RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (605) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: A Separate Thread for Gary Gaulin, As big as the poop that does not look< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 27 2012,11:28   

Quote (Southstar @ Nov. 27 2012,11:14)
Quote (GaryGaulin @ Nov. 27 2012,10:20)

Quote (Southstar @ Nov. 27 2012,03:40)

Quote (GaryGaulin @ Nov. 26 2012,23:56)
Typo, the word "nylonase" should read "nylon" or better yet be removed due to it being redundant:

A viable experiment here would be to clone e.coli in ideal conditions, while comparing to those cloned in conditions where there are antibiotics, teratogens and other near fatal chemicals that at first kills almost all of them off. For good luck clone a batch that only has for a food source a well worn nylon stocking and maybe a sweaty/smelly cotton blend gym sock to help get them started on their new diet.

Anyway, if mutations are indeed like some suggest random and without reason then perfect clones should be produced for an equal number of generations, in any condition.

This has been already done and resaults have been published. Read about Richard Lenski's work with LTEE.

Once you have read his papers (presuming you can read them) please come back and tell us why some of the e.colli evolved Cit+ mutation and why others didn't? Were they dumber?

I recall Richard Lenski's bacterial evolution experiment. In fact I had it on my mind when I was writing that. It's evidence that what I said is true. If you take away the adverse conditions they are being forced to adapt to then cloning is easy, otherwise it's impossible because the clones will not survive for long in that environment.

To the question of which is dumber, the comparison is between identical clones with the exact same molecular intelligence (genome) in the exact same learning environment. Which one is the first to take a good guess that works is not necessarily an indication that the others are dumber, they were simply the first to find a successful solution to a problem. It's possible that another soon finds an even better solution.

I recall Richard Lenski's bacterial evolution experiment. In fact I had it on my mind when I was writing that.

Then your memory isn't very good please re-read his papers because the first time round you weren't present when you supposedly read them.

It's evidence that what I said is true. If you take away the adverse conditions they are being forced to adapt to then cloning is easy, otherwise it's impossible because the clones will not survive for long in that environment.

Really? Please point out which colonies didn't survive cause Dr Lenski isn't aware he has undead bacteria in his lab and he should be immediately warned of this horrific revelation.

To the question of which is dumber, the comparison is between identical clones with the exact same molecular intelligence (genome) in the exact same learning environment....

Great so you say it was random chance that ara -3 got there before the others?  

Also it would be very useful if you could  please identify where the repository for generating tandem duplications of CIT+ is physically held in say generation 5,000 of colony ara -3. Please be specific.

You are now using academic snobbery to change the subject away from bacteria which are being forced to adapt or perish, in comparison to ones which are given ideal conditions for cloning.

It would help to answer this with a yes/no answer: Are you arguing that cloning is equally easy in an environment the clones cannot survive for very long?

--------------
The theory of intelligent design holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection.

18139 replies since Oct. 31 2012,02:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (605) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]