RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >   
  Topic: The De-tard, like trying to drink all the beer< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2012,11:19   

My point is that although we cross swords with the tards primarily for fun, its worthwhile to argue carefully and with an eye toward the audience.  We are adding straws to the camel's back.

I am suggesting that this is more or less equivalent to a religious belief.  It seems for those who hold it, that it *must* be true.

But there is precious little evidence that the camel's back breaks on account of straws.

I admit it's hard to get a handle on this because (like you point out) de-tard happens gradually.  But this may be for social/psychological reasons rather than the development or maturation of a robust understanding of how the claims of particular species of tard are contradicted by the empirical evidence.

I think when you say "it's worthwhile to argue carefully with an eye towards the audience" that the "worth" is something you personally value, like intellectual integrity, and not a social benefit of say "less tard in the world".

Absolutely agreed that constructing an argument is a pleasurable activity, and fully agreed that T.A.R.D. warrioring can keep you sharp.  But, so what? It doesn't reduce the amount of tard in the world (it multiplies it) and i think it doesn't reduce the number of creationists in the world either.

tone trolling is lame i don't care if it is joe felsenstein doing it.

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

123 replies since Sep. 26 2012,08:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]