RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Topic: Kansas & teaching evolution, It's not over yet...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 11 2002,15:27   

Kansas got the national spotlight in 1999 when creationists rewrote the science standards and excised evolution from them.  Since then, some creationist board members were voted out, and evolution was restored to the science standards.  The voters of Kansas will be making choices between candidates again this year.  Will we see a cyclical pattern of change in the science standards?

Here's a news item concerning two of the candidates in Kansas and some mention of their views on evolution.

Board of ed hopefuls have similar stances (Newton Kansan, 2002/10/09)

Neither candidate distinguished himself. Even on the divisive issue of teaching evolution vs. creationism, candidates basically agreed on what policy should be. Both said they would not support the teaching of creationism as an alternative to evolution.

"I support academic freedom," Willard said. "That means giving the scientific evidence on all sides of the issue and encourage them to make up their minds. I think that is what education is about, teaching kids to inquire and come to a decision."

"I would not teach creationism as an alternative to evolution," Anstine said. "In my mind creationism is a function of my home, my wife and eight kids. It is a function of our church. We've been there for more than 40 years. I think the creation story and other parts of religion are taught by the home."

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

7 replies since Oct. 11 2002,15:27 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]