RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (393) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: A Separate Thread for Gary Gaulin, As big as the poop that does not look< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
GaryGaulin

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 25 2012,22:53   

Quote (OgreMkV @ Nov. 25 2012,22:09)
Quote (GaryGaulin @ Nov. 25 2012,21:47)
Quote (Henry J @ Nov. 25 2012,21:25)

In more recent years I discovered that genomes and higher order cellular processes such as chemotaxis work the same way.

I wonder if you meant to say gene pool rather than genome. After all, a gene pool does keep a record of sorts of things that worked (while not keeping a record of things to avoid doing again), and it has a way of trying lots of minor variations (although no way of reliably trying large variations to rewrite something that was done badly).

Henry

The gene pool still relies on single individuals to come up with unique solutions to problems such as digesting nylon, antibiotic resistance, differentiation into new cell morphologies.

At the "molecular intelligence" level the gene pool is a "collective intelligence" or more specifically "molecular collective intelligence".

The way you stated this implies that you think that the individual decides to become resistant to antibiotics or become able to consume nylon residue.

Is this the case?

Do you think that an individual bacterium decides to become resistant to an antibiotic?

Follow up: Does that bacteria then teach other bacteria to be resistant?

Bacteria "learn" how to do such things.

After one learns something new this can be taught to others via conjugation. But since there is not all that much known about how the entire process works I'm not yet sure how often new genes are shared with others, I only know that at least sometimes they are.

And on a side note to Henry I have to thank them for a question that led to an answer I had to add to the Molecular Intelligence section of the theory:
The molecular intelligence “gene pool” relies on single individuals to come up with unique solutions to problems such as digesting nylon, antibiotic resistance and differentiation into new cell morphologies. At the "molecular intelligence" level the gene pool is a "collective intelligence" or more specifically "molecular collective intelligence".

The page numbers in the index are probably off but I uploaded the latest, which also has more detail for the forward and reverse Krebs Cycle.

--------------
The theory of intelligent design holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection.

11787 replies since Oct. 31 2012,02:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (393) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]