RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >   
  Topic: The De-tard, like trying to drink all the beer< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
midwifetoad

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 27 2012,12:31   

Since people are confessing their personal de-tard experiences, I might as well jump in.

Some time around 1956, (when I was 11) Life Magazine ran a series called the Epic of Man, which included a discussion of human evolution. By coincidence I was in confirmation class in the Episcopal Church. My older sister helpfully informed me that the age for this class had been moved down so as to catch kids before they -- I'm not sure what she said here, but the meaning I remember was -- before they caught on. This is important because it is indicative of my family's lack of commitment to religious inerrancy.

There was a period of a few months where I toyed with the notion that fossils were tricks played by Satan. I found a paperback in the supermarket titled Religion Made Simple. (The Made Simple series was the precursor to the For Dummies series.)

So I read a brief outline of all the world's major religions and concluded I was a pantheist. That was pretty much the end of any belief in the details of revealed religion. This was by age 12. Because my family didn't push belief, I had nothing to rebel against, and I never developed any hostility to religion. I just take it as something like politics, only not as important.

I didn't think seriously about the creationism debate until I encountered the Gould articles in Natural History. I ran into them within a few months after they started. Since then I've been hooked.

I did have a college class in History of Science, which spent a few weeks on Darwin and Wallace, but creationism wasn't on the table.

--------------
”let’s not make a joke of ourselves.”

Pat Robertson

123 replies since Sep. 26 2012,08:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]