RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (431) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 5, Return To Teh Dingbat Buffet< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Tracy P. Hamilton

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 13 2014,14:37   

Quote (CeilingCat @ Jan. 13 2014,10:45)
An O'Leary own goal!  She's checking out a new grammar checker.  She types in this bit of deathless prose:  
   Hawking is comfortable with non-realism: “I’m a positivist. … I don’t demand that a theory correspond to reality because I don’t know what it is.” The end of reality is captured in a telling vignette: The lead character in the film Happy Go Lucky, browsing in a bookshop, pulls Roger Penrose’s Road to Reality from a shelf, glances at the title and puts it straight back, saying, “Oh, we don’t want to go there!”

A question arises: If, in the multiverse (especially the many worlds version) everything possible is true, why do cosmologists trash traditional Judeo-Christian beliefs? Because there is a critical catch: Anything may be true, including contradictory states, except serious dissent from the Copernican principle–the principle that Earth and our universe are nothing special.

The score?  "58 of 100(weak, needs revision)"

Whoda guessed?

Never would have guessed as high as 58!

--------------
"Following what I just wrote about fitness, you’re taking refuge in what we see in the world."  PaV

"The simple equation F = MA leads to the concept of four-dimensional space." GilDodgen

"We have no brain, I don't, for thinking." Robert Byers

12903 replies since Dec. 29 2013,11:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (431) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]