RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (356) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 4, Fostering a Greater Understanding of IDC< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
REC

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 08 2012,21:09   

Bwaaahhhaaaha....

Barry cracks me the hell up. Years of ID defense, and whose ramblings get him off....fucking Pascal.

Barry thinks ID has detected the design in nature, and he quotes Pascal, who in prelude to his 'wager' says this:

"This is what I see, and what troubles me. I look on all sides, and everywhere I see nothing but obscurity. Nature offers me nothing that is not a matter of doubt and disquiet. .... For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.... There no doubt exist natural laws, but once this fine reason of ours was corrupted, it corrupted everything"

And there is a non-zero chance of infinite life (heaven), so why not believe? Oh, but what if that God requires child sacrifice? Well shit, its a non-zero chance, so here we go...

But Barry reminds us, much like ID, logic only applies to HIS version of god....

Boiled down, the unstated assumption of the Wager is that when we say “God exists” by “God” we mean the God described in the Bible. As long as there is a non-zero chance that that God exists the wager holds.

Funny some fundamentalist types use the same logic when blowing themselves up to get their 72 virgins in paradise....isn't ANYTHING worth eternal salvation?

Funny also that the lovers of Pascal forget he died in a ascetic heretic cult as a crazed 39 year old, flagellating himself and pressing skin with necklaces of thorns, denying himself the food and medicine that could have saved him, abandoning an amazing but too brief career in science and technology. No harm in belief???

10669 replies since Aug. 31 2011,21:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (356) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]