» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (27) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: DI EN&V, Open comments and archive< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 20 2016,10:08   

Quote (sparc @ Sep. 20 2016,09:03)
here the book is listed under      
New Hardcover Mysteries for September 2016
Just wondering if this refers to the fact that such books still find some readership.

Depends if you're a Dan Brown clone fan.
After reading this
The Lost Symbol and The Da Vinci Code author Dan Brown's 20 worst sentences which has this gem

...Famously, comedian Stewart Lee mocked him for using the sentence “The famous man looked at the red cup” in his bestselling The Da Vinci Code....

I thought I'd spelunk briefly into the shallow fetid nether world of Fundy true crime fiction. And I was not disappointed....bingo! The THIRD! sentence begins with
Through bursts of showers on a chilly, black night,....

The above image was plagiarized from some smarty pants best selling author's web page here....
Dark and Stormy Was the Night: The Bulwer-Lytton Writing Contest
With amongst other quotable quotes ......this snotty nosed bit of snark. Quite my cup of tea really.

Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman did a riff on it in their wonderful novel, Good Omens:
“It wasn’t a dark and stormy night. It should have been, but there’s the weather for you. For every mad scientist who’s had a convenient thunderstorm just on the night his Great Work is complete and lying on the slab, there have been dozens who’ve sat around aimlessly under the peaceful stars while Igor clocks up the overtime.”

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus
"I'm busy studying scientist level science papers" Galloping Gary Gaulin

792 replies since Jan. 20 2011,10:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (27) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]