RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >   
  Topic: Lou FCD's photo corner, Technics, equipment, photos...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: April 20 2012,07:38   

Quote (midwifetoad @ April 19 2012,22:27)
I wasn't trying to agree or disagree. Just adding what I thought was a useful comment.

I've been around cameras for a few years. I still have a working Nikon F bought in 1965. I was a darkroom technician for four college yearbooks and made the final prints for three. I never used a camera with any automatic features for the first ten years I was in the hobby.

I sold darkroom equipment at Altman Camera in Chicago in 1970 and 71. At the time it was the largest camera store in the world.

Your explanation is fine. I learned something from the discussion of t-stops. I just thought it left the impression that the effective f-stop is something to be concerned about, and I doubt that it is.

Since the whole point of f-stops is supposed to be a metric of light transmission that is the same across disparate lenses, the explanation would be incomplete without discussion of how the simple f-stop metric isn't sufficient for that objective. That's still true whether current TTL metering makes deep knowledge of light transmission in optics moot for a segment of photographers.

I gave my last Nikon F to a friend, but I still have an F2 and a Beseler 45MX. I have yearbook photography, photojournalism, studio photography, public relations photography, and event photography in my work background, plus coursework in fine arts photography from U. Florida.

"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

43 replies since April 18 2012,05:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]