RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (22) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: The Skeptical Zone, with Lizzie< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Erasmus, FCD

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 26 2012,07:32   

Quote (keiths @ Sep. 26 2012,02:24)
Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,Sep. 25 2012,21:00)
but so what? no one is a committed creationist because they have reviewed the evidence.  they are pre-committed.

Well, we do it for amusement, of course, but some of us also do it for the onlookers.  Seriously.

I grew up an evangelical creationist and had to grow out of it in my teens.  Those were difficult years. It would have done me a world of good if I could have gone online and seen creationist arguments getting trounced on the Internet.

We may never persuade the hardened tards, but there are kids out there who are brainwashed, like I was, but smart enough to know a good argument when they see one.  They are still reachable.

well I understand the amusement for sure.  but onlooker is here already and i am not sure that there are really that many onlookers.

I grew up an evangelical creationist and had to grow out of it in my teens.  Those were difficult years. It would have done me a world of good if I could have gone online and seen creationist arguments getting trounced on the Internet.

Totally, me too.  But the reason why we de-tarded, and the tards haven't, is not because we had access to better arguments or information, but because we employed critical analysis to the claims of tard.

In my experience, you'll either do that, or you won't.  If you will, then you will drop ID tard on your own.  If you won't, no amount of thrashing with GAs or Weasel latches will convince you to detard.

How many people do you know that have de-tarded on the basis of your online dialogue?  I am skeptical that this is really anyone's basic motivation.

Even if it sounds good how could anyone possibly believe that they could reason someone out of a proposition which they did not reason themselves into?

--------------
You're obviously illiterate as hell. Peach, bro.-FtK

Finding something hard to believe based on the evidence, is science.-JoeG

the odds of getting some loathsome taint are low-- Gordon E Mullings Manjack Heights Montserrat

I work on molecular systems with pathway charts and such.-Giggles

638 replies since Aug. 15 2011,22:52 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (22) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]