RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (356) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 4, Fostering a Greater Understanding of IDC< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 12 2012,09:20   

Quote (The whole truth @ Feb. 12 2012,08:49)
Barry Arrington
November 2nd, 2011 | 2:18 pm

This reminds me of the “butterfly” bill that came before my committee when I was in the legislature of my state. A teacher had the bright idea that her 6th grade class should have as a class project getting a law passed. After some deliberation they proposed a bill to make some butterfly or another the “state butterfly” of Colorado, and they convinced a legislator to actually carry the bill. When it got to my committee I lead a charge against it for much the same reason Joe explains. Except this was worse. A resolution is just a statement of collective opinion. It carries not force of law. Had it passed, this bill would have become law. Frankly, I was offended by this frivolous and insouciant approach to law, and I got the bill killed. My reward: Icy stares from the adults and rivers of tears from the students. I still think I did the right thing.

asshole

Totally. Fortunately, the Colorado Hairstreak Butterfly was made the official state insect on April 17, 1996.

www.colorado.gov/dpa/doit/archives/history/symbemb.htm

--------------
The struggle against ignorance is to the end of time. But it is said that if you die in tard, you will be reborn in Tardhalla.

10669 replies since Aug. 31 2011,21:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (356) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]