RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (445) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 5, Return To Teh Dingbat Buffet< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
olegt

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 23 2014,06:15   

This excerpt amply demonstrates that phoodoo isn't someone worth paying attention to.
She kept trying to say, “well, they are emergent, see, so that is where we get our moral ideas.” I think she didn’t even have a clue what she was trying to say, but simply was trying to throw out some concepts and hope they deflected the problem of finding morality in a completely materialist world.

If we are all just different mixes of chemicals, all the talk in the world about emergence doesn’t erase the fact that its just chemicals creating the illusion of value.

The fact is, science doesn’t even know what emergence is, they have no idea how ants make complex decisions, and how individual brain cells, add up to consciousness. Its a complete mystery,and she is using it as a defense for pulling morality out of thin air.

Each paragraph contains an egregious error. Phoodoo has been pointed several times to P.W. Anderson's short essay that explains very well what emergence is and gives examples. I don't think he ever bothered to read it. He still has no clue and accuses others of not understanding it. The guy is both ignorant and arrogant at the same time, with hilarious results.

This isn't an entirely new trait exhibited by phoodoo. He claims that I have no clue about dynamical chaos and that Joe Felsenstein cannot count. LOL.

--------------
If you are not:
Galapagos Finch
please Logout »

13325 replies since Dec. 29 2013,11:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (445) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]