RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (437) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 5, Return To Teh Dingbat Buffet< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
CeilingCat

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 11 2019,17:53   

Quote (LarTanner @ Oct. 11 2019,10:10)
Bornagain says this:

For instance, in support of the claim that it is ‘crazy’, I can reference the fact that no material object can travel the speed of light, much less travel faster than the speed of light, and that the milky way galaxy itself is on the order of at least 170,000 light-years, and possibly up to 200,000 light-years, across its diameter.

I am not a scientist, so I must sheepishly ask: Is light itself, which travels 'at the speed of light,' considered a 'material object'? If not, what is it that is traveling 'at the speed of light'?

Well, I know I can feel the warmth when infra-red light hits my arm, I get sunburned when ultra-violet light hits my back and a lot of people got their shadows burned into concrete and stone at Hiroshema and Nagasaki by a very bright light, so light sounds pretty material to me.

bs77 might be shocked to hear this though, for he is on record as saying that materialism is falsified because atoms are not shiny little balls.

I know, we'll tell him light is also a wave.  That'll make him feel better.

13082 replies since Dec. 29 2013,11:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (437) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]