RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (6) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Thoughts on Hell, for Kevin Miller's new Film, Hellbound< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
fnxtr

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 25 2011,02:18   

[quote=kevinmillerxi,Mar. 24 2011,22:52][/quote]

My thought process: If what we refer to as reason is nothing but the product of chance + necessity, then the outcome of our reasoning process couldn't be anything more than the same--a product of chance plus necessity. Therefore, the things we refer to as thoughts and arguments are of no more consequence than than the process in our body that manufactures insulin.  

Yeah... and?

If chance + necessity are the only forces at work in the universe shaping life and everything else we see around us (another way of saying random mutation plus natural selection), you can't sneak anything else in and pretend that the thoughts in your brain are a product of anything that would give them significance beyond what you ascribe to them. So why (1)give credence to them? (2)Why feel passionately about them?

1) Because they work.
2) Because we're wired that way.

I guess my point is, I hear a lot of people espousing an atheistic point of view but very people actually living out the logical consequences of that point of view. Even Will Provine, who has done as good a job as any of following things through to their logical conclusions, does not seem to live according to his espoused worldview.

But I'm off topic. This thread is supposed to be about hell.

Okay, that was sort of English... are you saying nihilism is the only logical consequence of atheism?

We're still social animals, and subject to the drives and reactions and values that helped us survive as such.  

Just because we don't see the point in believing in your imaginary friend doesn't mean we can't love our families. Can you not grasp that?

As for "reason", again: because it works! The volcano blew because magma forced its way through the earth's crust, not because we didn't sacrifice a virgin.

--------------
"But it's disturbing to think someone actually thinks creationism -- having put it's hand on the hot stove every day for the last 400 years -- will get a different result tomorrow." -- midwifetoad

174 replies since Mar. 23 2011,12:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (6) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]