RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Topic: An Invitation to Kairosfocus, To discuss Origins< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
BillB

(Permalink) Posted: June 12 2012,09:36   

Quote (Dr.GH @ June 11 2012,23:32)
Why would you think that a cockroach would come out during the day?

Teen pregnancy rates are highest in "Abstinence Only" states, and lowest in comprehensive sex education states. STD rates are the same or higher in "Abstinence Only" states" as in states with no sex ed at all.

"Abstinence-Only Education and Teen Pregnancy Rates: Why We Need Comprehensive Sex Education in the U.S" Stanger-Hall KF, Hall DW (2011) PLoS ONE 6(10): e24658. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0024658

"Abstinence Only vs. Comprehensive Sex Education:
What are the arguments?
What is the evidence?"

AIDS Research Institute University of California, San Francisco Policy Monograph Series – March 2002

"After the promise: the STD consequences of adolescent virginity pledges" Hannah Brückner, and Peter Bearman, Journal of Adolescent Health 36 (2005) 271–278

"Abstinence-Only and Comprehensive Sex Education and the Initiation of Sexual Activity and Teen Pregnancy" Pamela K. Kohler, Lisa E. Manhart, and William E. Lafferty, Journal of Adolescent Health 42 (2008) 344–351

Yes, I seem to remember a report or study about how a more biblical approach to sex ed had led to more anal sex - as a way of avoiding breaking the pledge.

I mentioned this to my wife, who mumbled something about silly religious folk, the bible and not understanding the relevant passages...

Yes, I said - relevant passage is the operative word.

It took her quite a long time to stop laughing . ..

24 replies since June 11 2012,08:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]