RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (605) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: A Separate Thread for Gary Gaulin, As big as the poop that does not look< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 27 2012,22:47   

Quote (Henry J @ Nov. 27 2012,21:38)

I posted the Intelligent Causation illustration to show what I am saying about it being systematically "the same way your brain learns".

And I posted what I said because there are significant differences between how a species evolves and how a neural network acquires knowledge. Comparing them may be interesting, but it is a very loose analogy.

The only difference is that the system is made of neurons. There is also multiplexing that the usual neural network models do not cover, for example grid, place and head direction cells (likely part of RAM Addressing circuitry but none are yet sure exactly how it works). Here's one of my science projects to help myself and others better understand the process:

http://www.kcfs.org/phpBB3.....#p20245

It also sounds like you are saying that somatic hypermutation is a totally random event with a normal mutation rate like any other cell.

I didn't say anything about immune system cells. As I understand that, what they do is manage to speed up mutation in some regions of their DNA while (I presume) minimizing it elsewhere; in essence a genetic algorithm. The mutation in those are indeed random, just with a higher frequency in some areas that affect tendency of the cell to detect and attach to trespassers.

Hypermutation is not accounted for in a typical GA, it works like the computer model in the theory. In molecular intelligence what you are seeing is it taking "good guesses". Only one data region of the DNA RAM changes in response to previous memory actions not working, not entire genome, as is required/predicted by the model in theory.

Anyway, if mutations are indeed like some suggest random and without reason then perfect clones should be produced for an equal number of generations, in any condition.

I presume that's assuming that the method of cloning somehow prevents mutations during the cell divisions.
That strikes me as unlikely.

No, see my previous reply with a paper on how that one works.

The least you can do is use the proper phrasing "molecular intelligence" or "cellular intelligence" instead of the usual grade school generalizations

Those two phrases are not appropriate for discussions of chemistry and cellular biology. The word "intelligence" doesn't add anything to the understanding of those subjects. If somebody developing computer software or hardware used molecules as components, that could make the phrase relevant in that field, but not to biology.

In case you did not see it yet this is an excellent resource for Cellular Intelligence:

http://www.basic.northwestern.edu/g-buehl....nt0.htm

Molecular Intelligence is still an emerging concept, which seriously needs this theory to properly operationally define and explain how it works.

In evolution, mutations, recombinations, and a few other things increase the amount of variety in the species. In a large population, alleles that are widespread would get most of the possible point mutations tested periodically; that's just statistics, not intelligence. Selection and genetic drift generally reduce the amount of variety; when things are stable a balance is reached between the things that increase variety and the things that decrease it. When things aren't stable, these processes can produce a positive feedback effect that might or might not optimize some feature of the organisms in that species.

Henry

You are trying to describe what I am talking about using the generalizations of a paradigm which missses what is most important to understand about the underlying process. Its systematically works the exact same way as any other self-learning system at other intelligence levels.

--------------
The theory of intelligent design holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection.

18137 replies since Oct. 31 2012,02:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (605) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]