "Darwinian evolution" can refer to Darwin's originals, the modern synthesis, or - if you happen to not know what you're talking about - nothing that is known to actually exist.

Strictly speaking, nothing. By definition, it is the one form of evolution that banished purpose (teleology) from nature. That was supposed to be its big advantage, right? So by definition, it makes no predictions. Not that you’d know, from Darwinist huffing.

"Nothing that is known to actually exist" it is, then. I like how removing creationist teleology from evolutionary processes supposedly removes predictive power. Shockingly, our current theory of gravity does not directly involve any form of "purpose", and yet we continue to predict the ways in which things fall with fair precision. By definition, this should be impossible, since it is a theory without teleogy.

(Edit: Credit to Bob for the much more pithy and timely reference to intelligent falling.)

That doesn’t mean no one can predict anything. Here are some more of of my predictions:

If Darwinian evolution predicts anything at all, other than grants for its promoters and persecution for its doubters, it should predict that such an event as the beefalo does not happen, yet it does.

The woman who pimps her books on no fewer than four blogs at once is calling scientists greedy for wanting grant money to do research.

I'm just gonna let the irony sink in.

... and then goes on to claim without any argument Darwinian evolution predicts something, when she's already said she doesn't think it can, and that this prediction has been falsified. As a side note, the prediction is retarded and does not follow in the least from any version of evolution I know of. If anything, bizarre hybrids seem a perfect example of evolution's consequences, but that shows what I know.

And lots of other similar events happen too, some of which we will unfold in due course at The Design of Life blog.

Blog number three, isn't it?

However, at this point, I think Darwinian evolution mainly predicts:

Lo, I saw a great grant machine, and behold, it was funded by the taxpayer, and – what marvel yet again! – it is administered by a small class of people who are ideological atheists and have learned how to turn that into an excellent financial proposition.

I think she called all biologists greedy, manipulative atheists again. Because clearly, if you're smart enough to become a scientist, you did it because you knew teaching and research are where all the big money and easy jobs are, right?

And a couple of further predictions (since I am here anyway),

Doubters who dare to offer facts in support of their views are hounded in a thoroughly unprofessional way.

Allegedly Christian institutions abet the persecution because they need to suck up to elite atheists in order to think well of themselves (I confess I do not know why. It is inconceivable to me how anyone could take those people’s opinions seriously, given that the entire twentieth century has been a vast disconfirmation of same.)

Might it be because there is no persecution? It is hypothetically possible that a group of loud underachievers have decided that there is a conspiracy aligned against them soas to lay responsibility for their failings and problems at the malice, rather than the indifference, of potential benefactors.

It is also hypothetically possible that the emperor has clothes, and the loud underachievers just don't like them.

The idea that the universe shows evidence of intelligent design is treated as a threat to human rights.

It's not the idea we fear. Ideas are all but harmless. At worst, they're wrong. The political agenda holding this particular idea aloft, however, is trouble.

Oops, all this has already HAPPENED! A day late and a dollar short.

Okay, so let me make three predictions that - to the best of my knowledge - haven’t already happened:

Note in advance: these are not scientific predictions. They're guesswork on par with Tarot. Not that I don't enjoy Tarot, it's just not a very good predictor, statistically.

1. Academic institutions will force students to sign statements saying that they renounce the idea that the universe could be intelligently designed. So students from most normal human traditions will be forced to sign a statement saying that their tradition is actually lies, garbage, and drivel. Even though the evidence of the fine tuning of the universe actually supports their traditions’ most basic elements. And if they appeal to the judiciary, the judgebots will demand that they sign, if they want an education.

Never going to happen. "Academic institutions", or higher ones, at least, don't care to control students' private opinions this much except in Denyse's head. Professors aren't thought police, they're students who grew roots in the academy and decided they couldn't stand to leave.

2. Many religion profs, divinity profs, chaplains, alleged Christians in science, etc., will urge the students to sign the statement, because - whether they know it or not - they are totally in the materialist camp. They hope that they can get a salary while they sell out their tradition. It is unclear why these profbots and revbots should not be booted, given that the evidence from science actually supports rather than undermines traditional beliefs about the basic nature of the universe. But lots of people get a salary to pretend otherwise, and they will go on doing so.

Nope. Not everyone with an advanced degree is out to get you. That is insane. If an Orwellian declaration like the first postulate brings up were to exist, everyone would hate it, from the biologists to the most creationist of theologians.

As a side note, it's kind of uncharitable to paint all scientists, professors and theologians, Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, and Buddhist alike as atheist conspiracy sellouts. Also, paranoid.

3. Social workers will come out from under the floorboards from every direction to urge the young people to be “nice” and sign.

See above.

Some of these young people will face a very difficult challenge. They will begin slowly to realize that some of their elders are a disgrace. All the worse for them, as they are traditionalists and think that they should be polite to elders. It is best to deal with family disgrace discreetly, so I assume they will. After all, the sellout of the “theistic evolutionists” is a disgrace in the eyes of the whole world and of history, so we need our best resources to address it decently and minimize the damage it has caused.

"Theistic evolutionists" are sellouts, and disgraces in the eyes of the whole world and history. Everyone who believes in evolution is a sellout. Everyone who dislikes Dembski is part of the conspiracy, though you can't say why a Baptist college would be part of an atheist conspiracy because it's a stupid idea.

Also, this story of "perfect young idealistic family-values traditionalists against the atheist conspiracy" is only getting crazier the longer it drags out. I hadn't heard anyone declare either a living or future person to be a disgrace to the eyes of History since I last spoke to my rabid Marxist friend last spring. The man is padded-cell crazy, and a mean drunk. Regardless, I am coming to suspect that Denyse is crazier.

Please write to me if these predictions have already happened.

I wonder if she'll get any responses. I strongly suspect that, if so, they will be complete lies.

Sure, I’d like to be a prophet, but I am really just a journalist.

Okay, in order.

1) Scientific "predictions" have little to no relation to prophecy. Playing prophet is not a form of "prediction" in the scientific sense.

2) Denyse's predictions are insane. If she's a prophet, the whole world will have to lose fifty IQ points and go viciously, cruelly mad to accommodate. She seems to hope for this.

I don’t need to be ahead of the news, just not too far behind it.

Over a hundred and fifty years behind it and counting. If she starts reading real biology now, she might get to the present day by 2010.

New at The Design of Life and The Mindful Hack

Why did you say goodbye just like that? What do we know about extinction?

A lot. Also, it doesn't contradict the Darwinismus, sadly for Denyse and against what she seems to think. It just throws a few wrenches into the gear. The Darwinismus is robust, it can survive such things, it just gets bent a little out of shape by them.

How do unconscious people know when to wake up? They shouldn’t, but they do, and so …

They don't "know". It's a simple physiological process on a biological clock. How do unconscious people know to breathe with suitable regularity?

To make sense, any theory of mind needs to address the data from physics. Notice, I said data from physics, not from Materialism 101.

A theory of mind that is based in physics is naturalistic. Physics deals with natural phenomenon. Assuming this is roughly what she means when she says "materialism", she doesn't seem to understand that using physical data for a dualistic philosophy is illogical and trite (after all, you don't think it can actually tell you anything, right?)

This reviewer of The Spiritual Brain thinks that the God Helmet is as funny as I did.

I have no idea what this is. Denyse might try writing for people other than the half-dozen people who can stand to follow her closely enough to get her weird in-jokes.

(Look, why don’t atheists get out more? They could try going to church, for example, if they want to attack religion effectively. You can learn way more about the down side of religion at church than in some atheist think tank.)

They do. Also, this seems to be a complete nonsequitor, but maybe I'm missing something since the first part of this paragraph- the part not in parentheses- made no sense.

Is human consciousness a trick to ensure survival? Well, let’s start with the question of whether it even helps much to ensure survival. Do animals commit suicide? Start wars over ideology? Consciousness creates numerous risks to life that would not otherwise exist.

Her argument: The Golden Bough, Frazer's awesomely written and extremely long account of many widespread religious practices, describes some destructively and wastefully weird shit. This weird shit would probably not happen if we were not conscious. Therefore, although consciousness appears to be good for us now, it must have been bad for us in the past, so it can't have evolved.

It's like a very badly argued just-so story, only worse. Like a badly argued just-so story being told by someone who refuses to study evolution in any depth on religious grounds.

I'm starting to feel bad for picking on her. She's a grandmother. A demented old lady, even. It's like nagging an ancient Alzheimer's patient for losing his keys. He can't help it! It's not his fault! He got old, he cannot hack it anymore, and that's it. Poor old bastard ought to be left alone to die in peace.

I mean, she literally can't seem to write a single paragraph without saying something ridiculous. That's just not fair.

--------------
"ALL eight of the "nature" miracles of Jesus could have been accomplished via the electroweak quantum tunneling mechanism. For example, walking on water could be accomplished by directing a neutrino beam created just below Jesus' feet downward." - Frank Tipler, ISCID fellow

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2008,00:50   

Quote (Annyday @ Jan. 28 2008,15:45)
If someone can translate Paul Nelson's latest into English, I'd appreciate it. Assuming that such is even possible.

The version I've got is: One of the many analytical tools in molecular evolution is contentious and really hard to use, and this makes Paul Nelson angry. Am I right, or did I miss something?

Also: So what? Lots of scientific fields are annoying to be in. Possibly all of them. If the data is new, it's going to give you headaches. If it made complete sense, it would not be research, it would be undergraduate textbook material.

You've pretty much got it.  It seems to be a set-up for part II, rather than anything drastic on its own.

The finding that alignments can be wrong, and this screws things up, isn't a great surprise to me, and probably not to anyone else who has seriously thought about the problem.  But it's nice to see it being demonstrated clearly, and perhaps it'll stimulate some ... wait for it ... research.

Yes, there could be a young computer scientist reading UD who thinks that adding uncertainty in alignments in phylogenetics is a problem that they could crack, and advance science as we know it.

Bob

--------------
It is fun to dip into the various threads to watch cluelessness at work in the hands of the confident exponent. - Soapy Sam (so say we all)

Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2008,04:15   

Quote (carlsonjok @ Jan. 28 2008,21:39)
Quote (Louis @ Jan. 28 2008,15:26)
Quote (carlsonjok @ Jan. 28 2008,18:42)

Quote (Richardthughes @ Jan. 28 2008,12:31)
True story. I once brought half a cup of coffee back up through my nose and elected to catch it back in the original cup.

here's the cool part: It was regular coffee originally, but cappuccino at the "second coming".

Is this:

A) Design
B) A Miracle
C) Transmogrification
D) Unaccounted for by darwinism
E) Sick

F) British Haute Cuisine.

Slander, libel and calumny!

I demand a notpology!*

I am terribly sorry, Louis, that British cuisine is so poor.  I am really quite sad that wrapping it in newsprint actually improves the flavor.  I am truly disconsolate that Jamie Oliver got his mockney arse whooped by American Mario Batali on Iron Chef.

Better?

{Applause}

Now if you could manage to make it somehow *my* fault that British cuisine is so terrible and work this into a future notpology and also manage to blame me fo you slandering British cuisine then your path to the Dark Side will be complete.

Notpologies, meltdowns, unselfreflective tardation these are the tools of the Dark Side.

Louis

--------------
Bye.

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2008,07:12   

Quote (Louis @ Jan. 29 2008,04:15)
Quote (carlsonjok @ Jan. 28 2008,21:39)
Quote (Louis @ Jan. 28 2008,15:26)

Quote (carlsonjok @ Jan. 28 2008,18:42)

Quote (Richardthughes @ Jan. 28 2008,12:31)
True story. I once brought half a cup of coffee back up through my nose and elected to catch it back in the original cup.

here's the cool part: It was regular coffee originally, but cappuccino at the "second coming".

Is this:

A) Design
B) A Miracle
C) Transmogrification
D) Unaccounted for by darwinism
E) Sick

F) British Haute Cuisine.

Slander, libel and calumny!

I demand a notpology!*

I am terribly sorry, Louis, that British cuisine is so poor.  I am really quite sad that wrapping it in newsprint actually improves the flavor.  I am truly disconsolate that Jamie Oliver got his mockney arse whooped by American Mario Batali on Iron Chef.

Better?

{Applause}

Now if you could manage to make it somehow *my* fault that British cuisine is so terrible and work this into a future notpology and also manage to blame me fo you slandering British cuisine then your path to the Dark Side will be complete.

Notpologies, meltdowns, unselfreflective tardation these are the tools of the Dark Side.

Louis

I think i shall blame you for the Spice Wars and also perhaps the spice girls and that includes granny spice.  Also, spam, spice, spam girls, granny spam, spam wars, spam whores, spice whores, spam whore wars, spy whores, and Ricky Skaggs.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

carlsonjok

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2008,07:23   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Jan. 29 2008,07:12)

Quote (Louis @ Jan. 29 2008,04:15)

I think i shall blame you for the Spice Wars and also perhaps the spice girls and that includes granny spice.  Also, spam, spice, spam girls, granny spam, spam wars, spam whores, spice whores, spam whore wars, spy whores, and Ricky Skaggs.

Now, just wait a minute! Bluegrass music is one of the few things that we really should thank our British friends for.

--------------
It's natural to be curious about our world, but the scientific method is just one theory about how to best understand it.  We live in a democracy, which means we should treat every theory equally. - Steven Colbert, I Am America (and So Can You!)

ERV

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2008,07:44   

Meltdown Meter at code red.

Minor Character Meltdown imminent.

I repeat, imminent.

Please stand by.

Waiting for approval to release floodgates.

Pending approval, expect meltdown on my blag @ ~6pm CST.

Please remain calm and follow the USID standard meltdown emergency guidelines, as this is just a minor character meltdown, NOT a full WAD meltdown.

Edited to add-- I think Granny Spice proof-read the meltdown.

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2008,08:00   

Dear Dear Dear Dear Dear Carlson

In this post modern age it has become fashionable to emphasize pluralism and a distinct unwillingness to commit oneself to the truth.  It follows then that lesser scholars, with a cruder understanding of the subtle nuances of both the genre and the social spheres where the genre is expressed, would thank the brits, but tis' not true (although the welsh may have been important, Thanks Louis!!!  Tell yer mommer and them we said how-deee!)

So, the Politically Incorrect but Divinely Revealed* Guide To Hillbilly Music says that the Last Universal Common Ancestor of all that is aeolian mixolydian or dorian, played while chewing tobacco, within sight of goats or chickens, within earshot of white likker, done unplugged and with things that get took down and then and then put up, THIS must be this man seen in yonder doorway.

It remains a puzzle how one would pay serious attention to a thing such as music whilst suffering from pinworms, hookworms, roundworms, herpes, syphilis, gonorrhea, crotch crickets, penis rickets and full blown yeast infections.

*This is true.  

Edited to add:  Edited to add.

--------------

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2008,08:26   

Quote (ERV @ Jan. 29 2008,07:44)

I repeat, imminent.

Please stand by.

Please remain calm and follow the USID standard meltdown emergency guidelines, as this is just a minor character meltdown, NOT a full WAD meltdown.

I am waiting with baited breath.  

I am also hunkered down in my Tard-Proof Blast Bunker / Fortress of Solitude.  Complete with Beef Jerky and Bottled Spring Water.  

I have my fingers crossed, and hip-boots on - let the Floodgates Go!  Let The MeltDown Begin!

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

UD is an Unnatural Douchemagnet. - richardthughes 7/11

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2008,08:49   

Quote (Annyday @ Jan. 29 2008,00:21)
O'Leary is mega rotten at, like, clarity of understanding and communication and sheezy, fo real. Not that you'd know for all her huffing and puffing and slang-talkin'. Frankly, it reminds me of being ten. I'm a language freak, so maybe I stopped speaking like a retard early, but Jesus Christ the woman writes badly.

What the hell, I'll dissect the thing in the name of science.

Anyday - Outstanding fisking!  I think there is a book in there BTW..."Why They Are IDiots", or maybe "Dense Denyse - The Trials and Tribulations of an Unarmed Woman In a Battle of Wits"  

What's your background, and how did you get here?

--------------
Come on Tough Guy, do the little dance of ID impotence you do so well. - Louis to Joe G 2/10

Gullibility is not a virtue - Quidam on Dembski's belief in the Bible Code Faith Healers & ID 7/08

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2008,09:14   

jerry: So when someone brings up that there are thousands of cichlid species or 60,000 different beetles one can point to Darwinian processes that narrow the gene pool of a certain population and produce what we have called different species. Occasionally there will be the minor mutation that will affect a species but they will always be minor.

Yes, microevolution in beetles.

Click for Lucy Arnold's website

Sort of like the minor variations between mice and men. Same basic body plan, organs and skeleton. Most of the same genes and biochemistry. A little different in size, a bit more gray matter in the one. (I forget which.) Otherwise, very similar.

One significant difference. While mice and cats have a somewhat adversarial relationship, I understand humans are kept as companion animals by the feline species.

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2008,09:27   

kairosfocus: {Evo Mat assertion} No intelligence was involved or could be involved.

vs

{ID start-point for the design inference} Intelligence causation might be involved.

I think I see your problem right there.

1 -> 'Evo-Mat' is a strawman.
2 -> 'Evo-Mat' is diversionary (appeal to emotion).
3 -> The first statement is false. No scientist precludes intelligent involvement a priori.
4 -> False dichotomy.

{snip all that follows from faulty premises.}

--------------

You never step on the same tard twice—for it's not the same tard and you're not the same person.

Richardthughes

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2008,11:08   

Quote (ERV @ Jan. 29 2008,07:44)

I repeat, imminent.

Please stand by.

Oh, You tease!

--------------
"Richardthughes, you magnificent bastard, I stand in awe of you..." : Arden Chatfield
"You magnificent bastard! " : Louis
"ATBC poster child", "I have to agree with Rich.." : DaveTard
"I bow to your superior skills" : deadman_932
"...it was Richardthughes making me lie in bed.." : Kristine

someotherguy

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2008,11:15   

Wha--WHA--WHAT?

--------------
Evolander in training

Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2008,11:17   

how many times are you going to copy and paste this nonsense here?

--------------
Uncommon Descent is a moral cesspool, a festering intellectual ghetto that intoxicates and degrades its inhabitants - Stephen Matheson

Doc Bill

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2008,11:45   

Oh, ERV, let us guess!  And award prizes to the closest answer.

Me first, me first!

Obviously it's Luskin!  Since he rattled his plastic cocktail sword about an itty bitty B&W photo on an obscure, personal homepage at Geocities, no less  (get it?  No Les.  sorry), I can only imagine Luskin's apoplexy at a full color portrait of him looking like a comatose gopher being attacked by wooly bear caterpillars displayed on a nationally recognized, top tier, science blog.

p.s.  that last bit of groveling should earn me some kind of prize.

Steverino

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2008,11:53   

"Only mankind’s ego could misinterpret 2 Peter 3:8 affixing the number 1,000 to the ratio equivalent in the passage  “...day to the (Judeo-Christian) Lord . . .” by leaving out the word ‘As’. This one word by all known logic methodology means the word ‘Day’ in Genesis 1:5 has no fixed equivalent to man’s calculation of time but rather uses 1,000 to emphasize day represents a much longer length of time than man could fathom. If the ratio was intended to be exact then the sentence would have omitted the word As or been translated using only the word Is — “. . . a day is 1,000 years. . , ”  if you simply ask a human whose life-span is 76 years then 1,000 is a very large number. Only ego would bind that which is called Creator and not admit that the actual time of this difference or ratio could easily have been 65 billion years (the word billion not yet having appeared in language and not yet fathomed by logicians as infinity.)"

Yes, except for one small, teensy weensy detail....

Proof.

Other than that, you're good to go!

--------------
- Born right the first time.
- Asking questions is NOT the same as providing answers.
- It's all fun and games until the flying monkeys show up!

J-Dog

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2008,12:29   

Quote (Doc Bill @ Jan. 29 2008,11:45)
Oh, ERV, let us guess!  And award prizes to the closest answer.

Me first, me first!

Obviously it's Luskin!  Since he rattled his plastic cocktail sword about an itty bitty B&W photo on an obscure, personal homepage at Geocities, no less  (get it?  No Les.  sorry), I can only imagine Luskin's apoplexy at a full color portrait of him looking like a comatose gopher being attacked by wooly bear caterpillars displayed on a nationally recognized, top tier, science blog.

p.s.  that last bit of groveling should earn me some kind of prize.

Ha!  You think you have the answer?

Well I think it is Casey, but Denyse is the key.  

It will be revealed through ERV's inspired detective work and pit-bull tenacity that Denyse is the illegitimate father of Casey Luskin.   It is all part of an illegal proscribed genetic experiment by a Creation Scientist gone horribly wrong, where God gave them a vision to match the high energy of a the common gerbil with the stolid demeanor and writing ability of the Common Canadian Land Slug.

The result is Casey Luskin - Part Attack Gerbil, Part Slug, All Stupid, all the time.

--------------

Lou FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2008,12:38   

metoni,

Pasting the same silly thing on three different threads is akin to spamming.  It also does not make it any truer.

--------------
“Why do creationists have such a hard time with commas?

Linky“. ~ Steve Story, Legend

Bob O'H

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2008,13:30   

... ERV's inspired detective work and pit-bull tenacity ...

What?  You mean she rolls over after 5 minutes wanting her tummy scratched?

Lou FCD - Your reading for today.

Bob

--------------

HalfMooner

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2008,15:56   

Quote (PTET @ Jan. 28 2008,10:43)

Quote (stevestory @ Jan. 28 2008,09:47)
I'm picturing the statue looking more like the Army of Darkness poster, with Bill standing there with his shirt torn, and Denyse clutching his leg.

Ahem.

I love it!

steve_h

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2008,16:49   

Once again DO'L demonstrates the non-material nature of the mind: Mind and brain: How do unconscious people know when to wake up?

Yes it sounds so silly.  People expect to be woken up at a certain time, they wake up shortly before. The unconscious brain can't wake itself up; That would be silly.

Instead the non-material mind wakes the brain up non-materially by releasing material hormones that trigger material chemical events.  

It probably doesn't matter that my mind does all this without my mind ever being aware that it is doing it; Unconscious activity is only a problem for brains.  

It probably also doesn't matter that Granny believes consciousness is something that happens in the mind not in the brain.  The mind unconsciously triggers some chemicals to activate the brain, whch isn't the seat of consciousness, but can at least ask the mind to become conscious possibly by subsequent release of hormones that trigger supernatural stuff to happen. Or something. Pathetic detail and all that.

guthrie

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2008,16:51   

Quote (J-Dog @ Jan. 29 2008,12:29)
The result is Casey Luskin - Part Attack Gerbil, Part Slug, All Stupid, all the time.

An attack slug!  Great, I'll go get the salt.

steve_h

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2008,17:17   

Here’s an interesting recent book, just the thing for Darwin Day, I guess: Apes or Angels?: Darwin, Dover, Human Nature, and Race by Cornelius J. Troost. Here’s his publisher’s blurb, abbreviated a bit:

APES or ANGELS?: It speaks the truth about Darwin’s views on human origins and race. Contrary to the beliefs of most academicians and educated readers, Darwin had two dangerous ideas instead of one. The second idea is rarely mentioned in politically correct America- that the human races are different in sometimes significant ways. Indeed, inequality is a normal condition of nature. Darwin’s clash with Christianity is winding down because modern science is a foundation of western culture and it fully accepts the truth of natural selection and the evolution of life(including man).

(My emphasis)

Abbreviated a bit, hmmm, what was removed and replaced by that ellipsis?

Daniel Dennett was perfectly right about the first, which was the notion that natural selection operated in a way that precluded explanatory intrusions from outside the natural world. In other words, metaphysics has no place in biological explanation. Things spiritual, like vitalism and finalism, are simply inapplicable to evolutionary biology.

"Darwin’s clash with Christianity is winding down"

Rather suggests that Darwin's disagreement with Christianity was about the  supernatural stuff. The  racist stuff was not something they disagreed about (*).  No wonder DO'L had to "abbreviate a bit".

(*) if you don't take into account that Darwin was significantly less racist that the average christian (or anyone else) of the day.

ERV

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2008,20:50   

Current meltdown is over.

Full meltdown available upon request.

sparc

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2008,22:12   

Mind and brain: How do unconscious people know when to wake up?
Brain and mind: How do brainless people know how to write mindless posts?

--------------
"[...] the type of information we find in living systems is beyond the creative means of purely material processes [...] Who or what is such an ultimate source of information? [...] from a theistic perspective, such an information source would presumably have to be God."

- William Dembski -

Mister DNA

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2008,22:27   

Quote (sparc @ Jan. 29 2008,22:12)

Mind and brain: How do unconscious people know when to wake up?
Brain and mind: How do brainless people know how to write mindless posts?

And more importantly, will they ever, like totally, know when to stop, yo?

Edited: Denysed it up for the younger fizzolks.

--------------
CBEB's: The Church Burnin' Ebola Blog
Thank you, Dr. Dembski. You are without peer when it comes to The Argument Regarding Design. - vesf

Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 29 2008,22:55   

Here is some tard for that ass.

Have none of these assholes ever aligned sequences?

All Science So Far!!!

--------------

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < ... 822 823 824 825 826 [827] 828 829 830 831 832 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]