RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (608) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: A Separate Thread for Gary Gaulin, As big as the poop that does not look< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 27 2017,21:14   

Edit (for bolding code) below:

Quote (N.Wells @ Mar. 26 2017,18:01)
What I said was that inclusive fitness explains how altruistic behaviors and behaviors or traits that do not directly result in more offspring for the individual involved (e.g. homosexuality) can be positively selected during the course of evolution. That's all I claimed, and that is well understood.  What amount of homosexuality is explained by a genetic component is unknown, as are the exact causes of homosexuality.

Recall, this is in response to YOUR question, "And does that name by chance include a gay population...?".  The answer remains, yes it does.

Inclusive fitness explains kin selection, which includes such things as individuals sacrificing themselves (or putting themselves at risk) to warn siblings and cousins: J.B.S. Haldane, "I would gladly lay down my life for two brothers or eight cousins."  However, it also describes the benefits to a community of a more general reciprocal altruism involving unrelated individuals (hence "inclusive"), and how many selfish cheaters can be tolerated before such a system becomes unstable.  If your community benefits from having elders around (more people to watch over the young, more long-term experience, more accumulated wisdom, and more experience with rare hazards), all of which increases the chances of survival for your young, it is worth your while evolutionarily to look after unrelated elders, quite apart from the personal benefits of establishing a culture of looking after elderly people in preparation for when you in turn become elderly.

Instead of your trying to pretend that you knew how how all that works you should have just been honest, which in this case only needed the one sentence. All the rest around it was well written, but amounts to trying to look smart after basically admitting you have no working model for determining the likely cause of things like "altruism".

--------------
The theory of intelligent design holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection.

18219 replies since Oct. 31 2012,02:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (608) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]