RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >   
  Topic: Feminism, Discussion on feminism and concepts< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Louis

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 03 2011,14:12   

Quote (Kristine @ Nov. 03 2011,18:57)
Why does this subject suddenly give me a stomach-ache?

I am not convinced, as Catherine McKinnon once asserted, that there is a generic "condition of being woman" that unites all women everywhere on the planet. If someone "does not have the vocabulary," then GOOD! because it changes every decade anyway!

Remember how, in the 1990s, if a woman had a young son, he was referred to by the "sisterhood" as "The Oppressor"? How self-styled feminists ragged on each other for having male children? Nowadays, someone like me gets into a fight with Bitch, PhD. and the gaggle at Feministe because if you're a woman and you're not enthralled by children, or don't particularly like being around them (guilty, moi!), and certainly don't think that they belong in the bar or at the X-rated film, you "are not really a feminist" and "it is just like being racist." What BS!

No feminists these days seem to recognize how corporations are using people's children to 1) teach them to pester their parents to buy crap that the kids don't need or even want, and 2) scare parents to death about exaggerated "threats."

Where is feminism today? It doesn't even exist anymore. Not as I understood it!

There are certainly "feminisms" from what I can tell, i.e. different schools of thought, so I would hardly want to lump them all together.

I'd share your lack of conviction regarding a "generic condition of womanhood", the idea seem preposterous to me at face value.

I don't know much about the rest, except that I'd bet there are feminists who know about/campaign against the corporate thing you mention. I DO know there are a hell of a lot of straw feminists out there who are claimed to have said the most remarkable things, and then turn out not to have. To balance that I also know that there are a lot of loons out there. Hence why I think it's probably better to pick an idea, a concept or a...a...errrm...a thing and use that as a leaping off point.

How about a definition of what "feminism" is? Own words or link to an unobjectionable reference?

Louis

--------------
Bye.

122 replies since Nov. 03 2011,11:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]